Guiding Me Home and Away:Dave Thomas

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Guiding Me Home and Away:Dave Thomas

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Sunday Times: Dave Thomas: the ex-England footballer raising thousands for guide dogs after going blind

and on-line version at 6pm Saturday evening.

David Walsh, Chief sports writer, The Sunday Times

Dave Thomas sits in the living room of his home on the edge of Lartington village in Durham. He was born not far from here in West Auckland and came into being with a zest for life he’s never lost. You see it in a smile undimmed by the decades, in a body that he still takes for a run on most days.
Though it’s late in the evening and we’re indoors, he wears dark glasses. He was once a very good footballer. Take yourself inside Turf Moor on May 13, 1967. That Saturday afternoon he made his debut for Burnley in the old First Division. At 16 years and 220 days he was the youngest player to start a first-team game for the club in the top flight. That still holds. The following season Don Revie, then manager of Leeds United, described Thomas as the brightest talent in England and possibly Europe.

A winger, he was fast, skilful and an excellent crosser. He spent seven seasons at Burnley, mostly good times that ended with a move in 1972 to Queens Park Rangers. The London club was then in the old Second Division but four years later they slugged it out with Liverpool for the First Division title. By a single point, they lost.

Eight times he played for England, inset. People said it should have been more. Not him. After QPR he went to Everton and was provider-in-chief for Bob Latchford. That was the late summer of his career. Autumn wasn’t so good; Wolves, Vancouver Whitecaps, Middlesbrough and finally Portsmouth: stopping points on the road to somewhere else.

The dark glasses shield his eyes. His damned eyes that no longer do what they’re meant to do. He remembers the jolt that foretold the rest. He and his wife Brenda were at Epsom on Oaks day, walking among the crowd. “I went through this tunnel and suddenly felt panic, as if I couldn’t stop myself walking into people. I said to Brenda, ‘You’re going to have to get me out of here, there’s too many people’. She took me back to this tent, where I sat on a chair and had a drink. Then I just needed to get out of there and Brenda took me back to our daughter Helen, who lives in Epsom. I realised then I had a problem. I didn’t want to be where there were lots of people.”

He tries to describe how it felt. Think of the horse that has been fitted with blinkers, so it only sees what is directly in front of it. Or place your open hands to the sides of your eyes, eliminating your peripheral vision. Then try to walk through crowds of people.

Glaucoma is a serious disease that can damage the optic nerve and lead to the loss of peripheral vision and eventually blindness. Things gradually got worse for Thomas. “Your fan mail’s here,” Brenda said one morning in 2008. There had always been a few, a Burnley, QPR or Everton supporter wanting to remind him of somebody he’d once been. That morning there was a brown envelope. Inside, a letter from the DVLA. “Dear Mr Thomas, We are sorry to inform you that you are unable to drive again.” At that very moment he’d been about to leave for Bishop Luffa school in Chichester, where he was a PE teacher. How would he get to work? How would he drive the boys at the school to their various matches?

And so began the rest of his life. His sight deteriorated and the day soon came when he was officially registered as a blind person. This is not to say he can see nothing, because he can still make out what is directly in front of him, close to the television he can see it’s a football game and know what is happening. It is all the things he can’t see that must now be reckoned with. While he tells matter-of-factly of the things he must look out for, a golden Labrador sits nearby, occasionally turning its head as if to check that he is OK. He is the first former professional footballer to be given a guide dog. Nodding towards her, he begins to sob. “We have been together for two and a half years.” He cannot speak about Hannah without getting emotional. “Before she came to me, I couldn’t really live an independent life. That’s what she’s given me, independence, I’ve been to London on my own, I’ve been on the Underground on my own. But I couldn’t have done it on my own.

“Most Mondays I go into Barnard Castle, I go to the vet and get her weighed. You’ve got to be very disciplined with them because they are central to your life. Before I got Hannah, it was, ‘Brenda, can you take me into Barnard Castle; Brenda, can you take me to the bus stop?’ Now I set off and Hannah will take me straight to the bus stop. When we’re walking and we get to a kerb, she will stop and wait for my command. I will listen and my command is ‘forward’ but I’ve got to stop and listen. If a car is coming along and I still want to go forward, she won’t go. She enables me to feel safe when I’m out and about.”

On London’s Underground, strangers constantly spoke to him, wanting to know about Hannah. They noticed that though Hannah sat quietly, she rarely took her eyes off her owner. Once somebody told him it was like the dog was in love with him. “I think she is. I can feel her eyes on me. Maybe she is responding to my need for her. She has landed a great home, but she deserves it because she is special. Wherever I go, she goes.”

