BREAKING NEWS: Drinkwater signs to fill the midfield gap

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Drinkwater signs to fill the midfield gap

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 am

We wanted Heaton to leave?

It’s been a 6/10 window. We desperately needed some additional pace in the squad but we haven’t provided it. Drinkwater still has some question marks for me (esp being temporary) and losing the club captain is a big one. On the flip side, Jay Rod is a good acquisition who provides something different up top while Pieters is solid enough to provide competition.

A good window, not great.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 am

Would expect Jay to start given goals scored pre season
Pieters or Gibson on bench with Bardsley
As only signed yesterday can't see Drinkwater on bench (Lennon and Hendrick with two strikers)

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 am

Would you be happy having DD here only until January if it meant Defour played in every game from then on in?
It might have been part of our thinking.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:40 am

Im very glad we got DD and content with the window but "Far better than good" is just as ridiculous as the ones still moaning and saying it has been terrible.

We have done the bare minimum we needed and any less would have been poor so for me it is just OK. Given the constraints we give ourselves (for good reason) then OK is probably as good as we could hope for so I would expect the majority of us to be happy and looking forward to Saturday and the start of the season

DD in for Westwood and Jay in for Barnes and I think we are starting to get back to a team with the balance and quality that started the 17/18 season.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:51 am

FactualFrank wrote:Would you be happy having DD here only until January if it meant Defour played in every game from then on in?
It might have been part of our thinking.
I hope none of our thinking is based in n Defour having a run of games!

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:58 am

Vino blanco wrote:The signings of Drinkwater, Jayrod and Pieters for the first team have got to be seen as very positive. Just a thought though: how many of these three will be in the starting 11 on Saturday? I wonder.
The point is though that none of them would weaken the first team and may even improve it.

I like this window. We've got in three first team players plus a few younger ones with potential and we've lost a goalkeeper who seemed to want to leave when we are more then adequately covered in that position.

That's much better then bringing in seven or eight first team squad players and hoping they''ll fit in somehow.

Overall, on paper anyway, it looks like we've made some more progress. Now let's see if we really have!
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 am

Absolutely made up with this transfer window. Seeing CTs 2 different 11s brings the reality home of how strong our squad now is. Barring injuries which have plagued certain players we could be in for a really strong season. IF Defour can get and firing again too then wow that is some midfield we have (in Burnley terms of course)

UTC

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Have we ever had a player who’s been signed for more money in his career?
Including inflation, we had Kevin Reeves and Steve Daley when John Bond was here - they were £1 million players in their day - not to mention Tommy Hutchison who turned out better for us then those two (I suppose I could add Gerry Gow, but I won't :D ). Fun times.

And of course we had former world class players in Gascoigne and Wright when Stan was here.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:13 am

DD in forWestwood???? I assume you meant Cork Devils Advocate.Westwood was our best player last season.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

The Drinkwater Deal

Post by burnley007 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 am

When will we know any more info about the deal? (If ever??)

Do we have him for the season, or is he going back to Chelsea in January?
Do we have an option to buy?
Are we paying all of his wages?

It's all a bit secretive.

Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by 2510 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am

ClaretTony wrote:No, it's been done to enable Chelsea (and us for that matter) the option to make a decision in January. If they got an offer for him they could sell him.

Now that makes sense.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Re: The Drinkwater Deal

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:19 am

Hardly secretive, he’s signed to the 6th January.

If there is an option extend the loan or make the move permanent then only time will tell.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:19 am

Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:25 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?
there is already TFC. That gold medal winner from China, when he's full of Benylin and Tixylix, he can go like the clappers...

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:25 am

It was only ever going to be till January. Chelsea have a transfer embargo, and cannot sign anyone in January, so need the option to recall him if they have injuries. If they don't have injuries, he stays.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:31 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?
Sabu could run faster than an Elephant :D

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am

Why?? This reply is the epitome of everything that is wrong with this messageboard.
pointless, not funny and completely unhelpful.

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am

Grumps wrote:It was only ever going to be till January. Chelsea have a transfer embargo, and cannot sign anyone in January, so need the option to recall him if they have injuries. If they don't have injuries, he stays.
So, we have no say in it?

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:38 am

Grumps wrote:It was only ever going to be till January. Chelsea have a transfer embargo, and cannot sign anyone in January, so need the option to recall him if they have injuries. If they don't have injuries, he stays.
I also wonder whether the player himself had a hand in this - if he plays out of his skin between now and 6th January, then he’s good enough on his day to see a team that are able (and willing) to pay him the wage he’s on now at Chelski, come in and offer him a permanent move.

