Hamburg v Hanover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Hamburg v Hanover

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Now that's what I call an atmosphere ...England's grounds are sterile to the point of Boredom :roll:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Hamburg v Hanover

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Most of europe makes a mockery of our atmosphere. But Germany is the one we could learn from most.

Great stadiums, that are safe but still absolutely bouncing.

Dortmund Bayern at Wembley showed it for what it is. English fans love to blame the stadium. But wembley was bouncing for that game.

We could have it here. In this day and age you need an organised area and to an extent the clubs on side.

Burnleys board would actually embrace it. Its the fans that dont want to.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Most of europe makes a mockery of our atmosphere. But Germany is the one we could learn from most.

Great stadiums, that are safe but still absolutely bouncing.

Dortmund Bayern at Wembley showed it for what it is. English fans love to blame the stadium. But wembley was bouncing for that game.

We could have it here. In this day and age you need an organised area and to an extent the clubs on side.

Burnleys board would actually embrace it. Its the fans that dont want to.
Problem is our grounds have become so sterlile and quiet there’s a whole ( large) generation of fans who don’t know any different , they don’t sing the songs because they don’t know them ,the raw atmosphere is almost gone .Not helped by the prem league being a genuine tourist attraction .

The whole “ultras “ thing is just so continental and organised ( not to mention vaguely homo erotic with all those leather jackets and or matching colours ) it feels false and a bit forced to English fans , though it works well in many euro clubs . I went to see Dortmund vs Schalke and it was a mental atmosphere I don’t think we even got that close in the 70’s .

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:21 pm

The ‘60s fans, who started the singing and chanting are now in their 60s.
Full credit to the lads and lasses who get behind the team vocally but it just seems to be dying out in English football.
Over the last 10 years it has really taken off across Europe and it definitely adds to the match experience.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:06 pm

If it cost as much to watch a Bundesliga match as it does an EPL match, there wouldn't be the atmosphere.
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:The ‘60s fans, who started the singing and chanting are now in their 60s.
Full credit to the lads and lasses who get behind the team vocally but it just seems to be dying out in English football.
Over the last 10 years it has really taken off across Europe and it definitely adds to the match experience.
Contrary to popular belief us oldies arent in the Bob Lord stand either.....currently watching marseille v st etienne Love to be in either crowd both very passionate!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 pm

The sitting only stadiums are what started all of this, in my opinion. Whereas before people with season tickets could move about somewhat, and stand with people singing or not as they were minded to; as soon as you were allotted your seat that choice was taken away. You might find yourselves sat with people who complain all the time (or otherwise make the atmosphere negative - who perhaps before might have been told to push off, or because they could they'd go and find somewhere themselves to be away from the singing), and it's harder to get into any good atmosphere like this.

In my mind it's either this, or the absence of streaking in the modern game.
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:16 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The sitting only stadiums are what started all of this, in my opinion. Whereas before people with season tickets could move about somewhat, and stand with people singing or not as they were minded to; as soon as you were allotted your seat that choice was taken away. You might find yourselves sat with people who complain all the time (or otherwise make the atmosphere negative - who perhaps before might have been told to push off, or because they could they'd go and find somewhere themselves to be away from the singing), and it's harder to get into any good atmosphere like this.

Apart from the streaking.... your correct. And i didnt realise blokes talk more than the wimmin.... and its mostly Sh!te!!!

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:The ‘60s fans, who started the singing and chanting are now in their 60s.
My son, who is Burnley through and through, now lives in Denmark, and attends quite a few games there and elsewhere in Europe. He always mentions the amazing atmospheres, even if much smaller attendances.
Sadly, he isn't old enough to have experienced standing in the Longside like myself, few and far between now are games with real atmosphere at the Turf, unfortunately.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm

tim_noone wrote:Contrary to popular belief us oldies arent in the Bob Lord stand either.....currently watching marseille v st etienne Love to be in either crowd both very passionate!
Apologies Tim. Not my implication but I feel the older you get the less vocal, in chanting terms.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Did the Lancs Constabulary attend?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Bob lord stand

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 pm

tim_noone wrote:Apart from the streaking.... your correct. And i didnt realise blokes talk more than the wimmin.... and its mostly Sh!te!!!
NEVER underestimate the power of streaking, man. The comma was deliberate.

