RIP Mike Ferguson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

RIP Mike Ferguson

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Apologies if there has already been a thread on this . Mike died August 27 age 76. Despite playing for Rovers and Stanley, Fergie was born in Burnley and I was lucky enough to work with him when he managed and played for Rochdale in the 70`s. Good golfer and he lived near Burnley GC. Top guy and a top footballer. RIP Mike.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick burnleyboy Juan Tanamera

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Re: RIP Mike Ferguson

Post by CleggHall » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Ferguson, Harrison and Bimpson - Rovers wingers who could really frighten fullbacks, all built like brick outhouses.
Ferguson could play a bit too. RIP.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:05 pm

He told me his only regret was that he never played for The Clarets........his home town club

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:17 pm

A distant relative of mine. RIP Mike.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:22 pm

FCBurnley, Mike had not been well for some time. He was brought up round Leyland Rd and for a time after finishing playing, he lived near the Woodman, before he moved to Worsthorne a number of years ago.
Most of the times I saw him, were when he was at the Pike Hill Spar shop, when we had a good natter about Burnley and football in general. He could also tell some good stories about his time as player ( he never mentioned that lot) and coach.
Little did people know, he made good friends with a married couple who were very keen QPR fans, the husband had a coal round and Mick spent the summer months delivering coal, to earn extra money to help with the cost of London living. He said as coal men had,his face was as black as the ace of spades and an old fella said " you don't half look like that lad who plays for Rangers", when said that's me, the bloke nearly chased away for being lippy. And before 1 home game he went out at 5-30am, to do some coal deliveries, then played.
He loved to talk about Terry Venables and working for him, while he was the England manager. Was the scorer of Accrington Stanleys last goal at Doncaster Away, before they were thrown out of the League.
What a gentleman and a character he was. RIP Mick
These 5 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die FCBurnley The Enclosure Wile E Coyote Juan Tanamera

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:25 pm

nice bloke, and was a friend of my dad several years ago Gordon Lennox era. sad news indeed. RIP.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Once stood behind him and a couple of other rovers players on the longside. Rovers had been beaten in previous round of the league cup by a very dirty arsenal team. We then played arsenal and they were again very dirty. Fergie was supporting clarets. Think we won 4.3?? Or lost!! Can’t remember.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Top lad was Mike.always had a good tale to tell.
RiP .

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7177 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 pm

clansman wrote:Once stood behind him and a couple of other rovers players on the longside. Rovers had been beaten in previous round of the league cup by a very dirty arsenal team. We then played arsenal and they were again very dirty. Fergie was supporting clarets. Think we won 4.3?? Or lost!! Can’t remember.
It was a 3-3 draw. We lost the replay. Was Ferguson a Burnley fan? I saw him play for Rovers a few times. Looked a good player. Their fans certainly like him. RIP Mike.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Watched him at Stanley, really upset when he went to that lot but my memory playing tricks with me and I thought he was transferred before Accy went bump.

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 am

D C, I think the Football League for some reason had held his registration. They were supposedly paid £750 by that lot, for it. He went to St Mary's grammar school Bburn and played for their team and I think the town team, which gave some the impression he was a supporter. He was always a Claret fan.
While he played for Plymouth, I had a lot of programmes from South West Counties games Mike had played in against the likes of Newton Abbot, Taunton and many others, probably before he played in the first team. I don't know, but around that time Plymouth may have been managed by the son of Billy Dougal. Again I'm not 100% sure on this, but while he was at Villa, Tommy Cummings managed the side.
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret FCBurnley

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:29 pm

I found out that he’s family and never got the honour to meeting him... rest in peace Mike ❤️

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Could anyone put my intouch with a family member?

Mike Ferguson
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Mike Ferguson » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi,
I have just discovered this thread on a return search from google.

Thank you for the very kind words, comments and stories about my Father. Today he would have been another year older.

One thing he never ever told me no matter how many times I asked him was who he supported. Never - EVER! It did used to wind me up :-)

That said, whnever we were together, going to or coming home from a game and the radio was on, any discussion stopped when there was a mention of Burnley. I will leave that for those interested to make what they want.

Yesterday 8th March 2020, I opened Dads scrap book. It has the black and white photographs taken at St. Mary's with the team at the time 52 and 53.

There is also an article published by the Lancs telegraph and the Daily Mirror about the day he signed for Rovers. There were three clubs that wanted to sign him and all three managers set off that same day to meet him at a location they had been told, ( I don't know who told them where he was).

The only Manager that tracked him down was JM from Rovers. Dad was training with the Clarets. After training and despite everything, he took the offer.

2 Months before Dad passed, he finished his autobiography. It contains all the cuttings and some of the stories mentioned here. I have been left trying to get it published, but it has been difficult because of the very raw emotion.

Once again, thank you for the posts, they made me smile.

Regards
Mike Ferguson (jnr)
These 14 users liked this post: tim_noone Ashingtonclaret46 Aclaret basil6345789 Claret Till I Die mdd2 conyoviejo Tricky Trevor Blackburnclaret Billy Balfour The Enclosure Andingle claretgimmer Rumpelstiltskin

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw him at the turf playing for Backburn, must have been 60s, we got hammered 4 0 or 4 1 I think. Remember a drunk old buggar shouting come on Fergie me old fruit me old flower. He was a great player, think he scored a cracker that day too.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Happy birthday to your dad Mike.
Not seen you around for a while, sorry about your dad, I'd say that he was a Claret from the chats we had.

Darren

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:21 pm

I've been watching the Clarets for over 60 years but when I was much younger I'd sometimes go to Ewood Park when we were away. In November 1965 I did just that. Blackburn were at home to Newcastle and at half time Blackburn were losing 1-2. The next 45 minutes I saw a wonderful individual display from Mike Ferguson(your dad). He ran the show. Newcastle couldn't handle him and the game ended in a victory of 4-2 to Blackburn. I've been to countless games before and of course since then but that midfield authority on show in the 2nd half from Mike Ferguson is something I've never forgotten. Would have loved to see him in a claret and blue shirt.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ynot
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by ynot » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 pm

Mike, so sorry to hear about your Dad passing. Are you still living at the same place? Would be good to catch up

Tony

cocotheclaret
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by cocotheclaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:39 pm

I used play in the same cricket team as Mike in the Tuesday night league up Towneley, I was only a young lad and everyone really liked him and was a decent fast bowler as I recall.

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Mike used to go down the Mecca and sit upstairs on the balcony overlooking the dance floor, where he mostly sat alone every week, eating a bag of jelly babies. He would bite the head off and then throw them at people dancing below. Looking all innocent when they looked up to see what theyd been hit with. Although no one got hurt, it spoilt it for the guys dancing and trying to chat the women up.