Only 7,400 on

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 pm

With only 7,400 on and over 1k brought by Sunderland, has the clubs ticketing structure been highlighted by thst attendance?

Suppose many will be glad they didnt bother in the end mind.
Sounded and from what I've seen its been awful

# 2
Murger
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 pm
Been Liked: 416 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Murger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm guessing people thought it would be best saving a few quid, rather than wasting it on the inevitable cup exit.

# 3
dougcollins
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 499 times
Has Liked: 496 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby dougcollins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 pm

A lot more to do with attitude and team selection than ticketing structure I would say.

# 4
whiffa
Posts: 729
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:58 pm
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 1020 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby whiffa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Considering the effort we put into the Cup runs every season, you can't really blame the fans for not showing an interest.

# 5
jrgbfc
Posts: 2845
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 703 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby jrgbfc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Think it's more to do with Dyche's attitude in the Cups. After going to the Burton and Barnsley games last year I decided I wouldn't be going on anymore whilst Dyche is here.
This user liked this post: Wembley09

# 6
Jimmymaccer
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:18 am
Been Liked: 233 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Jimmymaccer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:35 pm

I don’t miss many but even I couldn’t be bothered getting across for the day/ night from the Isle if Man for this one........

# 7
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:36 pm

whiffa wrote:Considering the effort we put into the Cup runs every season, you can't really blame the fans for not showing an interest.


Oh I don't blame them.

You've got to be desperate or extremely bored to attend our cup games.
This user liked this post: whiffa

# 8
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Think it's more to do with Dyche's attitude in the Cups. After going to the Burton and Barnsley games last year I decided I wouldn't be going on anymore whilst Dyche is here.


I had that thought too, and after the silly pricing and ticket structure I I'm glad I didnt get persuaded.

# 9
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8510
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4022 times
Has Liked: 478 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:50 pm

How many exactly were you expecting on?

It's certainly 2,000 higher than I would have predicted.
These 2 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo morpheus2

# 10
jedi_master
Posts: 2280
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Been Liked: 1153 times
Has Liked: 403 times
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby jedi_master » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 pm

I think that's a pretty good gate for this round of the Cup against a League One side, especially with our record in it.

# 11
lesxdp
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 846 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby lesxdp » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Well it is more than Bolton had for their last game

# 12
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:How many exactly were you expecting on?

It's certainly 2,000 higher than I would have predicted.



Didn't expect anything, just asked a question.

Think my guess the gate was 8,800 if you want to use that?

# 13
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8584
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 1081 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Quickenthetempo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:55 pm

I'd of thought 5/6k tops.

Fair play to anyone who went on.

# 14
SGr
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:46 pm
Been Liked: 779 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby SGr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:56 pm

If XI blokes can’t turn up, don’t expect 10k to turn up.

Edit: I was there by the way, before a certain someone tells me I wasn’t.

# 15
Burnley1989
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 am
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Burnley1989 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Joe Harts fault

# 16
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Just shy of 9k on at championship Swansea v Cambridge who I doubt took many

Just a comparison

# 17
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 243 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby theroyaldyche » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Charge 5 quid and double the attendees

# 18
dougcollins
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 499 times
Has Liked: 496 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby dougcollins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:12 pm

And sell twice as much merch.

# 19
IanMcL
Posts: 14488
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2872 times
Has Liked: 3180 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby IanMcL » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 pm

7445 of which only 1093 Sunderland.

# 20
tim_noone
Posts: 11079
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2860 times
Has Liked: 10186 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby tim_noone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 pm

IanMcL wrote:7445 of which only 1093 Sunderland.

Only ?

# 21
tim_noone
Posts: 11079
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2860 times
Has Liked: 10186 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby tim_noone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:44 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Charge 5 quid and double the attendees

:lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: morpheus2

# 22
morpheus2
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1150 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby morpheus2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Charge 5 quid and double the attendees



Wouldn't have worked for me that one, I already knew what the 'team's' attitude to this game would be, so I didn't turn up either.

I have no idea what the pricing was, but what I did know is that even if entry was free, it wouldn't be worth the bus fare.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

# 23
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 16001
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6240 times
Has Liked: 8931 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:53 pm

morpheus2 wrote:Wouldn't have worked for me that one, I already knew what the 'team's' attitude to this game would be, so I didn't turn up either.

