VAR.........

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

VAR.........

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:14 pm

wait until you see the goal Wolves just had disallowed

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Re: VAR.........

Post by claretnproud » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I saw it. If thats what VAR is for then we are better without it. Good idea in principle but if the guy officiating the decision is a bit silly it becomes pointless.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Leaving no room for error & clinically dissecting these minute moments Rob's the game of so many things including.
Attacking advantage - some great moments will be lost over measurements indistinguishable to humans.
Fan experience - I'll informed crowd waiting
Spontaneous fun - Know every goal will be checked dampens celebrations
Controversy - Like it or not it adds drama and narrative.

We all know the rules are being enforced, in some cases the rules need to be looked at but also we need to admit being right 100% of the time is not fun or entertaining.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:14 pm

but it's bullshit, goal gets ruled out for accidental handball but yet Watford don't get a pen when the ball clearly hits the palm of Glen Murrays hand yesterday, can't have it one way
This user liked this post: Shore claret

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm

They have clearly stated that goals resulting from handball will be disallowed, accidental or not.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Having said that I have not seen the ‘goal’ yet.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm

And yet we are not necessarily going to get penalties for accidental handball by the defending team that stops a goal.

This is what makes it ridiculous. They need to change the game laws for handball to say that a handball stopping a goal is always a pen and a handball in the lead up to a goal always gets disallowed.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:but it's bullshit, goal gets ruled out for accidental handball but yet Watford don't get a pen when the ball clearly hits the palm of Glen Murrays hand yesterday, can't have it one way
Its in the new rules which I think are actually pretty sensible https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02 ... to-effect/

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:And yet we are not necessarily going to get penalties for accidental handball by the defending team that stops a goal.

This is what makes it ridiculous. They need to change the game laws for handball to say that a handball stopping a goal is always a pen and a handball in the lead up to a goal always gets disallowed.
That would be stupid, attackers would just try and kick the ball at defenders hands in the penalty area. I think the way they've done it makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Its in the new rules which I think are actually pretty sensible https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02 ... to-effect/
So nothing about the ball accidentally hitting the defenders hand where the shot is going in....

Not that sensible then as it is biased towards defending rather than attacking.

Handball, whether deliberate or not should be penalised imo then there are no grey areas at all.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:So nothing about the ball accidentally hitting the defenders hand where the shot is going in....

Not that sensible then as it is biased towards defending rather than attacking.

Handball, whether deliberate or not should be penalised imo then there are no grey areas at all.
Nope and maybe thats one area that could be improved but compared to how farcical it got in the Champions League last season (when they were just penalising everything) and how upset fans get like us got about the Arsenal goal the other year I think its a vast improvement and yes pretty sensible

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:52 pm

It is better but surely they they need to keep defending and attacking rules essentially the same
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:but it's bullshit, goal gets ruled out for accidental handball but yet Watford don't get a pen when the ball clearly hits the palm of Glen Murrays hand yesterday, can't have it one way
I saw that on motd and couldn't understand why a penalty wasn't given, any reason why a report can't be published after the game with the reasons given?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Its in the new rules which I think are actually pretty sensible https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02 ... to-effect/
well that's my point, if that is in the rules then why didn't Watford get a pen yesterday when Murray palmed the ball out of play ? It's bullshit

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:55 pm

I agree with you and think they've missed a trick not specifying if handball stops the ball from going in then it should always be handball

I doubt that happens often cos it would have to be 100% going in as if the handball just stopped a good chance who's to say it stopped a goal.

