Pieters v Salah

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Pieters v Salah

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:29 pm

I was very impressed by the way Erik addressed the 'mark Salah' problem. He didn't give a lot of space away and managed to cut short a lot of what Salah wanted to do. Of course, Salah was effective but he is one of the best players we have ever seen in UK. Well done Erik.
These 6 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Hibsclaret beeholeclaret summitclaret Colburn_Claret IanMcL

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Pieters v Salah

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:49 pm

I thought Pieters was excellent in dealing with Salah and played well overall. Closed him down and kept tight when he needed. And gave him space when that was appropriate.

Salah was the one who struggled most out of the front three to impose himself. And as MOTD highlighted ended up trying to make up for that by shootng when passing was a better option as he was frustrated.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm

But lots of people on here said he dives in all the time and marked him 3, 4 or 5 out of ten. I’m not sure who to believe tbh. Oh and it’s Erik’s fault when Dwight is below par too....

If they don’t get the fortunate first which possibly means they don’t get the second, I’m not sure Mo would have appeared out of Erik’s pocket all afternoon.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Thought Pieters had a really good game and did a decent job on Salah - as well as he could under the circumstances. Stuck to the plan throughout. Some of the comments/marks on the ratings thread were way off and showed either a lack of understanding about what it means to be an FB against a player of that quality or a pre-conceived agenda - probably a mixture of both.
These 3 users liked this post: Hibsclaret THEWELLERNUT70 The Enclosure

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:01 pm

The same people marked Lowton down last season when he was trying to mark Hazard.

Of course, Salah got past him a couple of times and, of course, he gave Salah too much space out on the wing - but that is down to how we set up, which is to play it narrow and then move out to cover someone playing wide only when the ball is going to them.

On the whole, Salah had an extremely quiet game by his standards and much of that was down to Pieters' effort and quality. Sadly, even if you keep 1 or 2 Liverpool players quiet they have too many others who can step up and hurt you.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Charlie Taylor is a far better left back than Pieters going off what I've seen so far.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:06 pm

They want Taylor back in. I have been Taylor’s biggest critic in the past and I can see that he improved immeasurably throughout last season, which was reflected in my ratings for him from January onwards. He and the coaching staff take great credit for taking someone out of his depth at defending in the early part of last season (take Wolves away as an example and compare to this year) to the dependable full back he was at the end of last season.

However, Pieters deserves the shirt at the minute and as always it is best to allow the ginger genius to decide who gets it because he is better informed than anyone. I just know from watching that Pieters created more than we have had from left back all last season in one game (Southampton) and how we played at both the Emirates and Wolves that we should not be changing anyone in the defence at the minute. It was a different challenge against Liverpool but Erik was one of the better players and some of the tackles he puts in are something that Charlie can continue to develop by watching in training.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:07 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Charlie Taylor is a far better left back than Pieters going off what I've seen so far.
Compare the performance at Wolves last year and this. If you still think that then watch it again with your eyes open...

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Compare the performance at Wolves last year and this. If you still think that then watch it again with your eyes open...
Our whole team were an absolute shambles at Wolves last season. It just suits your narrative to single Taylor out because he took your man Wardys place. Taylor deserved to keep the shirt on last season's showing, theres no way Ben Mee or Jack Cork would have been made to sit out in a similar situation.
This user liked this post: Helmshore Claret

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Our whole team were an absolute shambles at Wolves last season. It just suits your narrative to single Taylor out because he took your man Wardys place. Taylor deserved to keep the shirt on last season's showing, theres no way Ben Mee or Jack Cork would have been made to sit out in a similar situation.
Nonsense. I don’t care who plays at left back or anywhere else as long as they are good enough. Taylor improved to the point where he became good enough. Fortunately, we have signed someone else with more experience who Dyche has brought straight into the team as clearly he thought we could upgrade on what we had. The reason none of the others have been replaced is because they are good enough and we haven’t seen the need to upgrade (beyond a 30m loan player that is), and the midfield boys have upped their game possibly having seen their place in jeopardy. Charlie will need to improve again to get back in this team or Erik’s form take a dip...

