Arise Sir Geoffrey...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Arise Sir Geoffrey...

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Good to see him true to form on his radio interview.

‘I don’t give a toss........’

Spoken like a true knight of the realm. Well done Geoffrey, now you can crawl back under your stone....

Watching him batting with Tavare was enough to send a glass eye to sleep....
We was just having lunch and a big booming Yorkshre voice came over on the news on the radio, " I don't give a toss" the wife who probably doesn't know the fella from Adam commented...." He's not doing himself many favours is he"
Great batsmen but an absolute dickhead!
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Sausage wrote:He's a proud Yorkshireman. I wish a few more people were proud of their roots.

I've just given you two examples. But to help you along I'll also point out that he's one of England's greatest cricketers, has given a lifetime's service to Yorkshire CCC including coaching youngsters, done a lot of charity work (a lot of which hasn't been publicised) and travelled the world promoting test cricket as the highest form of the game. He's hardly done naff-all.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, particularly as many of those dinners will have been for charitable organisations.

There clearly is a comparison, as you've made one. You think Boycott is an arse compared with Botham.
So be proud of your roots and get knighted?

You gave 2 examples of charity work without confirming what he actually does. Perhaps if had walked all around the world we would know about it. Even his wiki page says nothing about charity work at all, which as unreliable as wiki is it suggests that charity is very much to the back of his priorities.

The comparison with Botham started with others on this thread. I initiated a comment about believing what Botham said about him...

I do think he is an arse...

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:One has earned 30m for charity and the other puts his name to Yorkshire blah blah blah...

What does he actually do? Appear at a few dinners spouting ‘could have caught that in me mother’s apron...’

There’s no comparison and nothing like blowing your trumpet whilst grafting hard for your charity....
Why must getting an honour mean that you have to be compared to somebody else?

Yes Botham has done a lot for charity and its great. Yes Boycott has not done too much for chairty but that is his prerogative. In the second test on Radio five he was discussing Boycotts Bitter which has him at the crease on the bottle and how a percentage of each bottle went to the Air ambulance. Now he said that other people will put there name to anything and he was constantly offered money to do that. But being thrifty and not a fan of anything too much he couldnt put his name to something which he didnt believe in 100%. He doesnt even like lager but when they said it would be to raise money for the Air Ambulance which is one cause he really believes in because of the underfunding he jumped at the chance. It was fun to listen to as the co commentator commented that there were no fans in the stands on the bottle as they knew Boycott was playing so had gone for a break as they knew nothing would be happening on the pitch.

I think he is as old school as they come and calls everything for what it is. This may put noses out of joint but I dont think he does it to harm anyone, he is just straight. I also think he is principled and hence why he would rather be called a wife beater than be cheated out of money.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:You only need to read Beefy’s comments about him on tour in India to realise how he played for himself and not the team. Add to this his wife beating etc there is no way this sad excuse of arrogance should be honoured.
Did Boycott ever get banned for illegal drug use? To me Botham smoking weed showed his selfishness and a disregard to his country
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Who’s comparing now?

You talk about comparing and now you are comparing so stop comparing please....

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Did Boycott ever get banned for illegal drug use? To me Botham smoking weed showed his selfishness and a disregard to his country
No he managed to bash his mrs about and decide himself to not play for England for 3 years....

Stop comparing to Botham please

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Obnoxious yakshire 2 hat.
If being from yakshire was not bad enough he’s a man united supporter to boot
Oh and let’s not compare wife beating to smoking a bit of weed.
Really don’t understand the honours system - Beefy was a proper cricketing hero and also did all that work for the lukemia charity.
Boycott bored the pants off everyone when he played and then spent the rest of his life falling out with everyone
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm

QE2 needs to be wary that he doesn't throw an uppercut as he arises.

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:09 pm

If never giving his wicket away and batting stubbornly to preserve it is a selfish trait and not playing for the team then we’ve all been doing it wrong ...he was an opener..that was his job and he did it brilliantly...his stats back that up...his commentary is honest,to the point ,sometimes brutal but always good to listen too
Considering he’s from Yarrrkshire I like the guy

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm

An awful lot of ignorant comment on here especially from people who haven't read the Telegraph article which goes back to 2015 ...

In addition, some ludicrous comments and statements from the usual suspects in the media and politics, again, who seem to have very little knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Boycott's case ...

The " victim " continued to share his bed during the holiday, then tried to blackmail him, and had huge debts from failing business ventures, and she saw Boycott as her " meal ticket " . The French judge ordered her compensation of 1 Franc !!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:23 pm

its alright for the dimwits to forget what Payton did very quickly and forgive him.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Who’s comparing now?

You talk about comparing and now you are comparing so stop comparing please....
Are you comparing his comparing to your comparing?

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:27 pm

If Boycott was a prominent remainer, then the usual suspects on this thread would be very quiet.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Clarets4me wrote:An awful lot of ignorant comment on here especially from people who haven't read the Telegraph article which goes back to 2015 ...

