Wolves

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Re: Wolves

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:44 pm

houseboy wrote:Ha ha - cheers bud. I'm just old fashioned I suppose. I still believe in playing your (pretty much) strongest side in every competitive game. Players are fitter than ever these days and the season (in the PL) is shorter than the old first division used to be so why are managers so damned afraid of playing first elevens? I know I bang on about it so much (ad nauseum I suppose) but if with the fitness regimes and dietary advice they get these days it isn't possible to play about 3 hours of football a week why are they getting paid 50/100/150k per week? And for doing something they (at least should) enjoy.
We are from an era of football which was totally different from the modern era.
I regualrly speak to John Angus and he talks of the days when he worked at Hapton Colliery abd would often knock off at lunchtime on a Tuesday because he was playing for the Clarets that night. He also relates the fact that,if he had had not had a good game, he would get told so by the lads at work!!
The mind boggles to think of those days and compare the modern game and the fact that players moan about the fact that they sometimes have to play twice in one week! Remember Christmas and Easter fixtures in the past!

Comparison with Wolves is awkward because, since Fosun became owners, they have spent £243 Million which is roughly twice as much as we have.
This user liked this post: houseboy

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 pm

The comparison with Wolves is also quite valid: IIRC, we are the only 2 reams that have been the Champions of all 4 of the old divisions and the Championship. Leicester, so far, are the only team to have won the Championship and the Premiership so that’s next!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:54 pm

BennyD wrote:we are the only 2 reams that have been the Champions of all 4 of the old divisions and the Championship.
Preston have as well, and I think Portsmouth too.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:19 pm

And Sheffield Utd

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Ok, well apart from Preston, Portsmouth and Sheffield Utd! :D :D :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Really pleased you have posted that because most Burnley fans would generally disagree with you totally and this gives us another chance to do that. What nonsense that post is.
He’s not far wrong in fairness.

That Istanbul game away was the biggest let down of any game I’ve ever been to. We didn’t even have one shot. Never mind on target.

In the home leg we had one shot.

Olympiakos away we had one shot and put out a half team in our biggest game in years.

And Aberdeen took us to penalties over two legs. Aberdeen.

The only game we played well was olympiakos and we lost.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:10 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:He’s not far wrong in fairness.

That Istanbul game away was the biggest let down of any game I’ve ever been to. We didn’t even have one shot. Never mind on target.

In the home leg we had one shot.

Olympiakos away we had one shot and put out a half team in our biggest game in years.

And Aberdeen took us to penalties over two legs. Aberdeen.

The only game we played well was olympiakos and we lost.
Maybe if we'd played badly/ half-heartedly we'd have won! :lol:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Leisure wrote:Maybe if we'd played badly/ half-heartedly we'd have won! :lol:
I did think that.

But no it was the time we were chasing a game after realising we had blown it away. And went for it. The previous five games we were dreadful.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Wolves in a group with Besiktas, Braga and Bratislava. Good chance of progressing and some great away trips there. What might have been eh?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:46 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Wolves in a group with Besiktas, Braga and Bratislava. Good chance of progressing and some great away trips there. What might have been eh?
Means Wolves will have the pleasure of coming up against Burnley legend Georges-Kevin Nkoudou in the Besiktas tie.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Three great away days in three brilliant countries.

Beşiktaş stadium, for a new one is fantastic.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:23 am

ClaretTony wrote:Really pleased you have posted that because most Burnley fans would generally disagree with you totally and this gives us another chance to do that. What nonsense that post is.
Go on then humour me, which European performances were good? Apart from the home tie with Olympiacos when we released the handbrake and got after them. We went to ET with Aberdeen, Wolves would’ve blown that shower into oblivion 5-0. Did we create a goal scoring chance in Greece? Just parked the bus from the start.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:38 am

Wow wolves are a better side than us and so should they be with the money they have spent whilst in the Championship and last season, there is no comparison why do people try?

For what it is worth I thought we played quite well in the home leg against Aberdeen I appreciate we went to extra time but there keepers made at least 3 stunning saves and we missed numerous chances.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 pm

KRBFC wrote:Go on then humour me, which European performances were good? Apart from the home tie with Olympiacos when we released the handbrake and got after them. We went to ET with Aberdeen, Wolves would’ve blown that shower into oblivion 5-0. Did we create a goal scoring chance in Greece? Just parked the bus from the start.
There's no chance Wolves would've blown Aberdeen into oblivion at 5-0 :lol:
You're just making **** up now because you're having a whinge.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

KRBFC wrote:Go on then humour me, which European performances were good? Apart from the home tie with Olympiacos when we released the handbrake and got after them. We went to ET with Aberdeen, Wolves would’ve blown that shower into oblivion 5-0. Did we create a goal scoring chance in Greece? Just parked the bus from the start.
You can’t make up imaginary fixtures and results support the point you’re trying to make.

We’d have beat France 3-0. Wooooo Burnley are World Champions.

Stupid init.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Greenmile

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:32 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:We are from an era of football which was totally different from the modern era.
I regualrly speak to John Angus and he talks of the days when he worked at Hapton Colliery abd would often knock off at lunchtime on a Tuesday because he was playing for the Clarets that night. He also relates the fact that,if he had had not had a good game, he would get told so by the lads at work!!
The mind boggles to think of those days and compare the modern game and the fact that players moan about the fact that they sometimes have to play twice in one week! Remember Christmas and Easter fixtures in the past!

Comparison with Wolves is awkward because, since Fosun became owners, they have spent £243 Million which is roughly twice as much as we have.
Those were the days eh? As you say the game has changed out of all recognition (and maybe not for the better). It's faster, yes, and the pitches are so much better than the middens we used to see but the cheating and diving and the lack of grit (how would Billy Bremner or Jack Charlton or even Colin Blant even stay on a pitch these days) have turned it into something of a circus for me, especially with all the hype. If I didn't love the game so much I would have stopped watching years ago but it gets into your blood.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Quicknick