Alexa

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 17680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6789 times
Has Liked: 9596 times

Alexa

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Any idea how to get her to shut up and just play music / sounds without her lighting up and talking at the top of her voice?

In short if I ask it to play a track I just want it to play. Sometimes it does sometimes it tells you what it is starting playing...

Vegas Claret
Posts: 15291
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4943 times
Has Liked: 2278 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Alexa

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:49 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Any idea how to get her to shut up and just play music / sounds without her lighting up and talking at the top of her voice?

In short if I ask it to play a track I just want it to play. Sometimes it does sometimes it tells you what it is starting playing...
not sure if this will help
https://www.howtogeek.com/346176/what-i ... on-or-off/

Belial
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 144 times
Location: On a crazy train

Re: Alexa

Post by Belial » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am

I'd bin her off and get a new Missus if I were you
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Dark Cloud
Posts: 3569
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 am
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 1155 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 am

It's just another example of technology disappearing up its own rectum imo. Companies producing stuff we really don't and never did need! Simply bin it (And don't bother getting a new Mrs either)

Fretters
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 am
Been Liked: 571 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Fretters » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 am

Yes, bin your expensive device. Don't sell it for cash or anything. Straight to the bin!

I'm off to throw rocks at the moon.
This user liked this post: Damo

martin_p
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1943 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Alexa

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 am

Fretters wrote:Yes, bin your expensive device. Don't sell it for cash or anything. Straight to the bin!

I'm off to throw rocks at the moon.
Mine cost about £30.

Damo
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1364 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Damo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 am

If it's anything like google home, you can change all the volume settings via the app

Fretters
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 am
Been Liked: 571 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Fretters » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am

martin_p wrote:Mine cost about £30.
I'm a Google devicer. Got their Home mini for free as I pay for Spotify. Almost deleted the offer email as I thought it must be spam!

Longside4evr
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:34 am
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 263 times
Location: Malaga Spain

Re: Alexa

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:15 am

Had mine over two years they are brilliant, sure they have had a few hitches but so many advantages quickly
Have mine going through my sonos system and well pleased with how it all functions

martin_p
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1943 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Alexa

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am

Longside4evr wrote:Had mine over two years they are brilliant, sure they have had a few hitches but so many advantages quickly
Have mine going through my sonos system and well pleased with how it all functions
Same set up as me. Linked to an Apple Music subscription as well means as long as I can remember the name of a song I just have to bark it at Alexa and it’s playing. Of course the flip side of that is my five year old son can do the same!
This user liked this post: Damo

Rileybobs
Posts: 6616
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2836 times
Has Liked: 641 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Alexa

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 am

I don’t really get the advantage. If it’s linked to your Apple Music you could just say the name of the song into your phone and beam it to any wireless speaker. Presuming you can’t add a playlist as you go with Alexa either? Just seems like a gimmick.

Rick_Muller
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 2130 times
Has Liked: 5186 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Alexa

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am

martin_p wrote:Same set up as me. Linked to an Apple Music subscription as well means as long as I can remember the name of a song I just have to bark it at Alexa and it’s playing. Of course the flip side of that is my five year old son can do the same!
my 9 year old loves listening to Prodigy "Smack your bitch up" on repeat... that and "Bonkers" by Dizzy Rascal - but he has his own Echo mini in his bedroom. He's on the Autistic Spectrum and he has meaningful conversations with Alexa at times, and then he can make her fart, a lot - he likes that too.

All good in our house :D
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Claret Till I Die
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:31 am
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 437 times
Location: Worsthorne

Re: Alexa

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am

I've found that asking Alexa to make howling noises at 3am when I'm away and the Mrs is alone is quite a fun thing to do
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Bosscat
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2283 times
Has Liked: 6101 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Bosscat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 am

Vegas Claret wrote:not sure if this will help
https://www.howtogeek.com/346176/what-i ... on-or-off/
Alexa in briefs mode phwooaarrrr :lol: :lol:

Bosscat
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2283 times
Has Liked: 6101 times

Re: Alexa

Post by Bosscat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 am

martin_p wrote:Same set up as me. Linked to an Apple Music subscription as well means as long as I can remember the name of a song I just have to bark it at Alexa and it’s playing. Of course the flip side of that is my five year old son can do the same!
Oh nooooo baby shark :o :o :o

martin_p
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1943 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Alexa

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am

Bosscat wrote:Oh nooooo baby shark :o :o :o
Exactly!!!!

martin_p
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1943 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Alexa

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:29 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Any idea how to get her to shut up and just play music / sounds without her lighting up and talking at the top of her voice?