I have no idea what the pricing was, but what I did know is that even if entry was free, it wouldn't be worth the bus fare.

Afraid same for me. And I walked past the turf twice today.
This user liked this post: morpheus2

# 24
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 243 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby theroyaldyche » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Afraid same for me. And I walked past the turf twice today.


Would you believe me if i told you i was in the sunderland end?

# 25
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 16001
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6240 times
Has Liked: 8931 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Would you believe me if i told you i was in the sunderland end?

I’m not sure I’d blame you

# 26
IanMcL
Posts: 14488
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2872 times
Has Liked: 3180 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby IanMcL » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:27 am

tim_noone wrote:Only ?

Yes only. They boast a large away support and this was a big match for them. We would have taken many more, had the roles been reversed.

# 27
bfcmik
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 562 times
Location: Solihull Geriatric Centre

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby bfcmik » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:15 am

The pricing policy for the game has to be agreed by both clubs. There have been several £5 ticketing games - and they didn't get double the attendance!

# 28
ashtonlongsider
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby ashtonlongsider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:03 am

I personally think the 'powers that be' who set the prices missed a trick. £10 for adults and £5 for concessions would have helped increase the attendance considerably. The club do so much right but they got this wrong, especially as it's still school holidays and a night match like this could have attracted more kids with parents.
Suppose, on reflection it might have been a blessing as that last hour was totally unacceptable.

# 29
Claretforever
Posts: 1979
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 am
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Claretforever » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 am

bfcmik wrote:The pricing policy for the game has to be agreed by both clubs. There have been several £5 ticketing games - and they didn't get double the attendance!


Is it not more about being honest with the fans and acknowledging we’re treating it as a training game, so charge a fair price?

Our players are never up for these cup games. The only game they were in 7 years was Blackburn, and only then because the fans would have gone mental had we not done.

Our fans are right not to bother with the cups, but I’m actually surprised the crowd was so high considering what we already know.

# 30
bfcjg
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 1787 times
Has Liked: 1820 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby bfcjg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:26 am

With the benefit of hindsight there would have been barely 3000 on after that second half.

# 31
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:48 am

IanMcL wrote:Yes only. They boast a large away support and this was a big match for them. We would have taken many more, had the roles been reversed.


I don't think we would have taken nearly 1.1k up to Sunderland for a mid week league cup game at £20 a pop, when we only took 1.2 to wolves for a premier league game on Sunday.
That's only my opinion.


Fans are fed up of the no shows and disrespect shown to even try and have a go at winning something, It cannot be a coincidence as it happens as often as it does, and when the chairman. manager and other fans all say it's all about the premier league then it's fair enough.

# 32
Falcon
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 789 times
Has Liked: 768 times
Location: Proudsville

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby Falcon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 am

I only went last night because I was offered a free ticket at last minute. Wished I'd stayed at home and watched telly instead.

# 33
depechedingle
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 am
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 91 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby depechedingle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:57 am

Pricing, expected weakened team. Terrible cup form.

# 34
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:03 am

Some recent cup crowds at home

2007/8
Oldham 7317
Pompey 8202

2008/9
(FA CUP)
QPR 3760
West Brom 6635

(LC)
Oldham 5528
Fulham 7119

2011/12
(LC)
Burton 4069
Barnet 4273
MK Dons 4134

2012/13
(LC)
Plymouth 4119

So before we gave cups up and we actually tried to have cup runs less people attended some games than last night. It is weird people get surprised at low crowds. I was expecting about 6000 last night.

# 35
duncandisorderly
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:58 pm
Been Liked: 670 times
Has Liked: 159 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby duncandisorderly » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am

MACCA wrote:I don't think we would have taken nearly 1.1k up to Sunderland for a mid week league cup game at £20 a pop, when we only took 1.2 to wolves for a premier league game on Sunday.
That's only my opinion.


Fans are fed up of the no shows and disrespect shown to even try and have a go at winning something, It cannot be a coincidence as it happens as often as it does, and when the chairman. manager and other fans all say it's all about the premier league then it's fair enough.



I think Ian means that had we been flying high in League One and drawn away at Premier League Sunderland then we'd have taken more than Sunderland brought to us.