In addition, some ludicrous comments and statements from the usual suspects in the media and politics, again, who seem to have very little knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Boycott's case ...

The " victim " continued to share his bed during the holiday, then tried to blackmail him, and had huge debts from failing business ventures, and she saw Boycott as her " meal ticket " . The French judge ordered her compensation of 1 Franc !!
Quite a lot on here never let the truth get in the way of a good kicking for the Yorkshireman AC m8

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Not historically a massive cricket fan but Boycott gets me interested and makes me listen. He certainly knows the sport and I like his blunt offerings.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Clarets4me wrote:An awful lot of ignorant comment on here especially from people who haven't read the Telegraph article which goes back to 2015 ...

I read the article; “evidence” from a woman who the victim owed money to. Hardly impartial is it?

Anyway, done a search and can’t find anywhere that his conviction has been quashed so he remains guilty of assaulting a woman.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 pm

First things first, I don't support any "honours" or "lordships" for anyone. Yes, "well done in your civil service role," "well done as an MP," "well done as a business person/banker" and "well done for being good at a sport" etc etc etc - but let's not raise anyone's status above anyone elses just because that's how they've "made their living."

I was listening to R4 this morning when they brought Geoff Boycott on to congratulate him for his "sir." Then Martha Kearney asked "do you know why it took so long?" GB: "I don't know, it doesn't matter.... (or something similar), so MK: "is it because you of domestic abuse...." (again, I don't recall her exact words).

Wow, I thought, you invite GB on to congratulate him - it had already been mentioned several times on R4, including news - and you were really planning an "ambush" on a BBC colleague.

And, then it was the sports report - and whoever was handling this segment, just before 8:30, sounded equally shocked at how MK had "ambushed" on of their colleagues.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm

"He punched his girlfriend. Not once. Twenty times"

And it took him the best part of two days to do it
These 2 users liked this post: Gerry Hattrick Oshkoshclaret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

simply put, idiots forgive idiots as long as they do something the idiots like.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am

Yet he was still found guilty of assault.
If all the things you said were true then I imagine he would have been not guilty and that she would have been charged with blackmail.

How do you think the victim you put in inverted commas managed to get the judge to give a guilty verdict - do you think she blackmailed him too ? Or do you think there could have been some actual evidence or maybe even a witness ?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 am

And we all know that Courts, (especially foreign Courts) always get the verdicts correct with none of the guilty going free and none of the innocent being convicted.
Only two people know the truth and one of them has lied about what happened. The two people involved do not appear to be wanting to change their versions.
Joe Public IMO needs to back off as their opinions can count for nothing.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am

mdd2 wrote:And we all know that Courts, (especially foreign Courts) always get the verdicts correct with none of the guilty going free and none of the innocent being convicted.
Only two people know the truth and one of them has lied about what happened. The two people involved do not appear to be wanting to change their versions.
Joe Public IMO needs to back off as their opinions can count for nothing.
How on earth do you know that one of them has lied. Just because he says he’s innocent for 20 years does not mean he’s telling the truth. As said above he was convicted and to be convicted he could not prove his innocence so anything he spouts is all heresy.

To sum up he is racist for one
Can’t prove his innocence for two
Gets honoured with a knighthood and says ‘I don’t give a toss’ for three

Not exactly a pillar of society more like a pill0k of society

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 am

AndyClaret wrote:If Boycott was a prominent remainer, then the usual suspects on this thread would be very quiet.
Don't judge by your own standards

I think Boycott is a great cricketer, and a superb commentator. He's also got a conviction for hitting a lass twenty times. That should rule him out of any honours.

Pretty simple really.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 am

Get rid of the honours system! It's so divisive, particularly when folks such as civil servants get a knighthood merely by fulfilling their job description.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am

This thread shows there's been no change in thoughts about equal rights. That hitting a woman is far worse than a man?

There wouldn't be hardly anything said if he struck a man, Would there?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:This thread shows there's been no change in thoughts about equal rights. That hitting a woman is far worse than a man?

There wouldn't be hardly anything said if he struck a man, Would there?
He was convicted and is essentially a coward having hit a woman. Being a coward he would not likely have hit a man.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am

Hibsclaret wrote:He was convicted and is essentially a coward having hit a woman. Being a coward he would not likely have hit a man.
It's 2019, we're supposed to treat Women equally and therefore attacks on either gender should be treated the same.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:It's 2019, we're supposed to treat Women equally and therefore attacks on either gender should be treated the same.
Right, just change it to "20 punches to a man"

Still a good reason not to give him a knighthood I'd have thought

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:It's 2019, we're supposed to treat Women equally and therefore attacks on either gender should be treated the same.
This has no relevance to the case. He didn’t hit a man and was 20 years ago. Like I say I doubt he’d hit a man. No need for this to go down the equality route at all.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 am

Hibsclaret wrote:How on earth do you know that one of them has lied.
The man says "I didn't hit her". The woman says "he hit me". One of them must be lying.