In short if I ask it to play a track I just want it to play. Sometimes it does sometimes it tells you what it is starting playing...
If you’ve got ‘follow up mode’ switched on in settings then switch it off. I’ve found that shuts her up when playing music.

7decades
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 am
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Re: Alexa

Post by 7decades » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am

Fretters wrote:Yes, bin your expensive device. Don't sell it for cash or anything. Straight to the bin!

I'm off to throw rocks at the moon.

Ask Alexa if there is a better way to get your rocks off (this planet)

FactualFrank
Posts: 18519
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5120 times
Has Liked: 8857 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Alexa

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am

Reports such as this, makes me wary about bothering about things such as Alexa.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/3/20681 ... ng-privacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnleyareback2
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm
Been Liked: 393 times
Has Liked: 829 times
Location: Mostly Europe

Re: Alexa

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

Love them, have 5 around the house.

Several lamps the have been connected via a smart plug, great when on holiday or coming home in the dark.

Also paying for prime so we have the free music as well and the Alexas connected to speakers in different rooms so either playing music or DAB.

Rick_Muller
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 2130 times
Has Liked: 5186 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Alexa

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:59 am

FactualFrank wrote:Reports such as this, makes me wary about bothering about things such as Alexa.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/3/20681 ... ng-privacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there going to have lots of records of me telling Alexa shes a c#nt then :D
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

martin_p
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1943 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Alexa

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 am

Rileybobs wrote:I don’t really get the advantage. If it’s linked to your Apple Music you could just say the name of the song into your phone and beam it to any wireless speaker. Presuming you can’t add a playlist as you go with Alexa either? Just seems like a gimmick.
You can add a playlist using Alexa.

Rileybobs
Posts: 6616
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2836 times
Has Liked: 641 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Alexa

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 pm

martin_p wrote:You can add a playlist using Alexa.
What I meant is that if you were chilling out in your living room and you fancied a bit of music you could play a song, wait for it to finish and ask Alexa to play another song. I’m guessing you could also play an album or a pre-constructed playlist. But you couldn’t compile a playlist as you’re listening to it to suit your particular mood.

I just don’t understand what it offers, from a music playing perspective, that a smart phone connected to a wireless speaker system doesn’t? The voice command seems to be the USP but all smartphones and even most cars have this technology.

ChrisG
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:10 am
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: Alexa

Post by ChrisG » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What I meant is that if you were chilling out in your living room and you fancied a bit of music you could play a song, wait for it to finish and ask Alexa to play another song. I’m guessing you could also play an album or a pre-constructed playlist. But you couldn’t compile a playlist as you’re listening to it to suit your particular mood.

I just don’t understand what it offers, from a music playing perspective, that a smart phone connected to a wireless speaker system doesn’t? The voice command seems to be the USP but all smartphones and even most cars have this technology.
It's handy if, for example, I'm in the kitchen cooking and I want to turn the volume up/down or change the song, I can just ask Alexa to do it without having to faff and find my phone, wash my hands etc.

duncandisorderly
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:58 pm
Been Liked: 696 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Re: Alexa

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Alexa doesn't do anything that you likely can't do yourself with other devices, but it's the convenience of it - as with most things these days.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 17680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6789 times
Has Liked: 9596 times

Re: Alexa

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 pm

martin_p wrote:If you’ve got ‘follow up mode’ switched on in settings then switch it off. I’ve found that shuts her up when playing music.
Think that is exactly what i need it for.

In short we get it to play white noise / vacuum sound / hairdryer sounds if the baby wakes up unsettled. for whatever reason she loves the sound of the vacuum (apparently I did) and it settles her back down.

What doesn't help is alexa shouting and flashing blue lights 'OK PLAYING VACUUM NOISES!'

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 17680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6789 times
Has Liked: 9596 times

Re: Alexa

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Just checked and that setting is off. so nt sure why it does it!

Post Reply