Seriously though, life has all become very "compartmentalised". Where your seat is defines you as a fan as much as (or more) than how you define yourself as a fan regardless of your seat.

Another angle - when I worked in IT, I made a point of travelling to different offices to actually meet people I spoke to (via email or phone) on a regular basis. These conversations (with people within their own boxes) were constrained by managers there to ensure the people I spoke to kept it only to business at hand. It's hard to get a good business relationship going in those circumstances.

Humans aren't meant for boxes, which is probably why box seats have a nice back area.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 am

Some English fans can still get a good atmosphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOWaVZatkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:02 am

I was impressed by OlypiAKOSSSSSS

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 am

The young fans today are too bothered about what they look and sound like to create a real atmosphere. They’re scared of starting new songs, dismiss anybody who does, and sing far too fast.

I don’t think atmospheres in a English grounds were ever like the Germans, Polish etc. Watching highlights back of old games I think it’s something we’ve created in our minds from odd times it was really loud.
Last edited by Claretforever on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:04 am

wembley94 wrote:Some English fans can still get a good atmosphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOWaVZatkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as we don't like em that's what it's all about for me...was watching the non league show Last night and freedom to move about and stand appeals. These safe standing areas need to be Implemented sooner rather than Later.IMO.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:24 am

Quicknick wrote:If it cost as much to watch a Bundesliga match as it does an EPL match, there wouldn't be the atmosphere.
There we go. any number of excuses.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 am

wembley94 wrote:Some English fans can still get a good atmosphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOWaVZatkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh no. but there is a drum. No. We don't want a drum. Or anything coordinated. :roll:

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:04 am

Hamburg v Burnley, March 1961.

71,000 and just a bit noisy.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:20 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Oh no. but there is a drum. No. We don't want a drum. Or anything coordinated. :roll:
:lol:

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:52 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The sitting only stadiums are what started all of this, in my opinion. Whereas before people with season tickets could move about somewhat, and stand with people singing or not as they were minded to; as soon as you were allotted your seat that choice was taken away. You might find yourselves sat with people who complain all the time (or otherwise make the atmosphere negative - who perhaps before might have been told to push off, or because they could they'd go and find somewhere themselves to be away from the singing), and it's harder to get into any good atmosphere like this.

This absolutely. The old Longside was were you met your mates on matchday - some of them were simply football mates who you never saw socially, and as you say you could 'mingle' and find who you wanted to be with. The old concrete and metal giant terrace was an absolute din on a good day and that was ruined by catering to health and safety and the 'modern fan' who wants 'comfort'. If you want comfort f*ck off to the theater. All this and the strenuous efforts to make it a 'family' day and all these people saying 'sorry could you stop swearing in front of my daughter/son/aunt Matilda'. There was a post on here recently from someone going on about a lout swearing in front of kids (was it at the Wolves game - not sure) and the lout turned and said something like 'f*ck off it's a football match'. He did have a point, badly made maybe but a point nevertheless.
The world in general has become stifled with political correctness and social niceties that the real feelings aroused at football are becoming suppressed.
One wish of mine that will never happen but I can dream: tear out at least half the seats at grounds and get terracing back so that people can dance when their team scores and generally bounce about and while we're at it stop all the PC brigade from ruining matchdays because they think we should all be 'nice' to each other and nobody should be 'offended'.
These 2 users liked this post: groove cricketfieldclarets

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:02 pm

houseboy wrote:This absolutely. The old Longside was were you met your mates on matchday - some of them were simply football mates who you never saw socially, and as you say you could 'mingle' and find who you wanted to be with. The old concrete and metal giant terrace was an absolute din on a good day and that was ruined by catering to health and safety and the 'modern fan' who wants 'comfort'. If you want comfort f*ck off to the theater. All this and the strenuous efforts to make it a 'family' day and all these people saying 'sorry could you stop swearing in front of my daughter/son/aunt Matilda'. There was a post on here recently from someone going on about a lout swearing in front of kids (was it at the Wolves game - not sure) and the lout turned and said something like 'f*ck off it's a football match'. He did have a point, badly made maybe but a point nevertheless.
The world in general has become stifled with political correctness and social niceties that the real feelings aroused at football are becoming suppressed.
One wish of mine that will never happen but I can dream: tear out at least half the seats at grounds and get terracing back so that people can dance when their team scores and generally bounce about and while we're at it stop all the PC brigade from ruining matchdays because they think we should all be 'nice' to each other and nobody should be 'offended'.
Yeah screw those idiots who want to go to watch the football with their families in a safe and comfortable environment.