If that scenario plays out, we’ll have had one hell of a first half of the season and if it doesn't, well then we may we’ll get to keep him beyond 6th January.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 am

burnley007 wrote:Why?? This reply is the epitome of everything that is wrong with this messageboard.
I thought it was funny.

And in response to the questions in the OP, why does it matter to you, as a supporter?

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 am

tim_noone wrote:Sabu could run faster than an Elephant :D

So can I when its chasing me

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:46 am

burnley007 wrote:Why?? This reply is the epitome of everything that is wrong with this messageboard.
About as helpful and with as much point as starting a new thread even though the subject has been discussed in depth.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=41036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by TheFamilyCat on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 am

I bet Muchacho can.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:51 am

Marney&Mee wrote:there is already TFC. That gold medal winner from China, when he's full of Benylin and Tixylix, he can go like the clappers...
Fill me up with senna and I go like the clappers too.
Although by then one has to hope there is no busted flush!!!!!!!!!

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:55 am

Whatever the outcome might be in Jan, this buys us time. A permanent signing sounds improbable due to likely wage demands. If he doesn’t prove to be what we need, we don’t have to continue with him after Jan . If Chelsea take him back inJan and he’s playing out of his skin, we can only hope that we have planned well in advance to bring in someone else in or we have a fully fit Defour. Let’s see what the next 5 months brings.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:55 am

The Enclosure wrote:DD in forWestwood???? I assume you meant Cork Devils Advocate.Westwood was our best player last season.
Totally agree. Cork seemed to be very lucky to keep his place in the team last season, and if we had had more options one would have hoped that Dyche would have rested him. (He looked tired and lightweight at times).
I think SD will start with Cork and Westwood tomorrow, and it will be up to both of them to keep their place ahead of DD, but based on last season it's more likely that DD will be replacing Cork either as a sub or in the starting line-up.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am

Burtonwoodclaret wrote:Whatever the outcome might be in Jan, this buys us time. A permanent signing sounds improbable due to likely wage demands. If he doesn’t prove to be what we need, we don’t have to continue with him after Jan . If Chelsea take him back inJan and he’s playing out of his skin, we can only hope that we have planned well in advance to bring in someone else in or we have a fully fit Defour. Let’s see what the next 5 months brings.
I reckon Burnley will sign him.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

claretdons
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by claretdons » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:59 am

A really good signing, the only slight downside is it’s until January. We’ll see what happens then. I’m hoping it gets extended to the end of the season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:13 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Im very glad we got DD and content with the window but "Far better than good" is just as ridiculous as the ones still moaning and saying it has been terrible.

We have done the bare minimum we needed and any less would have been poor so for me it is just OK. Given the constraints we give ourselves (for good reason) then OK is probably as good as we could hope for so I would expect the majority of us to be happy and looking forward to Saturday and the start of the season

DD in for Westwood and Jay in for Barnes and I think we are starting to get back to a team with the balance and quality that started the 17/18 season.
Jay's pushing for a start i'd agree,but DD for Westwood,you've got to be on the wind-up,Cork and Westwood will start,but DD should be on the bench, whether he'll feature at any point might depend how the match pans out,if hopefully we're 2/3 ahead with 10/15 minutes to go he could well get a brief run-out.

Jack Cork should be looking over his shoulder,but that's what we need competition for places,no-one should be an automatic starter,finally we've got options if players aren't pulling their weight.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am

Honestly, its mood hoovers galore on this board.

This is now the strongest squad I've seen at Burnley. Well balanced with competition in every position and most of them know their way ground the premier league.

I can genuinely see us having another top 10 finish this season.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:18 am

claretdons wrote:A really good signing, the only slight downside is it’s until January. We’ll see what happens then. I’m hoping it gets extended to the end of the season.
It also depends on when SD thinks he's fit enough to play. Hopefully he'll be up and running this month.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:34 am

It seems that he dcoesn't fit into Lampards plans. So the current short term loan appears to be good for him and for Burnley, as they get a look at each other. Outside of a top six club who would pay him £110,000/week? Not many. Get fit at Burnley play out of his skin, make the move permanent on reduced wages and a price reflecting his age and current status at Chelsea and maybe he can get a transfer in a year or 18 months if he wants one.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am

tiger76 wrote:Jay's pushing for a start i'd agree,but DD for Westwood,you've got to be on the wind-up,Cork and Westwood will start,but DD should be on the bench, whether he'll feature at any point might depend how the match pans out,if hopefully we're 2/3 ahead with 10/15 minutes to go he could well get a brief run-out.

Jack Cork should be looking over his shoulder,but that's what we need competition for places,no-one should be an automatic starter,finally we've got options if players aren't pulling their weight.
I think you've misunderstood me. I dont expect DD or possibly even Jay to come straight into the team but will need to win their spot.

