Bramall Lane

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Foulthrow
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 1250 times

Bramall Lane

Post by Foulthrow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:59 pm

I was telling my lad, as we were watching MOTD2, that Brammall Lane also used to be a cricket ground. I've had a quick Google search but couldn't find a great deal of information or pictures about it. Anyone know any more details or point me in the right direction to see some photos of how the ground evolved? TIA

mdd2
Posts: 4852
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1387 times
Has Liked: 632 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Nope but there were only 3 stands as one area abutted the cricket ground from memory
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 682 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Should of beat them that day in the FA Cup. Inchy and Eyres were class that day. Probably one of my top 3 away day experiences behind that goal. The atmosphere was electric
These 6 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets Quickenthetempo thomaspaine Dark Cloud Wirvine

Tricky Trevor
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 989 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:08 pm

Scroll down to cricket.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramall_Lane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you search “bramall lane cricket” you can hit images and there are plenty.

tim_noone
Posts: 14748
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3798 times
Has Liked: 13071 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:14 pm

My first away ground always in awe of that Massive Flag "The Blades" on their Kop...which was a pretty impressive standing area.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Should of beat them that day in the FA Cup. Inchy and Eyres were class that day. Probably one of my top 3 away day experiences behind that goal. The atmosphere was electric
One of my vivid memories as a kid. Remember it being absolutely packed and loads of Burnley fans moving ends. But we stayed where we were in the top tier. Remember thousands of balloons. And it was very very cold. 2-0 up and was in awe. Beating a premier league team on their own patch. It was proper dreamland. Then became a nightmare with inchy being sent off, them coming back into it and us getting pasted in the return leg at home where there was a bit of bother in The CFS.

In fact throwing that 2-0 lead away is probably why even now 20 odd years on I can never settle even when we go 3-0 up!

FCBurnley
Posts: 4533
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 972 times
Has Liked: 547 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Watched the SU v CP game and it reminded me when Sheff U would punt the ball towards the cricket pavilion to waste time if they were winning. The ball boys used to stroll towards the pavilion and stroll back. Super infuriating. Noticed very similar tactics yesterday with throw ins in second half. Still remember winning there in the cup through a Ray Pointer wonder goal ( 61-2)
These 2 users liked this post: Foulthrow claretgimmer

quoonbeatz
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:03 am
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 596 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Still remember winning there in the cup through a Ray Pointer wonder goal ( 61-2)
Decent figures.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Foulthrow wrote:I was telling my lad, as we were watching MOTD2, that Brammall Lane also used to be a cricket ground. I've had a quick Google search but couldn't find a great deal of information or pictures about it. Anyone know any more details or point me in the right direction to see some photos of how the ground evolved? TIA
Image

Image

Image
These 8 users liked this post: Foulthrow cricketfieldclarets Quicknick tim_noone Stayingup basil6345789 Moorite morpheus2

Foulthrow
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 1250 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Foulthrow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Brilliant pictures, thanks CT. Don’t think you’d get much of a view of the football from that pavilion!!!

Also, can’t have helped the atmosphere having one side open (or did they allow supporters to watch from the cricket pitch?).

FCBurnley
Posts: 4533
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 972 times
Has Liked: 547 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Was a horrible ground until they built the fourth side. Not much better then mind you. Remember going by train once in the sixties and match was postponed. Had to hang around until train back. They had a traveling fair close to the Station. Met some very classy Sheffield lasses there. Brought their own condoms !!!!!!! Those were the days (not)

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Brilliant pictures, thanks CT. Don’t think you’d get much of a view of the football from that pavilion!!!

Also, can’t have helped the atmosphere having one side open (or did they allow supporters to watch from the cricket pitch?).
I remember chatting to Barry Kilby about the FA Cup tie there in 1962. I was with my dad stood in a corner but he told me he was sat in the cricket pavilion with his dad. It was a hell of a distance away from the football pitch that's for sure.

If Sheffield United were losing in the closing stages of the game they would have a relay of ball boys getting the ball back quickly, if they were winning they didn't bother.

The final cricket match played there was in 1973, just a few days before we played Sheffield United on the opening day of the season.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Vino blanco
Posts: 3269
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
Been Liked: 1101 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Along with the Oval, Bramall Lane is the only ground to host a Test Match, an FA Cup Final and an International Football Match. It was also the first ground to host a floodlit match, back in the 1880s I think.
These 2 users liked this post: Foulthrow Buxtonclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Watched the SU v CP game and it reminded me when Sheff U would punt the ball towards the cricket pavilion to waste time if they were winning. The ball boys used to stroll towards the pavilion and stroll back. Super infuriating. Noticed very similar tactics yesterday with throw ins in second half. Still remember winning there in the cup through a Ray Pointer wonder goal ( 61-2)
Who got their 2?

LeadBelly
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am
Been Liked: 683 times
Has Liked: 1358 times
Location: North Hampshire

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:20 pm

I remember going there one year (mid 60sish) in a top division game when Sheff U were doing pretty well, I think with Mick Jones up front (before he went to Leeds). I can recall watching from behind the goals with the cricket pitch to the left.
We were losing by a goal but pressing for an equaliser - as you'd expect, there were a few Blades clearances down the cricket field that weren't exactly rushed back by the ball boys.

