Combi boiler fitter required - any recommendations?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfield73
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Combi boiler fitter required - any recommendations?

Post by cricketfield73 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello UTCers, as per the title.
Could anyone recommend a good tradesperson? I've got the boiler, just looking for an installer.
Thank you.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Re: Combi boiler fitter required - any recommendations?

Post by Vintage Claret » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Ian Spedding 07597709898
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfield73 The Enclosure

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 321 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but there are so many combi boilers out there, I would like to know people's opinions/experience with different makes/models......might help me make the right choice.
Thanks

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

A second recommendation for Ian Spedding. Ex British Gas and trained as an apprentice under my step father. Who coincidentally is also called Spedding but no relation to Ian.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Worcester Bosch...expensive but excellent.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Eloise Laws wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but there are so many combi boilers out there, I would like to know people's opinions/experience with different makes/models......might help me make the right choice.
Thanks
Had a new one fitted a year ago this week - got quotes for a Worcester Bosch and a Baxi. The Worcester was more expensive but I took advice from a friend of mine who had worked in that area for years and he suggested the Baxi. Said both were excellent but there was such a price difference.

Had no problems with it and it will be getting its first annual service very soon.

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:53 pm

If you need a qualified boiler fitter let me know recommended but in bury .

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Another shout for Ian Spedding...a good lad.

Ps.you will not go far wrong with a Baxi combi boiler.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

If you are replacing a traditional boiler with a combi then please be aware that combi boilers are much more fussy about the water pressure in the central heating system. I have just had a combi boiler fitted (which is great by the way) but it has highlighted some leaks under our downstairs concrete floor!! The old boiler used to bubble and gurgle a lot which it now appears was down to the leaks under the floor, but it still worked. The new combi boiler shuts off if water pressure gets too low. In the end we are having to re pipe the downstairs part of our system -a very expensive extra after paying a lot for the new boiler in the first place.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 321 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, we have an ageing Baxi Combi at the moment, and we're undecided whether to replace like for like or try a different make. Every heating engineer/fitter seems (not suprisingly) to have their own favourites!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Baxis are a good robust model and I rate them. Worth also fitting a Magnaflow as some warranties are extended if you have one installed, also the crap they pull out of the system to keep your boiler in top working order is pheneominal.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

my advice would be to get your fitter first and take his recommendation.
Then get your boiler online. If you get the boiler first and he isnt comfortable fitting it then it could get expensive and you want your fitter on your side for future servicing etc.
I did this 6 years ago and bought an ideal logic which my fitter recommended. I paid 800 online but it was 1200 at local plumbers. Job went spot and its been a great boiler with no issues.
his bill for plumbing my entire house not inc parts was only 1100 quid.

Asbury Park
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Asbury Park » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm a gas safe registred installer. Baxi, Worcester and Vailant are all good, dependable boilers. Avoid Heatline, Ferroli and Biasi like the plague, you'll have nothing but problems with them. Also make sure whoever installs your boiler fits a magnetic filter as most manufacturers require one for the warranty.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Had a new one fitted a year ago this week - got quotes for a Worcester Bosch and a Baxi. The Worcester was more expensive but I took advice from a friend of mine who had worked in that area for years and he suggested the Baxi. Said both were excellent but there was such a price difference.

Had no problems with it and it will be getting its first annual service very soon.
Just had a new boiler after my place in Barrowford was struck by lightening which did untold damage to various devices and circuit boards in the house ! Anyway my experience was exactly as CTs with the engineer recommending the Baxi. So far so good and it's quieter the the Worcester Bosch which was there before. 7 year warranty. I used Wilkin Heating and Plumbing who are based in Barnoldswick and they were excellent.