Danny Drinkwater

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Posts: 11807
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 3034 times

Danny Drinkwater

Post by MACCA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:58 pm

When do you think he will be first team ready fitness wise?

Do you think he will start ahead of Westwood or Cork?

If so who and when?

Do you think we can make him a permanent signing or will he be off in January?

I cant see him being a first team player at the expense of one of our full time players, as it goes against everything SD believes in regards to loyalty and squad harmony.

Just interested in other peoples views, as seems a strange signing unless we are working on making it permanent now on time for January.
( I'm aware we needed a 4th CM )
This user liked this post: IWOODLOVETT

Goobs
Posts: 3292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 am
Been Liked: 1114 times
Has Liked: 745 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Goobs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

3 weeks
Yes
Cork
5 weeks
Yes

Rileybobs
Posts: 7435
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 3113 times
Has Liked: 717 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:04 pm

When Drinkwater is fit he will get his chance when either of the central midfielders pick up an injury or show a loss of form, unless he makes a game-changing impact from the bench.

wilks_bfc
Posts: 5708
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1724 times
Has Liked: 848 times
Contact:

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Next week
I think he’ll be on the bench for Wolves game and start against Sunderland (if Chelsea allow him to be cup tied)

Eventually yes

Cork

I think he’ll be here for full season (if SD doesn’t do his usual thing with loans and not play him)

FactualFrank
Posts: 19667
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5539 times
Has Liked: 9397 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:When Drinkwater is fit he will get his chance when either of the central midfielders pick up an injury or show a loss of form, unless he makes a game-changing impact from the bench.
I would normally agree with this. I don't think it'll be the case now.

He'll come in when needed.

warksclaret
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 pm
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Can see him playing the full 90 in the League Cup

NL Claret
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by NL Claret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 pm

If Drinkwater never starts a first team game for Burnley it could indicate the current midfield 2 are playing very well.

jrgbfc
Posts: 4249
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 111 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm

I agree with the OP I just can't see Dyche dropping one of his favourites for a loan player.

FactualFrank
Posts: 19667
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5539 times
Has Liked: 9397 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:Can see him playing the full 90 in the League Cup
I hope you're right buddy.

theroyaldyche
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Hel.come in for an injury nothing else

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 380 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I agree with the OP I just can't see Dyche dropping one of his favourites for a loan player.
This is a different level of loan player than we have had before. He will get his chance, no doubt about that

MDWat
Posts: 1458
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 pm
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 158 times
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by MDWat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:35 pm

I think he’ll be in as soon as he’s fit for Westwood.

Blackrod
Posts: 4953
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 1283 times
Has Liked: 517 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Blackrod » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Bench next week hopefully and for Cork.

Jakubs Tash
Posts: 1146
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:45 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I agree with the OP I just can't see Dyche dropping one of his favourites for a loan player.
A loan player who has won the Premier League and then been transferred for £30m and on wages of £110,000 a week....

I don't care who he plays instead of; but he plays.

bobinho
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1946 times
Has Liked: 2965 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by bobinho » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:45 pm

If Westwood and cork continue with their current form, it will be quite a wait for DD, and rightly so.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

jdrobbo
Posts: 4100
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Been Liked: 2346 times
Has Liked: 574 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 pm

No it won’t: it’ll be in the terms of his contract that he plays.

MACCA
Posts: 11807
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 3034 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by MACCA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:02 pm

bobinho wrote:If Westwood and cork continue with their current form, it will be quite a wait for DD, and rightly so.
Why, in your opinion has 1 or both been excellent the last 2 games?

I know what their job is, however the quality is very limited regards attacking play, and that's what we need in games like today.
Regards today, didnt think either were great in their expected jobs either.
Cork looks lost in the final 3rd, aswell as weak, slow and lacking any real bite in the other 2 thirds.

jojomk1
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 pm

The Drinkwater who played for Leicester offers far more than any of our current midfielders
Who will play first - him or Defour ?

ElectroClaret
Posts: 10612
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Been Liked: 2806 times
Has Liked: 1447 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm

If he's fully match fit, there's no way a player of the quality of DD is gonna be
sat on his arse every game.

Whether it's Cork or Westy one of em is going to make way.

Woodleyclaret
Posts: 3241
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:25 pm
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Jack and Ash Westwood are playing well and had excellent games today

jurek
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:38 pm
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jurek » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Have to agree with some posters that a fully fit
Drinkwater (hopefully backto his best or close to) should offer us more
than any of the current midfielders we have.

