Ex-EFL

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Ex-EFL

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 am

With every sympathy for Bury and their loyal fan base the following is a list of ex-EFL teams who nobody was pulling their hair out about.
A couple that went bust the majority just relegated but still competing and trying to climb the pyramid. There will be a future for Bury but it’s vital that the covenant isn’t rescinded.
Conference.
Halifax
Stockport
Torquay
Barnet
Dag & Redbridge
Notts. C.
Wrexham
Hartlepool
Yeovil
Barrow
Aldershot
Chesterfield

National North
York.C.
Chester
Hereford
Kidderminster
Boston
Southport
Darlington
Gateshead
Bradford PA

National South
Maidstone

Bury should look to the teams who went out and came back succesfully.
Lincoln
Luton
Newport etc.,

My Dad first took me on Bury when they were second tier and apart from when we played them I’ve always wanted them to win. Every best wish for a good future once this mess is sorted.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Ex-EFL

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 am

The scary thing is there are at least 16 clubs there we have played league football against.

Could easily have been us in a parallel universe.

A sad story. But hopefully a warning to all clubs. All owners. All fans and the leagues.

We are blessed with our situation. Lucky in some ways. But in such a good place right now.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am

In my time to add to that list are New Brighton Workington still playing and Scarborough
N Brighton I think have vanished but there is still a Scarborough team of sorts playing in some league
Workington have dropped out of Nat League North and I think Northern Premier league

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:01 am

Don't forget Nelson

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 am

Darlington

EDIT :oops: need to learn to read
Last edited by Chester Perry on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:22 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Bury should look to the teams who went out and came back succesfully.
Lincoln
Luton
Newport etc.,
You missed out the most famous Phoenix club TT.

Accy Stanley, closely followed by Wimbledon.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:25 am

ClaretLoup wrote:You missed out the most famous Phoenix club TT.

you could argue that AFC Fylde are a phoenix club, given that they were started as a result of Blackpool's Oyston woes

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

Chester Perry wrote:you could argue that AFC Fylde are a phoenix club, given that they were started as a result of Blackpool's Oyston woes
They weren't started though - they are the renamed Kirkham & Wesham

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 am

ClaretTony wrote:They weren't started though - they are the renamed Kirkham & Wesham
fully aware but that all came about because of the Oyston situation and refusal to sell - those clubs were not likely to progress otherwise

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

Chester Perry wrote:fully aware but that all came about because of the Oyston situation and refusal to sell - those clubs were not likely to progress otherwise
As were Fleetwood

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:33 am

ClaretLoup wrote:You missed out the most famous Phoenix club TT.

I was about to post the same thing - why was everyone missing the obvious - Accrington Stanley, the club that wouldn't die (as proudly displayed on a large notice at the main stand gate). Just hope it doesn't take Bury as long to climb back but things are a bit easier now than in Stanley's day, there is a proper structure now. Given Stanley's demise if promotion to League Two were still via a vote they would probably never have got back in. I go to Stanley sometimes (just over 5 minutes drive from my house), it's a great day out with real genuine fans who aren't there for the glory or the trophies. I love clubs like that, it makes me feel that despite all the hype and money there are still real people involved in football.

Good luck Bury and all their fans.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am

which some would say leads to an over congested Fylde coast re professional clubs and available crowds - Morecambe - as they have been for some time looking the most precarious currently on the financial front - possibly only Blackpool who can sustain themselves on incomes generated in the medium to long term

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 am

Maybe it’s because they’re my team, but there seemed to be a lot more fuss surrounding the possible loss of founder members Burnley from the Football League than when also founder members Notts County actually did go.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 am

RMutt wrote:Maybe it’s because they’re my team, but there seemed to be a lot more fuss surrounding the possible loss of founder members Burnley from the Football League than when also founder members Notts County actually did go.
I'm guessing (purely speculation) that it is because we'd won the league only 27 years previous.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:48 am

ChrisG wrote:I'm guessing (purely speculation) that it is because we'd won the league only 27 years previous.
Yes, I suppose we have been generally more successful down the years.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 am

i was reading a piece this morning about the Bury situation - it was pointing out the resounding silence that has come from PL clubs with regard to Bury's demise. At the time of reading there hadn't been one PL club comment about it (unfortunately including Burnley). Could this be in any way down to guilt? Not because they didn't help, as has been pointed out why should they, but because PL clubs should be hanging there collective heads in shame at the amount of money that is creamed off at the top, forcing everything up (wages/fees) whilst not caring one jot for the less fortunate in the lower (non PL) leagues. PL clubs are pampered and fawned over by the media (at least some) and the financial rewards are now beyond the dreams of avarice, PL clubs should get less (a lot less) and more given to those lower in the pecking order. One thing that should definitely end completely is the farce of parachute payments, why did these ever exist, no other league has them here or (as far as I know) abroad.

