Poor following yesterday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Poor following yesterday

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 am

Certainly not having a dig at anyone here, cos I didn't go myself but it looks like we only took about 1200/1300 yesterday as the lower tier was only half full. Which I'd say after a half decent start to the season isn't that great. Is it simply cost? Is going to footy less fun than it used to be? I'm pretty sure we took more away in the 90s when we were crap and scratching around in what's now League 1.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: Poor following yesterday

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 am

Bank holiday a ground that lacks atmosphere for away fans a ground we dont do particularly well at and the time of day it was played at dont help

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:38 am

jrgbfc wrote:Certainly not having a dig at anyone here, cos I didn't go myself but it looks like we only took about 1200/1300 yesterday as the lower tier was only half full. Which I'd say after a half decent start to the season isn't that great. Is it simply cost? Is going to footy less fun than it used to be? I'm pretty sure we took more away in the 90s when we were crap and scratching around in what's now League 1.
Looked about 300/400 to me we didn’t even get that lower tier it seems? Was a small section behind the goal which looked half empty to me.Very poor following we had far bigger followings in the lower leagues very strange.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 am

I was in the lower tier and I doubt if it was a quarter full.

Some complete bell ends sat near me. 1 guy in his 40s spent most of the game abusing an over weight Wolves fan, he was embarrassing. Another when we scored in his 30s ran to the Wolves fans shouting a barage of 4 word expletives. A fella and his teenage daughter sat behind looked at him and thought you trashy piece of ****. Another woman told him to watch his mouth and he replied, why should I its a football match

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 am

Won’t be long though til we have people moaning about taking the lower allocation at some games. 1500 tops would be a normal away following at wolves these days. Some just prefer watching it on tv in these days of football.

ClaretSteve
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ClaretSteve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 am

Good old Burnley fans

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 am

jrgbfc wrote: I'm pretty sure we took more away in the 90s when we were crap and scratching around in what's now League 1.
I know we didn't take more

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Changed date. Middle of a bank holiday. Plus the reasons above.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I know we didn't take more
We certainly didn't. Though for the big games of course we had a great following....York, Scunthorpe etc etc.

Strangely Barnet (on a Tuesday) and Maidstone too. Think maybe they were our first visits there?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:31 pm

turfytopper wrote:We certainly didn't. Though for the big games of course we had a great following....York, Scunthorpe etc etc.

Strangely Barnet (on a Tuesday) and Maidstone too. Think maybe they were our first visits there?
And often there were so few of us that you had time to speak to everyone.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Top Claret wrote:I was in the lower tier and I doubt if it was a quarter full.

Some complete bell ends sat near me. 1 guy in his 40s spent most of the game abusing an over weight Wolves fan, he was embarrassing. Another when we scored in his 30s ran to the Wolves fans shouting a barage of 4 word expletives. A fella and his teenage daughter sat behind looked at him and thought you trashy piece of ****. Another woman told him to watch his mouth and he replied, why should I its a football match
I’m guessing you were sat next to me then as I sat behind the chap abusing the overweight wolves fan .... he did get very excited over it and I found it a bit strange that he’d put the effort in to get to Wolverhampton to then just ignore most of the football and give some obese bloke grief.

Not condoning it but you conveniently forgot to mention the 10 mins of abuse the wolves fan happily dished out along with the neck slicing motions to the 13/14 year old lads sat next to him in the Burnley bit (well hard... or he seemed to think so when getting his little cronies around him patting him on the back).

It’s a rubbish ground for atmosphere to build for away fans and was a mess about with the change of date and it’s a bank holiday. Loads of people are still on holiday/skint from just getting back/saving to still go. It’s a ground a lot of people have already been to so by a new one to tick off (it was my 4th trip yesterday and wouldn’t have gone if my nephew didn’t want to go to tick off a ground).

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:And often there were so few of us that you had time to speak to everyone.
Barnet away on a Tuesday night! Big following which probably exceeded the capacity for the terrace we were in. Just glad to get out alive with the moronic policing by the Met. The fence was torn down to stop a crush, marching a horse through the crowd wasn't the best method of dealing with the situation.

