Brighton v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Brighton v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:55 am

MACCA wrote:Here he is....
The guy who doesnt read/understand the post.

I'll write it again.

Last few games we've looked nothing like a usual Burnley side.

The reason I wrote "last few" and not "this season", is because I watched the games you mentioned and we looked very good v Arsenal and Wolves and deserved more from them, and looked very much like the Burnley side we know.
But if you think last few games have been on par with the first few then I accept your opinion, but sadly can't agree with it.

So to coin your phrase, but other than that you're spot on as usual...
We’ve played 5 games - is that not a “few” ?
So what is your usual drama queen over reaction in relation to ? 70 minutes against Brighton and 60 minutes v the champions of Europe ? Does that constitute the “last few games” for you ?

It’s difficult to take you seriously tbh

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 668 times

Post by burnley007 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:56 am

Pope 7 -1 for his kicking
Lowton 6 not his best game
Tarks 5 looked a bit distracted
Mee 6 very poor with the ball
Pieters 4 bring back Taylor ASAP
Cork 4 we had no control in midfield, at all.
Westwood 4 we had no control in midfield, at all.
Mcneil 6 offered our only attacking threat
Lennon 4 rubbish, not sure why he gets a game
Wood 5 not at it
Barnes 6 tried, but failed

Vydra 7 great touch for the goal
Jay rod 5 not a very good player anymore
Hendrick 8 excellent finish

NickPopeFan
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by NickPopeFan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am

Pope 8 MOM*
Lowton 6
Tarky 6
Mee 7
Pieters 5
Cork 5
Westwood 6
McNeil 6
Lennon 5
Wood 5
Barnes 5

vydra 7
Jay rod 5
Hendrick 7

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 am

Claretmatt4 wrote:Struggling to see why Lennon is being singled out. I really think McNeil was poor today, lacked intensity. The game just passed him by! For all his faults (and he hasn't really had a really strong game yet as A Burnley player) Lennon appears to put himself about and get stuck in.

Dont get me wrong I think McNeil has quality, hes just slow out of the blocks this year. Maybe we need Taylor back in?
I didn't see the game yesterday but watched the highlights on MOTD. McNeil put in the low cross for the Lennon chance and the deep cross that lead to the Cork/Wood chance and played a key part in the build-up to the Hendrick goal. He didn't do so well closing down the cross for the Maupay goal.

Re Lennon, putting himself about and getting stuck in is quite useful but isn't his main function in the team to drive forward and create some chances?

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am

Pope - 7 - kicking could improve a bit

Lowton - 6
Tarkowski - 7
Mee - 7
Pieters - 6

Lennon - 6
Cork - 5 - needs to be stronger, too easily shoved off it
Westwood - 6
McNeil - 7

Barnes - 5
Wood - 5

On balance, I thought the 1st half was a very decent game, they did well 2nd half and their big lumps at the back defended very well all game - replacing Rodriguez with Wood and continuing to lump it wasn't going to get us anywhere against them. Great move for the goal in the end and nice assist from Vydra.

Standard crying from Brighton fans on the train back as they fail to beat us in the Premier League again, always a pleasure.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 am

TVC15 wrote:We’ve played 5 games - is that not a “few” ?
So what is your usual drama queen over reaction in relation to ? 70 minutes against Brighton and 60 minutes v the champions of Europe ? Does that constitute the “last few games” for you ?

It’s difficult to take you seriously tbh

I think 3 can be seen as a few, so the last 3 games I think we've been very off our usual Burnley standards.
I'm sure the Sunderland game wont count for your argument though as it was the cup.
Hopefully the fact I mentioned I thought we were very good before that clears up what I meant by few

Its difficult for you, as you as you often don't read the post correctly, jump to conclusions, get on the defensive and think everyone who's opinion differs to yours is wrong/an idiot/moaner etc.

I'm confident my ratings will be similar to the majority others, and although it's all opinions, if your with the majority it means you've not gone OTT one way or the other.

However if I'm the only one who thinks the last 3 games have been poor, un Burnley like and thinks things need to improve quickly in time for the next 2 big games then so be it.

