We Are Looking Very Organised

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

We Are Looking Very Organised

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I know our record v Arsenal is very poor but having watched the game that's the best organized we have been against them that I can remember. A draw would not have been an unfair result. This is a side that got to the Europa Final and have spent serious money this Summer, Thought our defense was immense,(Mee and Tarks put up great performances) and or midfield stood up well. On another day Popey stops that first goal. No one could have saved the second. A few years ago that would have been a 4 or 5 goal pasting so well done the team. There will be few bottom half teams go to the Emirates and take points
These 6 users liked this post: Longsider Bosscat summitclaret turfytopper Quicknick longsidepies

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: We Are Looking Very Organised

Post by MACCA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Yay, organised I love it!

Add that to the frozen season tickets, great pricing in the league cup and the great read that is the balance sheets , 2020 seems to be one to look forwards to.

Ps my daughters organised, it's ok, but it's not something I'd shout from the roof tops.

Youre possibly right, few bottom half teams will get something, sadly we didnt and arsenal looked very average today

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 pm

warksclaret wrote:I know our record v Arsenal is very poor but having watched the game that's the best organized we have been against them that I can remember. A draw would not have been an unfair result. This is a side that got to the Europa Final and have spent serious money this Summer, Thought our defense was immense,(Mee and Tarks put up great performances) and or midfield stood up well. On another day Popey stops that first goal. No one could have saved the second. A few years ago that would have been a 4 or 5 goal pasting so well done the team. There will be few bottom half teams go to the Emirates and take points
We were organised when we finished 7th. People were commenting on how well we defended and knew exactly what was going on and who needed to do what and when. I'm not saying we're the same, but we can match that this season and be incredibly annoying and disciplined.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Thought we looked very strong throughout today with the only exception being Pope who must improve and will do in time.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 pm

A couple of the Arsenal supporters I know said that was the best they've ever seen us against them.

I thought Pope was excellent today.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Quicknick

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Tall Paul wrote:A couple of the Arsenal supporters I know said that was the best they've ever seen us against them.

I hope you're not smiling too much at Aubameyang scoring. Admit it - you smiled.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:35 pm

We definitely deserved a point today. Actually we should have been ahead at half time and level at full time to give a fair reflection of the game. There is no doubt that is the best we have ever played at the Emirates in the first half.

All game seemed to be spent in the far half of the pitch. Us attacking in the first half and them the second.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Tall Paul wrote:A couple of the Arsenal supporters I know said that was the best they've ever seen us against them.

I’m hugely disappointed with the result because we’ve lost but there was so much today to be pleased with. So much to be positive about just now.
These 6 users liked this post: Bosscat Tall Paul simonclaret turfytopper Burnleyareback2 longsidepies

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Definitely best we have played there

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Keep up that standard of performance and its a top half finish at least.

Cant wait to see the quality Danny Drinkwater adds to the middle.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Tall Paul

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:41 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Keep up that standard of performance and its a top half finish at least.
Cant wait to see the quality Danny Drinkwater adds to the middle.
You often post with such optimism - and I love it.

I agree regarding DD we just have to be patient and make sure he's ready to start.
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:41 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I hope you're not smiling too much at Aubameyang scoring. Admit it - you smiled.
It was a small consolation, a bit like the folk who bet on us to lose as it softens the blow.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 pm

We did look organised, but conceding twice from a set piece and a cheap give away in midfield was disappointing.

I absolutely loved the high pressed we put on though. That showed some real bravery to go away to Arsenal and press them so high up, on the edge of their box. From memory we were only caught out on the transition once too, when Guendouzi hit a shot that Pope saved with his feet.

Ironically, the deeper we sat, relying on our organisation, the more vulnerable we looked.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Tall Paul wrote:It was a small consolation, a bit like the folk who bet on us to lose as it softens the blow.
Not quite the same, is it? Burnley win 4-3 and you run the risk of Pope and the defence losing confidence. But don't worry - because you'd have gained a few points in a league you were never good enough to win, anyway.

Makes total sense, right?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Not quite the same, is it? Burnley win 4-3 and you run the risk of Pope and the defence losing confidence. But don't worry - because you'd have gained a few points in a league you were never good enough to win, anyway.

Makes total sense, right?
You might want to check who won the UTC FPL league last season.

The rest of what you said is a load of shite.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:We did look organised, but conceding twice from a set piece and a cheap give away in midfield was disappointing.