We should go back to the good ol’ days when 4000 real blokes could stand in the rain and shout abuse at whoever they saw fit. Everyone else can just f-off to the theatre.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Greenmile

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Yeah screw those idiots who want to go to watch the football with their families in a safe and comfortable environment.

We should go back to the good ol’ days when 4000 real blokes could stand in the rain and shout abuse at whoever they saw fit. Everyone else can just f-off to the theatre.
There would still be seated areas for them types, as there always was.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:09 pm

houseboy wrote:This absolutely. The old Longside was were you met your mates on matchday - some of them were simply football mates who you never saw socially, and as you say you could 'mingle' and find who you wanted to be with. The old concrete and metal giant terrace was an absolute din on a good day and that was ruined by catering to health and safety and the 'modern fan' who wants 'comfort'. If you want comfort f*ck off to the theater. All this and the strenuous efforts to make it a 'family' day and all these people saying 'sorry could you stop swearing in front of my daughter/son/aunt Matilda'. There was a post on here recently from someone going on about a lout swearing in front of kids (was it at the Wolves game - not sure) and the lout turned and said something like 'f*ck off it's a football match'. He did have a point, badly made maybe but a point nevertheless.
What a tit

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:09 pm

The matchday experience has improved, immeasurably, because it's less like this.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Swearing at football matches (an in society as a whole) is a new thing. Ask your grandparents or great-grandparents. When my mother started going (1947) there were very few ladies on the terracing, but still no swearing. It's only more recently a certain type of people have felt the urge to show how hard they are by swearing all the time.

Why is it all right to swear at a football match but not at the theatre? Are you saying theatre-goers are somehow better, kinder, more civilised people than football fans?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Yeah screw those idiots who want to go to watch the football with their families in a safe and comfortable environment.

We should go back to the good ol’ days when 4000 real blokes could stand in the rain and shout abuse at whoever they saw fit. Everyone else can just f-off to the theater.
Many a true word spoken in jest. Did I say we couldn't have seating? No. Did I say we couldn't have a family stand or part? No. But I agree about the abuse, it let's off steam and part of the reason the British are disappearing up their own backsides with suppression is because we are not allowed to speak our minds and/or get angry in case we 'offend' someone. People need to get a spine and stop being 'offended', especially when they get offended on someone else's behalf.

Oh and by the way, apart from the relatively few years we spent in the 4th division it was never 4,000 and we rarely stood in the rain unless someone was addicted to the old Bee Hole End.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Dyched wrote:What a tit
I'm not offended by your purile response bud. I obviously caused you some though. Why would you feel the need to insult because someone holds a different view from you? Oh I forgot, that's what the politically correct do isn't it?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Don't think that was the point.

But with the advent of family stands, and executive areas. There is no reason why somewhere like the CFS cant be somewhere between what you describe and what it is now.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:The matchday experience has improved, immeasurably, because it's less like this.
Of course it has mate, that's why people are on here are moaning about no atmosphere isn't it? Let's all clap politely, don't insult the referee as that would never do would it, and don't swear because it causes injury doesn't it?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 pm

dsr wrote:Swearing at football matches (an in society as a whole) is a new thing. Ask your grandparents or great-grandparents. When my mother started going (1947) there were very few ladies on the terracing, but still no swearing. It's only more recently a certain type of people have felt the urge to show how hard they are by swearing all the time.

Why is it all right to swear at a football match but not at the theatre? Are you saying theatre-goers are somehow better, kinder, more civilised people than football fans?
Point to where I said they don't swear at the theater. I was referring to COMFORT at the theater, not the lack of swearing or otherwise. If you attended the theater (as I indeed do from time to time) you would find that there is swearing in many performances let alone the audience. I find it a bit odd, not to mention a double standard when it is frowned on to swear (I actually swear very little most of the time) by the politically correct and yet those same PC people would promote equality for women (which I totally support) and yet would find it somehow abhorrent that a man swear in front of a woman. One thankfully largely dead practice is the awful male chauvinist act of saying to someone 'don't swear in front of my wife', like his wife doesn't have a mind of her own.

