1st Match of the Season...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

1st Match of the Season...

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi all,

Que sera sera What will be will be (sure there is a song in there) with transfers, but 1 thing we all agree on, outside of all the bickering, is we are all Burnley FC fans and supporters. Some watch from afar via TV/Streaming, and some attend every match religiously, both are still Fans and Supporters and we have common ground.
I personally have started planing already for Saturday, and going to deviate slightly from the usual routine to have a look at the Vintage Claret bar, as my old pre match watering hole (Irish (Burnley) League) was knocked down, then Park View went, and I don't really like the Miners, so looking for a new tied on routine place pre and after match. That aside my Son and I will be out for a breakfast then in to town slow walk to the ground via a few pubs and then BANG the hairs stand up on my arms and Neck FOOTBALL IS BACK and we can sit in our seats in JHU (a few rows back from CT and Redbeard) look at the fantastic Turf, and the fantastic scenery and join in with 20'000 like minded fans and thousands streaming the game in supporting the team as vocally as we possibly can to try and get that cauldron going and be that 12th man. There is no doubt about it, atmosphere is some times a miss at the Turf but 1st Match of the season is always rocking and is a special part of the year for my son and I.
I know CT likes his Parkview fish and chips, although as he once told me "dont tell the wife", but what about you all, is it a case of just turn up to the Turf, or do you have a match day pub routine etc, forget the transfer circus lets start looking forward to Saturday, and getting behind the 1 thing we all have common ground on.

UTC NNN COYC :D
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper Vegas Claret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2033 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Re: 1st Match of the Season...

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:18 pm

I will be watching via an extremely legal stream from the tinterweb in Bristol, whilst my laptop tells everyone I am in Luxembourg or Czech Republic.

...and I can't bloody wait!!
These 6 users liked this post: ClaretAL Bosscat Longsider theroyaldyche whiffa Narwhalchomper

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Few pints in the miners watch the dinner time game then off to match, boring but been doing it for years and still get butterflies when going through the jmcu turnstiles.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretAL Foshiznik

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Echo that.

Going to a Burnley game isn't just about watching the 90 minutes, is it? It's about the day; the drive over, having lunch in the town, watching the players warm up, of course the action and then analysing every moment on the way home. And don't forget checking all the other scores.

Glad it's back!
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Will be sat in front of this thing hoping to get a stream and take it from there .
Always love the craic on here before and after the game as we always have a thread going and weather reports from around the world to kick it all off .

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Will be up at 5.30am...3 trains to catch.....will meet my brother in Leeds station at 10:30 then my pal Steve outside the Turf ( he'll be as nervous as me). Then leave Burnley on the 18:21 home around midnight. A few beers.many laughs with friends and family, sore throat and three points (please).

UTC
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Aclaret ClaretAL

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Beers in the Woodman with my cousin, and friends, work out what the score will be and what position we will finish in the league, write off the cup games, discuss the present squad, then down to the Turf all ready for another season, which will be my 70th. STILL excited as I was as a teenager!!

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:45 pm

turfytopper wrote:Will be up at 5.30am...3 trains to catch.....will meet my brother in Leeds station at 10:30 then my pal Steve outside the Turf ( he'll be as nervous as me). Then leave Burnley on the 18:21 home around midnight. A few beers.many laughs with friends and family, sore throat and three points (please).

UTC

Hope it's not Northern Rail
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Pick my Brother up 1.45pm. Wife drops us at the bus stop on Belvedere Rd (Wife goes shopping :roll:)

Post match meet up with wife in TKMaxx car park ... Drive back and wife takes car and shopping home, while we go to Boars Head, several pints and pick over the match with 3 other Clarets (when they arrive back) and some Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool fans.

7pm head home for matchday Steak trimmings and a bottle of wine....

God I love Saturday match days :D :D
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper ClaretAL

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:23 pm

That sounds like a damn good Saturday Bosscat.
I too usually have a Steak and a bottle of red, which always tastes better following a win.
Roll on Saturday, I've missed footy more than I thought. UTC.

Burnleybabe
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Burnleybabe » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:31 pm

After having another Discectomy and Decompression Surgery yesterday.
I will be looking for a stream to watch from Home.
Looks like I will miss a few games.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:35 pm

I'll miss it as well. I had hernia repair surgery last Friday and it's left me with a chest infection.
I'll be there for the Liverpool match, though.

holdyourfire
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by holdyourfire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Hroogar wrote:Beers in the Woodman with my cousin, and friends, work out what the score will be and what position we will finish in the league, write off the cup games, discuss the present squad, then down to the Turf all ready for another season, which will be my 70th. STILL excited as I was as a teenager!!
Will also be in the woodman,with three mates,my two sons and my grandson.Only done 55 years goin ont turf.But still up for it as ever.

claretburns
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Wake up about 9, a couple of bacon butties, get to Burnley about 11:30, walk down to Turf to pick up my new season tickets, back into town to meet some mates for a few beers, check the fixtures have a couple of bets, then round to Turf for the big kick off, walk back into town afterwards check the bets and berate some team like Scunthorpe for conceding in the last minute and losing me £100, few more beers to forget the pain, train back home around 9pm then meet some friends and a few more beers, before waking up on Sunday with a sore head to watch MOTD. Cannot wait! :D

Burnleybabe

Post by Burnleybabe » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:I'll miss it as well. I had hernia repair surgery last Friday and it's left me with a chest infection.
Hope you recover soon.
As it is the second time I have had it done, my recovery will be longer than the last time.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:19 pm

holdyourfire wrote:Will also be in the woodman,with three mates,my two sons and my grandson.Only done 55 years goin ont turf.But still up for it as ever.
See you there hyf, I'll be the old chap wearing a claret and blue scarf!! Great to see all your family supporting my team!!

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Burnleybabe wrote:Hope you recover soon.
As it is the second time I have had it done, my recovery will be longer than the last time.
I'm fine, thanks, burnleybabe, I' ve no pain at all from the surgery.
But the chest infection has been a bit nasty, though I'm over the worst now. Taking it very easy for the next few days.
Hope you are back on your feet soon

Burnleybabe

Post by Burnleybabe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:03 am

lakedistrictclaret wrote:I'm fine, thanks, burnleybabe, I' ve no pain at all from the surgery.
But the chest infection has been a bit nasty, though I'm over the worst now. Taking it very easy for the next few days.
Hope you are back on your feet soon
Thanks the Morphine tablets and medicine are helping with the pain.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:I'll miss it as well. I had hernia repair surgery last Friday and it's left me with a chest infection.
That was a bloody high hernia mate.
Seriously I had a double hernia op around Feb/March time (fine now - back to working out and lifting stupid weights) but post op I couldn't 'go' (not an unusual thing apparently) and wound up with a bloody catheter for nearly a month. Tell you what though the good people at Blackburn Hospital were brilliant when I staggered into A&E creased up double with pain, was seen within 5 minutes and that catheter was probably one of the best things I've ever had - oh the relief! Can't say the following 3/4 weeks were all that pleasant though.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Beers in Billet, bus down, bus back, gin in Billet.