# 36
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Some recent cup crowds at home

2007/8
Oldham 7317
Pompey 8202

2008/9
(FA CUP)
QPR 3760
West Brom 6635

(LC)
Oldham 5528
Fulham 7119

2011/12
(LC)
Burton 4069
Barnet 4273
MK Dons 4134

2012/13
(LC)
Plymouth 4119

So before we gave cups up and we actually tried to have cup runs less people attended some games than last night. It is weird people get surprised at low crowds. I was expecting about 6000 last night.


What was the average home gates during those seasons, as I'm sure for quite a few they would have been quite low also.

My computer only shows up to 2012/13, I presume you posed right up to last season, as 6-11 years ago isn't as relevant as the last 6 if wanting a true reflection.

# 37
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 am

duncandisorderly wrote:I think Ian means that had we been flying high in League One and drawn away at Premier League Sunderland then we'd have taken more than Sunderland brought to us.


In that scenario, then possibly we will have.
Although still not 100% sure as we will have been there quite a bit recently and visa versa, so no new "ground tick" etc.

But fair point, I get the point he was making now if he meant that.

# 38
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am

MACCA wrote:What was the average home gates during those seasons, as I'm sure for quite a few they would have been quite low also.

My computer only shows up to 2012/13, I presume you posed right up to last season, as 6-11 years ago isn't as relevant as the last 6 if wanting a true reflection.



No I left off the recent Dyche cup ties as everyone knows he throws them.

If it helps though

2013/14
Preston 10648
Forest 6405

2014/15
Spurs (FA Cup) 9348
Sheff Weds (LC) 4979

2017/18
Leeds 11799

# 39
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5298
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 2328 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 am

MACCA wrote:In that scenario, then possibly we will have.
Although still not 100% sure as we will have been there quite a bit recently and visa versa, so no new "ground tick" etc.

But fair point, I get the point he was making now if he meant that.

It was quite clear what he said.
"If the roles were reversed".

# 40
thelaughingclaret
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:23 pm
Been Liked: 154 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby thelaughingclaret » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am

I attended last night because I had nothing better to do but I don’t think I’ll be attending the fa Cup 3rd round if we are at home even if it’s free. Not worth traveling even 10 miles from where I live to the turf even if I’ve nothing better to do to watch that shower.

# 41
groove
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby groove » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:51 am

It's only natural that supporters treat cup games with the same contempt as the club.

# 42
NottsClaret
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am
Been Liked: 1519 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby NottsClaret » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am

Surprised that many turned up really, it's essentially a reserve game we don't want to win.

Just open the Bob Lord, play it on a Thursday afternoon.. or maybe do it at Gawthorpe next time.

# 43
claret wizard
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:20 am
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby claret wizard » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Results like this are the consequence of our success. The sports science, the leadership models, the level of our league performances and the big game live to Billions in 3 days time. We already relegate this competition to a training game, I was at Burton last year and saw it first hand in the 2nd half (notice a pattern?). If as a club we’ve not been 98% looking at Liverpool and 2% Sunderland since Wolves I’d be surprised. If Vydra had scored a hat trick he wouldn't be starting Sat evening. The tactics, systems will all have been decided. There was no upside from beating Sunderland. The consequence is that we will not have been 100% on the physical or mental side of the game. Not deliberately, but you just won’t be.

I’m surprised we had 7,000 on, good effort really, but with our history in this comp and Sat looming no one can be surprised by the result.

# 44
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:43 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:It was quite clear what he said.


I thought he meant us going there in current times.

And even after understand he meant fully roles reversed, I still dont think we would have taken 1.1k up there

# 45
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:No I left off the recent Dyche cup ties as everyone knows he throws them.

If it helps though

2013/14
Preston 10648
Forest 6405

2014/15
Spurs (FA Cup) 9348
Sheff Weds (LC) 4979

2017/18
Leeds 11799


Thanks

# 46
tim_noone
Posts: 11079
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2860 times
Has Liked: 10186 times

Re: Only 7,400 on

Postby tim_noone » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:37 am

IanMcL wrote:Yes only. They boast a large away support and this was a big match for them. We would have taken many more, had the roles been reversed.

:lol: :lol:


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bfcjg, Cajun, CleggHall, CoolClaret, EK Claret, Elizabeth, Google [Bot], Jakubclaret, Jel, Lancasterclaret, Longtimeclaret, Lowbankclaret, MSN [Bot], Rodleydave, slw, summitclaret and 180 guests