Goal Nets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lisa1971

Goal Nets

Post by Lisa1971 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Does anyone agree with me that modern goal nets are rubbish? I understood that the old nets with stanchions were banned because the ball could strike a stanchion and bounce back into play giving the referee the impression that it wasn't a goal. But the observant among you will notice that the ball bounces back into play at least nine times out of ten when a goal is scored, sometimes bouncing back into the field of play by 15 yards or more. Isn't it time to revert to the old nets where the ball would (usually) Nestle in the back of the net?

Ernie

Redbeard
Been Liked: 1438 times
Has Liked: 2457 times

Re: Goal Nets

Post by Redbeard » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:31 pm

I for one do agree.

And btw, when Robbie Blake hit that volley v Man U, there was so much power in the shot that when the ball came back out of the net Wade Elliott, following up, tried to trap it but got nutmegged!

Check it out! :D
Last edited by Redbeard on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Rodneyyouplonker

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:39 pm

At least the net stops the ball.

I was refereeing a game where someone had a shot and it appeared to go into the top corner of the goal but, instead of being stopped by the net as I expected it just continued on its path unhindered. I was a bit confused but as there was nothing obviously wrong with the net I concluded that the ball must have gone over the goal (assuming my eyes had deceived me), and gave a goal kick. There were no protests.

At half time someone got a ball to see if it would go through the net and it did. It's therefore clear it was a goal! There was nothing I could do except apologise to the scorer.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:40 pm

The modern, tight nets are far better than the old limp fishing net which was draped from the crossbar.

Rodneyyouplonker
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Rodneyyouplonker » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Redbeard wrote:I for one do agree.

And btw, when Robbie Blake hit that volley v Man U, there was so much power in the shot that when the ball came back out of the net Wade Elliot, following up, tried to trap it but got nutmegged!

Check it out! :D
Good spot Redbeard, never noticed that before.
This user liked this post: Redbeard

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Lisa1971 wrote:Does anyone agree with me that modern goal nets are rubbish? I understood that the old nets with stanchions were banned because the ball could strike a stanchion and bounce back into play giving the referee the impression that it wasn't a goal. But the observant among you will notice that the ball bounces back into play at least nine times out of ten when a goal is scored, sometimes bouncing back into the field of play by 15 yards or more. Isn't it time to revert to the old nets where the ball would (usually) Nestle in the back of the net?

Ernie

If I’m honest Ernie I couldn’t disagree more, the new nets are miles better.

From experience scorring into box netting as opposed to the old netting just feels so much better