Lennon & Pieters

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
blake's wand
Been Liked: 54 times

Re: Lennon & Pieters

Post by blake's wand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm

A defender's primary job is to defend - Pieters is a very able (if not better than Taylor) defensive FB. Doesn't offer as much going forward, but I'd rather build on solid foundations to start with. If we're relying on our only creativity coming from LB, then we're in trouble
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Whatsupdoc
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Whatsupdoc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:10 pm

I don't agree with the criticism of Pieters particularly based on his display at Brighton. He was pretty solid although admittedly against a limited team in terms of attack. I also thought he played well against superior opposition in Arsenal and Liverpool. If Taylor, who I like a lot is to get back in it will have to be on merit because at the moment Pieters has the shirt and has done nothing to loose it IMO.
Sadly, although a real trier I have to agree that Lennons days look over at this level. Never the greatest crosser and now without any element of surprise or real pace I think every defender has him worked out. Hopefully JBG and Brady will be back into contention soon.
This user liked this post: Giftonsnoidea

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:00 pm

I applaud Lennon for talking about mental health issues and wish him well but I have to say what I did last year in that I would prefer if we had his namesake John on the wing.

It’s got to be Hendrick on the right next game he has earnt it!

Pieters is doing ok needs to replicate his first game for us on a regular basis

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 am

Pieters doesn't offer anything going forward? I think he's the perfect fit for us. He can whip in a decent cross from deep (almost resulted in a goal for us at Brighton).

Anyone remember his cross to Barnes against Southampton?

Taylor offers something different but his play is suited better when we need to take the game to teams, not when we're away or against tough competition. Taylor can't maraud forward doing his usual cut inside move when we have to play defensive and is probably a worse player in defence than Pieters.

I don't buy the McNeil thing either. If you are a winger you can take a bigger risk knowing you don't have to worry so much about tracking back and McNeil doesn't always track back as good as our other wingers so it's a good combination if you ask me.

McNeil is to blame for playing poorly, not Pieters. Poor decision making has meant he's lost the ball more than usual. Normal though given he's been sussed out by opposition.

Funny world we live in. McNeil gets no blame yet Lennon who has recently entered the team does get blamed.

Lennon has offered very impressive cover if you ask me and defensively is a lot sounder than Brady and McNeil. If he's not dashing to the byline it will be managerial instructions which naturally with Dyche are always going to be strict, especially if we're underdogs.

It's only a matter of time Brady will be back though, especially now we have one less set piece taker with Gudmundson out. McNeil will suit being an inverted winger more than Brady.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 am

superdimitri wrote:Pieters doesn't offer anything going forward? I think he's the perfect fit for us. He can whip in a decent cross from deep (almost resulted in a goal for us at Brighton).

Anyone remember his cross to Barnes against Southampton?

Taylor offers something different but his play is suited better when we need to take the game to teams, not when we're away or against tough competition. Taylor can't maraud forward doing his usual cut inside move when we have to play defensive and is probably a worse player in defence than Pieters.

I don't buy the McNeil thing either. If you are a winger you can take a bigger risk knowing you don't have to worry so much about tracking back and McNeil doesn't always track back as good as our other wingers so it's a good combination if you ask me.

McNeil is to blame for playing poorly, not Pieters. Poor decision making has meant he's lost the ball more than usual. Normal though given he's been sussed out by opposition.

Funny world we live in. McNeil gets no blame yet Lennon who has recently entered the team does get blamed.

Lennon has offered very impressive cover if you ask me and defensively is a lot sounder than Brady and McNeil. If he's not dashing to the byline it will be managerial instructions which naturally with Dyche are always going to be strict, especially if we're underdogs.

It's only a matter of time Brady will be back though, especially now we have one less set piece taker with Gudmundson out. McNeil will suit being an inverted winger more than Brady.
Spot on. We’ll still have to read the nonsense every week though.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:07 am

I think it’s inevitable that Pieters will lose his place to Taylor at some point.

Our record of signing players able to hold down a first XI spot in the last 4 windows is a concern. At some point we will need to be able to adequately replace the group of players who have pretty much seen us through 2017/18, 2018/19 and most likely 2019/20.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Pieters has so far been the signing of the Summer. There would have been a few eyebrows raised if we had said that would be the case at the time. Lennon on the other hand has been one if the most disappointing players we have signed. Expectations of him were much higher but I’m not sure what he offers us other than a bit of cover and tracking back.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Blackrod wrote:Pieters has so far been the signing of the Summer.
Otherwise known as the the Tallest Dwarf award

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm

For me
Hendrick for Lennon
Keep taking Wood off not Barnes for Jay Rod if Wood remains poor
Eventually play Jay Rod & Barnes
Get Vydra on more
Jay & Vydra both woefully short of match sharpness and that only comes with game time imo

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:For me
Hendrick for Lennon
Keep taking Wood off not Barnes for Jay Rod if Wood remains poor
Eventually play Jay Rod & Barnes
Get Vydra on more
Jay & Vydra both woefully short of match sharpness and that only comes with game time imo
Couldn't have put it better myself mate, I've always said wood lacks any real clarets passion, for example Barnes epitomises my point, wood has done very little so far so both jrod and vydra deserve more game time, as for Lennon apart from one flash of brilliance last season he's just picking he's wage up every week.
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:26 pm

NL Claret wrote:Without Hart in the team and some are realising Hendrick isn't as bad as they thought , UTC posters are scratching around for a scapegoat. UTC posters like Taylor so Pieters is easy to dislike, I think that's how it works.
It wouldn't be UTC if there wasn't a bogeyman. 5 points from 5 difficult opening fixtures (4 if you discount Southampton) and with a midges of luck we would have had a point at Arsenal and 3 at Wolves. 0-3 at home to Liverpool looks a hammering but we weren't that bad until the freak first goal and it was after all Liverpool, probably the best team in the country at the moment. I don't think we need to change that much just now. Maybe Wood needs a rest because he has been very quiet and we could do with a bit more threat up front but let's not get above ourselves here, we aren't City or Liverpool or Chelsea, we are what we are and we are doing really pretty damned good all-in-all.
I was thinking recently and I believe that we can now call ourselves an 'established' PL club so expectations have risen, and rightly so, but our expectations can't really be more than a top half finish, as with all clubs apart from the 'big six'. And we don't want to replicate our exploits of the season before last because 60% of Burnley fans (on here at least) will enter into a pit of depression if we get into Europe because 'it might jeapordise our PL status', and we wouldn't want that now would we? In fact I sometimes wonder just how much ambition some have for the club if they are scared to death of European football.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:50 pm

There are some that say Pieters and McNeill don't gel....

Maybe they aren't watching the same games as Lancs Live reporters

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-16960449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Bosscat wrote:There are some that say Pieters and McNeill don't gel....

Maybe they aren't watching the same games as Lancs Live reporters

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-16960449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That site is up there with the worst I have seen, not sure they even go to games.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 pm

RVclaret wrote:not sure they even go to games.
I don't say they do but....

They have it spot on with their assessment yesterday ... Pieters and McNeil are starting to gel.... also a fair assessment of Jeff Hendrick also....

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:13 pm

The articles seem fine to me and the Dyche interview, in this link, is excellent with a couple of cracking quotes in there.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-16959733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Bosscat