Lord Beamish
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 3295 times
Has Liked: 2452 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Should of beat them that day in the FA Cup. Inchy and Eyres were class that day. Probably one of my top 3 away day experiences behind that goal. The atmosphere was electric
Inchy was excellent, that day. I’m pretty sure that David Eyres was still a Blackpool Player, at that point.

Dark Cloud
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 am
Been Liked: 1021 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Northampton was exactly the same and was like that the day we beat them on our way to the 4th division title under Mullen (Marriot's final game) The cricket field was on one side. They've since moved of course.

Quicknick
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:25 pm
Been Liked: 754 times
Has Liked: 2891 times
Location: Chiang Rai, Thailand.

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Quicknick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Should of beat them that day in the FA Cup. Inchy and Eyres were class that day. Probably one of my top 3 away day experiences behind that goal. The atmosphere was electric
A Sheff U fan I know said that Burnley's support that day was the loudest ever at Bramall Lane.

NottsClaret
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am
Been Liked: 1891 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:16 pm

I can see it being very popular with travelling Clarets this season. Now Huddersfield are gone, this is one of the better away games with a proper ground easily walkable from the train station. And you'd imagine a reasonably tight game.

FCBurnley
Posts: 4533
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 972 times
Has Liked: 547 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:19 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Who got their 2?
Probably Kettleborough and Pace !!!

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Should of beat them that day in the FA Cup. Inchy and Eyres were class that day. Probably one of my top 3 away day experiences behind that goal. The atmosphere was electric
Played on a skating rink - no Eyres that day but Heath got both our goals and then got sent off

summitclaret
Posts: 2766
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 864 times
Location: burnley

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by summitclaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I remember chatting to Barry Kilby about the FA Cup tie there in 1962. I was with my dad stood in a corner but he told me he was sat in the cricket pavilion with his dad. It was a hell of a distance away from the football pitch that's for sure.

If Sheffield United were losing in the closing stages of the game they would have a relay of ball boys getting the ball back quickly, if they were winning they didn't bother.

The final cricket match played there was in 1973, just a few days before we played Sheffield United on the opening day of the season.
I went to that 62 cup game with my grandad. Seem to remember that part of the wall just behind the goal at the big home end gave way.

Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 682 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Played on a skating rink - no Eyres that day but Heath got both our goals and then got sent off
Damn Memory!!! I was sure we should have had a penalty early on and it was Eyres that was fouled

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Damn Memory!!! I was sure we should have had a penalty early on and it was Eyres that was fouled
I've dug the team out for you - it was Marlon Beresford, Ian Measham, Joe Jakub, Steve Davis, John Pender, Andy Farrell, Robbie Painter, Adrian Randall, Adrian Heath, Mike Conroy, Steve Harper. One change for the replay saw Mark Monington come in for Painter.

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:34 pm

summitclaret wrote:I went to that 62 cup game with my grandad. Seem to remember that part of the wall just behind the goal at the big home end gave way.
It did give way, at the Shoreham Street End. I went with my dad and we were at the Bramall Lane End. Really bad fog on the way home and my mum was frantic because she'd heard about the wall collapse and there was no sign of us, we were really late getting home because of the fog.

Clarets4me
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1684 times
Has Liked: 727 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Played on a skating rink - no Eyres that day but Heath got both our goals and then got sent off


Didn't Steve Davis hit the bar with a header early in the 2nd half, when we were 2-0 up ? If only .....

Seem to remember Brian Deane coming on as a sub and scored two late on to take it to the replay ... :roll:

Stayingup
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 792 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Stayingup » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Foulthrow wrote:I was telling my lad, as we were watching MOTD2, that Brammall Lane also used to be a cricket ground. I've had a quick Google search but couldn't find a great deal of information or pictures about it. Anyone know any more details or point me in the right direction to see some photos of how the ground evolved? TIA
It doubled as cricket ground and football ground. Yorkshire played occasional cricket matches there. For the football there were effectively only three sides for spectators. Bit like Deadwood these days (but for a different reason).

Nonayforever
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:15 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Bramhall Lane - a brilliant name for a football ground, the same as Turf Moor. Proper names.
Much better than the Emirates & such like.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Nonayforever wrote:Bramhall Lane - a brilliant name for a football ground, the same as Turf Moor. Proper names.
Much better than the Emirates & such like.
Apart from the fact that it’s Bramall Lane

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Didn't Steve Davis hit the bar with a header early in the 2nd half, when we were 2-0 up ? If only .....

Seem to remember Brian Deane coming on as a sub and scored two late on to take it to the replay ... :roll:
Might be wrong but I thought littlejohn scored but Deane battered us at turf

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Might be wrong but I thought littlejohn scored but Deane battered us at turf
I think Deane got them both at Bramall Lane. Wasn’t Littlejohn sent off?

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I think Deane got them both at Bramall Lane. Wasn’t Littlejohn sent off?
We are all wrong.

https://youtu.be/TtIfnPayuKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I knew littlejohn was sent off but thought he scored too.

