Drink water injury

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Re: Drink water injury

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Don't need any more to add to the reserve squad anyway - it cost enough as it is

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Drinkwater injury

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:When are we desperate? But the manager & chairman have both explained it countless times why we can’t go early even though it would be better if we could.
Id say when we get to deadline day with 3 fit centre midfielders. One of whom has been poor for over 12 months, one of whom has been played out of position for 12 months and the other wasnt a regular until later on in those 12 months. Thats before mentioning assist and goal stats...

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Id say when we get to deadline day with 3 fit centre midfielders. One of whom has been poor for over 12 months, one of whom has been played out of position for 12 months and the other wasnt a regular until later on in those 12 months. Thats before mentioning assist and goal stats...
Drinkwater deal had been sorted the week before

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Even I had heard the Drinkwater deal was just waiting for the final bits to be sorted a few days before the signing - my Chelsea supporting mate (who has proper 'contacts') told me it was essentially a done deal with just who paid what to finalise.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Ashingtonclaret46

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Assaulted apparently according to the reliable Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... njury.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Would cost us more money, in some cases considerably more money, and/or we wouldn’t get the players at all who often won’t commit until later. It’s not just us, it’s only those who can throw money at it who can get in early.
As so it’s all about us being tight wads then? No surprise. There are plenty of other markets to sign players from, French leagues seem to have an abundant of exciting young players and the America’s. We just limit ourselves to meat and veg players from the championship and that IS the heart of the problem. Our recruitment whoever it may be ( I’m suspecting Dyche ) will not deviate in any way shape or form and then moan about it afterwards. It will bite us at some point. We are already running low on midfielders yet again.
These 5 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets claretfern jrgbfc yosserhughes BOYSIE31

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Right_winger wrote:As so it’s all about us being tight wads then? No surprise.
Absolutely not

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Right_winger wrote:As so it’s all about us being tight wads then? No surprise. There are plenty of other markets to sign players from, French leagues seem to have an abundant of exciting young players and the America’s. We just limit ourselves to meat and veg players from the championship and that IS the heart of the problem. Our recruitment whoever it may be ( I’m suspecting Dyche ) will not deviate in any way shape or form and then moan about it afterwards. It will bite us at some point. We are already running low on midfielders yet again.
Name another club who does better than Burnley in making signings. Not those with twice the income and rich sugar daddy owners; just those of similar size.

If your complaint was on the lines of "we are just about the best in the country for a club our size, but it could be even better ..." then you might be worth listening to. But complaints on the grounds of "this is rubbish" are worthless.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Id say when we get to deadline day with 3 fit centre midfielders. One of whom has been poor for over 12 months, one of whom has been played out of position for 12 months and the other wasnt a regular until later on in those 12 months. Thats before mentioning assist and goal stats...
At risk of bringing a little accuracy into the conversation, you are I presume unaware that Westwood has played 45 of Burnley's last 49 Premier League games up to the start of this season? And those 49 league games weren't all played int he latter end of the last year, in case you are wondering.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:42 pm

dsr wrote:Name another club who does better than Burnley in making signings. Not those with twice the income and rich sugar daddy owners; just those of similar size.

If your complaint was on the lines of "we are just about the best in the country for a club our size, but it could be even better ..." then you might be worth listening to. But complaints on the grounds of "this is rubbish" are worthless.

I’m interested, who would you class as being a comparable to Burnley in a finance sense?

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:49 pm

MRG wrote:I’m interested, who would you class as being a comparable to Burnley in a finance sense?
Nobody. No other club at present is in the Premier League without a sugar daddy or a much bigger support. (I suppose you could argue for Norwich.)

That's rather the point. we are doing better than any other club of our size, and we aren't doing that by being incompetent at transfer dealings.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 am

I'm interested in how and where he got assaulted. I really hope it didn't happen in the Burnley area.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:49 am

Right_winger wrote:So if this is true does that mean the Transfer window was a poor one again?
The only clubs who have poor transfer windows are those who either get relegated or finish below genuine expectations such as one of the bigger clubs.

When we finished 7th it could be said we had the perfect transfer window

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:59 am

Spijed wrote:The only clubs who have poor transfer windows are those who either get relegated or finish below genuine expectations such as one of the bigger clubs.

When we finished 7th it could be said we had the perfect transfer window
Your missing the point, as a team we haven’t improved our starting XI in nigh on 3 years now. That is a failure in transfer dealings and this WILL catch up with us.

