Football and geography

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Football and geography

Post by Pstotto » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Now that climate change and carbon footprints and the oncoming predictions of more and more extreme weather and with it, societal problems such as the spread of disease and national disaster, I now think the notion of globalization and the political remit for it, is counter productive for civilization as a whole.

I think an intuitive part of the Brexit vote was about this and a wish to stem that tide, including the creeping cultural inclusion of Asia in Europe via football and international club competitions.

With this in mind, I think UEFA should split into a Western Europe F.A.an Eastern Europe F.A. and a Eurasian F.A. with its own football competitions and an expanded World Club Cup tournament, also if other geographical regions wised up.

I think Russia and Turkey and Israel should be part of Eurasia and Greece part of Eastern Europe. I think the geographic border of Eastern Europe is Russia and the Eastern seaboard of the Crimea.

Following on from this, hopefully political good sense will accrue according to these new border cohort development.

The Europa Final In Baku, marks the nadir of the present absurdity.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Re: Football and geography

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:40 pm

I see you haven't sobered up yet Pstttt :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're "the nadir of present absurdity" m8 ;)

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1170 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm

As fanciful as this sounds, UEFA is one of the few continental associations that doesn't have official subdivisions.

Africa has 4 subregions
Asia has 5
N. America has 2

However none of these have tournaments just for clubs in each subregion.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the OP has a point. You could also have an inter-sector competition involving the winners of the three sectional tournaments. The idea of a 'proper' world club cup involving all the winners from the various regions (South America obviously plus the winners of any similar competitions in Africa and Asia/Australia - if they exist) I think would be an excellent idea.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Finland I think would belong in the Eastern Europe group too. Makes sense regarding the gap in finances, fan travel and fan interest, to split UEFA. Greece is not considered to be Eastern Europe because the West want to access East via land but that is a bit silly, Greece in the EU and Germany is too big a gap economically really.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Pstotto wrote:Finland I think would belong in the Eastern Europe group too. Makes sense regarding the gap in finances, fan travel and fan interest, to split UEFA. Greece is not considered to be Eastern Europe because the West want to access East via land but that is a bit silly, Greece in the EU and Germany is too big a gap economically really.
Less diffence economically than that between California and Iowa in the US - but both seem quite happy to be part of the same country.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am

The carbon footprint and geography side of football could be altered by the EFL in a way that would benefit the clubs playing in Leagues 1 and 2.
Maybe the way football clubs and supporters finances are being stretched in the above divisions of EFL teams, the re introduction of a Division North and South, should be considered.
It would reduce expenses, travelling time and the mileage of say, as in the past Hartlepool playing away at Exeter in a midweek game. Plus the affect on attendances at more local games will increase, with potentially the likelihood of more derby games. The potential extra income and savings for all the clubs and supporters, maybe be the saviour from more going bust.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:30 am

Haven't we always been at war with Eurasia?

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1170 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 am

claretabroad wrote:Haven't we always been at war with Eurasia?
B0llocks. I distinctly remember being at war with Eastasia

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 am

I haven't, I always liked A Little Respect
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Falcon

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:59 am

Eurasia is that a bit McFly joining with Busted making "McBusted"

Eurasia the Swedish band Europe joining with Brit rock band Asia ..... Wonder what their version of "The Final Countdown" mixed with "The Heat of the Moment" is like

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm not sure, but he who controls the past controls the present, and he who controls the present controls the future.