Match of the Day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Re: Match of the Day

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 am

Tall Paul wrote:Why do you think VAR should have been used in that instance?

They're only using it for goals, penalties and red cards.
I reckon it’s because it was a match turning event that the Referee should’ve been made aware of.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I reckon it’s because it was a match turning event that the Referee should’ve been made aware of.
A free kick on the right hand side of the area and a yellow card for Gunn is a match turning event?

I thought we didn't want VAR to be too intrusive and cause lots of delays. If we're reviewing every potential yellow card incident, the game would go on forever.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 am

Ian Wright is up there with Garth Crooks as the bell-end of bell/ends in punditry .Not helped by him being seemingly illiterate and unable to string a sentence together . As for the little old Jewish grandmother presenting it who is she?
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 am

Tall Paul wrote:A free kick on the right hand side of the area and a yellow card for Gunn is a match turning event?
‘Keepers straying our of their box with the ball in their hands often leads to Red Cards(though I don’t think it would have in this instance), and is a fundamental rule violation of the Game.
It could also have led to a goal, if the keeper would have properly let the ball go when he realised he was carrying it out of the area, he’d have been way out of position for the ball being picked up by one of our players.

VAR is supposed to assist Refs to make the right calls on the fundamentals of the game. It could’ve helped with this.
And don’t get me started on the non red card event.
VAR clearly saw a red card offence, put it up on the screen, and it was ignored by the Ref. An explanation of the process of this would be obliging.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 am

I was sat in the JMU in line with it and although his feet were out side the area he had turned his body so his hands were inside
This user liked this post: jrtod61

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 am

Lord Beamish wrote:‘Keepers straying our of their box with the ball in their hands often leads to Red Cards(though I don’t think it would have in this instance), and is a fundamental rule violation of the Game.
It could also have led to a goal, if the keeper would have properly let the ball go when he realised he was carrying it out of the area, he’d have been way out of position for the ball being picked up by one of our players.
Every foul is a fundamental rule violation of the game.

It's only a red card offence if it's deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity. There were no Burnley players anywhere near him so it couldn't be denying a goalscoring opportunity and would only have been a yellow. VAR isn't used for yellow card incidents, therefore it was correct not to refer it to VAR.

You seem to be arguing in your second paragraph that it was denying a goalscoring opportunity after saying in your first that you didn't think it was a red.
VAR is supposed to assist Refs to make the right calls on the fundamentals of the game. It could’ve helped with this.
No, VAR is supposed to be used to ensure goals, red cards and penalties are awarded correctly.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 am

Lord Beamish wrote: And don’t get me started on the non red card event. VAR clearly saw a red card offence, put it up on the screen, and it was ignored by the Ref. An explanation of the process of this would be obliging.
VAR refs told the referee not to restart play while they checked a potential red card. But they deemed it not worthy of a sending off.

However in those situations refs can’t give yellow cards afterwards, so the player was unpunished.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am

claptrappers_union wrote:VAR refs told the referee not to restart play while they checked a potential red card. But they deemed it not worthy of a sending off.

However in those situations refs can’t give yellow cards afterwards, so the player was unpunished.
This is one of the areas they need to work on. If the guy that followed through on Ben gets a yellow later on he stays on the pitch. He should be getting a yellow even if it is accidental so surely no reason why the VAR ref shouldn’t say no red but give him a yellow. It’s like doing half a job when they have the ability to check something.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:22 am

Tall Paul wrote:Every foul is a fundamental rule violation of the game.

You seem to be arguing in your second paragraph that it was denying a goalscoring opportunity after saying in your first that you didn't think it was a red.
I didn’t think it was a Red because it wasnt a ‘clear’ goal scoring opportunity. A player dropping the ball on the edge of the area to avoid carrying it out, or leaving it when he realises he’s going to take it out, and thus being out of position, is a potential goal scoring opportunity. Therefor, Yellow.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:26 am

Tall Paul wrote:Every foul is a fundamental rule violation of the game.

It's only a red card offence if it's deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity. There were no Burnley players anywhere near him so it couldn't be denying a goalscoring opportunity and would only have been a yellow. VAR isn't used for yellow card incidents, therefore it was correct not to refer it to VAR.

The fact that the ‘Keeper is the only person who can handle the ball leagally on the field of play, and only within his 18 yard box, is utterly fundamental to the Rules, Notion, and Spirit of the Game. Their ‘Keeper gained an unfair advantage against our Team by violating this most fundamental rule of the game. If VAR cannot assist the Refs in this situation, then I really don’t think it’s being used to its full potential.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:33 am

There, in theory, could be goal line technology on the edges of the box to check for situations like keepers handling inside or out. This might be one of the next evolutions.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:38 am

Lord Beamish wrote:The fact that the ‘Keeper is the only person who can handle the ball leagally on the field of play, and only within his 18 yard box, is utterly fundamental to the Rules, Notion, and Spirit of the Game. Their ‘Keeper gained an unfair advantage against our Team by violating this most fundamental rule of the game. If VAR cannot assist the Refs in this situation, then I really don’t think it’s being used to its full potential.
So you want more VAR with more stoppages and delays? Fair enough.