We already have the oldest squad in the premier league as it is. 28.8 I believe is the average age.

If you are going to argue that this window wasn’t bad then you are wrong, it’s not even defendable.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:56 am

Right_winger wrote:Your missing the point, as a team we haven’t improved our starting XI in nigh on 3 years now. That is a failure in transfer dealings and this WILL catch up with us.

We already have the oldest squad in the premier league as it is. 28.8 I believe is the average age.

If you are going to argue that this window wasn’t bad then you are wrong, it’s not even defendable.
It’s you who is missing the point.
Which bit of the last several years did you miss ? The transfer policy has been explained by the club and manager many many times. To describe them as “tight wads” is the kind of language a 6 year old would use.

We got to the Premier league against all the odds and under the same board / financial strategy and we have stayed there a lot longer again against all the odds. Other clubs have spent fortunes to get there and fortunes when they got there and still been relegated.
Are you seriously going to be one of those “told you so” people when we do eventually get relegated ? I’ll save you a job and tell you we will get relegated - just like all the other 50 teams who have played in this league and been relegated - only 6 clubs have never gone down.
When it does eventually happen it will end the most successful period for the club in the last 60 years. Successful on the pitch and off it and leave us with a legacy for many years.

I really don’t get why you and others keep on banging on about the transfer policy - it’s here to stay unless we get new owners. Just enjoy the fact that for whatever reason it’s worked brilliantly and even better we are making huge profits - if that’s not a win win i’m not sure what is.
These 10 users liked this post: Spijed Hibsclaret Ashingtonclaret46 ClaretTony Rileybobs Walt Down_Rover JohnMac Greenmile mybloodisclaret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am

TVC15 wrote:It’s you who is missing the point.
Which bit of the last several years did you miss ? The transfer policy has been explained by the club and manager many many times. To describe them as “tight wads” is the kind of language a 6 year old would use.

We got to the Premier league against all the odds and under the same board / financial strategy and we have stayed there a lot longer again against all the odds. Other clubs have spent fortunes to get there and fortunes when they got there and still been relegated.
Are you seriously going to be one of those “told you so” people when we do eventually get relegated ? I’ll save you a job and tell you we will get relegated - just like all the other 50 teams who have played in this league and been relegated - only 6 clubs have never gone down.
When it does eventually happen it will end the most successful period for the club in the last 60 years. Successful on the pitch and off it and leave us with a legacy for many years.

I really don’t get why you and others keep on banging on about the transfer policy - it’s here to stay unless we get new owners. Just enjoy the fact that for whatever reason it’s worked brilliantly and even better we are making huge profits - if that’s not a win win i’m not sure what is.
That's just it.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 am

dsr wrote:Nobody. No other club at present is in the Premier League without a sugar daddy or a much bigger support.
So to counter the op argument that it’s been a poor transfer window you are saying that we should actually compare against clubs in a similar situation to us yet whichever club he compared to would have been argued as you don’t believe there are any clubs similar to us?

Let me help you, every one of the clubs in our league are the clubs that we need to be comparable to. We have to improve year on year in the same way they all are and that is something that our currently recruitment team have failed to do for 3 seasons

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 am

MRG wrote:So to counter the op argument that it’s been a poor transfer window you are saying that we should actually compare against clubs in a similar situation to us yet whichever club he compared to would have been argued as you don’t believe there are any clubs similar to us?

Let me help you, every one of the clubs in our league are the clubs that we need to be comparable to. We have to improve year on year in the same way they all are and that is something that our currently recruitment team have failed to do for 3 seasons
So you are saying that we 'FAILED' to improve when we finished 7th?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am

MRG wrote:So to counter the op argument that it’s been a poor transfer window you are saying that we should actually compare against clubs in a similar situation to us yet whichever club he compared to would have been argued as you don’t believe there are any clubs similar to us?

Yet we are still in the Premier League - whilst as you say all the other teams are improving

Why do you think that is ?
Might it be because the players we already had at the club are improving ?
Might be because the manager continues to improve ?

How on earth do we keep on getting these players getting picked for England and being linked with big transfer moves when we are so bad at recruiting ?

It’s baffling isn’t it. Maybe we are just very lucky eh.
Or maybe the people running the club know more about what they are doing than some people give them credit for..

