ARTICLE: Goals galore at the Oval in Belfast

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Goals galore at the Oval in Belfast

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 am

Final pre-season game in 1959 ahead of a very special season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/goals-galor ... in-belfast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: Goals galore at the Oval in Belfast

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 am

And what a season and what a team!
I think that was the year when because of the drought, standpipes appeared and the local hardware shops sold out of buckets.
Mention of Peter Lawson brings back many memories...he was a smashing person and, of course,, his grandson Tom has played for Burnley CC.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 am

Lived in Belfast in the 1960s, supported Glentoran and saw them draw 1 all with Eusebio's Benfica at the Oval in the European Cup 1967.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 am

Suratclaret wrote:And what a season and what a team!
I think that was the year when because of the drought, standpipes appeared and the local hardware shops sold out of buckets.
Mention of Peter Lawson brings back many memories...he was a smashing person and, of course,, his grandson Tom has played for Burnley CC.
I knew Peter well through cricket. His son also played for Burnley CC. Was so sad to see him in that last summer before he passed away.

There will be more on the standpipes as the story unfolds, ours was outside the Park View chippy.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 682 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:09 pm

That first league game at Leeds was the first time I visited Elland Road. Still remember it but for very contrasting reasons. We played really well to win 3-2 for the first of several away wins that season, but proudly showing off my Claret & Blue scarf on the way back to Dad's car some Leeds fan decided to whack me to ease his disappointment. Can still feel the pain of that crack to this day.

Little did we know on the journey home just how that season was about to unfold.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 am

ClaretTony wrote:I knew Peter well through cricket. His son also played for Burnley CC. Was so sad to see him in that last summer before he passed away.

There will be more on the standpipes as the story unfolds, ours was outside the Park View chippy.
Outside a chippy! Lucky you! Ours was down a cobbled back lane - bad enough to walk on at the best of times but almost impossible when carrying buckets of water.
Ive always thought it was a privilege knowing Peter over many years. He loved his cricket and had many a tale to tell from his time as a player and supporter.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 am

Suratclaret wrote:Outside a chippy! Lucky you! Ours was down a cobbled back lane - bad enough to walk on at the best of times but almost impossible when carrying buckets of water.
Ive always thought it was a privilege knowing Peter over many years. He loved his cricket and had many a tale to tell from his time as a player and supporter.
We still had to carry the buckets up a cobbled back street from the chippy though :D