Are there any more yellow card offences you want to review or just goalkeepers handling the ball outside the box?

I'm not sure why you think that law is so fundamental either. A goalkeeper is treated the same as any outfield player outside his penalty area, so for consistency, all handballs would need to be reviewed by VAR.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:41 am

Why did I just hear Brighton fans singing ‘we’re going to win the league’ after being 2-0 up at the mighty Watford.

They are such a set of tw-ats.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am

Tall Paul wrote:So you want more VAR with more stoppages and delays? Fair enough.

Are there any more yellow card offences you want to review or just goalkeepers handling the ball outside the box?
That’s clearly not what I said. I said I want VAR to be used to discern if a ‘Keeper has handled the ball out of the box. I also explained why I thought that that was important. Carry on straw-manning me, if you wish, but this is my final word on the matter with you.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:44 am

Irony is wasted with some on here, but yes they are a set of Tw-ts :lol:
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:44 am

wickdkewlclaret wrote:Why did I just hear Brighton fans singing ‘we’re going to win the league’ after being 2-0 up at the mighty Watford.

Delusion or just banter, take your pick. The former for me....

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 am

wickdkewlclaret wrote:Why did I just hear Brighton fans singing ‘we’re going to win the league’ after being 2-0 up at the mighty Watford.

For the same reason our fans were singing “Manchester City, we’re coming for you”
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 am

Ours is banter and at least we have finished 7th before and then 7th best for the second half of last season.

Brighton have been bottom half for 2 seasons, lucky not to go down last season and their fan prediction was top ten in the pre season review. Delusional.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 am

Lord Beamish wrote:That’s clearly not what I said. I said I want VAR to be used to discern if a ‘Keeper has handled the ball out of the box. I also explained why I thought that that was important. Carry on straw-manning me, if you wish, but this is my final word on the matter with you.
OK.

The original post I was replying to was asking why VAR wasn't used for that incident. Whether you think they should use it for such incidents is irrelevant, the fact is that they don't.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am

Brighton fan’s chant was so obviously in jest I don’t know why it’s being debated. They hadn’t won an away game for about 17 years so they were rightly in a jovial mood.

Soton’s goalkeeper kept the ball comfortably inside the box too, his feet left it but the ball was well inside.
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc Bosscat

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Ours is banter and at least we have finished 7th before and then 7th best for the second half of last season.

Brighton have been bottom half for 2 seasons, lucky not to go down last season and their fan prediction was top ten in the pre season review. Delusional.
It’s just a laugh. I’d rather hear that than fans being serious and signing O Burnerley is wonderful, Allez or he’s one of our own. They got off to a flyer at a difficult place to go. They had a great day out and a laugh. Good for them I say.
These 2 users liked this post: Hibsclaret FactualFrank

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am

Longsidebovril wrote:FAO Villa and Norwich. You really don’t have time on the ball to play out of defence like that.
leave them alone, they willl be fine.........................................................in the championship :D
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Delusion or just banter, take your pick. The former for me....
sense of humour maybe......just a guess ;)
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 am

Last edited by ClaretAL on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:50 am

Because he was the last defender and could viewed as comiting a foul which the stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Banter. Does anybody genuinely believe that they believe they are going to win the league?

Of course not. Their fans might overall be a set of cockwombles, but even they have a bit of humour too.

I can't believe anybody would suggest they might be serious.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Dyched wrote:It’s just a laugh. I’d rather hear that than fans being serious and signing O Burnerley is wonderful, Allez or he’s one of our own. They got off to a flyer at a difficult place to go. They had a great day out and a laugh. Good for them I say.
Would the "Signing" of 'O Burnerley is wonderful, Allez or he’s one of our own' be for the "hard of hearing" fans then :roll:

Sorry m8 but someone took the p**s out of me typoing portabello in another thread ;)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Bloody hell when we went 3 up our lot were singing "Manchester City we're coming for you"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:16 pm

I only saw it once on motd but was Barnes ever offside for the wood goal? He looked onside the whole time to me...

They never showed the replay so assume he was off.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah, when the long ball was played he was just offside, but the defender runs in front of him before slipping.

Great call from the linesman
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:27 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Nope
And they didn’t show the “red card” incident either
Just been covered on Goals On Sunday. Kamara comparing it to Watford player sent off last season for identical incident. He appealed twice and both were denied. He said Adams got away with it cos he touched the ball but he was so high that should be irrelevant. I called it a yellow live but having heard the whistle had already been blown, for Adams handball, it was a red.