Why do people do the following?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
MACCA
Posts: 10428
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2567 times

Why do people do the following?

Postby MACCA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:51 am

Just reading though a few topics this morning and several lately, and I get a confused with the names people use for other teams, obviously b4stards is a well known nickname but of late I've seen these names for them lot and other teams too, can anyone shed any light. ( obviously I know what teams they mean, but wouldn't it be just as easy to write the real name? )

Wet Spam
Wovers
Blunderland
Chelski
Weeds

Now I get there's nicknames for rivals or teams that are self explanatory like donkey lashers, pie eaters etc, however the ones listed above just seem odd, neither insulting or funny, just a bit weird and childish ( although that could just be me )
So, is it just some kids being immature or is there a different reason?
This user liked this post: Siddo

# 2
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:54 am

MACCA wrote:Just reading though a few topics this morning and several lately, and I get a confused with the names people use for other teams, obviously b4stards is a well known nickname but of late I've seen these names for them lot and other teams too, can anyone shed any light

Wet Spam
Wovers
Blunderland
Chelski
Weeds

Now I get there's nicknames for rivals or teams that are self explanatory like donkey lashers, pie eaters etc, however the ones listed above just seem odd, neither insulting or funny, just a bit weird and childish ( although that could just be me )
So, is it just some kids being immature or is there a different reason?


You missed off Citeh & Man Ure ( 2 highly funny ones :roll: )

It is to be cool online

# 3
AlargeClaret
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 448 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby AlargeClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:03 am

Tbf “ citeh” have been refereed to as such by their own fans for many a blue? Moon . It’s neither derogatory or funny it’s just mildest of plays on the manc pronunciation .I’ll grant you the rest on that list should cease for anyone over 13yrs old imo
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 evensteadiereddie

# 4
houseboy
Posts: 3655
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1084 times
Has Liked: 890 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby houseboy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 am

You forgot my favourite - The Cheating Gooners.

# 5
wilks_bfc
Posts: 4983
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1493 times
Has Liked: 768 times
Contact:

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby wilks_bfc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:13 am

MACCA wrote:Just reading though a few topics this morning and several lately, and I get a confused with the names people use for other teams, obviously b4stards is a well known nickname but of late I've seen these names for them lot and other teams too, can anyone shed any light. ( obviously I know what teams they mean, but wouldn't it be just as easy to write the real name? )

Wet Spam
Wovers
Blunderland
Chelski
Weeds

Now I get there's nicknames for rivals or teams that are self explanatory like donkey lashers, pie eaters etc, however the ones listed above just seem odd, neither insulting or funny, just a bit weird and childish ( although that could just be me )
So, is it just some kids being immature or is there a different reason?



Chelski came about after Abramovich bought the club with his Russian money
Last edited by wilks_bfc on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 6
Burnley1989
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 am
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Burnley1989 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:39 am

And Noblot

# 7
Sproggy
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:41 pm
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Sproggy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 am

Notts. Forrest..?
These 4 users liked this post: dsr ClaretTony Buxtonclaret morpheus2

# 8
spadesclaret
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:57 pm
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 2298 times
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby spadesclaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 am

I thought Chelski quite clever - made to sound Russian because of their Russian owner, Abramovich.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

# 9
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4341
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2934 times
Has Liked: 2021 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am

AC Milano.

# 10
dsr
Posts: 8488
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2570 times
Has Liked: 1098 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:41 am

Lord Beamish wrote:AC Milano.

The one I can't understand is Bayern Munich. Why not Bavarian Munich, or even Bavarian Munchen?

As for Milano, perhaps that's what their rivals call them to wind them up. Wonder if it works?

# 11
box_of_frogs
Posts: 2812
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 641 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby box_of_frogs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 am

Internet Police alert. If I don’t like it then it must be wrong.

I care neither way whether someone writes Wet Spam or West Ham. It’s the internet, you don’t need to be outraged all the time.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

# 12
The Enclosure
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
Been Liked: 591 times
Has Liked: 2073 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby The Enclosure » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am

box_of_frogs wrote:Internet Police alert. If I don’t like it then it must be wrong.

I care neither way whether someone writes Wet Spam or West Ham. It’s the internet, you don’t need to be outraged all the time.


The only police allowed on here are the spelling police.....because that is educational ..ok?

# 13
Corky
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 270 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Corky » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:04 am

MACCA wrote:Just reading though a few topics this morning and several lately, and I get a confused with the names people use for other teams, obviously b4stards is a well known nickname but of late I've seen these names for them lot and other teams too, can anyone shed any light. ( obviously I know what teams they mean, but wouldn't it be just as easy to write the real name? )

Wet Spam
Wovers
Blunderland
Chelski
Weeds

Now I get there's nicknames for rivals or teams that are self explanatory like donkey lashers, pie eaters etc, however the ones listed above just seem odd, neither insulting or funny, just a bit weird and childish ( although that could just be me )
So, is it just some kids being immature or is there a different reason?


No, just immature.

# 14
Stalbansclaret
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:21 am
Been Liked: 760 times
Has Liked: 976 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Stalbansclaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:44 pm

You also missed Spuds. Your point is valid though.