Actually now I think about it some things are better.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm

I can see both sides of this and it's an interesting discussion. Took my 10 year-old on Saturday and he sat with his elder brothers. We had a great view and I was totally engrossed in the game knowing I didn't have to worry about him in the slightest - he really enjoyed it even though we lost.

On the flipside - we made a great start. Chris Wood's early chance was right in front of us and in a different era, my era I suppose, that would have been the spark that really built some momentum and got an atmosphere going - but within 1/2 minutes it was back to the quiet studied approach to watching the game - in the JML at least.

The level of swearing is interesting. I tend not to but there's definitely a sense that it has increased, amongst certain individuals, as the match-day experience has become more static and sanitised as if it's become an acceptable part of that - provided you're aware of the unwritten rules of acceptability.

On balance are things better now than they were in the 70s to the 90s - definitely yes, but does that mean everything that has changed is for the better - definitely not.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:36 pm

houseboy wrote:Many a true word spoken in jest. Did I say we couldn't have seating? No. Did I say we couldn't have a family stand or part? No. But I agree about the abuse, it let's off steam and part of the reason the British are disappearing up their own backsides with suppression is because we are not allowed to speak our minds and/or get angry in case we 'offend' someone. People need to get a spine and stop being 'offended', especially when they get offended on someone else's behalf.

Oh and by the way, apart from the relatively few years we spent in the 4th division it was never 4,000 and we rarely stood in the rain unless someone was addicted to the old Bee Hole End.
You see what youve done? Some people are very easily hurt and upset and one or two are on here. Maybe they could wear Bose headphones at matches.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Stayingup wrote:You see what youve done? Some people are very easily hurt and upset and one or two are on here. Maybe they could wear Bose headphones at matches.
Maybe people just disagree with him. Why are you so hurt and upset by the people who don’t agree with him? Stop being so easily offended.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Is the theatre even that comfortable?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Stayingup wrote:You see what youve done? Some people are very easily hurt and upset and one or two are on here. Maybe they could wear Bose headphones at matches.
It's bloody brilliant mate - knock the PC world (no pun intended) and watch everyone bite. In their overwhelming urge to make the world a 'nicer' place they suppress freedom of speech, art, comedy and even to a degree music. Disagree with what they say and they call you racist, sexist, homophobic etc. If you criticise Israel for it's dreadful treatment of people on the West Bank they will often label you 'anti-Semitic, despite the fact that even many Jews are opposed to what's happening as well. My favourite is when they get offended on someone else's behalf, even when in many cases the person being 'defended' isn't actually offended.

I disagree with everything that man says but I would die fighting for his right to say it. People should keep this statement in mind at all times - my favourite quote ever.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm trying to imagine the shade of gammon houseboy has gone after that last post.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 pm

houseboy wrote:It's bloody brilliant mate - knock the PC world (no pun intended) and watch everyone bite. In their overwhelming urge to make the world a 'nicer' place they suppress freedom of speech, art, comedy and even to a degree music. Disagree with what they say and they call you racist, sexist, homophobic etc. If you criticise Israel for it's dreadful treatment of people on the West Bank they will often label you 'anti-Semitic, despite the fact that even many Jews are opposed to what's happening as well. My favourite is when they get offended on someone else's behalf, even when in many cases the person being 'defended' isn't actually offended.

I disagree with everything that man says but I would die fighting for his right to say it. People should keep this statement in mind at all times - my favourite quote ever.
So you’re allowed to say things without being challenged but people with opposing views aren’t? You keep fighting the fight brother.

You said that the modern fan who wants safety and comfort should ‘f*ck off to the theatre’. Do you realise how that makes you look? You talk the talk with your utter twaddle about freedom of speech etc yet you sneer at people who are different to you and tell them to go to the theatre instead of Turf Moor. You’re a hypocrite and it from what you’ve posted you’re an imbecilic one at that.

And don’t be a coward by pretending that you’ve posted what you have to upset the ‘PC world’. Have some conviction in your prehistoric views.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:So you’re allowed to say things without being challenged but people with opposing views aren’t? You keep fighting the fight brother.

You said that the modern fan who wants safety and comfort should ‘f*ck off to the theatre’. Do you realise how that makes you look? You talk the talk with your utter twaddle about freedom of speech etc yet you sneer at people who are different to you and tell them to go to the theatre instead of Turf Moor. You’re a hypocrite and it from what you’ve posted you’re an imbecilic one at that.

