How long will we accept this?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Re: How long will we accept this?

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 am

I spoke to 2 other fans on the way out of the Turf on Wednesday and they both said they wouldn't be coming on the next cup match if that was the the way our approach to cup matches is going to be.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:26 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:That XI should have been good enough to beat a League One team
This is pretty much what Dyche said, he didn't seem very happy at all with the players he put out.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:49 am

I dont think making wholesale changes is an issue (all clubs do it) and I dont think the attendances in these early rounds would change that much cos truth is for most there not that interesting or important for a majority of fans.

What seems to be evident is our approach to cup games under Dyche lacks some level of preparation, desire and intensity and at the top levels of football its not about if you try or dont try its about whether you are at your limit or a few % below.

My guess would be that Dyche puts so much time, prep and effort into every league game and pushes his group (and himself) so hard mentally that he just doesnt seem to be able to spend the time to get him and his players up for these early cup games which too him seem like glorified friendly's with a chance to give a run out to the squad

Sunderland scored two goals from short corners where they worked it to the edge of the box and I would bet this is something they use a lot. We were slow and very reactive to it a couple of times which cost us but had this been a league game Dyche and his management team would have been all over this and would have drilled it in to the players minds and planned how to set up and defend.

I think Dyche is a top manager with a good group of players and he should be able to do better in preparing his teams for these cup games and having them more on it without sacrificing the work he does in the league. I said above that people aren't that bothered about these early rounds but once you win a couple there is nothing like a cup run that really gets fans excited and can build real momentum in the stands that can feed on to the pitch.

We wont be in the Prem forever with such a good squad so I think it is criminal not to take this opportunity when we are one of the best teams in the land and have a good and realistic chance of reaching a semi final, a final and maybe winning it
These 2 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe tiger76

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:30 am

Dyche picked a team on Wednesday that I fully expected to win. They all needed a competitive game but probably fell short. But respect is due to the opposition. Congratulations Sunderland. We have had our own cup triumphs as the underdog that will live long in the memory...Derby away...Chelsea away to name but two. They were fantastic. That’s why football is so great.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

We have to accept that now that we are giants we're going to be killed.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:58 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:That XI should have been good enough to beat a League One team
They would if they were a team and had played 4 or 5 competitive matches together first, but they were 11 decent players that have probably not played one competitive match together.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:17 pm

There are two competitions that, even at the outskirts of believability, we might win.

Getting out of them as quickly as possible to concentrate on the one we can't win is bizarre.

Whether that says something about Burnley or football in general could be debated for ever. But that something's gone wrong is surely not in dispute.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tiger76

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 pm

turfytopper wrote:Dyche picked a team on Wednesday that I fully expected to win. They all needed a competitive game but probably fell short. But respect is due to the opposition. Congratulations Sunderland. We have had our own cup triumphs as the underdog that will live long in the memory...Derby away...Chelsea away to name but two. They were fantastic. That’s why football is so great.
Yes, but they were all with different managers who had an incentive to win and progress.
I remember the directors saying that nothing was put into the budgets for cup games so anything received was extra money into the transfer pot.
SD has no incentive whatsoever for playing in the cup.
Perhaps if half his salary was held back & paid in installments as we progress in each round he may take the cups a bit more serious.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Nonayforever wrote:Perhaps if half his salary was held back & paid in installments as we progress in each round he may take the cups a bit more serious.
We'd be lucky to have Phil Brown as a manager if we behaved like that.
These 3 users liked this post: Nonayforever GodIsADeeJay81 turfytopper

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Spiral wrote:We'd be lucky to have Phil Brown as a manager if we behaved like that.
Well, instead of holding back his salary, how about a forfeit if he loses. Say, for example, Tarks has to be sold for £15m in Jan if they don't win.
That would make him buck up a bit.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Jesus.... Nurse
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Fantastic business model, near infallible. I don't know what you're on about, claretonthecoast1882. Get pumped by City, sell our best player. Get pumped by Liverpool, sell our second best player, and so on and so forth. We'd never lose a game.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Spiral wrote:Fantastic business model, near infallible. I don't know what you're on about, claretonthecoast1882. Get pumped by City, sell our best player. Get pumped by Liverpool, sell our second best player, and so on and so forth. We'd never lose a game.

Now you have explained his plan better I get it :D :D

Lose this game and we are going to sell you to someone who will pay you more.. been a while since we played at Rochdale so bring it on

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm

If SD doesn’t care and the fans don’t, what the problem? If the Turf was full for every cup tie, he might reconsider his ambivalence to the cups.

Nonayforever

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm

There was 7,000 fans on Wednesday.
To say the fans don't care really is an insult to the fan's that do care and pay their hard earned money to watch the reserve team.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:01 pm

Nonayforever wrote:Yes, but they were all with different managers who had an incentive to win and progress.
I remember the directors saying that nothing was put into the budgets for cup games so anything received was extra money into the transfer pot.
SD has no incentive whatsoever for playing in the cup.
Perhaps if half his salary was held back & paid in installments as we progress in each round he may take the cups a bit more serious.
So it's all about money :roll: what about trying to win silverware for a change,i disagree SD has no incentive to have a cup run,if in addition to maintaining our PL status Sean could have a cup final on his CV or even a trophy in the cabinet his stock would rise.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 316 times
Has Liked: 1106 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:43 pm

I thought it was a very poor performance. The 11 who started should have been capable of much better. Doesn’t give much cause for optimism in terms of a challenge for places to the regular “first team”.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm

'How long will we accept this?'

As long as you are a Burnley supporter.