The game has gone mad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Posts: 9891
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1794 times
Has Liked: 689 times

The game has gone mad

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm

What a pile of old sh!te football is these days, non contact sport, VAR is a bag of wank too, trying to go all American and perfect a sport that isn’t perfect. Not even just that bullshit that happened to us, I find myself less interested in the game these days.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

thelaughingclaret
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:23 pm
Been Liked: 199 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by thelaughingclaret » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 pm

This is one of the many issues with VAR. It’s still humans making the decisions and humans have bias. Wolves are now a big European side, they are media darlings and have lots of foreign players. Bound to happen. Nowt we can do.

Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1288 times
Has Liked: 1791 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

KRBFC wrote:What a pile of old sh!te football is these days, non contact sport, VAR is a bag of wank too, trying to go all American and perfect a sport that isn’t perfect. Not even just that bullshit that happened to us, I find myself less interested in the game these days.
It is what the modern fan wants so just live with it because it is only going to get worse.
You have to remember that modern football is far better than the dross served up by Finney, Matthews, Pele, Puskas, George Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, McIlroy to name just a few.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

burnley007
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am
Been Liked: 188 times
Has Liked: 281 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by burnley007 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Incredible decision.
Once I saw the VAR replay, I was relieved cos it clearly wasnt a penalty.

Goalposts
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:36 pm
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 109 times
Location: the ghost in the atom

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Goalposts » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:This is one of the many issues with VAR. It’s still humans making the decisions and humans have bias. Wolves are now a big European side, they are media darlings and have lots of foreign players. Bound to happen. Nowt we can do.
other than the var decision against city today that was not given...a very clear penalty on silva

KRBFC
Posts: 9891
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1794 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:It is what the modern fan wants so just live with it because it is only going to get worse.
You have to remember that modern football is far better than the dross served up by Finney, Matthews, Pele, Puskas, George Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, McIlroy to name just a few.
I’m not old enough for those days, even more recent I miss the Keane v Vieira battles, I think most of the player don’t give a monkeys these days, it seems way more money motivated than before. The officiating is worse, the top 6 bias punditry and coverage is a disgrace (they act like there aren’t 14 other sides in the league). The play acting, VAR, football has become almost a non contact sport. Players can’t even make tackles these days, whistle whistle whistle is a passion killer, the ferocious battles got fans off the seat. You dont find many old fashioned dirty sneaky central defenders around these days but I prefer them.

KRBFC
Posts: 9891
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1794 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:46 pm

The last minute Man City winner against Spurs last week was a joke too, how on earth was that ruled out for handball?

Steddyman
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Steddyman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm

It was a penalty. He wouldn't have scored had he not been fouled, but he still had his foot taken. I'd have taken a point before the match.

kaptin1
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 369 times
Has Liked: 104 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Steddyman wrote:It was a penalty. He wouldn't have scored had he not been fouled, but he still had his foot taken. I'd have taken a point before the match.
Totally agree with this

FCBurnley
Posts: 4374
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 522 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Steddyman wrote:It was a penalty. He wouldn't have scored had he not been fouled, but he still had his foot taken. I'd have taken a point before the match.
Rail kicked Pieters foot and collapsed in a heap
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Steddyman
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Steddyman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:55 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Rail kicked Pieters foot and collapsed in a heap
Wow.. An amazing skill to kick somebody else's foot when yours is in front of theirs.
This user liked this post: Raggus

ALP
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Been Liked: 861 times
Has Liked: 281 times
Contact:

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by ALP » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:56 pm

This is why I now prefer non league footy, the lads don't fein injuries, there is no VAR and they get on with it; the premier league is just a money pit and the game has lost the plot up there, it's absolute ******** as was that decision.

wilks_bfc
Posts: 5838
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 863 times
Contact:

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:25 pm

I’ve seen lots of posts both here & on FB about it not being a penalty but I’m struggling to see how it wasn’t

If that was the other way around we’d be screaming for it
This user liked this post: Raggus

Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 6588
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 2122 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 pm

How’s VAR to blame? Didn’t the ref give the pen?

Or are we whinging in general?
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Raggus

ALP
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Been Liked: 861 times
Has Liked: 281 times
Contact:

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by ALP » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:How’s VAR to blame? Didn’t the ref give the pen?

Or are we whinging in general?
I whinging in general :lol: :lol:

Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 6588
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 2122 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 pm

ALP wrote:I whinging in general :lol: :lol:
Well we all love that if we are honest.
This user liked this post: ALP

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by thatdberight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 pm

KRBFC wrote:The last minute Man City winner against Spurs last week was a joke too, how on earth was that ruled out for handball?
Because that's the law of the game.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

mkmel
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 1074 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by mkmel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm

If a goal is scored as a result of a handball whether accidental or on purpose then the 'goal' is disallowed

CombatClaret
Posts: 3391
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 727 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:How’s VAR to blame? Didn’t the ref give the pen?