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... a-burnley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He wont play for us this year if ever

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am

theroyaldyche wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... a-burnley/

“There are fears he faces six weeks out”. Yet Burnley haven’t commented on the injury and The Sun don’t know how the injury occurred or what the injury is. That article is pure speculation and doesn’t reveal anything.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:44 am

Boden saying the hope is he's out for two weeks not six.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:46 am

MRG wrote:...every one of the clubs in our league are the clubs that we need to be comparable to. We have to improve year on year in the same way they all are and that is something that our currently recruitment team have failed to do for 3 seasons
If we are the one club which relative to it's peers has 'failed' to improve over the last three years, whilst everyone else has apparently been improved could you perhaps please explain how/why we're still in the EPL whilst nine of these more competently/successfully 'improved' teams (Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield, West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Boro and Sunderland) aren't still in the EPL showing us how to do it properly.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Down_Rover

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

dsr wrote:Name another club who does better than Burnley in making signings. Not those with twice the income and rich sugar daddy owners; just those of similar size.

We have 50 million signings sat on the sidelines not playing - so whos fault is this

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

dsr wrote:At risk of bringing a little accuracy into the conversation, you are I presume unaware that Westwood has played 45 of Burnley's last 49 Premier League games up to the start of this season? And those 49 league games weren't all played int he latter end of the last year, in case you are wondering.
Good point. He came in during those 12 months to plug a major injury gap. Point still stands

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am

I don’t understand how anyone can say we haven’t improved our squad since promotion to the PL and keep a straight face. We’ve improved season after season. This season’s squad is the strongest we’ve had in my lifetime without a shadow of doubt.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am

TVC15 wrote:It’s you who is missing the point.

Again we have £50 million signings playing no part in our 1st eleven - Dyche should be brought to account about this the next time he says no money at this club again.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am

Re my opening post and the smug reply from FIRTHY post 21 " He's only heard it" that is here say. Seeing it, would have been I witnessed it, which I didn't.
To DAVETHEVICAR and I " Must have heard it from a fellow pessimist and another poster who likes to have a moan at the club". Your another one, quick to have a dig at my OP, but not prepared to comment on here when I was right and your wrong. No this time, your the moaner and the pessimist.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am

I think it is the last 4 windows that have been the problem. If you compare our signings of the last 4 windows with the previous 4 then you see there is a fair drop off which I think is being bridged by the brilliant leadership and squad management of Dyche
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 am

theroyaldyche wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... a-burnley/

I said it was a panic signing on the day he signed - nothing will change my mind

Will be lucky if he plays one game before January.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:We have 50 million signings sat on the sidelines not playing - so whos fault is this
Probably the players who are playing well enough to keep them out of the starting eleven.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 am

Rileybobs wrote:I don’t understand how anyone can say we haven’t improved our squad since promotion to the PL and keep a straight face. We’ve improved season after season. This season’s squad is the strongest we’ve had in my lifetime without a shadow of doubt.

Our second 11 which was 55 million got tubbed from Sunderland reserves - bored of people saying its the strongest squad every assembled - its not and plenty of cash has been wasted

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am

So we've got a 80+ post thread arguing about whether he was a good buy based on completely unfounded speculation that hasn't been confirmed by anyone within the club, about an injury that may well turn out to be as a result of an assault and therefore completely unforeseen by the club.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:56 am

Grimsdale wrote:Probably the players who are playing well enough to keep them out of the starting eleven.

No the players brought in were no better - and that has been the major problem for 3 seasons - spunked money away yet Dyche has the cheek every window to go record as saying no money at this club - thank god our board have seen his failings and not given him more.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:I said it was a panic signing on the day he signed - nothing will change my mind

The ideal would be if he plays no games at all before January, because that would mean he wasn't needed. The ideal is that the fist XI keep playing and keep winning, while the reserves aren't needed.

But a word of warning - if that does happen, it still isn't appropriate to slag off the manager for signing reserves. You have to have reserves, even if it turns out they weren't needed.

And as for the value ofthe bench, so what? Yes, if you expect the manager to sign only players who are better than what we have, and only players who can walk straight into the team, and never sign a dud, then you will always have plenty of things to criticise any manager in the world for. If you were a city fan, you would be slagging off Guardiola for his failed signings.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:I think it is the last 4 windows that have been the problem. If you compare our signings of the last 4 windows with the previous 4 then you see there is a fair drop off which I think is being bridged by the brilliant leadership and squad management of Dyche
True. But it’s Dyche’s job to get the best out of the players at his disposal. And whilst I’m sure he is frustrated at times at the difficulties we face in the transfer market - it’s fairly obvious to me that he would rather improve what we have and work with the players that he trusts than splash a load of cash. This is evident by how difficult new signings find it to break into the starting eleven.

