Another Question About VAR

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Another Question About VAR

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:01 am

I have not seen any of the referees go to check an incident via the TV on the touchline. Is this not a thing in the Premier League or is it just that nobody has had to go an do a "check", like we have seen in the Women's World Cup, Champions League etc

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Re: Another Question About VAR

Post by aggi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:06 am

damo_whitehead wrote:I have not seen any of the referees go to check an incident via the TV on the touchline. Is this not a thing in the Premier League or is it just that nobody has had to go an do a "check", like we have seen in the Women's World Cup, Champions League etc
They can do it but they're trying to avoid it.

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:35 am

aggi wrote:They can do it but they're trying to avoid it.
Thanks Aggi

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am

They’d rather not tell the ref to change his decision than get the ref to check for himself and then change or maintain the decision. I’m sure the guy making the decision would be more inclined to get the decision correct if he looked at the video because only he will be best placed to know exactly what he saw and didn’t see in the live incident to be able to judge whether to reverse the decision. They should do this more if the guys in the VAR room are not going to have the balls to change obvious decisions.

It will take more time though, I mean Jon Moss will take at least a minute to waddle to the side of the pitch where the TV is for a start.....

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1979 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:15 pm

The guy back at base is a first class ref. He should be expected to get it right.
Although Hibs has a good point, the guy in charge might have thought he saw something that under his own review he would change.
At the moment I think the speed of decision is more important, until folk get used to it.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Imagine a top prem ref having to think to himself hang on il.go and check.it.on a tv

Theyl be confident in the decision made with their own eyes.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I was talking to a premier league referee last night about VAR. He was saying that they absolutely trust the VAR official to get the decision correct if they make a mistake. In fact would save them loads of grief if they did correct the error.
They implicitly trust each other.
High profile errors cost them time on the premier league. They all want the max games they can do, so error elimination is key.
He also re iterated the high bar set. This is deliberate so that it can be brought lower until the point where everyone thinks it's too much.
They have 1 big screen and 4 smaller ones with a 3 second delay again played at real time speed. They have no choice of angles, they are provided for them by the video operative who gives them the best angle they believe to see the incident.