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Nonsense. I don’t care who plays at left back or anywhere else as long as they are good enough. Taylor improved to the point where he became good enough. Fortunately, we have signed someone else with more experience who Dyche has brought straight into the team as clearly he thought we could upgrade on what we had. The reason none of the others have been replaced is because they are good enough and we haven’t seen the need to upgrade (beyond a 30m loan player that is), and the midfield boys have upped their game possibly having seen their place in jeopardy. Charlie will need to improve again to get back in this team or Erik’s form take a dip...
If you play well you should keep the shirt. But we all know with Dyche some players have to work extra hard to impress whilst his favourites are guaranteed a start every week.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:33 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If you play well you should keep the shirt. But we all know with Dyche some players have to work extra hard to impress whilst his favourites are guaranteed a start every week.
What are you on about? Pieters played well and kept the shirt.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:29 pm

As the bloke who started this thread, it was supposed to be about 'Pieters v Salah'. What's all this 'Pieters v Taylor' nonsense? If you want a thread about who is our best left back, start your own - don't hijack mine.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:32 pm

I thought overall, Salah was quiet compared to his usual game.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:As the bloke who started this thread, it was supposed to be about 'Pieters v Salah'. What's all this 'Pieters v Taylor' nonsense? If you want a thread about who is our best left back, start your own - don't hijack mine.
Agreed. My first post was on topic. Somebody else mentioned Charlie as about 6 people did on the match ratings thread...

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:36 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I thought overall, Salah was quiet compared to his usual game.
He was in Erik’s pocket

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What are you on about? Pieters played well and kept the shirt.
I was on about Taylor's performances last season.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I was on about Taylor's performances last season.
This thread is about Pieters v Salah. Ffs stop mentioning Taylor......you’re making yourself look like a right Charlie

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:He was in Erik’s pocket
That's my point.

Although he did do an absolute Worldy of a chip through that sliced our defence apart. Other than that, I forgot he was actually playing.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:41 pm

If somebody had played a better ball in the last kick of the first half Erik had burst into the penalty area and would’ve had a great chance....

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1569 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Pieters is adequate cover but Charlie is number one. He improves the more he plays and should be back in as soon as he is deemed fit enough.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:47 pm

I voted him Claret man of match...although not many agreed! :?
These 2 users liked this post: Hibsclaret the_magic_rat

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:06 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I was on about Taylor's performances last season.
But Taylor didn’t ‘lose’ his shirt, he was injured for the season opener and Pieters was deemed to have done well enough to keep his shirt. Which is the policy that you seem to be advocating.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:Pieters is adequate cover but Charlie is number one. He improves the more he plays and should be back in as soon as he is deemed fit enough.
This thread is not about...........oh I give up

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I too thought Peiters had a good game on Saturday. I actually think his end product in attack is better than Taylor's too.

Isnt Taylor behind in his fitness due to being injured pre season? I can see him pushing for a start after the international break, which is brilliant for us as we have two quality left backs

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:21 pm

claretblue wrote:I voted him Claret man of match...although not many agreed! :?
I did, cb!

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:He was in Erik’s pocket
Apart from when he hit the post as Pieters left him in an ocean of space and beat Pieters and Mee on the edge of the box and provided an assist for goal Number 3.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Must be watching a different game the sooner taylor is back the better 1st choice by some distance. Hopefully just regaining full fitness..
This user liked this post: jrgbfc

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:Apart from when he hit the post as Pieters left him in an ocean of space and beat Pieters and Mee on the edge of the box and provided an assist for goal Number 3.
Pieters and Mee both prevented him from shooting and were forcing him along the box, unfortunately, Firminho, who had played the first pass in the move was left to progress from his own half unmarked and provided a target for Salah. Two defenders were doing their job meanwhile ............