But then it might not work out that way.
At Leicester he was playing alongside Kante (can't recall if anyone else as well)
and that gives you a head start to play the role he played.

Not sure who best he would compliment from our midfielders.

If he is going to start (probably sooner rather than later) then who does he replace?
Westwood or Cork?

Probably Cork.

It's a gamble to find out as he may well need 2 or three games to get back up to speed and form.

Be interesting to see what Dyche does.

Rileybobs
Posts: 7435
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 3113 times
Has Liked: 717 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:29 am

I think I saw that Cork and Westwood covered the most ground in today’s game. The way we set up isn’t for our central midfielders to have a particularly active role in attacks, although I recall Cork did well for Barnes’ goal. So whilst neither are flash players or what you might want to see from a midfielder, don’t underestimate the importance of the job that they are asked to do.
This user liked this post: bobinho

dsr
Posts: 10276
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3013 times
Has Liked: 1292 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:41 am

MACCA wrote:Just interested in other peoples views, as seems a strange signing unless we are working on making it permanent now on time for January.
( I'm aware we needed a 4th CM )
I don't think it at all a strange signing. We were short of quality midefelders, so we signed another one. At minimum, it's insurance - and if the bad news doesn't happen and the insurance wasn't needed, it doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:26 pm
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 am

Can't help but wonder whether he is still as good as he was in Leicester's title winning season. He never managed to break into the Chelsea team after his big money move and prior to the aforementioned season, was he that highly rated?

Obviously I'm hoping for the best but trying to temper my expectations.

bobinho
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1946 times
Has Liked: 2965 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by bobinho » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 am

MACCA wrote:Why, in your opinion has 1 or both been excellent the last 2 games?

I know what their job is, however the quality is very limited regards attacking play, and that's what we need in games like today.
Regards today, didnt think either were great in their expected jobs either.
Cork looks lost in the final 3rd, aswell as weak, slow and lacking any real bite in the other 2 thirds.
Because they have both been doing their job as dictated to them by the boss.

We know they have weaknesses in their game, and that they are limited in the final third, but let’s not forget, if they weren’t, they’d be playing elsewhere. Because of their limitations, we structure our game plan accordingly. We can’t outplay and dominate the midfield in 80% of our games, so we concentrate on what we CAN do effectively, and these two have done very well so far this season.

No doubt about it that DD at his best is better than both our two CM lads, and bringing someone in with the quality he has is a major major coup for our club. But let’s not forget, he isn’t here to help Burnley become a top six side, he’s here to put himself in the window in the hope that playing, and playing well, sees someone who can pay the sort of wages he’s used to come in for him. If that happens, that’s good for Burnley because if he’s played well for us and he’s influential, we end up out of danger again.

In order for that to happen, he’s gonna have to wait for one of our current two to become injured or have a drop in form.

I think Rileybobs has it right. #22
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18303
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7033 times
Has Liked: 9864 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:50 am

HieronymousBoschHobs wrote:Can't help but wonder whether he is still as good as he was in Leicester's title winning season. He never managed to break into the Chelsea team after his big money move and prior to the aforementioned season, was he that highly rated?

Obviously I'm hoping for the best but trying to temper my expectations.
I am expecting him to be like Scott Parker or Steve Sidwell.

Players who were very good before Chelsea. Clearly not at the same standard of their midfielders he competed with. But easily good enough to be very good midfielders elsewhere.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Richardsbfc
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Richardsbfc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:54 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I am expecting him to be like Scott Parker or Steve Sidwell.

Players who were very good before Chelsea. Clearly not at the same standard of their midfielders he competed with. But easily good enough to be very good midfielders elsewhere.
Once fit, he should be straight into the midfield. Comes in as our best CM without question.

BOYSIE31
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 am

Will be interesting when he does come into the match day squad - not guaranteed a start but he is better than what we have when fully fit - was it a panic signing as we couldn't get any others over the line but we knew we needed extra bodies ??

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 380 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am

Definitely hard to drop anyone after our best ever performance at the Emirates. It will be interesting to see when it happens but that is the point of us getting better players in and improving year on year...watching that first half yesterday I was convinced we would score at some point. The pressing and how we kept turning the ball over was fantastic.