The problem is, a lot of the more challenged posters on here see squad improvement purely as signing replacement players. With Dyche it’s clear that the squad is equally improved by good coaching.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Our second 11 which was 55 million got tubbed from Sunderland reserves - bored of people saying its the strongest squad every assembled - its not and plenty of cash has been wasted
Go one then, name one team, just one which has never spent money on players who, for whatever reason haven't done as well as expected?

And name one, just one team that has done better than us in the Premier league when comparing like for like?

I'll give you till the end of the season as they currently don't exist!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:59 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:I said it was a panic signing on the day he signed - nothing will change my mind

Even if someone with a little inside knowledge, like CT, confirms that talks were taking place at least a week before the transfer?

It takes a special kind of fool to not change his stubborn mind when presented with evidence to the contrary.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Our second 11 which was 55 million got tubbed from Sunderland reserves - bored of people saying its the strongest squad every assembled - its not and plenty of cash has been wasted
It is the strongest squad in my lifetime. Absolute fact. I’m 34 - care to name a stronger squad that we’ve had in that time?

When we spend £55m on players to fill the bench do you not think that shows how we might find it difficult to sign players who are good enough to walk into and improve our starting eleven?
This user liked this post: LoveCurryPies

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am

dsr wrote:The ideal would be if he plays no games at all before January, because that would mean he wasn't needed. The ideal is that the fist XI keep playing and keep winning, while the reserves aren't needed.

But a word of warning - if that does happen, it still isn't appropriate to slag off the manager for signing reserves. You have to have reserves, even if it turns out they weren't needed.

And as for the value ofthe bench, so what? Yes, if you expect the manager to sign only players who are better than what we have, and only players who can walk straight into the team, and never sign a dud, then you will always have plenty of things to criticise any manager in the world for. If you were a city fan, you would be slagging off Guardiola for his failed signings.

How much in wages ?? 1 million ha

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 am

Rileybobs wrote:Even if someone with a little inside knowledge, like CT, confirms that talks were taking place at least a week before the transfer?

It takes a special kind of fool to not change his stubborn mind when presented with evidence to the contrary.

I suppose CT was in on the transfer talks as well :lol: :D some gullible people on here
This user liked this post: ropecatchmonkey

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

dsr wrote:The ideal would be if he plays no games at all before January, because that would mean he wasn't needed. The ideal is that the fist XI keep playing and keep winning, while the reserves aren't needed.

City change their side each week - we dont

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:No the players brought in were no better - and that has been the major problem for 3 seasons - spunked money away yet Dyche has the cheek every window to go record as saying no money at this club - thank god our board have seen his failings and not given him more.
The "problem" is that to buy players that would significantly improve our starting eleven would cost more in wages and transfer fees than we are willing or able to pay.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

Rileybobs wrote:It is the strongest squad in my lifetime. Absolute fact. I’m 34 - care to name a stronger squad that we’ve had in that time?

When we spend £55m on players to fill the bench do you not think that shows how we might find it difficult to sign players who are good enough to walk into and improve our starting eleven?

No they should not have been signed as not good enough - we needed better and still do

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

Tall Paul wrote:The "problem" is that to buy players that would significantly improve our starting eleven would cost more in wages and transfer fees than we are willing or able to pay.

Not really if you look further than the north west

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

Rileybobs wrote:“There are fears he faces six weeks out”. Yet Burnley haven’t commented on the injury and The Sun don’t know how the injury occurred or what the injury is. That article is pure speculation and doesn’t reveal anything.
Daily Mail are reporting two weeks.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:09 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Not really if you look further than the north west
Absolute rubbish.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:10 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:I suppose CT was in on the transfer talks as well :lol: :D some gullible people on here
There maybe are some people gullible on here but there are also some damn fools who only ever want to make snide comments about the club.

Was I involved in the transfer talks? - NO
Did I know about it? - YES
Am I sick to the back teeth of your snide comments? - YES
Are others sick to the back teeth of your nonsensical comments? - IT APPEARS SO
These 3 users liked this post: Paulclaret Bosscat dsr

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 am

ClaretTony wrote:Daily Mail are reporting two weeks.
So, one game !!

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 am

Why on earth does anyone keep engaging with Boysie?