What A Difference In 6 Days

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

What A Difference In 6 Days

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Having gone to Wolves fearful of a side that had surprised everyone in the PL last season, and a side that is incredibly quick on the counter-attack. I went into todays game somewhat optimistic-at least that we would play well

From dominating a game and never looking troubled 6 days ago, we were a shadow of that today. Luckily Liverpool did not step up a gear. I think they came to us apprehensive, but they stifled us easily. Don't think their back 4 will have an easier away game Sadly we get badly exposed when teams like them come up against us and a number of our players looked poor. Think only Tarks and McNeil can come out of today with any credit. We struggle to keep possession, we lack calmness in defence- on numerous occasions just hoofing it out of our penalty area, and very few of our players when breaking can play a killer pass.

The positive from today for me it has stopped me getting carried away

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Re: What A Difference In 6 Days

Post by BennyD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:31 pm

I dont completely agree; a lucky first goal allowed them to play as they wanted, and you cant afford to do that against a team like Liverpool.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 pm

BennyD wrote:I dont completely agree; a lucky first goal allowed them to play as they wanted, and you cant afford to do that against a team like Liverpool.
That's probably it. Had we gone in 0-0 at half time they would have been far more apprehensive in the second half and we would have been a little more fired up, probably winning more 50-50's
We played well against them both times last season,
These 2 users liked this post: BennyD JohnDearyMe

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 pm

It was a very fortunate goal but our full backs, midfiekld and two strikers were made to look very ordinary. WE tested their keeper once

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 pm

warksclaret wrote:It was a very fortunate goal but our full backs, midfiekld and two strikers were made to look very ordinary. WE tested their keeper once
Hardly a surprise really.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 pm

BennyD wrote:I dont completely agree; a lucky first goal allowed them to play as they wanted, and you cant afford to do that against a team like Liverpool.
Not to mention setting them up for their second goal.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Ben Mee is immense however, that was a tad careless.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 pm

warksclaret wrote:It was a very fortunate goal but our full backs, midfiekld and two strikers were made to look very ordinary. WE tested their keeper once
Compared to their talent, we are very ordinary. I've got a fast BM but compared to a Ferrari, it's very ordinary. I cant, yet, afford a Ferrari so I live with it. Best you do too.
These 3 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret tiger76 Leisure

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm

Obviously the two quick goals completely deflated us. Had we held on, even to 1-0 at half time we may have seen a performance similar to the one in both games against them last season.

I suspect we'll see a good reaction against Brighton!

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:55 pm

Personally I've got no worries against Brighton. We wont be up against Mane, Salah and Firminho so what they've got isn't really that mega.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the better team, and learn from it.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank tim_noone Wile E Coyote

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:Having gone to Wolves fearful of a side that had surprised everyone in the PL last season, and a side that is incredibly quick on the counter-attack. I went into todays game somewhat optimistic-at least that we would play well

From dominating a game and never looking troubled 6 days ago, we were a shadow of that today. Luckily Liverpool did not step up a gear. I think they came to us apprehensive, but they stifled us easily. Don't think their back 4 will have an easier away game Sadly we get badly exposed when teams like them come up against us and a number of our players looked poor. Think only Tarks and McNeil can come out of today with any credit. We struggle to keep possession, we lack calmness in defence- on numerous occasions just hoofing it out of our penalty area, and very few of our players when breaking can play a killer pass.

The positive from today for me it has stopped me getting carried away
Yes, after the Wolves game I was expecting us to play them off the park!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 pm

I can’t believe we didn’t dominate the beat team in Europe.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure FactualFrank tiger76

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:41 pm

Is it ok to accept a poor performance because we're not expected to win?

I don't think so.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 pm

dougcollins wrote:Is it ok to accept a poor performance because we're not expected to win?

I don't think so.
Would you say it was a poor performance? Certainly it's true that, while we pretty much matched Liverpool for the first half hour, after their lucky goal we were second best. But is that a surprise? I suppose that depends on whether or not you believe spending hundreds of millions of pounds makes you likely to be better. I reckon it does.

So Chris Wood is not as good as Salah. What do we do about it, as fans? Do we boo Wood? Do we boo Dyche for selecting him? Do we boo the Board of Directors for not providing the funds to sign Salah? Or do we accept that money talks, we did our best, and on the day our best wasn't good enough? And you could say the same about the team right down the line. We haven't spent enough money to expect to beat Liverpool, and there is absolutely nothing that the fans, the management, or the Board can do about that.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace nil_desperandum

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 pm

dougcollins wrote:Is it ok to accept a poor performance because we're not expected to win?

I don't think so.
It's ok to acknowledge a below par performance due to how the opposing players played against us, most definitely.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:40 pm

One win in 9 games

Need to turn it around at Brighton.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, we were playing a top side.
Yes, they have better players.
But there are still many things we have done better and could have done better today. So yes, I think it's ok to criticise a below par performance.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Relegation material now.

Dyche hasn't learned. Team is too old, boring and stiff. Nothing changes. We were ****** last year, now we'll be really ****** as I don't see us getting anywhere near last seasons tally.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:46 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:Relegation material now.

Dyche hasn't learned. Team is too old, boring and stiff. Nothing changes. We were ****** last year, now we'll be really ****** as I don't see us getting anywhere near last seasons tally.
Trolling is stupid. Some of the other posters on this thread appear to believe what they say. You're just on an ego trip wind-up.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:29 am

dsr wrote:Trolling is stupid. Some of the other posters on this thread appear to believe what they say. You're just on an ego trip wind-up.
The irony. I think the above poster is 'fishing'. I don't think he truly believes that.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:30 am

dsr wrote:Would you say it was a poor performance? Certainly it's true that, while we pretty much matched Liverpool for the first half hour, after their lucky goal we were second best. But is that a surprise? I suppose that depends on whether or not you believe spending hundreds of millions of pounds makes you likely to be better. I reckon it does.

So Chris Wood is not as good as Salah. What do we do about it, as fans? Do we boo Wood? Do we boo Dyche for selecting him? Do we boo the Board of Directors for not providing the funds to sign Salah? Or do we accept that money talks, we did our best, and on the day our best wasn't good enough? And you could say the same about the team right down the line. We haven't spent enough money to expect to beat Liverpool, and there is absolutely nothing that the fans, the management, or the Board can do about that.
A realistic POV at last,there's been a crazy over-reaction to losing to the champions of Europe,if all the luck falls our way on a given day we can take points from the likes of Liverpool,but we need to perform at our maximum,and rely on them not being at their best,also they'd have to miss some glaring chances and Pope would have to save plenty,that happened against City a few seasons ago Sterling missed an open goal and we nicked a point,but that'll happen once in a blue moon(pun intended).

Over the 4 games so far we've shown enough to suggest we'll be clear of the bottom 3 come May,given those fixtures most people would have accepted 4 points,Arsenal and Liverpool were free hits,and any points gained there would be bonuses,Southampton at home was one of our winnable games and we collected the 3 points comfortably in the end,and but for a debatable penalty call last week we'd have collected 3 points from Molineux,even so it was a decent away point.

The next 3 games will provide a better guide as to how the season will unfold,that's a trio of fixtures we can definitely add a good number of points to our tally.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:35 am

"The next three games" only if someone puts the ball in the onion sack..

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 am

tim_noone wrote:"The next three games" only if someone puts the ball in the onion sack..
Oh they will alright...
This user liked this post: tim_noone