VAR ... is this the logic they will use

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Re: VAR ... is this the logic they will use

Post by Siddo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am

I thought it worked well yesterday on the Turf. Not many saw Adam's foul, Barnes was offside for Wood's goal, and Gudmonsson won the ball fairly .
In another day without VAR those decisions might have gone the other way, particularly against a top 6 team.
We might not like the decisions made by VAR, but it evens out the playing field for teams like us.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am

Isn't Jesus's left foot making him off side. With that picture we are not viewing it directly in line. I'm not a lover of var at the moment but will wait and see how it unfolds.

BigAlClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by BigAlClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am

The offside decision would have stood last year and we could have debated it and criticised it all day long.Now we can argue about the methods used to resolve it in seconds. I thought VAR added a new level of interest to a very average first half.Perhaps change isn't always a bad thing.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:36 am

It dampened down my celebration for the second goal today. I sit behind the goal and Barnes was in so much space I thought he was off. I maintain that the captains should be given 2 challenges to decisions per game to be used when he wants. If he is correct he keeps the challenge. Exactly like cricket.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:55 am

Do you think VAR will work to stop ref bias towards the big clubs?
Will be interesting to see who loses most decisions.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 am

It was said that yesterday’s ref needed to check with VAR after he’d taken a sh1t
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6959 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:It dampened down my celebration for the second goal today. I sit behind the goal and Barnes was in so much space I thought he was off. I maintain that the captains should be given 2 challenges to decisions per game to be used when he wants. If he is correct he keeps the challenge. Exactly like cricket.
I don’t really understand people’s clamour for a captain’s challenge. Putting this into the hand of the players is open to abuse. And you’d have 4 guaranteed VAR reviews every game regardless. Most importantly, it won’t do what VAR is intended to do and that is to get all of the important decisions right.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am

steve1264b wrote:Do you think VAR will work to stop ref bias towards the big clubs?
Will be interesting to see who loses most decisions.
I agree. The handball ones will be interesting as I don’t think they have a clue what should and should not be given as a pen. Closeness to where the ball as kicked from, body position, arms in natural position etc etc. Will see whether the big clubs get any extra benefit of doubt....

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3188 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am

KlyBfc wrote:For me if the VAR officials need to watch more than two replays then the decision on the field should stand. If they need to go to the lines and to millimetres then decisions either way should stand.
I’ve said the same many times

If you can’t decide after then, then it can’t be clear & obvious

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:06 am

Rileybobs wrote:I don’t really understand people’s clamour for a captain’s challenge. Putting this into the hand of the players is open to abuse. And you’d have 4 guaranteed VAR reviews every game regardless. Most importantly, it won’t do what VAR is intended to do and that is to get all of the important decisions right.
How can it be abused, if you waste them on nothing incidents then you lose them and can’t challenge goals etc. There were at least four checks in our game yesterday.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6959 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:12 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:How can it be abused, if you waste them on nothing incidents then you lose them and can’t challenge goals etc. There were at least four checks in our game yesterday.
They can be abused by players trying to break up the flow of the game, to waste time or relieve pressure. A late goal would always be challenged by the opposition because they have nothing to lose. You see similar incidents in cricket.

2 reviews each would guarantee 4 every game. Yesterday, the only incident which wasn’t a goal that was reviewed was the Adams’ challenge. There was a short delay after the JBG goal and a delay after Wood’s disallowed goal. Both of those incidents would have been reviewed by the respective teams the outcome would have been the same.

Limiting to 2 each per game means that teams are still likely to be on the wrong end of key decisions at the end of the 90 minutes so in that case you may as well scrap VAR altogether.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am

Rileybobs wrote:They can be abused by players trying to break up the flow of the game, to waste time or relieve pressure. A late goal would always be challenged by the opposition because they have nothing to lose. You see similar incidents in cricket.

2 reviews each would guarantee 4 every game. Yesterday, the only incident which wasn’t a goal that was reviewed was the Adams’ challenge. There was a short delay after the JBG goal and a delay after Wood’s disallowed goal. Both of those incidents would have been reviewed by the respective teams the outcome would have been the same.

Limiting to 2 each per game means that teams are still likely to be on the wrong end of key decisions at the end of the 90 minutes so in that case you may as well scrap VAR altogether.
No need because everything is reviewed anyway

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:39 am

Not a fan of VAR but been encouraged by the way it was used in our game and in the othe live games I saw. Excluding offside it does seem that the attitude the Prem League has taken is stay with the on field decision as much as possible and embrace the obvious mistake principle.

