Marvin Sordell

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dawlishclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 479 times

Re: Marvin Sordell

Post by Dawlishclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Really good to read so many supportive messages for people who are struggling to cope. Just opening up to others about how you are feeling can be a major step forward
I would just like to flag up the Samaritans as one possible way of getting support. Our Freephone number 116123 is available 24/7, 365 days a year - we usually answer straightaway though, at busy times there may be a slight wait. Email is jo@samaritans.org, sms 07725 909090 and you can call into your local branch for a face to face. We are all volunteers who are trained to listen and support. Apart from our helplines, we have partnerships with various organisations including the NHS, Prisons - where we train prisoners to become 'Listeners' for their fellows, Network Rail, the MOD - with a particular brief to support ex servicemen and their families. Our Education teams work with schools, Colleges and Universities to support students with their emotional health; and our Step by Step Service provides practical assistance when a student or member of staff has taken their life.
We deal with about 5000 000 contacts a year across our 201 branches in the UK and ROI. You don't have to be suicidal to call us, people contact us for all sorts of reasons - bereavement, addictions, relationship issues, mental illness, physical illness, loneliness, anger and many, many more
We are always looking out for new volunteers, so if you are keen to find out more please contact your local branch. The nearest to many of you is in Market Square, Nelson.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Dawlishclaret wrote:Really good to read so many supportive messages for people who are struggling to cope. Just opening up to others about how you are feeling can be a major step forward
I would just like to flag up the Samaritans as one possible way of getting support. Our Freephone number 116123 is available 24/7, 365 days a year - we usually answer straightaway though, at busy times there may be a slight wait. Email is jo@samaritans.org, sms 07725 909090 and you can call into your local branch for a face to face. We are all volunteers who are trained to listen and support. Apart from our helplines, we have partnerships with various organisations including the NHS, Prisons - where we train prisoners to become 'Listeners' for their fellows, Network Rail, the MOD - with a particular brief to support ex servicemen and their families. Our Education teams work with schools, Colleges and Universities to support students with their emotional health; and our Step by Step Service provides practical assistance when a student or member of staff has taken their life.
We deal with about 5000 000 contacts a year across our 201 branches in the UK and ROI. You don't have to be suicidal to call us, people contact us for all sorts of reasons - bereavement, addictions, relationship issues, mental illness, physical illness, loneliness, anger and many, many more
We are always looking out for new volunteers, so if you are keen to find out more please contact your local branch. The nearest to many of you is in Market Square, Nelson.
Can certainly vouch for the great work done by the Samaritons... The person I spoke to on several occasions a number of years ago set me off on the long road to recovery. If it hadn't been for them, I dread to think what would have happened.
These 2 users liked this post: Dawlishclaret Bosscat

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I did 4 years as a volunteer from 1994. I will just add that if you apply to become a volunteer it might be that after the training, you or the team of Samaritans that do the training might not ask you to become a volunteer. It might be that another type of volunteer work might be better suited to your skills. Do not be upset. The training course is designed to identify those who have all the required skills to be a volunteer. Not everyone is a born listener. Some want to be more proactive.
This user liked this post: Dawlishclaret

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's as shocking a post as I've seen on here in a long time. Shame on you.
I was wondering if it was just me who was so shocked ....apparently not. Well said Tony.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Bosscat wrote:I've got Dean Marneys poppy shirt from the Palace game in 2016. I met him after a match later in the season ... smashing lad and a great sense of humour ... he will always be one of my favourite players.

Back to CC
Clarke went on Countdown on TV and won a couple of games .. can't remember if it was the Prem season or one before or after????

He always comes across as a level headed lad, and its a terrible thing thinking about the horrors he feels inside and has driven him to the dark places he has been...

The mind is a complex thing and thankfully judging by seeing him last night on Look Northwest he is getting good help.
How much was Marney's shirt,think I paid £300 or maybe £350 for CC,s ?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Steve1956 wrote:How much was Marney's shirt,think I paid £300 or maybe £350 for CC,s ?
Dare not tell you lol the Mrs would kill me but involved a 5 and some zeros :lol: :lol: :lol: but I wanted it and I got it (had been a good week ;) )
20161130_131853.jpg
20161130_131853.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1456 times

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 pm

An interesting thread. Firstly, to anyone who has suffered or currently lived with anxiety, depression or any other related illness, I do hope that you are safe and have access to all the support mechanisms you might need, be it medical, friends, colleagues etc.

The thread has highlighted one key issue though: Mental Health used to come with an attached stigma. Nowadays, people talk about it more openly but like racism, it’s not fully accepted by certain members of society. We need to be more mindful; we need to accept that the fast-paced world around us is changing very quickly and we need to acknowledge that a lot more work needs to be done on pushing mental health matters to the forefront of the medical agenda. Some people are easy to read; many walk around with a smile on their face, completely concealing their depression or anxiety-leaving only themselves alone to deal with it.

We need to get back in the trenches and start looking out for our comrades a little more.
This user liked this post: Dawlishclaret

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Thu May 28, 2020 11:30 am

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 am

I always say about depression - mole hill size problems become mountains with no recognized solutions - those who've never experienced depression and can break even mountain size problems down into mole hills will struggle to realize the challenges required to tackle the easiest tasks when gripped by major depression.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnMac Chester Perry ecc

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 am

I have suffered with depression and anxiety now for over 10 years, the first 3 or 4 years in silence before it got to much and I went to the doctors. At first in the room I was silent and giving the doctor one or two word answers and feeling more ashamed of myself for wasting her time when there were other sick patients in the waiting room. After some gentle pushing from the doctor all of a sudden the words came out like a waterfall and I didn't stop for over 10 minutes. At the end of the appointment the doctor recommended a counselor to see and at first I saw them 4 times a week but now it roughly might be once a month of problems get a bit to much.

The lockdown hasn't helped, losing my routine of going to work and the gym to keep my mind busy but working from home has been a massive help and regular walks outside.

It is tough and I won't pretend it is easy, but for anyone reading this post and suffering in silence please believe me, talking is the best way forward and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.