You can see how Dyche is learning year on year too. I reckon with the resources of one of the big clubs there is no limit on how far Dyche can go. It is incredible that we still have him given that Man U and Chelsea both have coaches with just a patch of his experience.

Spijed
Posts: 11268
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1984 times
Has Liked: 873 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Was it a panic signing as we couldn't get any others over the line but we knew we needed extra bodies ??
How do you know that?

BOYSIE31
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am

Spijed wrote:How do you know that?
Just a thought as we obviously tried to spend £20 million on a midfielder according to garlick

taio
Posts: 5740
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1682 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by taio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:21 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Just a thought as we obviously tried to spend £20 million on a midfielder according to garlick
It doesn't matter about the sequencing of our interest - the only important thing is we brought in a centre mid of quality which Drinkwater is.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18303
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7033 times
Has Liked: 9864 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:32 am

Richardsbfc wrote:Once fit, he should be straight into the midfield. Comes in as our best CM without question.
Did he see your goal at Carrington?

Granny WeatherWax
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 am

jdrobbo wrote:No it won’t: it’ll be in the terms of his contract that he plays.
This. There is absolutely no way, from both parties, that he will come here to sit on the bench. He’s a different league to what we have got and therefore once fit and in tune with the system he should start.

taio
Posts: 5740
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1682 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by taio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 am

jdrobbo wrote:No it won’t: it’ll be in the terms of his contract that he plays.
Surprised you say this because it won't be true - there's no way that would be written into his contract.

jrgbfc
Posts: 4249
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 111 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Definitely hard to drop anyone after our best ever performance at the Emirates. It will be interesting to see when it happens but that is the point of us getting better players in and improving year on year...watching that first half yesterday I was convinced we would score at some point. The pressing and how we kept turning the ball over was fantastic.

You can see how Dyche is learning year on year too. I reckon with the resources of one of the big clubs there is no limit on how far Dyche can go. It is incredible that we still have him given that Man U and Chelsea both have coaches with just a patch of his experience.
Until Dyche shows a bit more flexibility/willingness to adapt then the bigger clubs won't go anywhere near him.

taio
Posts: 5740
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1682 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by taio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am

jrgbfc wrote:Until Dyche shows a bit more flexibility/willingness to adapt then the bigger clubs won't go anywhere near him.
Good.

bobinho
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1946 times
Has Liked: 2965 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by bobinho » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:56 am

jdrobbo wrote:No it won’t: it’ll be in the terms of his contract that he plays.
When I first read this, I dismissed it out of hand. I couldn’t see for the life of me why we as a club (especially with the management team we have) would have this dictated to us.

I still can’t see us being happy with it but what I CAN see is a club like Chelsea insisting this is inserted into the deal for two very good reasons. 1. It was last minute, and they had the upper hand. 2. Our recent history regarding how many minutes loanees have had under the current regime.

Anyway, we don’t know if this is in the contract, but he’s here and he’s a really good player. I’m sure we will see him at some point. Here’s hoping he's somewhere near where we know he can be when he does finally get a game.

Richardsbfc
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Richardsbfc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Did he see your goal at Carrington?
*Cliff mate.

Dont think he seen that goal mate. Seen the pitches on the Class Of 92 documentary the other day ... brought back some serious emotion.

lucs86
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 159 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by lucs86 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:47 am

He's going to have to bide his time considering Cork and Westwood's form so far, they're working well together. We were able to press a good side away from home effectively yesterday because they are both extremely fit, I can't imagine DD is close to that level with his lack of game time over the last few years.
Out of the 2 Cork seems to have a greater range, getting into the box and chasing into the corners, he's also taller. Take him out for a shorter, less athletic player and we're a different side. DD is more of a like-for-like replacement for Westwood, but he's been excellent in 2019.
He might need to wait for cup minutes and sub appearences, but his presence will keep Cork and Westwood on their toes.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18303
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7033 times
Has Liked: 9864 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Richardsbfc wrote:*Cliff mate.

Dont think he seen that goal mate. Seen the pitches on the Class Of 92 documentary the other day ... brought back some serious emotion.
:lol:

MACCA
Posts: 11807
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 3034 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 pm

bobinho wrote:Because they have both been doing their job as dictated to them by the boss.

We know they have weaknesses in their game, and that they are limited in the final third, but let’s not forget, if they weren’t, they’d be playing elsewhere. Because of their limitations, we structure our game plan accordingly. We can’t outplay and dominate the midfield in 80% of our games, so we concentrate on what we CAN do effectively, and these two have done very well so far this season.