Or are we whinging in general?
I'd argue that VAR is to blame because it's clear this season they are backing referee penalty decision, so far, 100% of the time. Making it almost redundant with the exception of the offside checks.

They said themselves they've set a 'high bar' for overturning a referee's decision so despite having the technology to rule on incidents based on the rules of the game with the added advantage of replays in multiple angles. They'd rather make the standard of refereeing appear proficient over actually using the technology to implement correct decisions.

Dyched
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1425 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Dyched » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:The last minute Man City winner against Spurs last week was a joke too, how on earth was that ruled out for handball?
Handball is handball. How can you have a rule but say if it is accidentally done it is ok?

“Sorry ref I was accidentally offside can that goal count please?”

MDWat
Posts: 1469
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 pm
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 159 times
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by MDWat » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:What a pile of old sh!te football is these days, non contact sport, VAR is a bag of wank too, trying to go all American and perfect a sport that isn’t perfect. Not even just that bullshit that happened to us, I find myself less interested in the game these days.
Spot on

Taffy on the wing
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:41 am
Been Liked: 239 times
Has Liked: 870 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:The last minute Man City winner against Spurs last week was a joke too, how on earth was that ruled out for handball?
Erm because his hand deflected the ball, enabling them to score!
It would have been cleared otherwise.

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 683 times
Has Liked: 394 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 pm

So we have a virtually identical situation to the Wolves penalty in the City game and one is given and the other isn’t. I thought VAR was to ensure we got the correct decision and consistency. That is working well then.....

dsr
Posts: 10567
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3089 times
Has Liked: 1316 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Steddyman wrote:Wow.. An amazing skill to kick somebody else's foot when yours is in front of theirs.
It is an amazing skill. I once saw Denis Law score a goal for Man City against Man United by kicking the ball when his foot was in front of the ball, and they called it a "back-heel". I'm not sure if it's been done since? ;)

I think the referee's point was that although Jiminez was virtually doing the splits and would certainly have fallen anyway, and though he screamed to wake the dead even though he clearly wasn't huirt, nonetheless two players touched each other in the box and both fell over. Which is a clear penalty according to the laws of the game. Obviously.

VAR is not going to overturn referees unless it is "clear and obvious" which is right in a way. Hence Kane doesn't get one for Spurs because the ref didn't give it, because you could argue that Kane exaggerated it; but VAR also doesn't overturn our one because after all the two players touched each other and the ref determined that that is a foul to Wolves, probably because Jiminez shouted louder. Maybe they used Hawkeye's snickometer.

IanMcL
Posts: 18357
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3646 times
Has Liked: 4252 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 pm

The refs union has sorted VAR so that whatever decision they want is confirmed by VAR

Only the blatantly obvious....no contact at all, will be possibly different from ref decision.

That will be greeted by, "VAR is great - there is no way the ref could have seen that, from his angle".

FactualFrank
Posts: 20460
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5684 times
Has Liked: 9679 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:37 pm

It's all kicking off here.

GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 754 times
Has Liked: 1643 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:39 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Rail kicked Pieters foot and collapsed in a heap
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 5627 times
Not even close to kicking Pieters foot.

https://www.skysports.com/football/wolv ... ley/408010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to watch it again if you're not sure, but Pieters kicked the back of Raul's foot, although the lad did make a big enough deal out of it I'm surprised he could take the penalty :roll:

Shore claret
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times
Location: Starbug

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Shore claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:26 am

The penalty was given for the reaction, the wolves player reacted in a completely unnatural way, I'm just glad the lads ok he looked like he'd broken his whole body

taio
Posts: 5814
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1703 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by taio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am

As disappointing as it was the penalty was the correct decision. If it was the other way around I'd certainly be wanting a pen. Pieters just needed to stand up and stay goal side.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

KRBFC
Posts: 9891
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1794 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 am

Dyched wrote:Handball is handball. How can you have a rule but say if it is accidentally done it is ok?

“Sorry ref I was accidentally offside can that goal count please?”
But that’s always been the game of football, like the Arsenal freekick that led to the corner for their first goal, Mee was putting his hands behind his back when the ball hit, never handball in a million years.

Dyched
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1425 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Dyched » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am

KRBFC wrote:But that’s always been the game of football, like the Arsenal freekick that led to the corner for their first goal, Mee was putting his hands behind his back when the ball hit, never handball in a million years.
You can’t use your hands. Like rugby can’t pass forward. Or hockey you can’t use your feet. All this “accidental” stuff is daft. The new rule makes total sense to me.

How ridiculous is it in a sport where outfield players can’t use your hands can you have defining moments that involve handballs?

