ARTICLE: Roy Keane speaks out about two former Clarets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: ARTICLE: Roy Keane speaks out about two former Clarets

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Shame we didnt get Keane's advice on Walters before blowing our money on him 3 years ago. Keane definitely has his number...."bluffer"

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I’d say Ball’s was a horribly mistimed challenge. Gayle’s was horrible. Spooner eventually successfully sued us.
Horribly mistimed ?
Really ?
I thought he timed it perfectly given it was deliberate. He was a million miles away from the ball.

I can’t remember whether Gayle’s was deliberate or not. I don’t remember the challenge much either - I remember the aftermath more and the fact it ended Spooners career. I would be very surprised if it was as bad a challenge as the Kevin Ball one.
Look at some of the disgraceful challenges Souness did - nobody sued him. I remember for Rangers he deliberately miscontrolled the ball and then made one of the worst fouls I have ever seen.
Roy Keane’s on Haaland was a disgrace - not only was it premeditated - he’d been planning it for months !

Going back to the original OP I agree Roy Keane is a disgrace. He’s a nasty man with a massive chip on his shoulder about everyone and everything. Great player but sh-ite at everything else in life. He would never say it to John Walters face because he knows he’d be on the floor before he finished his sentence
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Funkydrummer

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Shame we didnt get Keane's advice on Walters before blowing our money on him 3 years ago. Keane definitely has his number...."bluffer"
Perhaps some people are taking a light-hearted irish TV programme a little too seriously. Though i still think Keane is an arse.
I have to say, I don't get the Jon Walters love in on here either.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:make your own mind up (around the 25 min mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXPEXvLufJ0
Playing to the crowd, but still a two hat.

Just wish he'd manage United - now that would make my day. :lol: :lol:

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:49 pm

In the middle of watching the whole show now - there's 2 parts, one where he talks about his departure at Man United, and then this hour and fifteen. There's been history between Walters and Keane for years listening to them both speak.

I liken this to the Kevin Pieterson interview on sky where Nasser said, Durban team, South African, Notts Captain, Straus, Flintoff, Swann, Prior, and on and on - do you ever step back and think is it me?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Let’s be honest Walters is crap though isn’t he.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Balls wasnt intentional? Hes admitted many times himself it was including at every post match speech when hes a guest at the turf.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:40 pm

dandeclaret wrote:In the middle of watching the whole show now - there's 2 parts, one where he talks about his departure at Man United, and then this hour and fifteen. There's been history between Walters and Keane for years listening to them both speak.

I liken this to the Kevin Pieterson interview on sky where Nasser said, Durban team, South African, Notts Captain, Straus, Flintoff, Swann, Prior, and on and on - do you ever step back and think is it me?
You don’t hear many things about Roy Keane from the likes of Stam, Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes, Sheringham and co.

It’s always the lesser players. Wonder why that is?

People in this country or the UK don’t like World Class athletes. Regardless of their personality. Not saying everyone is like that, but as a collective we tend to be.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I think he's a great pundit, just not very good at coaching/managing - no doubt due to his very poor man-management skills.
He’s a dreadful pundit. Provides no tactical analysis whatsoever. Just tries to say a few controversial things to keep up the persona.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Helmshore Claret

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am

He doesn't like players unless they are the type that kick the -hit out of the opposition. I wonder if he's on medication for his Anger Management issues, if not he should be.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:02 pm

Dyched wrote:You don’t hear many things about Roy Keane from the likes of Stam, Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes, Sheringham and co.

It’s always the lesser players. Wonder why that is?

People in this country or the UK don’t like World Class athletes. Regardless of their personality. Not saying everyone is like that, but as a collective we tend to be.

But Alex Ferguson doesn't have too much good to say about him either......

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:He’s a dreadful pundit. Provides no tactical analysis whatsoever. Just tries to say a few controversial things to keep up the persona.
Apparently he is punditing England Tomorrow....

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm

A very good player in his day but used the overtly aggressive ‘ in your face’ confrontations that makes most people back off due to a natural fear of psychopaths.

I say most people, it would have been interesting if he had tried it with a real hard man like Andy Lochhead.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Keane’s always been a gobshyte. He’s now an increasingly irrelevant gobshyte, seeing as he’s left the world of Football Management/Coaching, and is now a member of the Claptrapper’s Union.
Yesterday’s man.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Never mind Lochhead, John Deary would have sorted the bog trotting gobsh1te.
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 pm

for whatever people say, he has managed to end up with a two pager on here and a topic and article dedicated to him.

Certainly knows how to fish!

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 pm

I am glad up the clarets picked up on this .
It was all over the media here in Ireland and every one thinks it was so distasteful what the Tea boy ( sorry coach for the Irish at the time ) said .
Yep i hate the fecker and have done since Saipan . He is yesterdays news and has to come up with something to keep him in the public eye .
Will he ever work again in football ? My question would anyone be happy if he became the new Burnley manager .

