If the UK ceased...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

If the UK ceased...

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm

I’m proud to be Lancastrian, English and European. Over the years, I’ve wondered why the Welsh, Scottish and Irish appear to hate us so much.

Would it be a bad thing if the UK dissolved?

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Re: If the UK ceased...

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:08 pm

It's only really the Scottish and RoI that hate us. The other two just enjoy bants

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I’m proud to be Lancastrian, English and European. Over the years, I’ve wondered why the Welsh, Scottish and Irish appear to hate us so much.

Would it be a bad thing if the UK dissolved?
I don't think they do.There are certainly a lot of them that do hate us, for varying reasons, but also many that do like us.
I've been to RI many times, and you can't find friendlier people. The anti British faction are mostly concentrated around the border with NI, the rest of the country are too laid back to give a toss.

The same is true on the continent. There are areas of Germany that are very anti British, but other areas that are pro British. It goes back to the war mostly, and how badly or mildly they felt the wrath of the RAF.
Many areas of France are anti British, but Brittany and Normandy are Pro British.

As for dissolving the Union, I would regret it, but I've always thought it was up to them to decide, not me.
Last edited by Colburn_Claret on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Strong cast...
This user liked this post: Damo

bpgburn
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by bpgburn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:It's only really the Scottish and RoI that hate us. The other two just enjoy bants

If you lived in an English town close to the Border of Wales "Bants" takes on whole different meaning. That applies the other way too.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm

If there was an alien invasion tomorrow we would all come together as brothers regardless of nationality, colour or religion. A sad indictment of how we view each other today.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:50 pm

karatekid wrote:If there was an alien invasion tomorrow we would all come together as brothers regardless of nationality, colour or religion. A sad indictment of how we view each other today.

I agree with this. There is something within us that we have to look for difference and use that to dislike. If we were all the same colour, we would probably split into the big noses and the little noses. We need to celebrate difference. It makes for a far more interesting world.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:It's only really the Scottish and RoI that hate us. The other two just enjoy bants
Even closer to home all of Liverpool hate being referred to as English. I know the football fans boo the national anthem and hate when Liverpool players are called up. A scouser once explained the reasons but for the life of me I cant remember the reason why

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Even closer to home all of Liverpool hate being referred to as English. I know the football fans boo the national anthem and hate when Liverpool players are called up. A scouser once explained the reasons but for the life of me I cant remember the reason why
They won't object to being called English when they're signing on on a Monday morning

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I agree with this. There is something within us that we have to look for difference and use that to dislike. If we were all the same colour, we would probably split into the big noses and the little noses. We need to celebrate difference. It makes for a far more interesting world.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Tha ... attlefield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A very interesting episode for a lot of the things in your post.

The 2 aliens colours being black and white but not in the way we think.. each person Black and white (a little bit like a human Rovers strip 1/2 black 1/2 white and the others were 1/2 white and 1/2 black opposite sides). Touching upon peoples predjudices in a very simple fashion.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I don't think they do.There are certainly a lot of them that do hate us, for varying reasons, but also many that do like us.
I've been to RI many times, and you can't find friendlier people. The anti British faction are mostly concentrated around the border with NI, the rest of the country are too laid back to give a toss.

The same is true on the continent. There are areas of Germany that are very anti British, but other areas that are pro British. It goes back to the war mostly, and how badly or mildly they felt the wrath of the RAF.
Many areas of France are anti British, but Brittany and Normandy are Pro British.

As for dissolving the Union, I would regret it, but I've always thought it was up to them to decide, not me.
If this was the general attitude of the English, then there wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Or perhaps, like with other issues, the volume of the noise made by the unpleasant minority drowns out those of a more reasonable persuasion.

For the brexiteers of you out there it ought to be easy to understand. Just replace the EU that you think is run by Germany with the UK that is run by England. Then instead of two World wars, replace them with Highland clearances, bloody Sunday, potato famines etc etc.
Replace junker with Boris Johnson, class attitudes (epitomised by the rfu and rugger types but not the FA and football fans) and an overwhelming sense of conceit by the ruling classes, and you just about have a starting point.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 pm

timshorts wrote:If this was the general attitude of the English, then there wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Or perhaps, like with other issues, the volume of the noise made by the unpleasant minority drowns out those of a more reasonable persuasion.

For the brexiteers of you out there it ought to be easy to understand. Just replace the EU that you think is run by Germany with the UK that is run by England. Then instead of two World wars, replace them with Highland clearances, bloody Sunday, potato famines etc etc.
Replace junker with Boris Johnson, class attitudes (epitomised by the rfu and rugger types but not the FA and football fans) and an overwhelming sense of conceit by the ruling classes, and you just about have a starting point.
I would think Brexiteers are making their decision on the here and now. Not what happened before we were born.