I’m no great fine of Rugby so imagine the Rugby WC final defining try came from a knock on and it was given as “accidental”. It’s proper stupid.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

morpheus2
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 475 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by morpheus2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:34 am

The ref and VAR were well and truly duped. Pieter's foot was already in full motion going towards the ball before Raul cleverly thrust his foot just in front of Pieter's foot (studs almost landing on top of) nearly at the moment of ball contact...Pieters eye on the ball, foot almost in contact with ball and someone sticks their foot in the way from the side almost landing on top and snapping Pieter's metatarsals?....free kick to Burnley and red card for Raul's play-acting afterwards.
This user liked this post: Firthy

GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 754 times
Has Liked: 1643 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 am

morpheus2 wrote:The ref and VAR were well and truly duped. Pieter's foot was already in full motion going towards the ball before Raul cleverly thrust his foot just in front of Pieter's foot (studs almost landing on top of) nearly at the moment of ball contact...Pieters eye on the ball, foot almost in contact with ball and someone sticks their foot in the way from the side almost landing on top and snapping Pieter's metatarsals?....free kick to Burnley and red card for Raul's play-acting afterwards.
You're either trolling or wearing claret and blue specs.
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4986 times
The players leg is well Infront of Pieters, who's foot isn't even close to the ball.
I get it that some people can only see what they want at times, but really...

boatshed bill
Posts: 5667
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1205 times
Has Liked: 2678 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You're either trolling or wearing claret and blue specs.
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png
The players leg is well Infront of Pieters, who's foot isn't even close to the ball.
I get it that some people can only see what they want at times, but really...

Foul or not, the exaggerated fall was worth a penalty .

morpheus2
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 475 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by morpheus2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You're either trolling or wearing claret and blue specs.
Screenshot_20190825-233847.png
The players leg is well Infront of Pieters, who's foot isn't even close to the ball.
I get it that some people can only see what they want at times, but really...

You don't know nothing! Three match ban too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
These 15 users liked this: bfc-steve claret_1 frankinwales GodIsADeeJay81 Hibsclaret IWOODLOVETT JohnMac randomclaret2 The Enclosure the_magic_rat CleggHall Dannyh1882 Elizabeth FactualFrank 9thMay1987 AndrewJB

Erasmus
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 pm
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Erasmus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am

We need to see far fewer penalties being given. In my view, to score a goal you need to properly get the better of the opposition defence (even if that is due to a mistake by the defence). If a ball just happens to fly up and hit a player's hand, or is driven at his hand then you haven't created a goal, it's something different. Similarly, if a player is not in any position to attack the goal but just gets a touch and throws himself down he hasn't created an opportunity on goal.

The penalty rule is meant to ensure that players who are in a position to score goals are not denied that chance by illegal means such as tripping, kicking, pushing or handling the ball. These days it is a tactic used by forwards to get a penalty when they haven't created a chance on goal and it undermines the basic principles of the game.
These 4 users liked this post: Heathclaret boatshed bill Jel No Ney Never

Heathclaret
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:49 am
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 167 times
Location: Bracebridge Heath, Lincoln.

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Heathclaret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am

If we got a penalty for that I’d be celebrating our monumental good fortune. Never a penalty. A bit like Costa for Spain against Holland when Costa stood on the defenders foot and fell over. Got the penalty. I thought VAR was supposed to stop these decisions.

Rileybobs
Posts: 7815
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 3263 times
Has Liked: 747 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:22 pm

It’s a difficult one. I can see why the ref has given it. I can say with 100% honesty though that if the shoe was on the other foot and we hadn’t been given that penalty I wouldn’t be up in arms about it.

boatshed bill
Posts: 5667
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1205 times
Has Liked: 2678 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:It’s a difficult one. I can see why the ref has given it. I can say with 100% honesty though that if the shoe was on the other foot and we hadn’t been given that penalty I wouldn’t be up in arms about it.
TBH, if it was Barnes up front the ref wouldn't have blown for the pen

fidelcastro
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1124 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:10 pm

boatshed bill wrote:TBH, if it was Barnes up front the ref wouldn't have blown for the pen
How do you know this? :?

boatshed bill
Posts: 5667
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1205 times
Has Liked: 2678 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

fidelcastro wrote:How do you know this? :?
Because
A we tend to be less theatrical , SD discourages diving which is what the Wolves tw@t did,
B look at our PL history, we don't get penalties.

fidelcastro
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1124 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Because
A we tend to be less theatrical , SD discourages diving which is what the Wolves tw@t did,
B look at our PL history, we don't get penalties.
Yes, as we all know, Barnes has never exaggerated contact in his life!

boatshed bill
Posts: 5667
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1205 times
Has Liked: 2678 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Yes, as we all know, Barnes has never exaggerated contact in his life!
Suit yourself, but can you remember one penalty that Barnes has "won"? I can't.