Edit - we had 1 poster arguing Pope had nothing to do, but mark's and probable MOM award will prove other wise.
Just hope theres not many ( management team and fans ) who think if we continue with the last few games displays/performance the season will be good.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:56 am

MACCA wrote:I think 3 can be seen as a few, so the last 3 games I think we've been very off our usual Burnley standards.
I'm sure the Sunderland game wont count for your argument though as it was the cup.
Hopefully the fact I mentioned I thought we were very good before that clears up what I meant by few

Its difficult for you, as you as you often don't read the post correctly, jump to conclusions, get on the defensive and think everyone who's opinion differs to yours is wrong/an idiot/moaner etc.

I'm confident my ratings will be similar to the majority others, and although it's all opinions, if your with the majority it means you've not gone OTT one way or the other.

However if I'm the only one who thinks the last 3 games have been poor, un Burnley like and thinks things need to improve quickly in time for the next 2 big games then so be it.

Edit - we had 1 poster arguing Pope had nothing to do, but mark's and probable MOM award will prove other wise.
Just hope theres not many ( management team and fans ) who think if we continue with the last few games displays/performance the season will be good.
As I said - it’s difficult to take you seriously when you firstly define “few” as 3 and then bring in the Sunderland game into the equation just so it fits in with your point.

I read your post - not sure why you keep on saying I didn’t. We played poorly in 70 minutes of one game - a game that we still drew with a brilliant goal. You are banging on about Burnley being very un Burnley like the last “few games”.
Sunderland - very different team and very Burnley like to get beat in the cup.
Liverpool - very Burnley like to get beat by the champions of Europe by 3 goals after putting up a very good game for 30 mins (check out for yourself the statistics of Burnley at home to top 6 teams in the last few years and tell me how possibly that result v Liverpool was any different whatsoever)
Brighton - 70 mins of poor football - 25 mins of very good football including a brilliant goal...that’s sounds pretty familiar to me aswell...63% v 37% possession, defending well, keeper playing well and nicking a result through a bit of quality....
Last edited by TVC15 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am

ClaretTony wrote:I’m not saying we weren’t fortunate to get a point but the overreaction yet again, as it was against Liverpool, is sadly turning the Player Ratings into a farce.
Trust me, the player ratings turned into a farce a long time ago, when you said that someone's ratings would be discounted as you believed that person didn't attend the game in person, and only those watching in person could add their ratings. How on earth do you know who attended in person, and who watched on TV?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Sean Dyche's Watch wrote:Trust me, the player ratings turned into a farce a long time ago, when you said that someone's ratings would be discounted as you believed that person didn't attend the game in person, and only those watching in person could add their ratings. How on earth do you know who attended in person, and who watched on TV?
Never, ever been the case that ratings are only for those who attend the game, that’s Rate the Ref. Trust you? That would be one massive mistake. You might try getting your facts right next time, could help prevent you from posting utter nonsense.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:04 pm

I never take part in player ratings as I only see the games on TV and, whilst this doesn't rule out rating the players, I don't believe that what is seen on TV is the same as actually being at the game.
What I think is really turning the player ratings thread into a farce is, more and more it seems, the thread is high jacked by arguments over the ratings given by individuals. Everyone sees the game differently and everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's not really relevant to the ratings thread whether A agrees with B or whatever.
Limit this particular thread to actual ratings. I actually prefer the ratings that include comments as at least there is some justification for the actual rating but accept that this takes longer.
There never will be agreement by everybody but bickering and arguing spoils the thread...in my opinion of course!
Last edited by Suratclaret on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: HieronymousBoschHobs Claret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 pm

We played poorly and got a point. Not sure what the problem is unless we go on to to perform like that every week.
This user liked this post: ClaretRock

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:46 pm

TVC15 wrote:As I said - it’s difficult to take you seriously when you firstly define “few” as 3 and then bring in the Sunderland game into the equation just so it fits in with your point.

