Erling Håland

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Erling Håland

Post by nyclaret » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Wish we'd have been in for him in the summer! What a monster of a player at only 19!
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

heiaburnley
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Re: Erling Håland

Post by heiaburnley » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:47 am

He was born in Yorkshire, son of Alf Haaland of Roy Keane fame
This user liked this post: Claretmatt4

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:14 am

Looks a great prospect, but looks to have been well tracked by many from an early age.

How much did he cost?

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am

MACCA wrote:Looks a great prospect, but looks to have been well tracked by many from an early age.

How much did he cost?
Signed for Salzburg from Molde on 1st January this year for £4.5million and admitted his dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:33 am

claretburns wrote:Signed for Salzburg from Molde on 1st January this year for £4.5million and admitted his dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.
Should reign in his ambition a bit and dream to merely PLAY for Leeds in the PL.... but even that's pushing it a bit!

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 am

There are surely players who play for the likes of Salzburg, Genk etc, who are currently playing Champions League football but would jump at the chance to play for Burnley in the Premier League.
These 2 users liked this post: rob63 HiroshimaClaret

Fretters
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am

Shame he's already played for Norway.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 pm

I watched Inter v Slavia Prague yesterday, Prague certainly held their own, there are good players out there for far less money than what you need to pay for a Championship player
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 HiroshimaClaret

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1077 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm

He’s brilliant in FM2019

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I watched Inter v Slavia Prague yesterday, Prague certainly held their own, there are good players out there for far less money than what you need to pay for a Championship player
Just waiting for our scouting network to renew their passports first.

Dont worry I think this next window is where Mike Rigg will show us what he's been up to
( I know that was said in Feb 2019, but this time we might actually...)
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 pm

MACCA wrote:Just waiting for our scouting network to renew their passports first.

Dont worry I think this next window is where Mike Rigg will show us what he's been up to
( I know that was said in Feb 2019, but this time we might actually...)
For all we know Rigg and our scouts are identifying players in Europe. I just don't think Dyche is interested or willing to take any kind of a gamble on players he doesn't know that well.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:38 pm

jrgbfc wrote:For all we know Rigg and our scouts are identifying players in Europe. I just don't think Dyche is interested or willing to take any kind of a gamble on players he doesn't know that well.

I doubt it or Rigg wouldn't have been brought in. I'm sure I read somewhere it was Dyche who asked for the help to take all the pressure of him.

Anyway, was only said in jest. Who actually cares who does or doesn't come in

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am

Rumoured to be going to Juventus.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Signed for Dortmund no fee mentioned yet.

Borussia Dortmund have signed Norway striker Erling Braut Haaland from Red Bull Salzburg.

The 19-year-old has joined the German side, who are fourth in the Bundesliga, on a deal until 2024.

Leeds-born Haaland, the son of former Nottingham Forest and Leeds footballer Alf-Inge Haaland, joined Salzburg from Norwegian side Molde in January.

He has scored 16 goals in 14 appearances in the Austrian top division this season.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm

claretburns wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am
Signed for Salzburg from Molde on 1st January this year for £4.5million and admitted his dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.
That was soon in tatters then!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm

The Germans will sort him!

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 pm
For all we know Rigg and our scouts are identifying players in Europe. I just don't think Dyche is interested or willing to take any kind of a gamble on players he doesn't know that well.
Said it himself in an interview recently on clarets player that he knows players in the EFL through his contacts and the background research into players is calls to ex youth team coaches, team managers, club staff etc. to understand the players background (I have no doubt that will only be scratching the surface).

He said it is much harder overseas as you cannot get the same level of background information on a player prior to watching them.

Our track record of signings would suggest that he is very cautious on signings, and if he wants a player, he'll be after him for years.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 pm

Our record in signing Europeans is also poor
All our signings from Dimi Pap to Matt Vydra have had little or no impact

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm

What a debut for Dortmund! Scores a hat trick in a 5-3 win. He must be some player!

Stacky_claret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by Stacky_claret » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Only a hat trick
Hes not that good then 😂😂😂😂

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Stacky_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 pm
Only a hat trick
Hes not that good then 😂😂😂😂
Don’t know what a hat trick means to you but for me it’s 3 goals. And 3 goals for a teenager on his debut is pretty fecking good!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm
What a debut for Dortmund! Scores a hat trick in a 5-3 win. He must be some player!
That's only half the story, he came off the bench on 56 minutes with his side 3-1 down away from home, and scored a 20 minute hat trick and his side won 5-3.

That's what dreams are made of for both the player and the club.
This user liked this post: chekhov

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm
That's only half the story, he came off the bench on 56 minutes with his side 3-1 down away from home, and scored a 20 minute hat trick and his side won 5-3.

