The Amazon rainforest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2196 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Re: The Amazon rainforest

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 pm

As long as we have a climate change denying fascist in charge of Brazil, backed up by a climate change denying fascist in charge of the US, the earth's lungs will continue to deteriorate.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Cajun

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Well said Fidel!
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:Money will always come first until it's too late - then it will be worthless.
But if we offered foreign aid to them to stop earning a living would you be happy with that? It's a difficult situation but it's not all about greed but necessity. A very simplistic example is: you live on an island where the only thing you can 'grow' is a certain kind of sheep, which is only found on your island. The sheep concerned has been declared an endangered species but you have nothing else to eat without relying on the money and goodwill of richer islands whose residents don't really like the idea of their governments giving you money. What do you eat? What do you give your families to eat? Of course you have to kill the endangered sheep. Now I did say that this was simplistic but it is a kind of microcosm of the Amazon thing. I'm not saying that greed is not involved at all and things could possibly be done differently but we shouldn't be too quick to judge.

Incidentally if it meant my grandkids and their kids having a future or not I'd rather give them the money to stop doing it/

CJW
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by CJW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 am

CJW wrote:Don't shoot the messenger:
http://6000.co.za/more-on-those-horrend ... est-fires/
Most of the Amazon in Brazil is in the state of Amazonas, and the fires there aren't just above average, they're above anything in the last 15 years.

The childish blog you linked is trying to downplay a very serious problem. Maybe you shouldn't listen to that blogger any more.

This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:15 am

Maybe if all these countries around the world are so bothered about a forest in South America burning down, they'd each give up a portion of their land to forest that would cumulatively equal what is being lost in Brazil and we'd be no worse off. Problem is, there's not much money to be made from forestry.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 am

No Ney Never wrote:Maybe if all these countries around the world are so bothered about a forest in South America burning down, they'd each give up a portion of their land to forest that would cumulatively equal what is being lost in Brazil and we'd be no worse off. Problem is, there's not much money to be made from forestry.
Because as we all know, trees grow overnight.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Because as we all know, trees grow overnight.
It's well known that young trees absorb more carbon from the atmosphere than established trees.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:56 am

No Ney Never wrote:It's well known that young trees absorb more carbon from the atmosphere than established trees.
Not overnight. You can burn a tree in a few hours, but you can't plant and grow a tree in the same amount of time to immediately offset the carbon released by burning it.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 am

No Ney Never wrote: they'd each give up a portion of their land to forest that would cumulatively equal what is being lost in Brazil and we'd be no worse off.
You cannot simply replicate the biodiversity of a rainforest. It takes thousands of years to do so.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 am

Billy Balfour wrote:You cannot simply replicate the biodiversity of a rainforest. It takes thousands of years to do so.
Agree absolutely. A few new trees, red squirrels and a barn owl is no substitute for the diverse ecosystem sustained in the Amazon. It's a very sad situation.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Not overnight. You can burn a tree in a few hours, but you can't plant and grow a tree in the same amount of time to immediately offset the carbon released by burning it.
:roll: have you really posted that? Completely missing the concern.
The major issue is not about offsetting the carbon from the burning trees, it's that the forest absorbs the carbon from the atmosphere. Purposely clearing the Amazon so that there will be no more forest, 'the lungs of the world', can have a massive detrimental impact on an ongoing basis.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am

No Ney Never wrote::roll: have you really posted that? Completely missing the concern.
The major issue is not about offsetting the carbon from the burning trees, it's that the forest absorbs the carbon from the atmosphere. Purposely clearing the Amazon so that there will be no more forest, 'the lungs of the world', can have a massive detrimental impact on an ongoing basis.
I think you're misunderstanding what i'm saying. You seemed to be suggesting that we could just replace the deforested trees with new trees because new trees more efficiently than older trees. I was pointing out a fairly obvious flaw in that idea.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:46 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Maybe if all these countries around the world are so bothered about a forest in South America burning down, they'd each give up a portion of their land to forest that would cumulatively equal what is being lost in Brazil and we'd be no worse off. Problem is, there's not much money to be made from forestry.
It's not only about the trees, it's a multi tiered system which will take at least 100,00 years to recover.......it creates its own weather.......it's a system, NOT just a lot of trees! And don't even get me started on the plants and animals that are being lost!
I recommend you watch 'Our Planet' the David Attenborough program....you might realize why it's such a big deal!
It might even prevent you making similar ridiculous comments in the future.

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:45 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... -is-wrong/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:03 pm

No Ney Never wrote:It's well known that young trees absorb more carbon from the atmosphere than established trees.
Really?

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:It's not only about the trees, it's a multi tiered system which will take at least 100,00 years to recover.......it creates its own weather.......it's a system, NOT just a lot of trees! And don't even get me started on the plants and animals that are being lost!
I recommend you watch 'Our Planet' the David Attenborough program....you might realize why it's such a big deal!
It might even prevent you making similar ridiculous comments in the future.
Clearly my post #11 completely went over your head? :roll:

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 pm

its only a few burnt trees, also, think of all the dangerous snakes and deadly spiders that are coughing and spluttering their b*****s off.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 750 times
Has Liked: 1827 times

Post by morpheus2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Really?
Yes, we often drop this commonly accepted observation into the conversation down at the Gentlemen's Club whilst discussing Wittgenstein over a game of backgammon.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Patrick Moore has absolutely no credibility.
Very much like you then eh!

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:17 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Id never heard of him but it took me less than 10 mins to do a bit of googling and see that his credibility is zero.

Its no wonder we are where we are with things like Trump and Brexit when people will just believe anything presented to them if it says what they want to hear
You mean like you just read online? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:51 pm

bob-the-scutter wrote:You mean like you just read online? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope there's a big difference between the people who see an article (what reinforces their view) and just presume it to be true (or dont even care) with what I do where I look at multiple articles from different sources from reputable people/organisations and even looked to fact check them.

In this case it didnt take long as there was clear and consistent debunking of the claims he makes about himself and his credentials and absolutely no support for him from anyone outside the circles of people is views support and who pays his salary

Its why Trump and the media that support him just put out lie after lie cos they know theres enough gullible idiots who will just lap it up without question. The sad thing is that since Brexit this country is going in exactly the same direction at an ever increasing speed

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:06 pm

bob-the-scutter wrote:Very much like you then eh!
Why is what i say lacking in credibility?