Rangers crowd problems.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Rangers crowd problems.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Rangers have been ordered to close part of Ibrox for Thursday's meeting with Legia Warsaw following "racist behaviour - which includes sectarian singing" from fans.

The punishment from Uefa relates to the Europa League first round, second leg against St Joseph's on 18 July.

Rangers must close at least 3,000 seats and display a banner with "#EqualGame" on it in the empty section.

They are yet to announce the area to be shut for the sold-out game.

I get that the game is attempting to rid itself of unacceptable behaviour, but its almost big brotherish to dictate to a club what message it must display to the watching world surely.
The big blue and white elephant in the room cannot be sanitised by some corporate hogwash on a banner.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Re: Rangers crowd problems.

Post by KeighleyClaret » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Not sure I agree. I went to Stuart McCall's testimonial at Valley Parade when Bradford City played a team of current and former Rangers players - the sectarian chanting was appalling and convinced me we should never let the Old Firm into English football. Abuse based on religion has no place in Football, indeed in any walk of life and needs stamping out.

Sadly the sectarian abuse in Scottish Football has become worse in the last year since the misguided repeal of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act (OBFA) - a hugely unpopular action in Scotland but motivated largely by a desire use an opportunity to bash the Scottish Government. It has become uncommon to take any legal action against sectarian abuse since then and it is now left to UEFA to sort out.

It will be very unpalatable for some Rangers fans to see such a banner displayed (and for those who wont get to watch the match). It may be little more than a gesture I suppose, but you have to start somewhere.
These 2 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote nil_desperandum

peter_nobles_fringe
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by peter_nobles_fringe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:02 pm

sectarian bile never ceases to flow from either of the old firm to the point it verges on childishness
These 2 users liked this post: box_of_frogs tiger76

claret3561
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm

What do we want
An end to sectarianism
When do we want it
Before the Catholics get it.
These 3 users liked this post: Braindead ZizkovClaret longside72