With the attacking version play continues and its just when the goal is scored so is much more black and white

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:It is better but surely they they need to keep defending and attacking rules essentially the same
So how do you address the issue that I mentioned, that if every handball is a foul, attacking players would just kick the ball at defenders arms in the penalty area?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:well that's my point, if that is in the rules then why didn't Watford get a pen yesterday when Murray palmed the ball out of play ? It's bullshit
Because it wasn't deemed to be deliberate.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:well that's my point, if that is in the rules then why didn't Watford get a pen yesterday when Murray palmed the ball out of play ? It's bullshit
Under which part of the new rule? The only bit I think could mean it was a penalty was if it hit is hand above his shoulder but I think it may have been level or below

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Under which part of the new rule? The only bit I think could mean it was a penalty was if it hit is hand above his shoulder but I think it may have been level or below
that's the entire point though

Wolves have a good goal ruled out for accidental handball
Watford don't get a pen for accidental handball

Should be the same rule for both incidents, it's a complete cluster **** the way it is

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Tall Paul wrote:So how do you address the issue that I mentioned, that if every handball is a foul, attacking players would just kick the ball at defenders arms in the penalty area?
Attackers are hardly going to aim for the defenders arm when shooting towards the goal. That’s ridiculous tbh

Plus even if they do the ball has hit a part of body that cannot legally stop a goal and has actually stopped a goal. This is similar to offside where you can’t be offside with your arm...

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:that's the entire point though

Wolves have a good goal ruled out for accidental handball
Watford don't get a pen for accidental handball

Should be the same rule for both incidents, it's a complete cluster **** the way it is
The advantage Wolves got led directly to a goal. The advantage Brighton got was well im not sure as I dont think they gained any real advantage.

If you cant see the difference in that we are not going to agree.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:10 pm

I think we need a "sticky" for VAR.

I'm puzzled why the reason for re-taking Aguero's pen at London Stadium was because a WHU player encroached. Why not go with the keeper didn't have one of his two feet on the line when the ball was kicked? Or, is that one of the new rules that Premier League have decided not to apply?

It appears that the rule makers/refs have got a "new toy" - but don't know how it's supposed to work.

It would be so easy to determine that offside arises when the player is nearer to the goal line when the ball is played forward by a member of the attacking side - and "nearer" will be judged as "nearer" when the gap is at least 10 cms between the attacker and relevant member of the defending team - measured where each player is closest to the pitch, i.e normally the boots/feet - and take out concerns about heads, shoulders or other body parts.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Attackers are hardly going to aim for the defenders arm when shooting towards the goal. That’s ridiculous tbh

Plus even if they do the ball has hit a part of body that cannot legally stop a goal and has actually stopped a goal. This is similar to offside where you can’t be offside with your arm...
I see, you're just talking about shots that would go in if it didn't hit the defender's hand. Sorry, I thought you meant any handball should be a foul.

That's more sensible, but then you'll have the problem of knowing whether a shot is on target or not and whether the goalkeeper would've saved it, which is pretty much impossible to judge. You're basically limiting it to handballs on the line.

I still think you'd get attackers aiming at defender's hands if they can't get a clear shot at goal because the defenders are in the way.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:The advantage Wolves got led directly to a goal. The advantage Brighton got was well im not sure as I dont think they gained any real advantage.

If you cant see the difference in that we are not going to agree.
Brighton didn't concede a penalty - how is that not an advantage ? We don't have to agree btw !!!

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Paul Waine wrote:I think we need a "sticky" for VAR.

I'm puzzled why the reason for re-taking Aguero's pen at London Stadium was because a WHU player encroached. Why not go with the keeper didn't have one of his two feet on the line when the ball was kicked? Or, is that one of the new rules that Premier League have decided not to apply?

It appears that the rule makers/refs have got a "new toy" - but don't know how it's supposed to work.

It would be so easy to determine that offside arises when the player is nearer to the goal line when the ball is played forward by a member of the attacking side - and "nearer" will be judged as "nearer" when the gap is at least 10 cms between the attacker and relevant member of the defending team - measured where each player is closest to the pitch, i.e normally the boots/feet - and take out concerns about heads, shoulders or other body parts.
I don't think it's the refs who don't know how it works, it seems like its the fans.

Why 10cms, seems a bit arbitrary?

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Var should be able to sort whether a shot is on target and yes, I’m talking mainly about where it is obvious that it has stopped a goal.