I absolutely loved the high pressed we put on though. That showed some real bravery to go away to Arsenal and press them so high up, on the edge of their box. From memory we were only caught out on the transition once too, when Guendouzi hit a shot that Pope saved with his feet.

Ironically, the deeper we sat, relying on our organisation, the more vulnerable we looked.
I'm puzzled why Arsenal kept trying to pass out from their goal kicks. They were underpressure almost every single time. At least twice all they managed was to concede a throw in around level with the edge of their penalty area. What's that all about? New rule, yes - but, surely you've got to be confident that it will work when your are playing from so deep? On another day, I can see Arsenal gifting a goal away.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You might want to check who won the UTC league last season.
We could tell that with the 14 times..
"Tony, you might as well close it now as I'll win", rubbish.

I knew you'd been lucky, without even asking questions!

I came 54th in one season - lucky? YES! At least I admit it.

How tall are you?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 pm

FactualFrank wrote:We could tell that with the 14 times..
"Tony, you might as well close it now as I'll win", rubbish.

I knew you'd been lucky, without even asking questions!

I came 54th in one season - lucky? YES! At least I admit it.

How tall are you?
Coming 54th once is lucky.

Top 50 of all time isn't.

I'm 6ft 6
Last edited by Tall Paul on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm a bit frustrated. We could of come away with a point.

But Arsenal sat back when they were leading 1-0 and we had the majority of the ball until we scored. Then they could of gone in front within two minutes but for a tight offside call and then looked like they could score whenever until they did.

Arsenal were poor and we lacked quality, DD needs to come in next week.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Coming 54th once is lucky.
[URL]Top 50 of all time[/[URL] isn't.
I'm 6ft 6
You were lucky and you know it.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Good to see positivity about the way we are developing. Someone mentioned Danny Drinkwater getting match fit soon-we also had Hendrick on the bench. No coincidence that Westwood and Cork played pretty well in the middle today knowing these two are breathing down their backs. There is nothing better than competition

The only thing that worried me today was the lack of a fourth striker. WE play 442 now nearly all the time-should any of Barnes, Wood or Jay get injured or suspended we are really exposed. Its ok saying we have Vydra-however most PL teams have the luxury of two strong strikers plus on the bench, and Vydra is obviously not considered good enough by SD

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:33 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You were lucky and you know it.
Nope.

Want to bet against me finishing on the top five of the UTC league this season?

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 pm

I’d said before the game that I hoped that we would play wider than we often do when in possession. In the first half we did with JBG, Dwight and Erik all applying pressure with their crosses. Nothing dropped for us in the penalty area but we leave a lot of space even when we have good numbers in the box. We need to spread out more when we are attacking their penalty area.
Second half they applied more pressure on us and it meant that Lowton and Pieters were penned further back than in the first half. This put Westy and Corkie under increased pressure and ultimately reduced the service to our front two. However over the 90 minutes it was a strong performance but when Arsenal improved their quality it obviously made it more difficult for us. They need Kevin Phillips or me to work them on better exploiting space in the opponents penalty area.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 pm

I’m the cheaper option.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Thought we looked very strong throughout today with the only exception being Pope who must improve and will do in time.
Improve in what way?
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret Bosscat

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:59 pm

We also need to learn to give the ball to our teammates stronger foot especially when our opponents are pressing the receiver.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 pm

warksclaret wrote:Good to see positivity about the way we are developing. Someone mentioned Danny Drinkwater getting match fit soon-we also had Hendrick on the bench. No coincidence that Westwood and Cork played pretty well in the middle today knowing these two are breathing down their backs. There is nothing better than competition

The only thing that worried me today was the lack of a fourth striker. WE play 442 now nearly all the time-should any of Barnes, Wood or Jay get injured or suspended we are really exposed. Its ok saying we have Vydra-however most PL teams have the luxury of two strong strikers plus on the bench, and Vydra is obviously not considered good enough by SD
I agree we lacked another attacking option today. I thought both JBG and McNeil faded badly in the second half. JBG was subbed but there were no fresh legs for McNeil when we were chasing the game. Vydra is clearly persona non grata with SD, but he might have been useful today.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 pm

United team, playing very well.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:20 pm

First half we were excellent.

Their second goal we done the usual and backed off way too much without challenging.

We will gain a lot of points with a high press but we cannot keep that level of performance up over 90mims without substitutes and regular rotation. We were
Tiring in the second half and that’s the only point where the gunners come on strong.