I ask if he can compare how he felt the day he was first called up to the England squad with the moment he was told he would get a guide dog. “You set off on your football journey, you try to improve, then you move on to something else. This dog will stick with me for the rest of her life, or the rest of my life. That’s the best way I can describe it. One is temporary, the other is permanent.”

He sobs as he recalls his father’s battle with glaucoma; he became totally blind before the end. “I don’t know what the future holds regarding my sight. I cope with it. I am very positive. Hannah sleeps on her bed on the floor beside our bed. She won’t get up in the morning until I get up, I can’t explain how good she is.”

Since Hannah came along, Thomas and Brenda set about raising money for Guide Dogs for the Blind. Their £75,000 has meant 15 more guide dogs. When offered the chance to write a book about his story, he said he would do it on condition the proceeds from the book would go to Guide Dogs. (Guiding Me Home & Away will be published later this month).

To understand how Thomas, 68, has dealt so positively with the loss of his sight, think of him as he was at 15. A kid who, with his dad’s advice, agreed to a £4-a-week-plus-digs deal to join Burnley and who, with his dad, then refused a counter-offer of £30 a week plus a £2,000 signing-on fee from Leeds United — £2,000 would have bought four houses on the street where they lived in West Auckland. Here’s the remarkable part. He was 33 when his career ended. No regrets. He’d earned good money and set aside enough for a decent pension. Brenda was a teacher and that helped. Wondering what to do with the rest of his life, he leant towards what he was passionate about. He’d always loved to see things grow — grass, hedges, carrots, asparagus.

He bought himself a 1958 Morris Minor van, so old and unloved it had grass growing in the boot. Trimming the grass, he set off on a new life as a £4-an-hour gardener, not telling any of his new customers he’d once played football for England. Of course one thing leads to another and when he was offered the chance to retrain as a PE teacher he seized it. The loss of his sight destroyed that but he’s got on with it. Is still getting on with it. On a disused railway near his home he goes for the daily run. Ann Dent, a neighbour, walks the same route and carries clippers in her pocket, to cut away any low-lying branches that might catch him out. At the golf club he puts the ball on the tee and hits it. His buddies are his eyes.

He would like you to know that actually, he’s been fairly lucky.

Guiding Me Home and Away: The Autobiography by Dave Thomas is published by Hornet Books on September 26. For a special discount, Sunday Times readers should email info@hornetbooks.com and use code DTSUNDAYTIMES to order a copy of the illustrated hardback edition for £17.00 inc P&P
These 6 users liked this post: bfcmik africlaret CleggHall Rumpelstiltskin IanMcL HunterST_BFC

Paul Waine

Re: Guiding Me Home and Away:Dave Thomas

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:27 pm

I've got a reminder from my opticians for my annual eye check. My Dad had glaucoma. I'll ring on Monday to make my appointment.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Reading this makes me so glad that i decided to look after and train Guide dog puppies after my own dog passed way.. IWe have now looked after about 16 in total..
These 5 users liked this post: Paul Waine Ashingtonclaret46 ClaretTony HunterST_BFC Guitargeorge

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:39 pm

Always Liked Dave Thomas from the youth cup final to his first division days..socks always rolled down.Atb to Him.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 am

Very moving article so thanks for posting it. What a brilliant player he was and surely he deserved far more England caps. I look forward to reading his book.
All the best to you Dave.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 am

I’ve had the glaucoma test for many years now as my Mother suffered.
I believe it has become a standard in eye tests now and for such a simple check so it should.
Thanks to the OP, I’ll be ordering a copy.

Rumpelstiltskin
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 2712 times

Post by Rumpelstiltskin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Brilliant player Dave Thomas...Younger Clarets say Defour best they’ve seen in a Clarets shirt...You never saw Dave Thomas...And how incredible that he and his dad refused to allow Leeds to gazump Burnley ...
I will certainly be buying this book !
God Bless You Dave.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm

A heartwarming post - thanks.
Dave has borne the handicap bravely with little self pity. No doubt he shares his father's DNA, a man who believed his word was his bond. Great to see him play in the 60/70s and his sale to QPR was a big surprise. Good luck Dave.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 pm

I was fortunate enough to watch Dave. He must have been the best crosser of a ball ever to play in a Burnley shirt.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Brilliant player Dave Thomas...Younger Clarets say Defour best they’ve seen in a Clarets shirt...You never saw Dave Thomas...And how incredible that he and his dad refused to allow Leeds to gazump Burnley ...
I will certainly be buying this book !
God Bless You Dave.
Extract from the book - a second article in Sunday Times, today. This one under David Thomas by line.

Posted on-line some hours after I'd seen and posted the David Walsh's article.

Enjoy!