And don’t be a coward by pretending that you’ve posted what you have to upset the ‘PC world’. Have some conviction in your prehistoric views.
Aah, many assumptions there mate. All wrong though. I don't mind being challenged at all - I welcome it, I'm not angry or insulted or offended at your insults and attempts to describe me as a liar. That's your right despite the fact that it makes you look slightly petty.
I don't sneer at people, I just think people should have more backbone when it comes to being 'offended'. I have a dig but if they dig back I really don't care, argument makes the world go round doesn't it?
Unfortunately you seem unable to raise the wit and intelligence to form an argument without resorting to personal insult so I guess you are backing up what I say. I'm sure you are a very nice person and people like you but with this, alas, you don't come across that way. Of course I could be wrong because I don't know you from Adam, the problem lies in the fact that you don't know me either but feel the need to try to disagree by hurling insults.
As for your last point, I am anything but a coward. I stand by every word I said - totally. But I also do like to light the blue touch paper at the PC brigade because it causes chaos in their otherwise perfect world.
Life isn't fair bud, it's cruel and harsh and trying to force people into a Procrustean bed of niceness and sameness will ultimately never work. Even in schools they are trying to teach kids about niceness and how to be kind and how to take their turn in the football team because it's fair, then they are released into a world they just aren't prepared for because it doesn't work like that.
Trying to force opinions on people is wrong on every level. I say what I say and if people don't agree that's fine, but in the PC world it doesn't work like that because if you defy you are branded, and that is wholly wrong.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:27 pm

claret2018 wrote:I'm trying to imagine the shade of gammon houseboy has gone after that last post.
Sorry = don't catch your drift bud.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Maybe people just disagree with him. Why are you so hurt and upset by the people who don’t agree with him? Stop being so easily offended.
Of course people disagree with me Riley - that's the whole point - it's fine to disagree. I wholly support those who disagree with me. It is their right to do so. Unfortunately many can't see that which is plainly before their eyes - that the PC supporters of this world won't and cannot stand to be argued with. Look at phrases like 'you can't say that', you hear it all the time. Yes people can say that and should be allowed to do so. If people have views that are unpopular or even dangerous they need to be heard because if they are silenced their views will be driven underground and then their ideas will fester unchecked. That's the breeding ground of subversion.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:02 pm

One of the reason I don't often part with my cash for a football match in place of a spot in front of the telly is the atmosphere. It's what makes the experience more than watching the game in front of the telly, to feel the buzz of the crowd and a collective experience with strangers with whom you share a passion. If there is no buzz or passion it becomes a sterile, rather boring experience even if your team is doing well.

There's obviously several factors, but three I'd cite are price that invites the prawn sandwichers to rule, all-seater stadiums and also, a general lack of individuality and characters on the pitch to get you off your seat.
There are some amazing footballers from all over the world in the PL, but I miss players like Waddle, Cantona, Le Tissier etc who aren't world class athletes but have a bit of flair and set themselves apart. From my early days I'd say tin man, little and Blake did the same for example. McNeil for example is a wonderful talent but compared to Little in the entertainment department he's nowhere near. It's a numbers and stats game, the art of expression on a football pitch has disappeared.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 pm

houseboy wrote:Aah, many assumptions there mate. All wrong though. I don't mind being challenged at all - I welcome it, I'm not angry or insulted or offended at your insults and attempts to describe me as a liar. That's your right despite the fact that it makes you look slightly petty.
I don't sneer at people, I just think people should have more backbone when it comes to being 'offended'. I have a dig but if they dig back I really don't care, argument makes the world go round doesn't it?
Unfortunately you seem unable to raise the wit and intelligence to form an argument without resorting to personal insult so I guess you are backing up what I say. I'm sure you are a very nice person and people like you but with this, alas, you don't come across that way. Of course I could be wrong because I don't know you from Adam, the problem lies in the fact that you don't know me either but feel the need to try to disagree by hurling insults.
As for your last point, I am anything but a coward. I stand by every word I said - totally. But I also do like to light the blue touch paper at the PC brigade because it causes chaos in their otherwise perfect world.
Life isn't fair bud, it's cruel and harsh and trying to force people into a Procrustean bed of niceness and sameness will ultimately never work. Even in schools they are trying to teach kids about niceness and how to be kind and how to take their turn in the football team because it's fair, then they are released into a world they just aren't prepared for because it doesn't work like that.
Trying to force opinions on people is wrong on every level. I say what I say and if people don't agree that's fine, but in the PC world it doesn't work like that because if you defy you are branded, and that is wholly wrong.
I don’t think my post contained personal insults. What you have posted on this thread is hypocritical. My use of the word imbecile was clumsy, as I’m sure you’re not an imbecile, but your post was certainly imbecilic and hypocritical.

