Paxman: Why Are Our Politicians So Crap (CH 5 9 PM)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Paxman: Why Are Our Politicians So Crap (CH 5 9 PM)

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 pm

This is topical to say the least ;) followed by a debate at 10,i don't think the debate is live sadly as that would have provided fireworks after this week's events.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: Paxman: Why Are Our Politicians So Crap (CH 5 9 PM)

Post by CleggHall » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Expenses scandal, jobs for life, too many of them, public school education and Oxbridge, wining and dining, London-centric, out of touch with their constituents, never answer questions, spin doctors and PR, all the same.
Just a few points to get the ball rolling!
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18263 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Well most are full of sh*t so why wouldn't they be Crap

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Deliberate manipulation of the law so that MPs are exempt from the extra tax on high pensions that is causing angst in the NHS at present.

Deliberate manipulation of the law so that all MPs chucked out or resigning in the forthcoming general election not only get an £80k handout for their failure, but they also are exempt from the tax on that payment that everyone else in the country has to pay.

Deliberate manipulation of the law so that even legal expenses claims are under ridiculously favourable tax laws that do not apply to anyone else in the country.

They are, as a group, corrupt.
These 6 users liked this post: tim_noone ten bellies Buxtonclaret evensteadiereddie Bosscat frankinwales

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 am

dsr wrote:Deliberate manipulation of the law so that MPs are exempt from the extra tax on high pensions that is causing angst in the NHS at present.

Deliberate manipulation of the law so that all MPs chucked out or resigning in the forthcoming general election not only get an £80k handout for their failure, but they also are exempt from the tax on that payment that everyone else in the country has to pay.

Deliberate manipulation of the law so that even legal expenses claims are under ridiculously favourable tax laws that do not apply to anyone else in the country.

That analysis smacks of Animal Farm. Wonder how many of our humble MP's have read it? Snouts well and truly in the trough.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:21 am

dsr wrote:Deliberate manipulation of the law so that MPs are exempt from the extra tax on high pensions that is causing angst in the NHS at present.

There’s no way I’d do it for the money they get.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 am

I quite admire some of them, but latterly it becomes glaringly obvious how much they will lie to the public, no ambiguity, no wondering if its just me that's thick as pig ****, these elected representitives genuinely lie on an almost hourly basis, and it is a disgrace to the honest voters with a social conscience.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:47 am

CleggHall wrote:Expenses scandal, jobs for life, too many of them, public school education and Oxbridge, wining and dining, London-centric, out of touch with their constituents, never answer questions, spin doctors and PR, all the same.
Just a few points to get the ball rolling!
Along comes a party leader who is the antithesis of what you've described, and the establishment do their utmost to discredit him.

Does this make the picture clearer?
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro Swizzlestick

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 am

AndrewJB wrote:Along comes a party leader who is the antithesis of what you've described, and the establishment do their utmost to discredit him.

Does this make the picture clearer?
FFS he has spent his whole time in parliament up until he was made leader being a self indulgent prick with a 6th form debating soc. mentality. He is petulant when challenged on anything substantial and completely in thrall to the 4Ms. That is what is clear to me, a life long Labour supporter.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:21 am

I thought overall the programme was quite good. I would however have liked to have seen a little bit longer spent at the end on how we should go about reforming it. That appeared a bit rushed though in general I agreed with all his points. Interesting point that the Labour lady MP said about working class MPs. I read somewhere that in 1920s that around 70% of all Labour MPs were from a working class background that has now gone down to around 7%. That certainly seems to support this idea of a Political Class drawn essentially from the middle/upper classes. He said what's wrong with that but she replied with that they are, in effect, not in touch with general society. I believe that to be true look at Corbyn who I may well vote for if there is a snap election but he has done precious little in the normal workplace it has all been Unions/Politics. Given I did 40 years in Royal Mail I'm thinking of standing for Parliament!!!!!!
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am

Chobulous wrote:FFS he has spent his whole time in parliament up until he was made leader being a self indulgent prick with a 6th form debating soc. mentality. He is petulant when challenged on anything substantial and completely in thrall to the 4Ms. That is what is clear to me, a life long Labour supporter.
Agreed Chobulous, Corbyn has been a big disappointment to me too, lacks leadership qualities and seems tired and lacking in energy. His failure to turn up and campaign in the Referendum has proved costly but, notwithstanding, he's the best we've got.
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:24 am

Chobulous wrote:FFS he has spent his whole time in parliament up until he was made leader being a self indulgent prick with a 6th form debating soc. mentality. He is petulant when challenged on anything substantial and completely in thrall to the 4Ms. That is what is clear to me, a life long Labour supporter.
As much as I disagree with you, "self indulgent prick" wasn't listed among Clegg Hall's list of qualities he disliked about politicians.

It's a common theme for people to describe themselves as "lifelong Labour supporters" after attacking Corbyn. When Corbyn helped realign the party with its postwar principles, there would always be a few disaffected fans of Blair. Still, far more joined than have left.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

CleggHall wrote:Agreed Chobulous, Corbyn has been a big disappointment to me too, lacks leadership qualities and seems tired and lacking in energy. His failure to turn up and campaign in the Referendum has proved costly but, notwithstanding, he's the best we've got.
The media have built a lot of myths around Corbyn, but one of the most enduring is that he didn't campaign very hard during the referendum. He attended a hundred and twenty-three events, including sixty in twenty-two days, travelling twenty-seven hundred miles. That was more than the entire shadow cabinet combined, and six times more than Alan Johnson, who was the official Labour Remain Leader. Angela Eagle said he undertook a schedule that would exhaust a twenty-five year old. LIb Dems often claim he went on holiday for two weeks during the referendum, but this isn't true either. He just took a couple of days off to go to Guantanamo Bay to cuddle terrorists.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm

But never actually said which side he supported.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:20 pm

dougcollins wrote:But never actually said which side he supported.
https://labourlist.org/2016/04/europe-n ... on-the-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Corky wrote:I thought overall the programme was quite good. I would however have liked to have seen a little bit longer spent at the end on how we should go about reforming it. That appeared a bit rushed though in general I agreed with all his points. Interesting point that the Labour lady MP said about working class MPs. I read somewhere that in 1920s that around 70% of all Labour MPs were from a working class background that has now gone down to around 7%. That certainly seems to support this idea of a Political Class drawn essentially from the middle/upper classes. He said what's wrong with that but she replied with that they are, in effect, not in touch with general society. I believe that to be true look at Corbyn who I may well vote for if there is a snap election but he has done precious little in the normal workplace it has all been Unions/Politics. Given I did 40 years in Royal Mail I'm thinking of standing for Parliament!!!!!!
Yes it is a pity that the likes of Prescott and Johnson for example no longer seem to be in vogue as MPs. If you look at page 13 you can see MPs occupations:

file:///C:/Users/micha/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/3XIP36XG/CBP-7483.pdf

It seems in the period 1979-2017 manual workers have gone down from 98 to 19 whilst 'politician/political advisor' has gone up 21-107.

The difficulty of course is that being a politician has changed considerably. You have to be media savvy and unfortunately this means the need for a kind of identikit MP. There are a few 'freaks' like Boris Johnson and Kenneth Clarke that seem to retain there own personality but even the likes of Corbyn and Abbott have clearly been given media training of late. We don't for example seem to want to elect bald headed politicians anymore, so William Hague and Ian Duncan Smith had no chance.

In some ways we get the politicians we deserve.