Football clubs are the beating heart of a community and often (like Burnley) people have only ever heard of a place because of it's football team (as far as I know that is the ONLY thing that Burnley is famous for). The greed and grasping that now goes on at the top of football in this country has to stop before we lose more old clubs like Bury (they surely won't be the last). Football is a game for goodness sake, but a game that can put a town on the map, and we must never forget this. Some people would be more than happy to see the Bank of Manchester United or Chelsea Building Society but I for one don't. The day football became 'big business' was the worst day in the sport's history.
This user liked this post: Shore claret

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:59 am

ChrisG wrote:I'm guessing (purely speculation) that it is because we'd won the league only 27 years previous.
Plus this was the first automatic relegation and so no one really knew the consequences and whether a team could bounce back, but since 1987 it has been consistently proven if run the correct way teams can fall into non-league and find a way back.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 pm

It's a long way back.first few years will have two or three easy promotions.but then the fun will stop.some really well run non league clubs.and some clubs that are just millionaire's plaything

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Can’t imagine this happening to Burnley. And there’s plenty of times we’ve run close. Real shame for the fans and the town. The whole football system is flawed. Mismanagement right at the top and it stems down. The difference is the big clubs can afford to live outside of their means. I somehow feel if this was Leeds or similar it wouldn’t have been allowed to happen. Burnley are lucky. We are now run right. Within our means. But still makes it tough that we do it right and are still up against it. Hopefully Bury recover. Could easily have been us. And can easily be Bolton. Blackburn. Blackpool. And more.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Well said cricketfieldclarets

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:17 pm

it will take Bury Stanley and Bolton Stanley a lot of hard to work to get from the bottom back into even the forth tier

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 pm

All this sympathy with bury is overhyped lets not forget that whilst other clubs in league 2 were living within their means bury were paying championship wages in league 2 and got promoted, beckford £7000 a week for ffs. How was that allowed? Why wasn't it questioned? How was this being funded on 3000 gates? Because nobody gave a f**k so long as they got promoted. How have we got in this state, not rocket science and beckford had very little playing time to boot!!!! Rant over!!!!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:41 pm

The only thing I find odd is that it has been pointed out that Bury (the town) is today in mourning. Whilst I can understand this I wonder how many of those in Bury who are upset about it ever actually went to support them? Bury has a population just shy of 183k (well over twice the size of Burnley) and yet even when doing well (Championship days) they struggled to pull in more than 6k. Bury is full of United and City fans, in fact I once was told that there were more United fans in Bury than Bury fans, I wonder how many of the good people of Bury are United fans crying crocodile tears for a team they should have damn well been supporting?

The people of Bury are not without guilt in this matter.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Burypaddy wrote:All this sympathy with bury is overhyped lets not forget that whilst other clubs in league 2 were living within their means bury were paying championship wages in league 2 and got promoted, beckford £7000 a week for ffs. How was that allowed? Why wasn't it questioned? How was this being funded on 3000 gates? Because nobody gave a f**k so long as they got promoted. How have we got in this state, not rocket science and beckford had very little playing time to boot!!!! Rant over!!!!
Exactly what most clarets I talk to are asking. However, why are Bury being punished for the league not insisting on buyers passing the fit and proper test. If the cretin has run down the businessis so he can develop gigg lane, is that not one of the very things the league should have picked up?

It is the EFL that needs kicking out not clubs.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:08 pm

houseboy wrote:The only thing I find odd is that it has been pointed out that Bury (the town) is today in mourning. Whilst I can understand this I wonder how many of those in Bury who are upset about it ever actually went to support them? Bury has a population just shy of 183k (well over twice the size of Burnley) and yet even when doing well (Championship days) they struggled to pull in more than 6k. Bury is full of United and City fans, in fact I once was told that there were more United fans in Bury than Bury fans, I wonder how many of the good people of Bury are United fans crying crocodile tears for a team they should have damn well been supporting?

