REPORT: Saints blown away by the Clarets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

REPORT: Saints blown away by the Clarets

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:38 pm

First report of the season, Burnley v Southampton

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/saints-blow ... he-clarets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper Wile E Coyote

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: REPORT: Saints blown away by the Clarets

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Great report. Positive that we will win next week with the assistance of VAR. Can see us getting 2 penalties because of Luiz losing it being up against Barnes
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat turfytopper

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Great report. Positive that we will win next week with the assistance of VAR. Can see us getting 2 penalties because of Luiz losing it being up against Barnes
1700 Clarets singing/shouting the David Luiz song "Anti Football"
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper tim_noone

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Good report apart from this piece of negativity

"Referee Graham Scott, surely as bad a referee as you can possibly get in the Premier League"

You really do have an agenda against Mr Scott. As mentioned on another thread there was absolutely nothing he got wrong in the game.
Yes the game is about opinions but ultimately the laws of the game start with the words "in the opinion of the referee" and that should be remembered. Angles make the view and that is what decisions are made on.

Rest assured your position in the Bob Lord stand will not be the best view on the pitch. I am convinced that Mr Scott had a much better view than you did given he was never more than 20 yards from play when he had a decision to make.

Time you should show match officials some proper RESPECT Tony.
These 3 users liked this post: pushpinpussy IanMcL tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Good report apart from this piece of negativity

"Referee Graham Scott, surely as bad a referee as you can possibly get in the Premier League"

You really do have an agenda against Mr Scott. As mentioned on another thread there was absolutely nothing he got wrong in the game.
Yes the game is about opinions but ultimately the laws of the game start with the words "in the opinion of the referee" and that should be remembered. Angles make the view and that is what decisions are made on.

Rest assured your position in the Bob Lord stand will not be the best view on the pitch. I am convinced that Mr Scott had a much better view than you did given he was never more than 20 yards from play when he had a decision to make.

Time you should show match officials some proper RESPECT Tony.
If you seriously thought he got nothing wrong then you have a problem yourself. I show referees no lack of respect but I thought he was appalling.

And I’m not in the Bob Lord stand either.

I’m entitled to an opinion and just because you disagree with it most definitely does not mean I’m showing anyone a lack of respect.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 pm

1900+ from Southampton. Great turnout all things considered, distance, weather, **** football team. Well done them.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm

I though the ref did very well yesterday especially with the new VAR thing, first game of the season and the conditions.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm

There was a moment near the end of the game next to the JHL when a Soton player was fouled three times, the referee correctly tried to let play continue but he lost the ball on the third challenge. No foul given.

He let similar little incidents go for us when he got carried away with the advantage and didn’t bring play back. He was ok, he handled VAR well but he made some baffling decisions at times.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Zom Zom wrote:1900+ from Southampton. Great turnout all things considered, distance, weather, **** football team. Well done them.
Good turn out, a lot more than they’ve brought previously. A long journey and in horrendous weather conditions.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:If you seriously thought he got nothing wrong then you have a problem yourself. I show referees no lack of respect but I thought he was appalling.

I’m entitled to an opinion and just because you disagree with it most definitely does not mean I’m showing anyone a lack of respect.
Didn't we have Scott against Lincoln in the cup last season when he was truely appalling? He allowed what was effectively assault and battery on Joey Barton with their players doing their utmost trying to get him sent off.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 pm

I may be in the minority but felt in the 1st 20 mins their players were throwing themselves into challenges far too dangerously. Lucky they managed to get ball most times but later in the season they would be deemed reckless tackles. I think he was putting it down to over exuberance as he never once had a word with them. They were very lucky they timed them right otherwise we could have a player with a broken leg. I said to my dad at the time we are supposed to be the team known for going over the top ( not my opinion that of top managers when our fight and desire is questioned)

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:42 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:I though the ref did very well yesterday especially with the new VAR thing, first game of the season and the conditions.
I thought he got all the major decisions re goals, penalties and red cards right and was vindicated by VAR.

There were one or two minor fouls he missed like a shirt pull in front of the Longside and failing to give a handball when the Southampton player had his hands above his head was another. There was no way the Burnley wall was 10 yards back from Bertrand's free kick, they should have been 2 yards from the six yard box, but they were about 3 or 4. However these are minor quibbles, and it was refreshing to see a game with no cards waved around at all.

