Venice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretFan1994
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Venice

Post by ClaretFan1994 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:40 am

Anyone on here been to Venice ? Or have any other relaxing but sightseeing destinations for a 3-4 day break for a birthday?

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Re: Venice

Post by dsr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 am

I've been to Venice, just for a day trip from Lake Maggiore. I wouldn't call it relaxing - it's a very busy city. Heaving with tourists, and this was in May. If you want to relax, you could stop by the lake (Desenzano, or Sirmione, perhaps) and do a day trip (by train) to Venice.

ClaretFan1994

Post by ClaretFan1994 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:01 am

I don’t mind sight seeing but also want to be able to sit and relax by the canals.. looking for November time, would you say it’s expensive ?

rishtonclaret
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by rishtonclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:49 am

It is reasonably expensive but in Venice itself the best and cheapest places to eat and drink are off the main squares and down the quieter streets. Venice is VERY busy all year round, well worth visiting but as previous posts I wouldn't say relaxing. To get the most out of it get there early before the crowds (& I mean early, before 9.30am) and if you can, avoid weekends and peak season. The Italian school holidays start second week June and add the the masses of foreign tourists. For a nice, relaxing beach nearby Lido di Jesolo is really nice and 45 minutes bus/boat ride away from Venice. Local buses and the boats to Venice are excellent but again, get there early to avoid really busy "queues". We were based there and it's a nice way of combining sight seeing in Venice with relaxation and the beaches in Lidi di Jesolo are so well looked after with lots of decent family run hotels. It's also less expensive basing yourself there and travelling into Venice. Hope that helps.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:24 am

As above, off season will be better and you don’t have to get too far from St Marks Square or Rialto Bridge to be away from the cruise ship crowds. Some of the smaller and quieter canals are just as picturesque.

If you can find somewhere to stay in Venice itself - try a small, independent apartment - it is useful for getting out early and seeing it before it’s too busy. I’d still definitely recommend it to anyone, there aren’t many beautiful cities built in the sea.
This user liked this post: Granny WeatherWax

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:02 am

Might be a bit cool in November for sitting and relaxing, though the crowds will be smaller. What about Dubrovnik, or Valletta, both a bit warmer and enough to occupy you for 3 or 4 days.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1663 times
Has Liked: 2972 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am

I went in November one year and it was great ....misty and atmospheric of an evening particularly and without the worst of the summer crowds. A place that exceeded my (already high) expectations.... just unique and truly beautiful whilst, tourist excesses notwithstanding, still feeling like an authentic place.
Take a boat from Fondamente Nuovo water bus stop to Burano ...the small island out in the lagoon beyond the cemetery island and Murano island. Very pretty and a great lunch trip.
There is a TV programme called Remarkable Places To Eat still on iPlayer at the moment where the chef Angela Harriett takes the French bloke (Fred ?) who maitre’d’s the restaurant in the “First Dates” programme to Venice to show him her 3 favourite restaurants. Recommend you watch it as it’s fascinating viewing and I reckon you might want to splash out at at least one of the venues.
This user liked this post: Sarum

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:15 am

Try and stay near the main vaperreta terminal, which is also close to the railway station. Its a nice walk into the centre via the alleyways or jump on a vaperrata and down the grand canal. Like others have said it can be expensive and cheap. The centre is over the top price wise, but one road back and bargains can be found. Evening time is best, when all the day trippers have gone, and the cruise passengers are back on the ships.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:15 am

Caballo wrote:Might be a bit cool in November for sitting and relaxing, though the crowds will be smaller. What about Dubrovnik, or Valletta, both a bit warmer and enough to occupy you for 3 or 4 days.
Valletta is not big enough to occupy 3/4 days unless you are an avid museum visitor. But Malta has a lot of other attractions, starting with the old capital Mdina.

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 am

Head to San Giorgio Maggiore Church, directly opposite from St. Marks Square. The Campanile is about €2 and you’ll see stunning views of Venice from the four viewing points.

Lido is great for getting away from the crowds and has very nice restaurants.

Murano is OK for an afternoon wander.

Venice itself can be a bit Marmite, so you’ll love it or hate it.

Plan your days, take it in and enjoy yourselves.
This user liked this post: Bobzuruncle

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 am

WARNING.
Be careful not to get caught out. I love Italy but this sort of thing is cropping up everywhere, especially whilst driving, and spoiling the day.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49054042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 am

We stayed at Punta Sabbioni. It's right at the end of Lido de Jesolo. Red hot so we left the windows open.
Weve never been bitten so bad by mozzies, they were evil take plenty repellent with you, the stronger the better.