The people of Bury are not without guilt in this matter.

I've lived in Bury all my life and supported Burnley since my dad took me in 1977. I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:52 pm

NL Claret wrote:I've lived in Bury all my life and supported Burnley since my dad took me in 1977. I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever.
Yeah well that's okay bud because you're a Claret. I was getting at the 'Manchester' fans.

Who shouted hypocrite? I just think we should welcome our fans from far off places that's all.

;) ;) ;)

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:36 pm

houseboy wrote:Yeah well that's okay bud because you're a Claret. I was getting at the 'Manchester' fans.

Who shouted hypocrite? I just think we should welcome our fans from far off places that's all.

;) ;) ;)
Consider yourself let off House Boy :D

I'd guess in Bury the order goes something like this.

Man U
Man C
Bolton
Bury
Burnley

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Chester Perry wrote:which some would say leads to an over congested Fylde coast re professional clubs and available crowds - Morecambe - as they have been for some time looking the most precarious currently on the financial front - possibly only Blackpool who can sustain themselves on incomes generated in the medium to long term
Unless a club has a rich benefactor, they just can’t make money at the lower levels. AFC Fylde pay out in excess of £1.1 million each year in salaries for players, mgmt,coaches, physio, ceo. Incoming revenue from sponsorship, ticket sales and hospitality doesn’t exceed £500k. This doesn’t include electricity, bills, bar staff etc etc. Just to get a team on the pitch costs the chairman at least £600k/year.
I’d be surprised if any team below the Championship broke even.
Do many if any in the Championship make money?

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Chester Perry wrote:you could argue that AFC Fylde are a phoenix club, given that they were started as a result of Blackpool's Oyston woes
Kirkham Town merged with Wesham in 1988 to become Kirkham and Wesham, not sure that is a Pheonix?

They joined the counties as Kirkham and Wesham in about 2007.

Think if you read Simon Hughes book "On the brink" there are interviews with Pilley and Heythornthwaite who invested into their respective clubs after the Oystons turned down offers to buy into Blackpool.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm

still a chance of reprieve for Bury apparently

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:45 pm

NL Claret wrote:Consider yourself let off House Boy :D

I'd guess in Bury the order goes something like this.

Man U
Man C
Bolton
Bury
Burnley
I think it’s a similar story in Rochdale too. I remember years ago I think there were more Burnley fans there than Rochdale fans.

As far as remote support goes I have always been a fan of Inter Milan and Racing Club of Argentina (it stems from my Subuteo days as a kid and they were two of the biggest clubs around at the time) so just call me Mr Hypocrite..one day I’ll catch a home game at both. :D

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 am

houseboy wrote:i was reading a piece this morning about the Bury situation - it was pointing out the resounding silence that has come from PL clubs with regard to Bury's demise. At the time of reading there hadn't been one PL club comment about it (unfortunately including Burnley). Could this be in any way down to guilt? Not because they didn't help, as has been pointed out why should they, but because PL clubs should be hanging there collective heads in shame at the amount of money that is creamed off at the top, forcing everything up (wages/fees) whilst not caring one jot for the less fortunate in the lower (non PL) leagues. PL clubs are pampered and fawned over by the media (at least some) and the financial rewards are now beyond the dreams of avarice, PL clubs should get less (a lot less) and more given to those lower in the pecking order. One thing that should definitely end completely is the farce of parachute payments, why did these ever exist, no other league has them here or (as far as I know) abroad.

Football clubs are the beating heart of a community and often (like Burnley) people have only ever heard of a place because of it's football team (as far as I know that is the ONLY thing that Burnley is famous for). The greed and grasping that now goes on at the top of football in this country has to stop before we lose more old clubs like Bury (they surely won't be the last). Football is a game for goodness sake, but a game that can put a town on the map, and we must never forget this. Some people would be more than happy to see the Bank of Manchester United or Chelsea Building Society but I for one don't. The day football became 'big business' was the worst day in the sport's history.
But this wasn't something that a few quid would have sorted. The club has had it's finances abused by 2 successive owners whose sole interest was in taking money out of the football club and not ensuring the long term viability of the club. Bolton's situation is slightly better in that they have only had 1 owner robbing the club blind.