I just thing the best team that will emerge will be Cork and DD in centre mid and Jay playing behind Wood up front. I thought Westwood was better than Cork last season but not by much and that was Westwood playing at the top of his game and Cork out of form.

Cork looked far better with Defour alongside him and I think with DD in there instead of Westwood we will see the Cork of 17/18 who is (IMO) better than Westwood. I also think Cork will benefit from having a striker like Jay who can drop deep and link the midfield to the attack a bit like Hendrick used to do in his #10 role

Agree though nobody's automatic and the main thing is to have genuine you competition for a starting slot which we now have up front and in midfields.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 am

My mate has a drinking pal called Roman who supports Chelsea.

He said the loan is for 6 months because Chelsea want the option to recall if we are above them in the league at Christmas
This user liked this post: longhair

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:14 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:it is a strong squad but to say this window has been good for us is totally wrong. we have signed 3 players from the championship and a guy who hasnt played for 2 years nearly.
Dybala didn't want to come
Ronaldo didn't think he was good enough for us
Messi wanted to stay at Barcelona but appreciated our approach

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this clip but looks like we have signed a top player here it's so long since we have seen him I forgot how good he was

https://youtu.be/U_76hAL7iBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: Tall Paul Rick_Muller

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:it is a strong squad but to say this window has been good for us is totally wrong. we have signed 3 players from the championship and a guy who hasnt played for 2 years nearly.
That's not a new problem. We've been signing players from the Championship for years. Pope, Heaton, Arfield, Westwood, Barnes, Wood, Gudmondsson, Taylor, Ward, Jones, Tarkowski, Vokes, Ings ...

How can we hope to build a Premier League side that way? :roll:
This user liked this post: Falcon

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Football is like riding a bike once you have done it you never forget,Drinkwater is a class footballer he will be fine

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm

tim_noone wrote:I reckon Burnley will sign him.
I think that after half a season with us he'll be knocking on the England squad again and be enjoying playing for us. Lets hope he's astute and knows which side his breads buttered, and he chooses to stay and tries to help that along, so I hope he signs for us too.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this clip but looks like we have signed a top player here it's so long since we have seen him I forgot how good he was

https://youtu.be/U_76hAL7iBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazed we got him, he will be one of the best English players outside the top 4 if he finds his form

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Amazed we got him, he will be one of the best English players outside the top 4 if he finds his form
Looked really good in the clips,and he couldn't get a game at Chelsea.....strange one

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Looked really good in the clips,and he couldn't get a game at Chelsea.....strange one
he was phenomenal for Leicester, long while ago though so he has to rediscover that. I'm praying he can though as he will make us a different side, serious quality.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:32 pm

I think most fans will agree that we have strengthened the squad especially
with the addition of Drinkwater even though the loss of Heaton is a blow albeit
if Pope can fill the gap with performances we know he's capable of then no one will be
that concerned about the loss of Heaton.

So, not a bad window but not really a great window.
We've a better squad without spending much at all.

The question is whether or how many other teams have also strengthened their squads?
And by how much?
From what I can see most teams have done so and have spend considerable more than us
in the process.
That as we all know doesn't guarantee success but the fans of Brighton, Newcastle
(and one or two others) will be thinking that their team is better than last seasons.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:42 pm

jurek wrote:I think most fans will agree that we have strengthened the squad especially
with the addition of Drinkwater even though the loss of Heaton is a blow albeit
if Pope can fill the gap with performances we know he's capable of then no one will be
that concerned about the loss of Heaton.

So, not a bad window but not really a great window.
We've a better squad without spending much at all.

The question is whether or how many other teams have also strengthened their squads?
And by how much?
From what I can see most teams have done so and have spend considerable more than us
in the process.
That as we all know doesn't guarantee success but the fans of Brighton, Newcastle
(and one or two others) will be thinking that their team is better than last seasons.

All we know for now is which players everyone has bought. Whether they have improved their squads or not is an unknown until we're a good chunk of the way through the season, perhaps unknown until the season is all done and dusted in May.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Looked really good in the clips,and he couldn't get a game at Chelsea.....strange one
New manager at the time, Sarri, didn't rate him or think he suited the style of play he wanted to implement.
Lampard possibly has the same opinion, who knows.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 pm

What you really see in those YouTube clips is the quality of his long passing and his ability to switch the play quickly. That's going to be good news for Wood, but it could also be particularly good news for Lennon - those balls will give him an opportunity to use his pace to attack space, which is not an option we've had in the 18 months since he joined.

Not sure why he's not made it at Chelsea - but both Sarri and Lampard favour a 4-3-3 set up and that probably doesn't ideally suit Drinkwater - and he's probably not quite good enough for the top 6 in the first place.