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Are fans enjoying the premeir league.lets be honest Burnley at best will finish bottom half.like Stoke and W.B.A before.how many years before fans just get bored...Stockport next away day against Wrexham.allocation 1050 sold out in a day
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Christ there are some moronic 'fans' on here.....
This user liked this post: Stockbrokerbelt

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Just hope the club aren't tempted into taking reduced allocations for games like Villa and Spurs.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm

A Sunday fixture on a bank holiday weekend during the summer holidays. Also it's not the kind of place you would go for a bank holiday weekend break.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm

And football is no longer a cheap sport to follow away on a regular basis, especially if you're a football family where both adults want to go and the kids too.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:57 pm

I'd think that we had around 1400 there. Top tier was full (around 1200) plus couple 100 in lower. Accy Clarets took 140.
This user liked this post: thomaspaine

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Leisure wrote:I'd think that we had around 1400 there. Top tier was full (around 1200) plus couple 100 in lower. Accy Clarets took 140.
Top tier wasn't even close to being full - loads of empty seats at the corner.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Leisure wrote:I'd think that we had around 1400 there. Top tier was full (around 1200) plus couple 100 in lower. Accy Clarets took 140.
Just been confirmed as 1,235.

It’s a very similar figure to last season if I remember rightly. It must be do to with where our fans are located and work commitments of those regular travelling fans, as we do appear to take poorer followings for those Sunday kick offs?
This user liked this post: Leisure

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 pm

I expect the following reasons would lead to a reduced following;
-school summer holidays
-bank holiday weekend
-Sunday afternoon kick off
-fixture date and time not confirmed until a couple of weeks before the game
-consecutive away games

Not really a head-scratcher.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:19 pm

wembley94 wrote:Are fans enjoying the premeir league.lets be honest Burnley at best will finish bottom half.like Stoke and W.B.A before.how many years before fans just get bored...Stockport next away day against Wrexham.allocation 1050 sold out in a day
I've got fed up with being stuck in the 8th row from the front being surrounded by fans who just sit there in silence.. (I have no problem if that's your cuppa tea) but I miss a good atmosphere and standing at the back etc..
I totally understand those that aren't as abled bodied and need to sit for the whole game but how every time I book a ticket from the club I get seated with them.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:23 pm

The main reasons have already been outlined. A lot of folk won’t have been paid yet either - I know I bloody haven’t. Not 100% but I think our away followings are still decent, on the whole.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Claretforever wrote:Just been confirmed as 1,235.

It’s a very similar figure to last season if I remember rightly. It must be do to with where our fans are located and work commitments of those regular travelling fans, as we do appear to take poorer followings for those Sunday kick offs?
Last season was understandable as it was only a month after lots of our fans had forked out to travel to Aberdeen, Istanbul and Athens. I think our away followings have definitely become a lot more respectable/middle class, call it what you will. That could be to do with money, or it could be the watered down, tame atmosphere at a lot of Premier league grounds isn't that appealing to a lot of our fan base, who knows?
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:23 pm

cockneyclaret wrote:I've got fed up with being stuck in the 8th row from the front being surrounded by fans who just sit there in silence.. (I have no problem if that's your cuppa tea) but I miss a good atmosphere and standing at the back etc..
I totally understand those that aren't as abled bodied and need to sit for the whole game but how every time I book a ticket from the club I get seated with them.
At least I am not one of those you are complaining about ---the advantages of having a postcode miles away from Burnley are great when it comes to getting tickets for matches, however, I agree that the atmosphere is not the same these days at many grounds, there again, the football is nowhere near as exciting with some teams taking 16 plus passes just to get the ball over the halfway line and then deciding to go back and do the same again.

