ARTICLE: Burnley leave it late to beat Preston

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

ARTICLE: Burnley leave it late to beat Preston

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am

Back to 1959 and the fifth game of the season sixty years ago

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-lea ... at-preston" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley leave it late to beat Preston

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

Many people turned out to see Tom Finney but he was nothing special on the night, Adam Blacklaw once again was star of the show, making some fantastic saves for us. Harry Potts made reference in the programme to the unsavoury gamemanship that was creeping into the game, perhaps forgetting his own reputation as a former player for 'diving' in and around the box.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:32 am

My dad used to say that Harry would throw himself so far he could be fouled in the centre circle and go down in the penalty box :D

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7175 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Harry was a diver. I didn't know that.
I am enjoying this series of articles. One small point: I know you are reporting the goal average, but at the top of the column you put gd, not ga.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Quicknick wrote:Harry was a diver. I didn't know that.
I am enjoying this series of articles. One small point: I know you are reporting the goal average, but at the top of the column you put gd, not ga.
I’ve corrected the goal average column
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Probably only right to say a few more words about Adam Blacklaw's form in those first six matches. He'd been nothing short of sensational and to be honest won us the points on more than one occasion. No doubt Adam was happy to take the plaudits but he knew (and admitted as much to me many years later) that we were not the finished article at that stage, although we were mighty close.

Potts had kept the same team for all six games so far and would do for a couple more but the balance wasn't quite right at the back. Without wanting to spoil ClaretTony's story too much that situation was about to be rectified with the introduction of an 18 year old at left-back and from that moment we never looked back.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Probably only right to say a few more words about Adam Blacklaw's form in those first six matches. He'd been nothing short of sensational and to be honest won us the points on more than one occasion. No doubt Adam was happy to take the plaudits but he knew (and admitted as much to me many years later) that we were not the finished article at that stage, although we were mighty close.

Potts had kept the same team for all six games so far and would do for a couple more but the balance wasn't quite right at the back. Without wanting to spoil ClaretTony's story too much that situation was about to be rectified with the introduction of an 18 year old at left-back and from that moment we never looked back.
And what a left back he was. 18, eh? I thought he was 19. You're probably right, though.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm

I never knew Frank O’Farrell had played for PNE and Gordon Milne was one of my favourite non-Clarets.

I’m enjoying these reports. Thanks, CT.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Quicknick wrote:And what a left back he was. 18, eh? I thought he was 19. You're probably right, though.
Remarkably he was still only 18 when he made his full international debut against Wales some 7 months later.

What a career he had ahead of him including 34 international matches whilst at Burnley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:I never knew Frank O’Farrell had played for PNE and Gordon Milne was one of my favourite non-Clarets.

I’m enjoying these reports. Thanks, CT.
I was surprised to see O’Farrell’s name there.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1996 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Stockwell Murgatroyd ex Chief Constable found hanged age 57. There must be more to that intriguing story line. Didn’t think that sort of thing happened in those days

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Stockwell Murgatroyd ex Chief Constable found hanged age 57. There must be more to that intriguing story line. Didn’t think that sort of thing happened in those days
It did

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 am

ClaretTony wrote:It did
But only often enough to be newsworthy...

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:59 am

Watching the rain pour down this morning it's hard to believe the drought situation that the town was in 60 years ago. The area was literally desperate for water and on the 9th September (exactly 60 years ago today) the Town Council, for the first time, considered the use of standpipes throughout the town in a bid to save one million gallons of water per day. Emergency plans were put in place to pump water from the Lake District and a letter sent to all local households listing 12 ways of conserving water.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am

Tom Finney was a great admirer of Jimmy Mac ( and vice versa). On his day he was indeed a brilliant player. To see both players one same pitch was something of a treat. Fred Else was a pretty good goalkeeper for Preston but never reached Blacklaw's standard.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am

Royboyclaret wrote:Watching the rain pour down this morning it's hard to believe the drought situation that the town was in 60 years ago. The area was literally desperate for water and on the 9th September (exactly 60 years ago today) the Town Council, for the first time, considered the use of standpipes throughout the town in a bid to save one million gallons of water per day. Emergency plans were put in place to pump water from the Lake District and a letter sent to all local households listing 12 ways of conserving water.
Maybe I'll need to revise future articles given it is all going on the message board first.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am

Suratclaret wrote:Tom Finney was a great admirer of Jimmy Mac ( and vice versa). On his day he was indeed a brilliant player. To see both players one same pitch was something of a treat. Fred Else was a pretty good goalkeeper for Preston but never reached Blacklaw's standard.
Jimmy Mac thought Finney was the absolute best. He said his best position was outside right but he was a left footer so you couldn't under any circumstances show him inside if you were the left back. He said the problem then was that he probably had the best right foot on the pitch so you had a problem if he went on the outside.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 am

I can’t remember Fred Else at PNE, just at Rovers, but wasn’t he involved in the altercation that led to Willie Morgan being sent off in the Battle of Ewood?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:I can’t remember Fred Else at PNE, just at Rovers, but wasn’t he involved in the altercation that led to Willie Morgan being sent off in the Battle of Ewood?
I can only remember Else at Blackburn

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

According to Wiki, Else played more games for PNE than Blackburn. He was transferred to Blackburn in 1961.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am

Suratclaret wrote:According to Wiki, Else played more games for PNE than Blackburn. He was transferred to Blackburn in 1961.
He did - but I never saw us play Preston in the top flight but remember him playing against us for Blackburn

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 am

Talking of leaving it late to beat Preston, this piece of wonderfulness happened nine years ago today.

https://youtu.be/BdI6Phi5RYE

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:I can’t remember Fred Else at PNE, just at Rovers, but wasn’t he involved in the altercation that led to Willie Morgan being sent off in the Battle of Ewood?
Mike England was certainly involved as Morgan kicked out at him. From my recollection, viewing from low-down on the Riverside, both players were way outside the penalty area, so I'm not sure how Else was involved.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

Quicknick wrote:Mike England was certainly involved as Morgan kicked out at him. From my recollection, viewing from low-down on the Riverside, both players were way outside the penalty area, so I'm not sure how Else was involved.
It was Morgan & England I think. England was always public enemy number one.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am

England was sent off at Turf Moor in our 3-0 win on a Tuesday night match in Oct. 63. As for the Preston game I went with my dad who told me all about Tom Finney but as a 7 year old I only had eyes for one man in a claret and blue shirt with a No 8 on the back. I'd only attended my first ever game some 10 months previous and had definitely not been to every home game since but I was mesmerised by Jimmy Mc and continued to be so for the next few seasons. I can recall being behind for what seemed a long time in the match but once the equaliser came there was little doubt in my mind that we would conjure up a winner. Always felt like that as a youngster especially with that magician in our team.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Quicknick wrote:Mike England was certainly involved as Morgan kicked out at him. From my recollection, viewing from low-down on the Riverside, both players were way outside the penalty area, so I'm not sure how Else was involved.
It was the return match, in the season when Rovers started late because of the polio outbreak. They came to us and surprised everybody by playing England at CF. He scored 2 in their 4-1 win. We got our revenge down there though, 2-0 and Ralph Coates sitting on the ball. The polio setback did see them relegated, so it wasn’t all bad news.