They should’ve had two reds though. Look at that kick on heath.

Clarets4me
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1684 times
Has Liked: 727 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I think Deane got them both at Bramall Lane. Wasn’t Littlejohn sent off?
Treading carefully here, I'm fairly certain the replay was the game where a fan sadly suffered a fatal heart attack ?
I think Brian Deane got a hat-trick in the replay after Inchy gave us an early lead ... finished 2-5 ish ..

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Treading carefully here, I'm fairly certain the replay was the game where a fan sadly suffered a fatal heart attack ?
I think Brian Deane got a hat-trick in the replay after Inchy gave us an early lead ... finished 2-5 ish ..
Was 4-2 - Heath & Mornington for us and I think Deane(3)
& Littlejohn fit them. One thing I do know for certain is the replay was on 12th January, a cup defeat is not the best on your birthday.

There was an incident with Littlejohn in front of the Longside.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Treading carefully here, I'm fairly certain the replay was the game where a fan sadly suffered a fatal heart attack ?
I think Brian Deane got a hat-trick in the replay after Inchy gave us an early lead ... finished 2-5 ish ..
Yes remember the guy being carried past cfs and fans spitting on him. :cry:

jrgbfc
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 120 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Didn't Littlejohn celebrate in front of the Longside which caused a crowd surge? I was only a kid but seem to recall it was a pretty fiery atmosphere that night.

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Didn't Littlejohn celebrate in front of the Longside which caused a crowd surge? I was only a kid but seem to recall it was a pretty fiery atmosphere that night.
Something like that, was definitely due to him celebrating in front of the Longside.

Foulthrow
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 1250 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Foulthrow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Was 4-2 - Heath & Mornington for us and I think Deane(3)
& Littlejohn fit them. One thing I do know for certain is the replay was on 12th January, a cup defeat is not the best on your birthday.

There was an incident with Littlejohn in front of the Longside.
I think I recall him giving us the middle finger.

dandeclaret
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Image

Image

Image


Long boundary one one side isn't it? Plenty of all run 4's :D

Dark Cloud
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 am
Been Liked: 1021 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I don't believe Deane scored in the original match, but after Heath gave us an early lead in the replay Deane tore us apart and got a hat trick, sadly. Both matches were very fiesty with great atmosphere.

Clarets4me
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1684 times
Has Liked: 727 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Looks a bit like watching a game at West Ham's " London Stadium " .....

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 pm

When the cricket stopped and they built the new main stand, the cricket pavilion was left standing for a long time in the car park at the back of the stand.

Tricky Trevor
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 989 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 pm

The Heath game.1993.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIfnPayuKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1962. Pointers winner sadly obscured. Nobody mentioned the 50 injured in crowd.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJkzBzhp624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:I don't believe Deane scored in the original match, but after Heath gave us an early lead in the replay Deane tore us apart and got a hat trick, sadly. Both matches were very fiesty with great atmosphere.
You are spot on. He came on as a sub didn't he and helped turn things round, but as the footage shows, Deane didn't score at Bramall Lane.

jdrobbo
Posts: 4388
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Been Liked: 2445 times
Has Liked: 591 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 pm

I love Bramall Lane.

tim_noone
Posts: 14748
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3798 times
Has Liked: 13071 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Looks a bit like watching a game at West Ham's " London Stadium " .....
No nay never....Envy has created a myth :D

Foulthrow
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 1250 times

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:When the cricket stopped and they built the new main stand, the cricket pavilion was left standing for a long time in the car park at the back of the stand.
Love to see a picture of that. I love stuff on old grounds.

Sausage
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am
Been Liked: 626 times
Has Liked: 423 times
Location: London

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Sausage » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Love to see a picture of that. I love stuff on old grounds.
Here you go. Does anyone know who the architect was for the Bob Lord Stand? I ask because I once heard a rumour that it was scaled back significantly when we were relegated in 1971. Before it was renovated in the mid-2000s, the South Stand at Bramall Lane bore all the hallmarks of being the Bob Lord's bigger and more impressive brother, complete with wooden seats. They were both built around the same time too.
Attachments
Bramall Lane.jpg
Bramall Lane.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
These 2 users liked this post: Foulthrow Buxtonclaret

ClaretTony
Posts: 39256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 17556 times
Has Liked: 3283 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Sausage wrote:Here you go. Does anyone know who the architect was for the Bob Lord Stand? I ask because I once heard a rumour that it was scaled back significantly when we were relegated in 1971. Before it was renovated in the mid-2000s, the South Stand at Bramall Lane bore all the hallmarks of being the Bob Lord's bigger and more impressive brother, complete with wooden seats. They were both built around the same time too.
Brilliant pic. I did some searching but couldn't find one that showed the pavilion outside the ground. Last time I was round that side of the ground was in 2007 and I think the pavilion had gone by then, shame really.

Sausage
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am
Been Liked: 626 times
Has Liked: 423 times
Location: London

Re: Bramall Lane

Post by Sausage » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:47 pm

The pavilion was demolished in 1980.

Post Reply