Leeds offered us enough to buy four houses but Dad said ‘No’

In this extract from his book, Dave Thomas recalls how Don Revie tried to sign him but his father would not budge

In the summer of 1966, I signed as a schoolboy footballer with Burnley. I was 15. That didn’t stop Leeds United trying to persuade my family that I should join them. Their manager, Don Revie, was in the early stages of building a great team at Elland Road that would go on to dominate English football in the early 1970s. Apparently, I was on his shopping list.

He must have seen me or been aware of me playing for England schoolboys but wanted a closer look at what I could do. Unknown to me, he came and watched me play for Durham in a county match. Afterwards he came to West Auckland, where we lived. In the house we sit down in the front sitting room with Mum and Dad. As Mum pours them a cup of tea, Don Revie speaks. “Mr Thomas,” he says, “I’ve been watching your David play today and we’d like him to come down to Yorkshire and sign for Leeds United.”

Straight away Dad responds: “Canna do that. Impossible. David’s just signed schoolboy forms for Burnley.” At that, Revie says: “Well, I think he can sign for us. There are ways and means of getting around that.” Dad was adamant that I was promised to Burnley. Revie wasn’t giving up. Before he got up to leave he says: “If you don’t mind I’ll come back up to West Auckland in 48 hours and bring my chairman with me.”

I was quite happy to go to Burnley and my dad wasn’t budging. I don’t think we actually expected Revie to come back but we were wrong. Two days later, I’m sorting through the post and I see through the front window there’s a Rolls-Royce pulling up outside our house.

Almost immediately, out come the neighbours to have a look as in through the front door come Mr Revie and his chairman Mr [Harry] Reynolds. I’m absolutely bricking it, wondering what the heck is going on. We sat down and Revie was quiet this time. Mr Reynolds did all the talking. Again, the same proposal: “We’d like to sign your David as an apprentice at Leeds.”

Again, the same answer from Dad: “We canna do that. David’s happy to go to Burnley. Aren’t you David?” “Yes, Dad,” I replied. Then there was a pause before Mr Reynolds spoke again. “Mr Thomas. Do you mind me asking — how much is your David going to get a week at Burnley?” Dad said proudly: “He’s getting £4 basic and he’s getting his digs paid for, so that would be worth about £8 total a week.”

Another pause, then Mr Reynolds responds: “If we give your David £30 a week basic and pay his digs how would that be?” Now Dad wasn’t earning that at the time, so anyone could see this was a fantastic offer. Before he could answer, Mr Reynolds reached down and pulled a briefcase on to his lap.

He opened the case and tilted it forward in front of us. The case was full of more money than we had ever seen in one place before. Inside was £2,000, all in spanking-new £5 notes. This was big money to us. I worked out that back in 1965 mum and dad’s house was probably worth about five-hundred quid, so the contents of that case would have bought three or four houses in our terraced street.

But still Dad wasn’t budging. “I’m a man of my word,” he said, “and David has to go to Burnley.” Well, Mr Reynolds knew that was it. But I’ll never forget what he did next. He reached into the case and pulled off a fiver from the piles of banknotes and handed it to my young brother. Then he turned to Dad and said: “I really admire your honesty Mr Thomas. I wish David well in his career.”

And that was that.

All the older posters on here will know that Burnley was one of the very best clubs for young, aspiring footballers to join in the 1960s.

Thank you, Mr Thomas.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 pm

he virtually delivered inch perfect crosses to bob latchford at everton all season for latchford to nod in, and get most goals in a season for the blues.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Dave Thomas was there when I first left school, got some funds and went on the train to the London games.

He was a player.

I remember a picture of him, sat on the bonnet of his new car, in Charles Buchan's Football Monthly.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 pm

I heard a story that sounds ludicrous. Someone on here can hopefully confirm or deny.
Dave never wore studded boots, even on the slippiest of pitches. Never heard a reason for this but the story always stuck.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 pm

IanMcL wrote:I remember a picture of him, sat on the bonnet of his new car, in Charles Buchan's Football Monthly.
This one, Ian?
9ECD1012-19E8-4F92-80AC-9E88BD7D171E.jpeg
9ECD1012-19E8-4F92-80AC-9E88BD7D171E.jpeg (152.67 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Always enjoyed watching him play, a very exciting player with the ball at his feet. Good dribbler, excellent crosser and a fierce shot. I can remember him cutting in from the left and smashing the ball into the Pompey net at Fratton Park many years ago. We won the game 2-0 and went on to win the Second Division but without Thomas. I was living in Hampshire at the time and was just about to go to uni up in Hull.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Great stuff TrickyT. That's the one. Young lad doing well for himself.