Burnley v Ipswich - U23 Latest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Re: Burnley v Ipswich - U23 Latest

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 am

ClaretTony wrote:So we've brought a young lad into the club from nowhere, progressed him over three years, seen him develop but because he's 20 and not in the first team you think we should ditch him, not only ditch him but you think it is our duty to find him another club. I think player development might have passed you by.
I haven't said that. I do think the process of development takes too long. I was listening to some ex-players on the subject a while ago, their take was that if it takes until 23 it doesn't matter because a player earns so much money now. True at the highest level, but not so if the player in question ends up in L2 or below.
We have a young player who, it seems, is progressing very well. I imagine he would like a shot at first team football.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32392 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 am

boatshed bill wrote:We have a young player who, it seems, is progressing very well. I imagine he would like a shot at first team football.
And he's had a shot at first team football at Swindon. Both he and the club wanted him to get more but there were no takers. You can't have it both ways, you don't want our players going out on loan but then you think they should be getting a shot at first team football and that's the one way, if you can secure a club, where they can get it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:36 am

ClaretTony wrote:And he's had a shot at first team football at Swindon. Both he and the club wanted him to get more but there were no takers. You can't have it both ways, you don't want our players going out on loan but then you think they should be getting a shot at first team football and that's the one way, if you can secure a club, where they can get it.
Do you know why we are having difficulty getting these lads out on loan? You say that Oldham are not keen now.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am

Local cricketer wrote:How did Brian's lad play?

Chip of the old block?
Just found out at work it’s not brains lad it the nets grow up local cricketer ps you got me

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32392 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:43 am

boatshed bill wrote:Do you know why we are having difficulty getting these lads out on loan? You say that Oldham are not keen now.
The statement from Oldham read: "We have also decided to reduce our reliance on loan players as they aren’t a long-term solution."

We will have identified players we wanted to send out on loan to get some first team experience. A couple of years ago it was successful but it's now proving more difficult. Dunne was perhaps a much easier one because he's now played a decent amount of first team football, Koiki not quite so and then you've got such as Benson & Cropper who the club were trying to get out on loan. It's finding the right clubs who want to take them.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 am

Longsidelenny wrote:Just found out at work it’s not brains lad it the nets grow up local cricketer ps you got me
What?

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm

I dont understand why clubs like Bolton who have openly publicised that they have a lack of players, would not be approached to take or fringe players on loan, even if it meant on subsidised wages to ensure they get first team football. I am probably putting it across to simplistic, as I am sure there is a lot of politics and red tape involved but the 2 seem to dovetail quite well.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 pm

ClaretAL wrote:I dont understand why clubs like Bolton who have openly publicised that they have a lack of players, would not be approached to take or fringe players on loan, even if it meant on subsidised wages to ensure they get first team football. I am probably putting it across to simplistic, as I am sure there is a lot of politics and red tape involved but the 2 seem to dovetail quite well.
I think Bolton will have players at a similar level to ours, and therefore will probably want to give their lads a chance, develop them and put them in the shop window for later sales

Also I'm not quite sure if Bolton and the toxic things going on there would be the best place for our young lads to develop.
Crowd tension and getting walloped most weeks, can't be too pleasing for players of any age never mind young lads just stepping into the game.

Only my opinion, but it'd be the last place I'd be sending our potential future stars, even if the covered all their wages.
This user liked this post: dsr

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

IF we get cat 1 status and are playing in the PL2 or whatever they call it and doing well then you may see more demand for our youngsters from L1 & and Championship teams but until that happens (if it ever does) then as others have said teams will likely think they have youngsters of their own already playing at a similar level so why bring one of ours in.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

@AndyhHolt has said earlier in the year that we now charge a fee for our loan players which is why they don't get players from us any more - though they tried hard for Dunne in the summer

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Think most teams do now. As it was we didn't need them to take Dunne, but you would think that if it was a choice between dropping the loan fee or the player staying and playing U23's with us that we would be flexible as surely it is better to get the youngsters out playing at a higher level than U23?