I didn’t call you a liar so I don’t know where you get that from. I also didn’t call you a coward, I told you to not to be a coward by pretending that everything you have posted is to try and get a rise out of the ‘PC world’. It’s the same as the people who post utter garbage, get shot down and then claim they were fishing.

Anyway, if you really think that people who want to watch football in a ‘safe and comfortable environment’ should f-off to the theatre instead then there’s no point in us continuing the discussion because that’s just ridiculous.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Hamburg v Hanover
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Bop

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:37 pm

willsclarets wrote:One of the reason I don't often part with my cash for a football match in place of a spot in front of the telly is the atmosphere. It's what makes the experience more than watching the game in front of the telly, to feel the buzz of the crowd and a collective experience with strangers with whom you share a passion. If there is no buzz or passion it becomes a sterile, rather boring experience even if your team is doing well.

There's obviously several factors, but three I'd cite are price that invites the prawn sandwichers to rule, all-seater stadiums and also, a general lack of individuality and characters on the pitch to get you off your seat.
There are some amazing footballers from all over the world in the PL, but I miss players like Waddle, Cantona, Le Tissier etc who aren't world class athletes but have a bit of flair and set themselves apart. From my early days I'd say tin man, little and Blake did the same for example. McNeil for example is a wonderful talent but compared to Little in the entertainment department he's nowhere near. It's a numbers and stats game, the art of expression on a football pitch has disappeared.
I honestly cant think of one player that you can even relate to or associate with these days?

Perhaps the captain we recently lost. Or maybe Joey Barton.

But truly - how many footballers can a fan relate to these days? Most wouldn't **** on you if you were on fire!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I honestly cant think of one player that you can even relate to or associate with these days?

Perhaps the captain we recently lost. Or maybe Joey Barton.

But truly - how many footballers can a fan relate to these days? Most wouldn't **** on you if you were on fire!
By your high standards of Angling, That.........is a poor cast! :roll:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

Rileybobs wrote:I don’t think my post contained personal insults. What you have posted on this thread is hypocritical. My use of the word imbecile was clumsy, as I’m sure you’re not an imbecile, but your post was certainly imbecilic and hypocritical.

I didn’t call you a liar so I don’t know where you get that from. I also didn’t call you a coward, I told you to not to be a coward by pretending that everything you have posted is to try and get a rise out of the ‘PC world’. It’s the same as the people who post utter garbage, get shot down and then claim they were fishing.

Anyway, if you really think that people who want to watch football in a ‘safe and comfortable environment’ should f-off to the theatre instead then there’s no point in us continuing the discussion because that’s just ridiculous.
Hi Riley, sorry for the late reply but I had a cataract op just over two weeks ago and I had to stay away from a computer screen for a bit but I am like a man reborn now - I can see again. :shock:
I'd like to apologise for my over-reaction last time, I was a little harsh I think but I had a lot on my mind at the time (I was coming up to an op that could have left me blind as I have only ever had one good eye). Anyway that is no excuse. I do stand by what I said but the way I replied to you was a little out of order and for that I do apologise whole heartedly. We'll agree to differ on this one but I do agree with a lot of your posts generally. I hope we can find some common ground on other matters and I'm sure we will.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:07 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Riley, sorry for the late reply but I had a cataract op just over two weeks ago and I had to stay away from a computer screen for a bit but I am like a man reborn now - I can see again. :shock:
I'd like to apologise for my over-reaction last time, I was a little harsh I think but I had a lot on my mind at the time (I was coming up to an op that could have left me blind as I have only ever had one good eye). Anyway that is no excuse. I do stand by what I said but the way I replied to you was a little out of order and for that I do apologise whole heartedly. We'll agree to differ on this one but I do agree with a lot of your posts generally. I hope we can find some common ground on other matters and I'm sure we will.
Likewise - overreaction on my part too mate, not a problem! Hope the op went well!