No doubt about it that DD at his best is better than both our two CM lads, and bringing someone in with the quality he has is a major major coup for our club. But let’s not forget, he isn’t here to help Burnley become a top six side, he’s here to put himself in the window in the hope that playing, and playing well, sees someone who can pay the sort of wages he’s used to come in for him. If that happens, that’s good for Burnley because if he’s played well for us and he’s influential, we end up out of danger again.

In order for that to happen, he’s gonna have to wait for one of our current two to become injured or have a drop in form.

I think Rileybobs has it right. #22
Fair points, think SD strength and his weakness is his loyalty, which is fair enough.
Just hope DD presence here is enough for the current 2, to up and then maintain their game.
This user liked this post: bobinho

South West Claret.
Posts: 5019
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:26 pm

As it’s an unwritten policy not to progress to far in either of the cups then i wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him play at some stage against Sunderland.

JohnDearyMe
Posts: 1461
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:31 pm
Been Liked: 367 times
Has Liked: 949 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 pm

lucs86 wrote:He's going to have to bide his time considering Cork and Westwood's form so far, they're working well together. We were able to press a good side away from home effectively yesterday because they are both extremely fit, I can't imagine DD is close to that level with his lack of game time over the last few years.
Out of the 2 Cork seems to have a greater range, getting into the box and chasing into the corners, he's also taller. Take him out for a shorter, less athletic player and we're a different side. DD is more of a like-for-like replacement for Westwood, but he's been excellent in 2019.
He might need to wait for cup minutes and sub appearences, but his presence will keep Cork and Westwood on their toes.

I'd agree with this. What i hope Drinkwater will be able to do will be to move the ball on more quickly and with more accuracy so we can break better when we turn over possession

burnmark
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 332 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by burnmark » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Does he play in the U’23s on The Turf tomorrow?

(I assume there is a game tomorrow?)

wilks_bfc
Posts: 5708
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1724 times
Has Liked: 848 times
Contact:

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Definitely hard to drop anyone after our best ever performance at the Emirates. It will be interesting to see when it happens but that is the point of us getting better players in and improving year on year...watching that first half yesterday I was convinced we would score at some point. The pressing and how we kept turning the ball over was fantastic.

You can see how Dyche is learning year on year too. I reckon with the resources of one of the big clubs there is no limit on how far Dyche can go. It is incredible that we still have him given that Man U and Chelsea both have coaches with just a patch of his experience.

I’m trying to work out who he will drop from the squad to get Drinkwater in.
If he goes straight into the 11 it will be for either Cork or Westwood, who I’m assuming will drop to the bench, but for who?
Based on yesterday’s squad I’m guessing it would be Jeff as he was the only central midfielder on the bench.

Like wise when Brady returns, who for because Lennon has done well in the last two games he’s come on.

Admittedly it makes a change having these decisions to make rather than same starting 11 & 7 subs

bobinho
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1946 times
Has Liked: 2965 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by bobinho » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:35 pm

We have a real strength about us and REAL competition for places.

Been a long time coming, and it’s great but it brings its own issues. Sooner have it this way mind.

jrgbfc
Posts: 4249
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 111 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:18 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I’m trying to work out who he will drop from the squad to get Drinkwater in.
If he goes straight into the 11 it will be for either Cork or Westwood, who I’m assuming will drop to the bench, but for who?
Based on yesterday’s squad I’m guessing it would be Jeff as he was the only central midfielder on the bench.

Like wise when Brady returns, who for because Lennon has done well in the last two games he’s come on.

Admittedly it makes a change having these decisions to make rather than same starting 11 & 7 subs
We don't need 2 full backs on the bench so that frees up a space. For me Taylor has to come in for Pieters and Bardsley can sit on the bench instead of Pieters as he can cover both sides.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18303
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7033 times
Has Liked: 9864 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:54 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We don't need 2 full backs on the bench so that frees up a space. For me Taylor has to come in for Pieters and Bardsley can sit on the bench instead of Pieters as he can cover both sides.
Drop one of our key players so far from the squad completely?

FactualFrank
Posts: 19667
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5539 times
Has Liked: 9397 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Drop one of our key players so far from the squad completely?
No. The squad is bigger than the starting 11 + bench.

If you mean they don't make the bench then yes.

Post Reply