It may be an age thing, however, I feel that the game is becoming too sterile and players are being penalised for good tackles because they may have endangered an opponent, are deemed to be out of control or anything else which FIFA can introduce to rid the game of physical contact. Add to that the fact that you can spend lots of money travelling to watch a game which is no longer decided by the players and officials actaully taking part at the ground but could instead be in the hands of two people who are in a room a long way away ---unless you are playing at Watford which is relatively close ;)

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 pm

cockneyclaret wrote:I've got fed up with being stuck in the 8th row from the front being surrounded by fans who just sit there in silence.. (I have no problem if that's your cuppa tea) but I miss a good atmosphere and standing at the back etc..
There was a lad stood behind me at Arsenal last week who spent the entire game moaning no one was joining in with his songs and that the game ‘had gone’ while taking photos of the ground on his mobile!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm

NL Claret wrote:Barnet away on a Tuesday night! Big following which probably exceeded the capacity for the terrace we were in. Just glad to get out alive with the moronic policing by the Met. The fence was torn down to stop a crush, marching a horse through the crowd wasn't the best method of dealing with the situation.
I was there!
The tightest of tight space to watch the match....and Mr Bean!

Getting out, ended up on a heap of fans, as we all got 'naturally' knocked over, trying to make the turn....as olod on a police horse, as wide as the alley, made his way down.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 pm

I was up on roe S and sat next to Zeus, it was so high.

Plenty up there and seemed pretty packed to me! Sang well.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Now I'm not averse to swearing at a football match, but if I was pulled up about it, I'd be apologetic. It doesn't matter which fans or which team, I hope he reads this.
You're a prat.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:31 pm

IanMcL wrote:I was up on roe S and sat next to Zeus, it was so high.

Plenty up there and seemed pretty packed to me! Sang well.
seems a bit fishy that does
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm

There are a fair share of Neanderthals that travel to away games. They must be on coaches as I doubt many have the intelligence to find their way out of Burnley.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Profiling :o :lol:

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm

I've seen many clubs sell tickets at windows like Rows A-H, J-Q and R-Z so then at least it gives people the initial option.

Obviously then you give the early buyers the choice to least help themselves and others to their preferred seats.

People who like to sing and/stand can choose towards the back, those that dont can choose the front.

Just offering the option will help massively IMO
Last edited by MACCA on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat cockneyclaret

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm

The picture of the following...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190826-172115_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190826-172115_Facebook.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4458 times

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Well move to the back ya daft ****

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Changing the date and time of the game a week and a day before the game was scheduled to be played didn’t help at all. People couldn’t book trains early for example which on a bank holiday weekend booking them a week before were too expansive and it stopped some people I know from going. I was going to train it but had to drive in the end. Plus railway engineering works didn’t help.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Top Claret wrote:Well move to the back ya daft ****
:lol: :lol: :lol: don't sit on the fence m8 :) tell him what you think :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Top Claret

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:seems a bit fishy that does
Fat finger!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Foresight. They must have known what Ben Stokes was going to do and decided to watch that.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Pay on the gate.....Always Boosted the gates sadly it's history now.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Buxtonclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Not the most attractive time, ground and games TBH. I think anyone who went ought to be applauded .
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:07 pm

IanMcL wrote:Fat finger!
Fish finger !
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 pm

MACCA wrote:The picture of the following...
Top tier looks full, bottom tier 1/3 / 1/2 full.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Feeling stupid now. I was in the bottom tier. Sat in block almost on my own, my choice, great view and could sit down most of time. Thing is, I didn’t know we had our fans above us in the upper tier as well!! No wonder I thought it was a poor turnout.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 pm

If having a disappointing following at wolves on the sunday of the last summer bank holiday weekend of the year , is all we've got to whinge about, despite getting a point I'd have took all day long , prior to kick off.Tells me that Mr Sean Dyche must be doing a grand old job.

Crack on Sean!...

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Top tier wasn't even close to being full - loads of empty seats at the corner.
Seems pretty full to me on post 34.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Leisure wrote:Seems pretty full to me on post 34.
Loads of empty seats to the left of where I was sat

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Loads of empty seats to the left of where I was sat
Which is quite evident in the pictures.. :D

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 pm

I was sat in the second back row of the top tier next to the Wolves fans and you couldn't move.

It seemed chock a block.

And the atmosphere was great for those of us singing.

pauliopaulio
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by pauliopaulio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Why does it matter? It has zero effect on the result.

If you enjoy going to away games, keep going. Why gob off at others that don’t want to?