What is even more miraculous is that Salzburg managed to sign him up for a relative pittance in the incredibly difficult Winter window, as ClaretBurns mentioned.

In that same window

20 year old Josh Maja went to Bordeaux for 1.5m. He has slotted into their first team, notching up 6 goals and 3 assists in 18 matches for his new club.

21 year old Karlan Grant joined Huddersfield for 1.5m. He went on to score 4 Premier League goals for them in 13 matches before they were relegated. His performances for them in the Championship this season have yielded 12 goals and 4 assists in 27 matches.

We signed Peter Crouch and Rigg called it " good business "

Now that is only a striker snap shot, lot lots of other players in lots of other positions also moved in that window. And it should be pointed out that as well as the successes there were failures.

However, over the last year or so we appear to have bought into the idea that doing business in the Winter window is far too difficult, which is nonsense. Transfers like these three show that we should be looking to do business in every single window, because bargains do exist. The fact that two of those three transfers were young domestic players adds further weight to the argument.

The Winter window has different nuances to the Summer window, but that is about it.

Winter Window

We can approach foreign players who are in the last year of their contract.

It would allow us to bring in foreign players and give them 6 months to adjust. Instead of signing them and expecting to acclimatise in a couple of weeks and hit the gorund running.

Fewer players are available, but competing clubs generally have less money to spend and fewer open spots to fill in their squads.

Players that haven't received game time may be looking to move instead of sitting on the bench for another six months and then having to attract interest from teams when more players are looking to move.

The high prices only really apply to in demand players, not hidden or over looked gems. Anything else is just down to general inflation and while prices now could be higher than in the Summer just gone, they might well be equal to or lower than prices next Summer.

Summer Window

More players are looking to move and with a longer window clubs are more likely to sell them, because they have longer to spend the money they receive on replacements.

The clubs have topped up their cash reserves so competition ( and price rises ) for in demand players is greater.

Players have less time to adapt to their new environments.

A club is more likely to lose players, increasing the overall volume of work that needs to be done.

Prices rise over the course of the window as the pool of available players decreases and clubs become desperate. Prices in the Winter window are generally more stable.

Overall

I haven't listed all of the differences, but quality signings for reasonable prices can be made in both windows.

The primary factor in terms of Winter window success is having quality recruitment that can recognises opportunities. It requires good scouting and a certain creative entrepreneurial flair, because simply chasing after the obvious players ( who generally have plus modifiers to their prices because of their pronounced visibility ) isn't applicable to the same degree.

To do well a recruitment team has to work a bit harder to identify targets that aren't on every clubs " known list " and they have to piece together information that could result in a bargain price. The Summer window is far more forgiving when it comes to putting a target list together, but not necessarily easier when it comes to getting players to sign for reasonable transfer fees and additional costs.

Doing business in the Winter window is definitely not too difficult, but it might be too difficult for our new recruitment set up ( after all we made some quality signings in previous Winter windows ), which is a very different state of affairs.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Don’t know what a hat trick means to you but for me it’s 3 goals. And 3 goals for a teenager on his debut is pretty fecking good!
Pretty sure he was kidding.
This user liked this post: Stacky_claret

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:51 pm

MACCA wrote:
he came off the bench on 56 minutes
are you sure?

...that's very early for a sub! ;)

UTC
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 pm
I think he wants players with good English first of all, probably easier on the training ground - that's why he likes players from the Championship who have good English skills even if it's their 2nd language......like Geordies :D

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Row Z wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:23 pm
Said it himself in an interview recently on clarets player that he knows players in the EFL through his contacts and the background research into players is calls to ex youth team coaches, team managers, club staff etc. to understand the players background (I have no doubt that will only be scratching the surface).

He said it is much harder overseas as you cannot get the same level of background information on a player prior to watching them.

Our track record of signings would suggest that he is very cautious on signings, and if he wants a player, he'll be after him for years.
Yes, I read that & the first thing that came to mind for me was old boys network...... we don't sign anyone until a mate has ok'd it.

The only trouble is by the time they've done their due diligence the player has either signed or had interest from elsewhere or it's too late in the window

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:30 pm

rob63 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 pm
I think he wants players with good English first of all, probably easier on the training ground - that's why he likes players from the Championship who have good English skills even if it's their 2nd language......like Geordies :D
A lot of these foreign players speak better english than some of the english one's!
Last edited by JohnMac on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Pretty sure he was kidding.
Yes I’m pretty sure he knows what a hat trick is too. To be honest I was a bit flummoxed by his /her post, and took the strategy of doubling down. Did it work? I’ll let others be the judge!

