ARTICLE: Brilliant Blacklaw helps Burnley to a win at Goodison

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Brilliant Blacklaw helps Burnley to a win at Goodison

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/brilliant-b ... t-goodison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: Brilliant Blacklaw helps Burnley to a win at Goodison

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:49 pm

" Adamson and McIlroy combined and from the latter’s pass Ray POINTER..."( or Robson etc)
I wonder how many times that phrase would be written during that season and other seasons as well.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/brilliant-b ... t-goodison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the special season begins to take shape with a cracking win at Goodison, even if we didn't play specially well.

One thing we noticed was that Les Shannon was now Chief Coach at Everton under manager John Carey. Les had been a superb servant at the Turf for ten years until he was released in 1959 and we felt that he might have been offered something similar at the Turf but it wasn't to be. He'd played a big part in the development of a young Jimmy Mac throughout the 50's.

Turns out that in September 1959 you could buy a duffle coat in Burnley for £2/1/3d (£2.06p) pretty much the identical price of an adult ground season ticket. How times change.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:And the special season begins to take shape with a cracking win at Goodison, even if we didn't play specially well.

One thing we noticed was that Les Shannon was now Chief Coach at Everton under manager John Carey. Les had been a superb servant at the Turf for ten years until he was released in 1959 and we felt that he might have been offered something similar at the Turf but it wasn't to be. He'd played a big part in the development of a young Jimmy Mac throughout the 50's.

Turns out that in September 1959 you could buy a duffle coat in Burnley for £2/1/3d (£2.06p) pretty much the identical price of an adult ground season ticket. How times change.
This was a special one for me, the very mention of my hero Blacklaw still has me drooling.

On the subject of Les Shannon, he scored our winning goal on the day I was born. I eventually got the opportunity to meet him around 18 months before he passed away.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:This was a special one for me, the very mention of my hero Blacklaw still has me drooling.

On the subject of Les Shannon, he scored our winning goal on the day I was born. I eventually got the opportunity to meet him around 18 months before he passed away.
Les Shannon was a nice guy. A good mate of Jimmy Mac; he came up to play golf with him at Royal Glen. I remember vividly them teeing-off at the first hole. I was a Junior Member then gawking at two great Clarets.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:This was a special one for me, the very mention of my hero Blacklaw still has me drooling.

Without doubt Adam was a top class goalkeeper, a great shot stopper and hard as nails with it. Must have been difficult for him to follow Colin McDonald who literally was a world class keeper, but Adam made the position his own for several seasons and rarely made a costly mistake. Behind every great team there's a great keeper and Blacklaw certainly came into that category.

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:44 am

If memory serves,and I remember my Burnley geography correctly, Blacklaw owned the paper shop at the corner of Brunshaw Rd and Rimington Ave.
This user liked this post: basil6345789