dsr
Posts: 10567
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3089 times
Has Liked: 1316 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Suit yourself, but can you remember one penalty that Barnes has "won"? I can't.
There were those two "dives" last year against Southampton and Brighton. One of those "dives" "won" him a penalty!!! :twisted:

houseboy
Posts: 5567
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 1280 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:It is what the modern fan wants so just live with it because it is only going to get worse.
You have to remember that modern football is far better than the dross served up by Finney, Matthews, Pele, Puskas, George Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, McIlroy to name just a few.
You actually think that? The Brazil team of the Pele era (circa '70) was the best football team to ever walk this planet. Football is not better now - it is faster yes due to sports science and diet (and better pitches) but the sight of so-called superstars rolling around in alleged agony until the ref gives a free kick/penalty is not an improvement. Turning cheating into an art form (and allowing it) is not an improvement. Turning a Saturday afternoon sport into a 24/7 TV spectacle is not an improvement. Having to try to find your way to Southampton on a Monday night is not better. Having your season ticket nullified because the date and or time of a game has changed to a time when you can't attend isn't better. Having to sit down most certainly isn't better (for me). Spending hard earned cash to watch guys who are massively over paid for what they do is no improvement. Seeing the game I love become a slave to money is not something I would want to continue and hopefully the bubble will burst. Seeing the likes of Bolton and Bury in the mess they are in because of the money in football is no improvement for anyone.I'd far sooner go back to no money in football and players who you can actually relate to rather than the media treating them like film stars. And that's before we even get to the massive over-hyping of the PL and it's 'best league in the world' myth.

But for these one or two issues I might agree with you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1288 times
Has Liked: 1791 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm

houseboy wrote:You actually think that? The Brazil team of the Pele era (circa '70) was the best football team to ever walk this planet. Football is not better now - it is faster yes due to sports science and diet (and better pitches) but the sight of so-called superstars rolling around in alleged agony until the ref gives a free kick/penalty is not an improvement. Turning cheating into an art form (and allowing it) is not an improvement. Turning a Saturday afternoon sport into a 24/7 TV spectacle is not an improvement. Having to try to find your way to Southampton on a Monday night is not better. Having your season ticket nullified because the date and or time of a game has changed to a time when you can't attend isn't better. Having to sit down most certainly isn't better (for me). Spending hard earned cash to watch guys who are massively over paid for what they do is no improvement. Seeing the game I love become a slave to money is not something I would want to continue and hopefully the bubble will burst. Seeing the likes of Bolton and Bury in the mess they are in because of the money in football is no improvement for anyone.I'd far sooner go back to no money in football and players who you can actually relate to rather than the media treating them like film stars. And that's before we even get to the massive over-hyping of the PL and it's 'best league in the world' myth.

But for these one or two issues I might agree with you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a 72 year old lover of football who has watched, played and refereed in 10 different countries ----do you think I was being serious?
I was just repeating what I am told time and time again by the modern football fan who can see no further than the over-hyped football which is promoted today. This, along with the two worst things to be forced on us by media pressure ---the transfer window and VAR are the reasons why, after 68 years of travelling to the Turf, I shall not be bothering any more once this season ends.
The game has indeed gone mad at the top level.

I am so sorry that you thought that I was being serious!

boatshed bill
Posts: 5667
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1205 times
Has Liked: 2678 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm

dsr wrote:There were those two "dives" last year against Southampton and Brighton. One of those "dives" "won" him a penalty!!! :twisted:
So that's one then, in how many PL seasons? Hardly prolific is he?

houseboy
Posts: 5567
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 1280 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:As a 72 year old lover of football who has watched, played and refereed in 10 different countries ----do you think I was being serious?
I was just repeating what I am told time and time again by the modern football fan who can see no further than the over-hyped football which is promoted today. This, along with the two worst things to be forced on us by media pressure ---the transfer window and VAR are the reasons why, after 68 years of travelling to the Turf, I shall not be bothering any more once this season ends.
The game has indeed gone mad at the top level.

I am so sorry that you thought that I was being serious!
Sorry my friend, I must admit it didn't seem like one of your usual well thought out pieces. My sense of irony deserted me.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

No Ney Never
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:31 pm
Been Liked: 631 times
Has Liked: 255 times

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:As a 72 year old lover
Go on Ashyclaret. Are you the randy old bugger with a big smile on your face that goes from flat to flat in the sheltered accommodation keeping the all the widows warm? :D
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 dpinsussex

Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1288 times
Has Liked: 1791 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: The game has gone mad

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:36 am

No Ney Never wrote:Go on Ashyclaret. Are you the randy old bugger with a big smile on your face that goes from flat to flat in the sheltered accommodation keeping the all the widows warm? :D
LOL. The smile on the face --definitely, no reason not to, however, if you lived in Ashington you would realise that the last part of your question is a definite no go ----you wouldnever get out alive! :D

Post Reply