The main issue I have is inconsistency between attacking and defending.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Paul Waine wrote:I think we need a "sticky" for VAR.

Whilst I wouldn’t oppose offside being judged purely on the legs and feet of players how would the 10cm rule help? It would over-complicate things and the decision would be less accurate as a result.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Var should be able to sort whether a shot is on target and yes, I’m talking mainly about where it is obvious that it has stopped a goal.

The main issue I have is inconsistency between attacking and defending.
So do you think Glenn Murray's handball yesterday obviously stopped the shot from going in? I don't.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Tall Paul wrote:So do you think Glenn Murray's handball yesterday obviously stopped the shot from going in? I don't.
yes, it was a free kick that was on target

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Brighton didn't concede a penalty - how is that not an advantage ? We don't have to agree btw !!!
I know the discussion is good.

It should be what does the handball stop or cause that is the advantage or disadvantage.

What you are saying is like saying a defender committing any foul in his own half should be sent off and then when someone says why what advantage have they got from the foul to warrant a red card you say they get the advantage of not being reduced to 10 men

Take the Arsenal goal against us. Do you think Arsenal gained more advantage from that handball than if the Arsensal winger would have blasted it against Lowton hand from one yard away on the byline at the edge of the penalty area towards.

If you exclude the rule for now cos we are trying to establish the logic to define the rule do you not think a striker scoring a goal from it hitting their arm is different to a defender being penalised for it being blasted against their arm nowhere near the goal?

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I haven’t seen that one. But if it was on target and likely to go in it should be a pen. If not on target then it shouldn’t be given if accidental.

At the moment they are essentially saying:
Accidental by attacker leads to a goal - disallow
Accidental by defender clearly stopping a goal - play on

This can’t be right

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:yes, it was a free kick that was on target
Was the goalkeeper definitely not saving it?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:I haven’t seen that one. But if it was on target and likely to go in it should be a pen. If not on target then it shouldn’t be given if accidental.

This can’t be right
It wasn't likely to go in in fact had it not hit the hand of the defender I would say it probably would have resulted in a goal 1 in 100 times and thats being generous

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:I haven’t seen that one. But if it was on target and likely to go in it should be a pen. If not on target then it shouldn’t be given if accidental.

This can’t be right
Because it's impossible to accurately assess whether a shot would clearly result in a goal if it isn't blocked.

Why do you think shot statistics class blocked shots differently from shots on or off target?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I know the discussion is good.

It should be what does the handball stop or cause that is the advantage or disadvantage.

What you are saying is like saying a defender committing any foul in his own half should be sent off and then when someone says why what advantage have they got from the foul to warrant a red card you say they get the advantage of not being reduced to 10 men

Take the Arsenal goal against us. Do you think Arsenal gained more advantage from that handball than if the Arsensal winger would have blasted it against Lowton hand from one yard away on the byline at the edge of the penalty area towards.

If you exclude the rule for now cos we are trying to establish the logic to define the rule do you not think a striker scoring a goal from it hitting their arm is different to a defender being penalised for it being blasted against their arm nowhere near the goal?
If we are discussing the old rule then the goal should have been ruled out and in your example the defender shouldn't be penalised, but we aren't discussing the old rule. The ball wasn't blasted at Murray, it travelled 10 yards.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Was the goalkeeper definitely not saving it?
irrelevant, it was on target. I don't think it was a pen under the old rules, it shouldn't be a pen under the new rules - but if we are ruling an accidental handball enough to rule a goal out then it should be enough to give a penalty. It's a dumb rule full stop I just don't see how they can have it both ways

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:49 pm

They just need to simplify things tbh.

