LG TV arc into Yamaha av receiver?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

LG TV arc into Yamaha av receiver?

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I swapped my LG TV recently and plugged everything back the same as it was on the old LG TV. The TV ARC says connected to receiver but then no signal . Cannot get the sound to come through , I have checked the hdmi with another TV everything is fine . I switch the Yamaha on and it says connected straight away on TV but then no signal if I want to watch fire stick or DVD .

Could it be my 8 year old hdmi leads buried in the wall are not compatible with new TV.

Could anybody recommend an TV av person to help?

I would rather die in a ditch than not have fire stick and surround sound by a week tomorrow!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Re: LG TV arc into Yamaha av receiver?

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 pm

See if this helps.
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio ... annel-arc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:54 pm

Right both are arc compatible and hdmi is ok .

No I'm stumbled.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2630 times
Has Liked: 6440 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Have you got the option of connecting your AV receiver into you TV using an optical cable? If so, do it - it will be much better than ARC via HDMI

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 pm

ARC is typically like this, try turning HDMI CEC off completely on both AVR and TV. Then turn both off at the plug for a few minutes and try again.

Sometimes it can take some unplugging and re-plugging to work, sometimes it can just be stupid combinations causing the issue like one cable may work with one TV but not another.

Make sure you are connecting the HDMI to the ARC HDMI designated port on the rear of the TV and check the manual to make sure you have everything set up in the settings.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Have you got the option of connecting your AV receiver into you TV using an optical cable? If so, do it - it will be much better than ARC via HDMI
Just 3 hdmi leads buried in the wall!

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 pm

superdimitri wrote:ARC is typically like this, try turning HDMI CEC off completely on both AVR and TV. Then turn both off at the plug for a few minutes and try again.

Sometimes it can take some unplugging and re-plugging to work, sometimes it can just be stupid combinations causing the issue like one cable may work with one TV but not another.

Make sure you are connecting the HDMI to the ARC HDMI designated port on the rear of the TV and check the manual to make sure you have everything set up in the settings.
Definitely connected to arc. It let's me know when I switch Yamaha on. But then connected no signal.

Last LG TV worked fine swapped one for another expecting no issue.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 pm

I have a similar set up with HDMI cables chased into the wall. Is there not a setting on your AV receiver that needs to be changed?

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:57 am

Bfcboyo wrote:Definitely connected to arc. It let's me know when I switch Yamaha on. But then connected no signal.

Last LG TV worked fine swapped one for another expecting no issue.
It's hard to help with this kind of problem since descriptions only in text can be very bleak.

The fact a previous LG worked and the fact it let's you know (what let's you know?) May not help or be significant to solving the issue.

Make sure for certain the cable is plugged into the port designated for ARC at both ends, it will say ARC next to the HDMI port.

Then, once that's certain you can start the process of elimination, do what I said with the settings, turn everything off, start from scratch and try different cables if all else is lost.

ARC or anything related to HDMI CEC is supposed to be cross compatible but it can be a real pain to get working with some combinations. Things change a lot in the TV world so the fact that your old LG worked while this one doesn't means precious little.

If after trying this and you still have no success perhaps get in touch with the store where you bought the TV and see if you can pay someone to come set it up for you. In the worse case scenario you got unlucky and they just don't work well together, in which case it may be an idea at looking to upgrade your AVR which is advisable anyway if you have an older model using HDMI revision 1.4 as it won't support switching any uhd sources through it anyway. You'll be surprised how little that can cost, especially if you buy a second hand model a couple of years old.
A workaround would also be just using an optical connection but you'll lose being able to adjust the volume with the LG remote that way.

Edit#

And thinking of older receivers and uhd compatibly made me realise. If it's an uhd source you have plugged in to your AVR that you're trying to view on the TV it's probable it won't work at all. Sky Q for example needs HDMI v2 and HDCP v2.2 support or you'll get no picture. If you're working with an older receiver plug all you uhd sources direct into the TV.

