ARTICLE: The first five minutes of that second half was unacceptable

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: The first five minutes of that second half was unacceptable

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Jack Ross & Sean Dyche on tonight's game

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/the-first-f ... acceptable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Re: ARTICLE: The first five minutes of that second half was unacceptable

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:12 am

Sounds like SD feels as let down and dissapointed as we do. I had expectation that the team put out tonight would reinforce my belief that we have the strongest squad, with some depth, that we've had for a long time. Players that could step in to the first 11 at premier league level where required without affecting continuity. I don't know what to think now, it's as though everything that I once believed in has turned out to be a lie.
The club won't be bothered from a financial point of view, £150k would barely cover the costs of staging the tie. So has SD said to them; listen lads, I see you in training everyday and know how good you are, don't go over the top and put yourself at risk, treat it like a pre season, build up a bit of match fitness, result not important, just go out and stretch your legs a little.
OR, is he going home in the same state of shock as the rest of us?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 am

What surprises me is that the players must know that (barring injury) this will be, for most of them, the last game they play until FA Cup third round day. So why not bust a few more guts to try and win it? Get another game in next month?

I suspect any one of those players could come into the first XI and not make much difference. It's changing he whole job lot that does it. If they'd left Mee in the side, the defence couldn't have looked as bad as it did.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 am

Sean needs to sit down and talk through the game with his coaching staff then talk to the individuals who let themselves , him and the fans down with this gutless rollover last night

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am

That’s as openly critical of his players as I’ve ever heard from Dyche, and though it’s refreshing to hear in some respects, he also needs to look at himself.

It’s all very well looking at the fees and reputations attached to many of those players and saying “they should’ve done better,” but is it really fair to expect and entirely different team, most of whom haven’t seen any competitive football for at least 6 months, to turn up and instantly deliver a performance?

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 am

scouseclaret wrote:That’s as openly critical of his players as I’ve ever heard from Dyche, and though it’s refreshing to hear in some respects, he also needs to look at himself.

It’s all very well looking at the fees and reputations attached to many of those players and saying “they should’ve done better,” but is it really fair to expect and entirely different team, most of whom haven’t seen any competitive football for at least 6 months, to turn up and instantly deliver a performance?
The thing is, they did deliver a performance for 35 mins. We were excellent but as soon as a bit of adversity came there way be the unlucky bounce on the equaliser or the two right at the start of the second half they shrank and resorted to hoofing it forward, lacking quality etc..

That is my concern (the start of the second half), the way we came out, almost expecting to play like we did first half and it would all be ok. Sunderland wanted it more and that is a motivational and mental problem for both players and coaches tonight.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:51 am

Based on last night we’re looking a relying on the same 11-12 players as last season and the one before to carry us through the season.

This is my problem with our last three transfer windows. We’ve been unable to improve on what we have.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 am

Don't blame Dyche for the starting line up. We were playing well and should have put the game to bed. What frustrates me about Dyche is his inability to effectively change things when things go wrong. His team's never seem to know how to break teams down when we go behind. He needs to take a look at himself in that regard as it happens too often. Went last night as I did to all the other cup debacles. Probably won't go to another. Can't just blame the players Dyche has to take his share of responsibility. Playing hoofball to Vydra and J Rod in the second half against a second string from league one opposition was a disgrace.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 am

KlyBfc wrote:The thing is, they did deliver a performance for 35 mins. We were excellent but as soon as a bit of adversity came there way be the unlucky bounce on the equaliser or the two right at the start of the second half they shrank and resorted to hoofing it forward, lacking quality etc..

That is my concern (the start of the second half), the way we came out, almost expecting to play like we did first half and it would all be ok. Sunderland wanted it more and that is a motivational and mental problem for both players and coaches tonight.
The first goal was unlucky with Drinkwaters interception falling to Grigg, but the second 2 were just shocking.
Both were following a corner, where Sunderland had 2 players unmarked on the edge of the area, with no Burnley player anywhere near enough to close them down.
It was a tactic they tried early in the first half as well, which we got away with.

It looked like we were going with "zonal" marking which I don't recall us ever doing that before

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:41 am

Don't think I've ever heard Sean deliver such a damning verdict, usually he is quite defective, but this is nice to hear, as he is clearly as disappointed and upset as the fans by the performance.
Hopefully it is a rocket up the arse of some of these squad players picking up a wage for doing next to nothing each week.

Think it's also nice he mentioned those starting each week are doing so because the bench players either don't grasp the chance or are not good enough for the pressures of the premier league.

Players not in the team seem to get better the longer they are out of it, last night showed why they are not in the team.

Also a note on Vydra for next time he wishes to tell the press back home he doesn't get chances to play, other strikers went through a poor form and didn't get dropped and he will score goals if given longer than 10 minutes, maybe he will remember last nights game against a league 1 sides fringe players before speaking.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am

Nothing much defective about our Sean, I'd argue, but the rest of your post is pretty much bang on.