With regards the offside rule I hate it that things like the Man City goal is getting ruled out but unfortunately as CU, Spiral, Riley and others have pointed out there is no subjective interpretation in on or offside so close decisions will be reviewed and the technology will give a definitive decision

The idea of advantage to the attacker goes out the window cos that was for linesmen and refs when it was so close and they were really unsure. This uncertainty is now superceded by VAR

Personally Id rather have human refs and accept mistakes are made but a lot of media, managers and fans have absolutely no respect for that notion so VAR has ended up inevitable

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am

Siddo wrote:I thought it worked well yesterday on the Turf. Not many saw Adam's foul, Barnes was offside for Wood's goal, and Gudmonsson won the ball fairly .
In another day without VAR those decisions might have gone the other way, particularly against a top 6 team.
We might not like the decisions made by VAR, but it evens out the playing field for teams like us.
Can someone talk me through what happened for The first disallowed goal? I was watching in a bar on holiday without sound, but it looked a right mess and I’m not sure VAR was even used.

The linesman put his flag up as soon as the defender slipped, implying an offside when the ball was originally played through. As I understand VAR rules, he’s not supposed to do this unless he’s on no doubt. The ball is then put in the net by a possibly offside Barnes, and then it’s sent for review, but surely if the offside is given on the pitch, it cant be overturned anyway as the Soton players could argue they’d stopped playing?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

scouseclaret wrote:Can someone talk me through what happened for The first disallowed goal? I was watching in a bar on holiday without sound, but it looked a right mess and I’m not sure VAR was even used.

The linesman put his flag up as soon as the defender slipped, implying an offside when the ball was originally played through. As I understand VAR rules, he’s not supposed to do this unless he’s on no doubt. The ball is then put in the net by a possibly offside Barnes, and then it’s sent for review, but surely if the offside is given on the pitch, it cant be overturned anyway as the Soton players could argue they’d stopped playing?
The ref ignored the flag and didnt blow so the game did continue and noone stopped. The goal would have stood had Barnes been onside.

I thought the idea was to keep the flag down but maybe the refs, managers and players have all been briefed that the flag will go up but play to the whistle as the ref will let the play go to see if it leads to a goal. Alternatively the linesman made an error force of habit and all that

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 am

Has anyone actually seen the Wood disallowed goal with the line drawn to demonstrate that Barnes was offside? MOTD just showed a very quick replay of this.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 am

When the Watford free kick hit Murray on the arm whilst he was stood in the wall I thought under the new rules that was a penalty.

I'm a bit confused by that one.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:18 am

Spijed wrote:When the Watford free kick hit Murray on the arm whilst he was stood in the wall I thought under the new rules that was a penalty.

I'm a bit confused by that one.
Rules have been rewritten and think key ones relating to that incident are if its accidental either the players arm has to be in a position that has made their body unnaturally bigger or it needs to be above the shoulder

I think the first one is fine and it was weather the hand was above the shoulder. I cant Remember if it was but I think it may have been level.

This was one of the decisions that encouraged me cos the way VAR judged handball in the Champions league was farcical

I got the new rules of this website: https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02 ... to-effect/

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am

Foulthrow wrote:Has anyone actually seen the Wood disallowed goal with the line drawn to demonstrate that Barnes was offside? MOTD just showed a very quick replay of this.
Just looked at it back on the live stream and on the replay Barnes was clearly ahead of the defender by bout half a yard so there was no need to freeze frame it and show any lines.

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:35 am

Juan Tanamera wrote:"Waiting for red card decision"
What on earth was that about?
Saw the Adams challenge on Mee on sky last night. I wondered at the time what it was about. After seeing it I think he was lucky not to have been given a red.
Challenges are always going to be down to the interpretation of who is reviewing it.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8518 times
Has Liked: 18265 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Has anyone actually seen the Wood disallowed goal with the line drawn to demonstrate that Barnes was offside? MOTD just showed a very quick replay of this.
Just watched the full match on Sky and Barnes was in an offside position for the disallowed goal.... no lines drawn on the pitch etc by VAR, but he was deffo offside in the build up.

The one I don't get is how the VAR lot didn't uphold the Red for studs raked down Bens shin "from knee to ankle" by Adams
Last edited by Bosscat on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Apparently because Adams touched the ball first, it was a genuine attempt to play the ball, should have been a yellow though.