England vs Australia 2nd test

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Re: England vs Australia 2nd test

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 pm

claret10 wrote:Has a team ever played with 3 wicket keepers before?
We played four over the winter in a single game, Buttler, Bairstow and Foakes all played in the West Indies.
Burns has also kept wicket previously for Surrey and also played, although perhaps pushing it a bit.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:23 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:Open with Bairstow and bring in a proper wicket-keeper, Ben Foakes.
I would certainly bring Foakes in as he's by far the best wk and is a decent batter.
One possibility would be to open with Denly, push the rest up the order and have Foakes at 7 or 8. That would be a very strong middle order.
I don't fancy Bairstow opening tbh.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Might as well open with Root. Hes usually batting in first few overs anyway.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:36 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Looks like the miracle recovery could be on. Smith expects to play at Headingley !! Apparently Cricket Australia have their own protocol for concussion and will monitor Smith on a daily basis. After the tragic Phil Hughes incident you would think CA would be ultra careful.
I don't know the protocols for cricket,but i'm pretty sure in football and rugby if you've sustained a concussion,you sit out for 7 days minimum,so usually you miss the next match,depending on the schedule.

You do have to wonder if this wasn't Steve Smith,would the Australians be so desperate to risk a player's health i suspect not.

If they choose to select Smith then they can't complain if Archer especially welcomes him with some chin music,England would be :x not to test out his nerve.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 am

I had a quick read of the ACB concussion rules (slow day at work) and they did seem pretty vague regarding returning to play; very much daily assessments until they are deemed fit to play and no set time i.e. 7 days.

He should definitely be given another barrage when he next steps to the crease.