The Wolves one today is totally accidental and yet they are penalised, which I can understand fully. However, they need to be fair with attacking play too. If you are guessing whether the keeper will save a well struck shot on target the benefit of doubt could be given to the attacking team which would be unfortunate for the defending team but much fairer in my view. This is where the VAR can earn his corn deciding how likely it would be that the ball would have hit the net. At the minute they just say play on when the attacking team has created a chance and hit the target.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Rileybobs wrote: Whilst I wouldn’t oppose offside being judged purely on the legs and feet of players how would the 10cm rule help? It would over-complicate things and the decision would be less accurate as a result.
Tall Paul wrote: Why 10cms, seems a bit arbitrary?
10 cms is "nice and clear" - and avoids all the debate about are the camera angles correct? is it being judged when the ball was played forward, or just after/or just before? 10 cm allows for the fact that the attacker is, most likely, moving towards the goal, whereas the defender may be moving out to create the offside.

So, not offside unless the gap is more than 10 cm (4 inches, if you are old enough).

Not quite "arbitary" - more thought through with some reasons - and, no more arbitary than a choice between "level" or "in front of" or "behind..."

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:irrelevant, it was on target. I don't think it was a pen under the old rules, it shouldn't be a pen under the new rules - but if we are ruling an accidental handball enough to rule a goal out then it should be enough to give a penalty. It's a dumb rule full stop I just don't see how they can have it both ways
It is relevant to the argument that Hibs was making, which was that the handball should obviously stop a goal being scored in order for a penalty to be given.
Paul Waine wrote:

10 cms is "nice and clear" - and avoids all the debate about are the camera angles correct? is it being judged when the ball was played forward, or just after/or just before? 10 cm allows for the fact that the attacker is, most likely, moving towards the goal, whereas the defender may be moving out to create the offside.

So, not offside unless the gap is more than 10 cm (4 inches, if you are old enough).

Not quite "arbitary" - more thought through with some reasons - and, no more arbitary than a choice between "level" or "in front of" or "behind..."
It just moves the line, it doesn't avoid the debate. What if it's 10.1 cm or 9.9cm?
Last edited by Tall Paul on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:If we are discussing the old rule then the goal should have been ruled out and in your example the defender shouldn't be penalised, but we aren't discussing the old rule. The ball wasn't blasted at Murray, it travelled 10 yards.
Under the new rules its not a penalty but I presume we are discussing the logic for the rules.

The logic for the ball accidentally hitting an attackers arm which directly resulted in a goal is that to gain / lose a goal is so great that in this circumstance any contact with the arm should be punished

In your view what is the logic for the ball accidentally striking the defenders arm on the edge of the box being given as a penalty and thus almost certainly costing the defending team a goal?

Also in your rule how do you define the rule to distinguish between the Murray handball and the Lowton scenario I put to you?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:irrelevant, it was on target. I don't think it was a pen under the old rules, it shouldn't be a pen under the new rules - but if we are ruling an accidental handball enough to rule a goal out then it should be enough to give a penalty. It's a dumb rule full stop I just don't see how they can have it both ways
Penalising a hand ball that definitively results in a goal is entirely different than penalising a hand ball that may have prevented a goal.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Paul Waine wrote:10 cms is "nice and clear" - and avoids all the debate about are the camera angles correct? is it being judged when the ball was played forward, or just after/or just before? 10 cm allows for the fact that the attacker is, most likely, moving towards the goal, whereas the defender may be moving out to create the offside.

But you would have the same inaccuracies with camera angles etc. however they would be moved 10cm away. I can’t see how this is any improvement to the rule.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Tall Paul wrote: It just moves the line, it doesn't avoid the debate. What if it's 10.1 cm or 9.9cm?
I think we've got to assume VAR isn't working with measurements to 0.1 cm accuracy. I'd find it hard to believe a claim that they are measuring with 5 cm accuracy - and "split second" timing.

We can then allow everyone to see that "the decision is close" while allowing that the officials are operating with a sufficient margin of error that they will get most of their decisions right.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:But you would have the same inaccuracies with camera angles etc. however they would be moved 10cm away. I can’t see how this is any improvement to the rule.
as above.

And "I can't see" is the whole point of me suggesting we have a "wider margin" of judging what is and what isn't offside.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Paul Waine wrote:as above.