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm

MACCA wrote:

What a story! Thanks for that, I’d just looked at the score, didn’t even know he’d done it off the bench.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:44 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 pm
What is even more miraculous is that Salzburg managed to sign him up for a relative pittance in the incredibly difficult Winter window, as ClaretBurns mentioned.

In that same window

20 year old Josh Maja went to Bordeaux for 1.5m. He has slotted into their first team, notching up 6 goals and 3 assists in 18 matches for his new club.

21 year old Karlan Grant joined Huddersfield for 1.5m. He went on to score 4 Premier League goals for them in 13 matches before they were relegated. His performances for them in the Championship this season have yielded 12 goals and 4 assists in 27 matches.

We signed Peter Crouch and Rigg called it " good business "

Now that is only a striker snap shot, lot lots of other players in lots of other positions also moved in that window. And it should be pointed out that as well as the successes there were failures.

However, over the last year or so we appear to have bought into the idea that doing business in the Winter window is far too difficult, which is nonsense. Transfers like these three show that we should be looking to do business in every single window, because bargains do exist. The fact that two of those three transfers were young domestic players adds further weight to the argument.

The Winter window has different nuances to the Summer window, but that is about it.

Winter Window

We can approach foreign players who are in the last year of their contract.

It would allow us to bring in foreign players and give them 6 months to adjust. Instead of signing them and expecting to acclimatise in a couple of weeks and hit the gorund running.

Fewer players are available, but competing clubs generally have less money to spend and fewer open spots to fill in their squads.

Players that haven't received game time may be looking to move instead of sitting on the bench for another six months and then having to attract interest from teams when more players are looking to move.

The high prices only really apply to in demand players, not hidden or over looked gems. Anything else is just down to general inflation and while prices now could be higher than in the Summer just gone, they might well be equal to or lower than prices next Summer.

Summer Window

More players are looking to move and with a longer window clubs are more likely to sell them, because they have longer to spend the money they receive on replacements.

The clubs have topped up their cash reserves so competition ( and price rises ) for in demand players is greater.

Players have less time to adapt to their new environments.

A club is more likely to lose players, increasing the overall volume of work that needs to be done.

Prices rise over the course of the window as the pool of available players decreases and clubs become desperate. Prices in the Winter window are generally more stable.

Overall

I haven't listed all of the differences, but quality signings for reasonable prices can be made in both windows.

The primary factor in terms of Winter window success is having quality recruitment that can recognises opportunities. It requires good scouting and a certain creative entrepreneurial flair, because simply chasing after the obvious players ( who generally have plus modifiers to their prices because of their pronounced visibility ) isn't applicable to the same degree.

To do well a recruitment team has to work a bit harder to identify targets that aren't on every clubs " known list " and they have to piece together information that could result in a bargain price. The Summer window is far more forgiving when it comes to putting a target list together, but not necessarily easier when it comes to getting players to sign for reasonable transfer fees and additional costs.

Doing business in the Winter window is definitely not too difficult, but it might be too difficult for our new recruitment set up ( after all we made some quality signings in previous Winter windows ), which is a very different state of affairs.
Karlan Grant should have been on our radar,he'd have provided us with much needed pace,and as well as an eye for goal he can play the wide role if required,if he carries on his form then i can see him going for big money this summer,if we're going to take a calcuated risk i'd rather we went for lower league prospects that have the potential to develop,instead of spunking large wages/loan fees on the likes of Crouch and Drinkwater,which we'll never be able to recoup.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 am

Dortmund paid 22m Euros, bargain.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 am
Dortmund paid 22m Euros, bargain.
January and overseas markets are to be avoided.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 am

I see Villa are set to sign that Striker from the Belgium league who shagged Liverpool in the Champions League. Liverpool also signed Minamino from RB for just 5.5m

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am

If a sub came on and scored 3 the response from the loudest on here would be about Dyche getting his team wrong by having him on the bench in the first place.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan ClaretTony

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5516 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 am

Maybe he would have turned down another £70k per week to sign for us.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 64226.html

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:56 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am
If a sub came on and scored 3 the response from the loudest on here would be about Dyche getting his team wrong by having him on the bench in the first place.
Which would probably be a fair argument surely?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 am

Because Germans are German they don't consider it a true hat trick, the silly weirdos, as Sancho scored between Haalands goals.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 am

duncandisorderly wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 am
Because Germans are German they don't consider it a true hat trick, the silly weirdos, as Sancho scored between Haalands goals.
That's how it is here, or certainly was. A hat trick is consecutive goals but that seems to have got lost in time.