# 15
ZizkovClaret
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 pm
Been Liked: 1355 times
Has Liked: 1801 times
Location: Praha
Contact:

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby ZizkovClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Same reason we say Colin W****r

# 16
Falcon
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 789 times
Has Liked: 768 times
Location: Proudsville

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Falcon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Nobbers
Naarrch
Liverpoo

# 17
Bosscat
Posts: 5424
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1615 times
Has Liked: 4391 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Bosscat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 pm

MACCA wrote:Just reading though a few topics this morning and several lately, and I get a confused with the names people use for other teams, obviously b4stards is a well known nickname but of late I've seen these names for them lot and other teams too, can anyone shed any light. ( obviously I know what teams they mean, but wouldn't it be just as easy to write the real name? )

Wet Spam
Wovers
Blunderland
Chelski
Weeds

Now I get there's nicknames for rivals or teams that are self explanatory like donkey lashers, pie eaters etc, however the ones listed above just seem odd, neither insulting or funny, just a bit weird and childish ( although that could just be me )
So, is it just some kids being immature or is there a different reason?

What makes it funnier is people being offended by it...

Arsenil
Chelski
Manure
Woe-vers
Knobenders
Citeh
Narrrch
DirtyLeeds
Uddersfelt
Crotchdale

Get over it m8 its fun ffs

# 18
dsr
Posts: 8488
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2570 times
Has Liked: 1098 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:52 pm

Even Sky Sports get involved with a "witty" nickname for our own club. They call us "Barnsley" :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: Spijed morpheus2

# 19
MACCA
Posts: 10428
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2567 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby MACCA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:50 am

I'm not outraged" or "offended" just curious.

As shown above theres loads, and they're used quite a lot.
Think the question has been answered though, think I'm just a boring man who doesn't find it as funny as the rest :(

# 20
Dyched
Posts: 3947
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Dyched » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 am

MACCA wrote:I'm not outraged" or "offended" just curious.

As shown above theres loads, and they're used quite a lot.
Think the question has been answered though, think I'm just a boring man who doesn't find it as funny as the rest :(


Don’t worry. Nobody under the age of 70 finds it funny either
These 2 users liked this post: groove Siddo

# 21
fatboy47
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am
Been Liked: 945 times
Has Liked: 811 times
Location: Isles of Scilly

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby fatboy47 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:06 am

I tend to refer to Blackburn Rovers as "" the sh1tty-arsed tribe of horse-knobbing fat turds"".

Is that acceptable ?

Or childish ?

# 22
DCWat
Posts: 4226
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am
Been Liked: 1681 times
Has Liked: 1424 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby DCWat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 am

Blunderland is pretty explanatory, as with Chelski and Citeh. Ones like Wet Spam seem a tad daft.

# 23
chekhov
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:54 am
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 697 times
Location: France

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby chekhov » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Re. match day threads:
e.g. “Scousepool”
Embarrassing.

# 24
tim_noone
Posts: 11087
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2862 times
Has Liked: 10189 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby tim_noone » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:02 pm

MACCA wrote:I'm not outraged" or "offended" just curious.

As shown above theres loads, and they're used quite a lot.
Think the question has been answered though, think I'm just a boring man who doesn't find it as funny as the rest :(

Your ageing fast!

# 25
MACCA
Posts: 10428
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2567 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby MACCA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:38 pm

tim_noone wrote:Your ageing fast!


*You're

But you are correct

# 26
timshorts
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby timshorts » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:52 am

dsr wrote:The one I can't understand is Bayern Munich. Why not Bavarian Munich, or even Bavarian Munchen?

As for Milano, perhaps that's what their rivals call them to wind them up. Wonder if it works?


They are all wrong. Bayern is German for bavaria. Hence bayern munchen the team.

I suppose it's an old imperialist attitude of giving somewhere an English sounding name, but it's shared elsewhere. Obviously the Romans gave British towns new roman names etc.

It's why lots of places in Wales need bi lingual signposts. But then some places in England have names that are different in Welsh.

Some have 3 names. Liege is luik or luttich. Some bear no resemblance like lutetia and rijsel.

Anyway, I draw the line with whatever the proper name for red star Belgrade is.

# 27
morpheus2
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1150 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby morpheus2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 am

MACCA wrote:*You're

But you are correct


Your fast ageing, it's called Progeria.

# 28
MACCA
Posts: 10428
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2567 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby MACCA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:29 pm

morpheus2 wrote:Your fast ageing, it's called Progeria.


*You're ;)

Need to start moaning more though, losing my touch the older I get

# 29
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4748
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1427 times
Has Liked: 4333 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:35 pm

MACCA wrote:*You're ;)

Need to start moaning more though, losing my touch the older I get


:lol:

# 30
morpheus2
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1150 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby morpheus2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:33 pm

MACCA wrote:*You're ;)

Need to start moaning more though, losing my touch the older I get


No, your fast ageing has a name, it's called Progeria. :ugeek:

# 31
Paul Waine
Posts: 5010
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby Paul Waine » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:45 pm

morpheus2 wrote:Your fast ageing, it's called Progeria.


Don't Progeria play in a senior league? ;) ;)

# 32
pauliopaulio
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:02 pm
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby pauliopaulio » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Pretty sure Wovers was to do with Woy Hodgson

# 33
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 243 times

Re: Why do people do the following?

Postby theroyaldyche » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Horse shaggers


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndypR6, atlantalad, Burnley Ace, Caballo, Greenmile, longsidepies, MACCA, MSN [Bot], Oo_George, Sproggy, Targetman and 210 guests