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:37 pm

You have to love this board sometimes.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm

I thought Pieters did OK against Salah on Saturday. He wasn't perfect but he stuck to his job doggedly and I thought the spacing between him and Mee was pretty good, and he definitely ensured that Salah didn't get in behind him too much,

He did look a bit clumsy at times, though. Some of his defending was a bit frenetic (there was one odd backpass to Pope when putting it out of play for a throw looked a much calmer option for example) and his distribution was a bit rushed. As I said on the ratings thread, as a team we need to make plenty of allowance for the fact that Liverpool are absolutely superb without the ball and they close down and compress space brilliantly. However, the two players who I thought should have been better in possession even allowing for that were Pieters and (even more so) Lowton. They had more space and time than the rest of our players (Liverpool focused their front 3 on pressing our centre backs) and they didn't use it especially well.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Not really sure what people are raving about Pieters for tbh. He's looked bang average to me yet some people are making him out to be the second coming of Paolo Maldini.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Sheedyclaret wrote:Must be watching a different game the sooner taylor is back the better 1st choice by some distance. Hopefully just regaining full fitness..
This thread is not about.....

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:14 pm

Played well against Southampton but I did think letting Ward go was a bit risky, not convinced by Taylor still.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:14 pm

jrgbfc wrote:second coming of Paolo Maldini.
This thread is not about.....

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:16 pm

claretspice wrote:I thought Pieters did OK against Salah on Saturday. He wasn't perfect but he stuck to his job doggedly and I thought the spacing between him and Mee was pretty good, and he definitely ensured that Salah didn't get in behind him too much,

He did look a bit clumsy at times, though. Some of his defending was a bit frenetic (there was one odd backpass to Pope when putting it out of play for a throw looked a much calmer option for example) and his distribution was a bit rushed. As I said on the ratings thread, as a team we need to make plenty of allowance for the fact that Liverpool are absolutely superb without the ball and they close down and compress space brilliantly. However, the two players who I thought should have been better in possession even allowing for that were Pieters and (even more so) Lowton. They had more space and time than the rest of our players (Liverpool focused their front 3 on pressing our centre backs) and they didn't use it especially well.
He did more than ok. The ratings of 5 or below are nonsense.

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm

MoM for me, thought he did great.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Played well against Southampton but I did think letting Ward go was a bit risky, not convinced by Taylor still.
Ward was a great servant but age and crucially injuries were catching up with him last season,i'm not losing any sleep over a 34 year old leaving,i thought most people wanted the average age of our squad reduced.

Pieters is a solid enough acquisition and he won't be facing players of Salah's calibre every week.

The Taylor/McNeil combo down our left side was a big factor in the vast improvement in form during the 2nd half of last season,and in the long-term i'm sure Charlie will be first choice.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Im_not_Robbie_Blake

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 pm

It's my thread so I say again....

STICK TO THE POINT!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1697 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 pm

He definitely contained Salah who is an outstanding player. What I like about Pieters is he gets really tight on wingers-pushing them up to the touchline. Been unlucky with the penalty conceded and Arsenals first goal. A solid acquisition-for now he must keep the shirt

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:It's my thread so I say again....

STICK TO THE POINT!
Do you know how I can tell that you’re not Robbie Blake? Obviously your username is a clue, but it could be a double bluff. The giveaway is that the real Robbie Blake wouldn’t be a stickler about the discussion on his threads meandering slightly around the main issue whilst staying largely on topic.

Although I suppose if you were Robbie Blake but trying really hard to pretend otherwise this could be an even more elaborate bluff. Now I really don’t know what to think.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Pieters signed for only a million quid v Salah, premier league golden boot, Champions league and UEFA super cup winner. I'd say he did a great job of nullifying him.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:04 am

No Ney Never wrote:Pieters signed for only a million quid v Salah, premier league golden boot, Champions league and UEFA super cup winner. I'd say he did a great job of nullifying him.
Quite a few on here seem to think he was up against a league 1 reserve player......

Im_not_Robbie_Blake

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 am

Rileybobs wrote:Do you know how I can tell that you’re not Robbie Blake? Obviously your username is a clue, but it could be a double bluff. The giveaway is that the real Robbie Blake wouldn’t be a stickler about the discussion on his threads meandering slightly around the main issue whilst staying largely on topic.

Although I suppose if you were Robbie Blake but trying really hard to pretend otherwise this could be an even more elaborate bluff. Now I really don’t know what to think.

I'm not Robbie Blake. I'm also not Julie Walters, Donald Trump, Chris Bonington, Eric Cantona or the Queen.
However, I am everyone else.
Bluff, double bluff, truth or plain nonsense. You decide.