It can't have been easy to see clearly in the wind and driving rain, so on days like that we need to cut the ref. a bit of slack.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

cracking start to the new season.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4834 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 am

76BE86A7-2543-4DD7-B788-F8C228A9A95C.jpeg
76BE86A7-2543-4DD7-B788-F8C228A9A95C.jpeg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 am

officiating was not up to standard on saturday, some really poor decisions. weather had no part in it, nor did VAR. it was inconsistent, and far too many infringements were ignored, that is not adequate in this league.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 am

Seems to be more of a glancing blow as you can see almost all of the bottom of his boot. I’d have been more worried if I couldn’t see any of the sole.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 am

Bosscat wrote:1700 Clarets singing/shouting the David Luiz song "Anti Football"
Ash will tear Him a new one...I will be in full voice it's gonna be a special day I'm sure. Utc!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 am

ClaretTony wrote:If you seriously thought he got nothing wrong then you have a problem yourself. I show referees no lack of respect but I thought he was appalling.

While the weather was Appalling IMO the referee was far from it.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2333 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 am

Zom Zom wrote:1900+ from Southampton. Great turnout all things considered, distance, weather, **** football team. Well done them.
I have particularly enjoyed viewing their fan Vlogs on Youtube, and their forums .....particularly the guy who posted on Friday, " The forecast looks terrible, I can't believe Turf Moor has a very sophisticated drainage system, will it be on ? "

Er, yes mate, and St. Marys only installed their hybrid pitch for the start of the 2018-19 season ... in other news, we've also got Colour TV, paved roads and electricity. Hope you enjoyed your trip and got home safely, thanks for the 3 points btw .... :D
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Paulclaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Paulclaret » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 am

To be fair, the foul by Adams on Mee was very similar to Barnes on Matic a few years ago, that got Mourinho all steamed up. The still picture looks far worse than the actual foul. When you see it in real time , it is just a glancing blow.I still think it could have been a yellow card, but definitely not a red.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 am

Big fan of Tony's match reports, and I agree that Scott isn't one of the better refs in the league, and didn't have an especially stellar game on Saturday. There was one failure to bring play back when there was no advantage after Westwood had been fouled which was particularly odd, and it understandably annoyed Westy.

However, I do have some sympathy with the point that dpinsussex makes about the general tone towards Scott, and the referees (other than the handful at the very top) generally because it does seem (whether intentionally or not) to get a bit personal. Fact is that they're the best we've got, and it isn't especially Scott's fault if he's been promoted beyond his ability as a result of an inadequate talent pool. Hounding him out is only going to reduce the talent pool further so it's a bit self-defeating. Seems to me the best way to improve standards is to make the job more attractive, and that partly relies on supporters offering the individuals making the best of a bad lot a bit more respect.

As for Adams, I didn't think it was a red card on TV. It's more of a glancing blow and I think he'd pulled his studs away before he actually made contact any way - the video and the still photo give a very different impression. Yellow card, and we all move on.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

claretspice wrote:Big fan of Tony's match reports, and I agree that Scott isn't one of the better refs in the league, and didn't have an especially stellar game on Saturday. There was one failure to bring play back when there was no advantage after Westwood had been fouled which was particularly odd, and it understandably annoyed Westy.

However, I do have some sympathy with the point that dpinsussex makes about the general tone towards Scott, and the referees (other than the handful at the very top) generally because it does seem (whether intentionally or not) to get a bit personal. Fact is that they're the best we've got, and it isn't especially Scott's fault if he's been promoted beyond his ability as a result of an inadequate talent pool. Hounding him out is only going to reduce the talent pool further so it's a bit self-defeating. Seems to me the best way to improve standards is to make the job more attractive, and that partly relies on supporters offering the individuals making the best of a bad lot a bit more respect.

As for Adams, I didn't think it was a red card on TV. It's more of a glancing blow and I think he'd pulled his studs away before he actually made contact any way - the video and the still photo give a very different impression. Yellow card, and we all move on.
For what it's worth, I don't think it's a red card either but I'm afraid I didn't base his performance on that one decision. Personal? Absolute nonsense. Shame too that the only thing seemingly considered from my match report is my honest opinion of Scott's performance.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 am

I think what I mean by personal is that you don't limit yourself to offering an opinion of Scott's performance. You make reference to him being "surely as bad a referee as you can possibly get in the Premier League" - which to my mind is a more general comment about Graham Scott, and it's none too complimentary at that. In the context of a decision you agree the ref got right, it feels a tad gratuitous.

But this is a minor gripe in the context of a terrific service you provide in providing these match reports.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 pm

I thought he was poor, theres letting a game flow and theres cant be arsed acknowledging fouls and bringing the game back.