I read your post - not sure why you keep on saying I didn’t. We played poorly in 70 minutes of one game - a game that we still drew with a brilliant goal. You are banging on about Burnley being very un Burnley like the last “few games”.
Sunderland - very different team and very Burnley like to get beat in the cup.
Liverpool - very Burnley like to get beat by the champions of Europe by 3 goals after putting up a very good game for 30 mins (check out for yourself the statistics of Burnley at home to top 6 teams in the last few years and tell me how possibly that result v Liverpool was any different whatsoever)
Brighton - 70 mins of poor football - 25 mins of very good football including a brilliant goal...that’s sounds pretty familiar to me aswell...63% v 37% possession, defending well, keeper playing well and nicking a result through a bit of quality....
Yes, good points.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Suratclaret wrote:I never take part in player ratings as I only see the games on TV and, whilst this doesn't rule out rating the players, I don't believe that what is seen on TV is the same as actually being at the game.
What I think is really turning the player ratings thread into a farce is, more and more it seems, the thread is high jacked by arguments over the ratings given by individuals. Everyone sees the game differently and everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's not really relevant to the ratings thread whether A agrees with B or whatever.
Limit this particular thread to actual ratings. I actually prefer the ratings that include comments as at least there is some justification for the actual rating but accept that this takes longer.
There never will be agreement by everybody but bickering and arguing spoils the thread...in my opinion of course!
Fully agree, some cant help themselves though, as only their opinion counts and is correct.
It takes a special kind of person to tell someone their opinion is wrong

Its usually the same few though, their high horses must take some feeding.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Pope 8
Lowton 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 6
Pieters 5
Lennon 5
Westwood 6
Cork 6
McNeil 5
Barnes 6
Wood 6

Hendrick 7
Rodriguez 5
Basically agree with yours scores but Popes kicking very poor so 8 a little generous
BUT
Wood 6 Jay Rod 5
For me Wood 5 as he didn’t ever have the ball at his feet under control and made zero impact in the air most were cleared effortlessly
Jay 6 although clearly lacking a yard as against Liverpool gets the ball at his feet under control and heading goal wards and caused a few heading duels to be 50 50 up in the air
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Pope 7 poor kicking
Lowton 6
Tarkowski 6 at fault for goal
Mee 6
Pieters 5
Lennon 4 ineffectual
Westwood 6
Cork 6
McNeil 5
Barnes 6
Wood 5 - ineffectual

Hendrick 8 - 1 for an expertly executed goal
Rodriguez 6
Vydra 6 deserves more game time

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:Basically agree with yours scores but Popes kicking very poor
I read this week that he’s been working on his distribution. There wasn’t any evidence of that yesterday although I though, otherwise, he did really well.
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Just about recovered from a very very long day so here are my ratings

Pope 7 - kicking atrocious though
Lowton 6 - did well but when Aaron got booked he sat back
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Pieters 6 - lacks cover from McNeil
Lennon 5 - faded after booking
Westwood 6
Cork 5
McNeil 4
Barnes 5 - no service
Wood 5 - no service

Hendrick 8 - excellent impact
Rodriguez 6
Vydra 6

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:42 am

Pope 7

Lowton 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 7
Pieters 6

Lennon 5
Westwood 6
Cork 5
McNeil 6

Barnes 5
Wood 5

Hendrick 7
Rodriguez 5

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:55 am

ClaretTony wrote:Some seriously stupid marks on here already. Nowhere near our best but the 3s & 4s are a joke.
ONE 3 was given ( at the time of your comment) and 4 sounds about right as we seemed poor until the excellent equaliser.

blake's wand
Been Liked: 54 times

Post by blake's wand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Pope 7 poor kicking which is not helping our strikers - good shot stopping and coming out for crosses though
Lowton 6 - did ok
Tarkowski 6 - did pretty well against physical CFs, but lost man a few times
Mee 6 - see above
Pieters 6 - defended well, unfair criticism
Lennon 5 - struggled to get into the game
Westwood 7 -good shift again
Cork 6 - solid
McNeil 6 - struggled to get into the game
Barnes 6 - not his best game
Wood 5 - ineffectual, poor with ball at feet

Hendrick 7 - looked good on the ball, not a wide player
Rodriguez 6 - didn't do much, but tried hard
Vydra 6 - should get given a chance earlier, at least offers something a bit different

We need to learn to have a bit more of a plan B when plan A clearly isn't working - overall good point though

Whatsupdoc
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Whatsupdoc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Pope 6
Lowton 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Pieters 6
Cork 6
Westwood 7