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 am

Horrible vindictive sh1t of a man . Great player but seems to hate everyone and is blessed with an enourmous chip on his shoulder . His management career is awful and he’s a pundit because he’s Roy Keane. Seems to blame everything in life but himself . Seems to think he’s in a gypsy camp the way acts,talks and constantly grinds the axe. You wonder if he’s ever enjoyed anything in his life .Let’s hope karma pays a visit .

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 am

Keane is great to listen to, by far the best pundit on the box. I love him being controversial, much better than being bored Sh! tless by the likes of Lineker

Hope he doesn't go back into management (doubt anyone would want him) much prefer to see more of him on the TV.

I get he isn't everyones cup of tea but he is entertaining
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 cricketfieldclarets

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:35 am

Whenever I saw Keane in the tunnel waiting to lead Man.U. out, he never failed to engage the young mascot children. He always seemed to chat to them at their level and appeared to be genuine in his interaction with them. Many other skippers simply hold the kid's hand and walk out with them as if it's a job they have to do.

He's certainly a complex character.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am

Bullabill wrote:Whenever I saw Keane in the tunnel waiting to lead Man.U. out, he never failed to engage the young mascot children. He always seemed to chat to them at their level and appeared to be genuine in his interaction with them. Many other skippers simply hold the kid's hand and walk out with them as if it's a job they have to do.

He's certainly a complex character.
There’s good and bad in everyone, usually......

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:47 am

Top Claret wrote:Keane is great to listen to, by far the best pundit on the box. I love him being controversial, much better than being bored Sh! tless by the likes of Lineker

Hope he doesn't go back into management (doubt anyone would want him) much prefer to see more of him on the TV.

Agree with you there a proper character something the game is sadly missing these days.

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:27 am

Why was Keane such a terrible manager in some people's opinion? He's managed 2 clubs for 2 seasons each and won a championship title.
As for how he is as a person, like everyone else on here, I don't know, but I do remember him instigating the players remembering the late Jimmy Davis at the fa cup presentation ceremony.

The United squad changed into shirts bearing the name and squad number of Davis, killed in a road accident last August, for the Cup presentation.

"Nine months ago, we had a team-mate. We still think about him and we mention him regularly," said Neville.

"Hopefully, what we did today will make Jimmy's parents smile for a moment."

United skipper Roy Keane instigated the move, which Sir Alex Ferguson and the rest of the Red Devils camp were fully behind.

Roy Keane, Controversial definitely, horrible human being, who knows?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am

dandeclaret wrote:But Alex Ferguson doesn't have too much good to say about him either......
Fergie needed him more than anybody else in the team. When Keane was coming to the end Fergie had to get rid. Fergie has to be the “man”. There is no way he’d what a character like that around being a bit part player like Giggs/scholes.

His performance away at Juventus was truly the greatest I’ve ever seen. No current player could do that knowing their missing the final.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:54 pm

full video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_yckmKqazE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't get enough of the first hour; drags on a bit with the end at UTD but as a pro and a leader and someone who could do what Cloughy told him to do: control, pass, and run with the ball, there weren't many who came out on top during his time.
A nasty piece of work at times but raised, and kept, standards. One of those players you all wanted on your team and not be against

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Just imagine if we had Keane and Barton as our midfield duo

Christ ! - just stained my pants

That's going to take some explaining to the wife

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm

With thanks to Vegas Claret for posting the link - I really enjoyed watching that - Keane wipes the floor with Neville in terms of self-awareness and football intlelligence.

Not going to attempt to defend some of the things he has done and said but his achievements speak for themselves - it's a mistake to dismiss him on the basis of a few high-profile incidents that have cast him in a poor light - there's a lot more going on there than is obvious on the surface.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Dyched wrote:Fergie needed him more than anybody else in the team. When Keane was coming to the end Fergie had to get rid. Fergie has to be the “man”. There is no way he’d what a character like that around being a bit part player like Giggs/scholes.

His performance away at Juventus was truly the greatest I’ve ever seen. No current player could do that knowing their missing the final.
You're wasting your time on here with this lot. The irony about the hero status Barton gets on here whilst dismissing x10 the player and character Keane was says it all about the blinkered views of the uptheclarets faithful

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Keane is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League era. Without argument.

However, he is just an irrelevance now. He can’t manage, he can’t coach, he cant talk a good game on the tele. All he does is winge about soft players - he’s already a footballing dinosaur.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:He’s a dreadful pundit. Provides no tactical analysis whatsoever. Just tries to say a few controversial things to keep up the persona.
Rubbish.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Top Claret wrote:Keane is great to listen to, by far the best pundit on the box. I love him being controversial, much better than being bored Sh! tless by the likes of Lineker

Like I said further up the thread, so I agree.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:32 pm

The other side of the story?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JucrEtXZ5DA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 am

So basically Walters and Keane had a head to head in Keane’s office (handbags essentially with each goading each other). Walters says he offered Keane out even at Keane’s house if he preferred to which he declined. Keane now says that Walters has never shown up for the showdown etc.

Basically school kids type behaviour with Keane now stooping to the lowest of blows about his family stuff etc. To be fair to Walters he certainly hasn’t needed to stoop as low as Keane did.