And "I can't see" is the whole point of me suggesting we have a "wider margin" of judging what is and what isn't offside.
I just don’t understand the advantage of your suggestion. The technology now has to be able to offset an already fabricated line 10cm. Assistant Referees will then be correctly calling offside decisions and having them overruled by an arbitrary margin of error. There’s nothing wrong with a clear offside/onside - we just need to accept that the thickness of a line and the frames rate of the cameras dictate the parameters by which the decisions are made.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Paul Waine wrote:I think we've got to assume VAR isn't working with measurements to 0.1 cm accuracy. I'd find it hard to believe a claim that they are measuring with 5 cm accuracy - and "split second" timing.

We can then allow everyone to see that "the decision is close" while allowing that the officials are operating with a sufficient margin of error that they will get most of their decisions right.
You can make those assumptions and allowances without moving the line 10cm.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Im not sure if the technology does actually have a range of variance for accuracy but I can see some merit in Paul Waine's view.

You could for example build into the VAR rules that the if the technology doesn't show the attacker is 5cm's ahead of the defender then no offside is given.

It means that in a lot of cases the attacker probably gets away with being just offside but if the game takes the collective view that this is better than having the decision based on mm's then it is a viable idea.

The laws of the game would still stay the same but the way we use the technology to interpret and apply it would be what is adjusted
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I just don’t understand the advantage of your suggestion. The technology now has to be able to offset an already fabricated line 10cm. Assistant Referees will then be correctly calling offside decisions and having them overruled by an arbitrary margin of error. There’s nothing wrong with a clear offside/onside - we just need to accept that the thickness of a line and the frames rate of the cameras dictate the parameters by which the decisions are made.
Hi Rileybobs, I know what you are saying. But, do we think that the referee's assistant can see both when the ball is played forward and where the attacker and the defender were in relation to each other at that time - and determine who was closest to the goal line to an accuracy of less than 10cm? (That''s certainly not what happened at Watford when Burnley "scored" last season). We've seen so many occasions when the "lino's" offside shout was shown to be incorrect in tv replays. Now we've got VAR we need to work out the accuracy of the VAR equipment.

So, let's assume that the "thickness of the line" is 10 cm - and if both attacker and defender are within the same 10 cm thick line they are level and it's not offside and if the attacker is in a 10 cm thick line nearer to the goal than the 10 cm thick line the defender is in, then it is offside.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Im not sure if the technology does actually have a range of variance for accuracy but I can see some merit in Paul Waine's view.

You could for example build into the VAR rules that the if the technology doesn't show the attacker is 5cm's ahead of the defender then no offside is given.

It means that in a lot of cases the attacker probably gets away with being just offside but if the game takes the collective view that this is better than having the decision based on mm's then it is a viable idea.

The laws of the game would still stay the same but the way we use the technology to interpret and apply it would be what is adjusted
The problem is that not all offsides are decided by VAR. so then we have a different offside rule for decisions leading to goals and ones that don’t. An AR could correctly call a player offside by 5cm and then the opposing team could go down the other end from that free kick and a player who is offside by the same margin could score a goal which would stand.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Rileybobs, I know what you are saying. But, do we think that the referee's assistant can see both when the ball is played forward and where the attacker and the defender were in relation to each other at that time - and determine who was closest to the goal line to an accuracy of less than 10cm? (That''s certainly not what happened at Watford when Burnley "scored" last season). We've seen so many occasions when the "lino's" offside shout was shown to be incorrect in tv replays. Now we've got VAR we need to work out the accuracy of the VAR equipment.

So, let's assume that the "thickness of the line" is 10 cm - and if both attacker and defender are within the same 10 cm thick line they are level and it's not offside and if the attacker is in a 10 cm thick line nearer to the goal than the 10 cm thick line the defender is in, then it is offside.
I know exactly where you’re coming from but I think we just need to accept that the technology has a margin for error but it is consistent for all teams and across every game.