Don't be fooled by some receivers too, there's lots that were sold a few years back that claimed 4k or uhd support but didn't fully support the HDMI revisions needed. If you let me know the model number I can check if its new enough or not.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 am

superdimitri wrote:
If after trying this and you still have no success perhaps get in touch with the store where you bought the TV and see if you can pay someone to come set it up for you. In the worse case scenario you got unlucky and they just don't work well together, in which case it may be an idea at looking to upgrade your AVR which is advisable anyway if you have an older model using HDMI revision 1.4 as it won't support switching any uhd sources through it anyway. You'll be surprised how little that can cost, especially if you buy a second hand model a couple of years old.
A workaround would also be just using an optical connection but you'll lose being able to adjust the volume with the LG remote that way.

Edit#

And thinking of older receivers and uhd compatibly made me realise. If it's an uhd source you have plugged in to your AVR that you're trying to view on the TV it's probable it won't work at all. Sky Q for example needs HDMI v2 and HDCP v2.2 support or you'll get no picture. If you're working with an older receiver plug all you uhd sources direct into the TV.

Don't be fooled by some receivers too, there's lots that were sold a few years back that claimed 4k or uhd support but didn't fully support the HDMI revisions needed. If you let me know the model number I can check if its new enough or not.
I bet it's this. I will post model no later. Thanks.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 am

Bfcboyo wrote:I bet it's this. I will post model no later. Thanks.
Think he could be right. Just to give an example about compatability issues. Just built my son a new PC and plugged his portable hard drive into the only free usb port left which happened to be the latest and fastest USB 3.2B When he tried transfering files it crawled along and it took forever to transfer files. Switched the hard drive to a an older USB 2.0 port and hey presto, the files transferred in seconds.

It does sound like a compatability issue. The signal is getting through but not all of it. If it still won't work with a different HDMI cable then you'll probably need to upgrade your receiver.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

superdimitri wrote:It's hard to help with this kind of problem since descriptions only in text can be very bleak.

The fact a previous LG worked and the fact it let's you know (what let's you know?) May not help or be significant to solving the issue.

Make sure for certain the cable is plugged into the port designated for ARC at both ends, it will say ARC next to the HDMI port.

Then, once that's certain you can start the process of elimination, do what I said with the settings, turn everything off, start from scratch and try different cables if all else is lost.

ARC or anything related to HDMI CEC is supposed to be cross compatible but it can be a real pain to get working with some combinations. Things change a lot in the TV world so the fact that your old LG worked while this one doesn't means precious little.

Edit#

I should have thought of this. I had exactly the same issue when I got a new UHD tv. My previous Onkyo AV receiver which was an expensive piece of kit didn’t support 4K. I ended up downgrading to a new Pioneer AV receiver but as it was a new model it supported 4K. Fortunately O had already made sure that the HDMI cables I had chased into my wall supported 4K - as that could also be your other issue.

To eliminate this, Could you not connect your cable directly from the tv to your 4K source (Sky Q box or whatever) and bypass the AV receiver to see if you get a picture. This would determine whether the cables or the receiver don’t support it.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 pm

superdimitri wrote:It's hard to help with this kind of problem since descriptions only in text can be very bleak.

Edit#

Model no.
Yamaha av receiver htr-3066

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 pm

That's almost certainly why you'll get no picture if you are trying to switch an uhd source through the receiver to the TV. You need a new AVR. Yours supports "4k passthrough" but doesn't meet the minimum requirements of HDMI v2.0 and HDCP v2.2 of many uhd sources.

You can connect direct to the TV and use ARC or optical to return sound from the TV back to your AVR in the mean time but it won't be ideal.

I assume that's your problem and it actually doesn't have anything to do with HDMI CEC and ARC not working.

Are you trying to use SkyQ or similar?

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:29 pm

superdimitri wrote:That's almost certainly why you'll get no picture if you are trying to switch an uhd source through the receiver to the TV. You need a new AVR. Yours supports "4k passthrough" but doesn't meet the minimum requirements of HDMI v2.0 and HDCP v2.2 of many uhd sources.

You can connect direct to the TV and use ARC or optical to return sound from the TV back to your AVR in the mean time but it won't be ideal.

I assume that's your problem and it actually doesn't have anything to do with HDMI CEC and ARC not working.

Are you trying to use SkyQ or similar?
just the firestick and dvd player at the moment

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 am

Then you'll have to try what I posted in my first reply. If the fire stick is the uhd model you'll need it hooked up to the TV.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am

I am impressed by the knowledge and help given, as always, on this board. It is one of our great strengths.