We still loved Venice.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 am

ClaretFan1994 wrote:Anyone on here been to Venice ? Or have any other relaxing but sightseeing destinations for a 3-4 day break for a birthday?
I've visited Venice 3 times - and it's on my "list" to return again.

Took my young family once, stayed in an apartment just of the Grand Canal. Great to be "living there" for a week...

Last time was on a BA w/end break - flights and hotel very reasonable - just off St Mark's.

For a treat, if you can, get a water taxi from the airport - arrive "like a film star."

November should be good for all the tourist stuff. There's lots and lots to do.

Only thing to check on - what time of year does the city flood. I can imagine it's more limited if you can't walk freely across St Mark's Square.

Happy Birthday!

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1515 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 am

Go to the seafood restaurants on St Marcos Square. Go in the ones without prices on the menu, they're the best value (cheap as chips!)

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

I was there for a week earlier this year. What I like to do is just wander around the back alleys and see what I find. And if you go in St Mark's Cathedral it is well worth paying to go upstairs for the view inside the cathedral and then across the square. The treasury there is nothing much but the altar cloth is worth paying to see. I would also recommend buying a vaporetto ticket for the time you are there as cruising on the canals is also a pleasure and it is valid for travel to the islands as well.

ClaretFan1994

Post by ClaretFan1994 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

Who did you book through? Did you book flights & hotel through a company or do it all separate?

Hantsclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Hantsclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm

ClaretFan1994 wrote:Who did you book through? Did you book flights & hotel through a company or do it all separate?
We went in December - we got lucky with beautiful weather - and booked through BA Holidays - cheap as chips!

We stayed on Murano itself - really nice to be able to escape the crowds and plentiful water taxis to the main part of the city. Added bonus was a free boat trip to/from the airport on a private boat.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1996 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm

My Fav city in the World. Just walk eat and drink. Its safe and of course traffic free. Keep out of the tourist shops and restaurants and enjoy the locals cafes and bars. It is truly amazing and unique

ClaretFan1994

Post by ClaretFan1994 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks everyone.. not going in November now as we are away in October will hopefully go some point next year! Thanks for all the recommendations

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am

ClaretFan1994 wrote:I don’t mind sight seeing but also want to be able to sit and relax by the canals.. looking for November time, would you say it’s expensive ?
We've been. Nothing not to like but just a tick in the box for us. Other destinations in Italy such as Rome or the Amalfi Coast I could go to again and again. Is it expensive? In a word yes. A bit of a racket. Cost us 30 euros for two coffees in San Marco Piazza! That said for 4 days worth a visit.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:We've been. Nothing not to like but just a tick in the box for us. Other destinations in Italy such as Rome or the Amalfi Coast I could go to again and again. Is it expensive? In a word yes. A bit of a racket. Cost us 30 euros for two coffees in San Marco Piazza! That said for 4 days worth a visit.

As proved by this experience, when you do decide to go do some more internet research on where to go for eating and drinking and ultimately where to avoid, this is a classic tourist trap; a 5 min walk and you'll find coffees for 3/4 euros max. There were some articles recently of some tourists being robbed of hundreds of euros for a couple of dishes of fried fish and some wine because they didn't look at menus, didn't know any Italian and were taken the **** out of basically; Italians are experts in fleecing people esp. in the popular tourist places.

The problem with Venice is the day-trippers; if you go for a day then it's too big and manic to appreciate, it is like a big maze and needs time to get to know. Take your time, go for 3/4 days, visit the other islands as well and just wander round and relax; you can't really sit by the canals and chill out but exploring each quarter (sestiere) slowly and visiting the main churches and museums and you'll easily get to feel Venice's important history and its uniqueness as a city. I love Venice as an amateur photographer, a great city if you like wandering around & taking photos. There is also the footy team to go and watch.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am

Take your wellies. It can be wet under foot, if you go wrong.

Sarum
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by Sarum » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 am

Early May: very busy, but not excessively so the year we went. Early December: much quieter, probably because it's quite chilly. 3-4 days as suggested is ideal, as you get plenty of time to explore each district. Being a small, compact city with only boats for traffic it's a pleasure to just wander its warren of streets, especially those away from where tourists tend to congregate.