I have doubts about witnesses who are violently assaulted and then go home with their attacker to spend some more time in very close proximity. If someone bashes you twenty times - albeit not hard enough to cause injury - would you go to bed with him or her next day?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

dsr wrote:The man says "I didn't hit her". The woman says "he hit me". One of them must be lying.

I have doubts about witnesses who are violently assaulted and then go home with their attacker to spend some more time in very close proximity. If someone bashes you twenty times - albeit not hard enough to cause injury - would you go to bed with him or her next day?
Funny that - because all the evidence suggests that’s exactly what most domestically abused women (or men) do for many years. They go back home and sleep / live with the very people abusing them....and it’s only the minority of them who eventually tell someone or report it.
Interested to know why you think this case is any different ?
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 am

dsr wrote:The man says "I didn't hit her". The woman says "he hit me". One of them must be lying
Ahh yes, one must be lying...I misread the other poster thinking they were suggesting she was....

That said, the jury believed her and there was clearly not enough evidence to confirm his innocence.

On the basis that more often than not the person convicted is at fault this is all we have on this one. Knowing Boycott he probably hacked the judge off. There were suggestions he kept interrupting the prosecuting barrister. You can absolutely see him doing that tbh.

If he was innocent and there was no evidence he would not have needed to be obnoxious in court. He could certainly afford a decent Lawyer to get his case across and if a good one could not get him a not guilty verdict there must have been good evidence backing the lady’s case...

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am

TVC15 wrote:Funny that - because all the evidence suggests that’s exactly what most domestically abused women (or men) do for many years. They go back home and sleep / live with the very people abusing them....and it’s only the minority of them who eventually tell someone or report it.
Interested to know why you think this case is any different ?
While no expert about domestically abused people, my impression is that it tends to be an ongoing process. This is one specific incident where a man while loads of previous girlfriends, none of whom have ever complained about him being violent, and then he allegedly explodes into violence which his then girlfriend wasn't expecting. It's not the "traditional" ongoing domestic abuse - hence why it feels different.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am

Not sure "it felt different" to her Dsr.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

dsr wrote:While no expert about domestically abused people, my impression is that it tends to be an ongoing process. This is one specific incident where a man while loads of previous girlfriends, none of whom have ever complained about him being violent, and then he allegedly explodes into violence which his then girlfriend wasn't expecting. It's not the "traditional" ongoing domestic abuse - hence why it feels different.
There has to be a first time for someone to commit a crime...also being a first time offender is perhaps why he got off so leniently. With a quality lawyer and enough evidence (or lack of) you would have expected him to be confirmed as ‘not guilty’ if there was sufficient doubt. There clearly wasn’t.

I’m sure most on here that have been in multiple relationships have seen very different characters. It doesn’t mean we punch any of them twenty times...under any circumstances.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Having seen the photos that his girlfriend has shown to the media I do notice that, in my opinion the ‘black eyes’ and ‘blood rings’ below the eyes are quite symmetrical. In my experience this can happen after a fall with a blow to the face or a blow to the back of the head, so I don’t automatically rule out Boycott’s version of events. Not sure of the judicial system in France but there wasn’t necessarily a jury involved in the trial. Someone said there was a very low financial award made to the complainant/accuser/victim, by the trial judge. Now if that was a criminal case that shows how different the French judicial system is to our own. If it was a separate civil case that low financial award might suggest that the person making the judgement might have been unsure how to assess the evidence in the case. I know from personal experience how difficult it is to disprove a malicious allegation. Fortunately for me the accusation did not progress to court but our system meant that I was arrested and charged prior to making my statement. Following further police investigations, no further action was taken but for a considerable period of time I anticipated a trial taking place. Whatever the outcome might have been there would have been a percentage of people who would have believed the accuser.
It does amaze me how many people believe that a conviction is ‘pure evidence of a truthful outcome’.
This user liked this post: bodge

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yet he was still found guilty of assault.
If all the things you said were true then I imagine he would have been not guilty and that she would have been charged with blackmail.

How do you think the victim you put in inverted commas managed to get the judge to give a guilty verdict - do you think she blackmailed him too ? Or do you think there could have been some actual evidence or maybe even a witness ?
The judge was female, and there were no witnesses other than the two parties involved ... as you would know, if you'd bothered to educate yourself about the case before commenting ..

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:simply put, idiots forgive idiots as long as they do something the idiots like.
So expressing a doubt as to the validity of a conviction in a Foreign Court, over 20 years ago, now makes you an idiot in favour of domestic abuse ..

I don't think I'm alone on here in acknowledging your expertise on " Idiocy ", but this one reaches new heights, even for you ... ;)

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Don't judge by your own standards

I think Boycott is a great cricketer, and a superb commentator. He's also got a conviction for hitting a lass twenty times. That should rule him out of any honours.

Pretty simple really.
You've just proved me point, it's pretty simple really.