Prostate cancer advice please- newly diagnosed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Re: Prostate cancer advice please- newly diagnosed

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:27 am

spadesclaret wrote:ThelovelyEnclosure, I hope you will be posting from home later today. I also hope that any on-going treatment goes just as well. Good luck!
Thank you your Majesty. Onwards and upwards eh?
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am

The Enclosure wrote:Had some great news by letter today from the consultant to say that my bone scan did not show any evidence of the cancer spreading.
Got my transurethal prostatectomy operation in a couple of weeks so be glad when thats behind me..Looks like i am going to miss the Chelsea match but will bring double tins to the following home match.

Great news, dont be so quick to rule out the Chelsea game though :D

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 512 times

Post by beddie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 am

Well done The Enclosure. That's excellent news. Hope you continue to progress and get home soon, you can then get some normality back. They surgeons do some wonderful work today and don't get enough recognition at times. They'll get you sorted.
Keep us updated, we're all wishing you well.

chorleyhere.
As with The Enclosure you'll be in good hands. You'll be sorted in quick time then home for rest, make sure you take things very easy and don't rush it. As above were all wishing you well. Both of you must keep us posted. 3 points for you both on Saturday.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure chorleyhere

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:18 am

Got to do three pees now before i can go home...easier said than done as the uretha is swollen and tender after the .op. if i cant then its a other catheter for two weeks until the swelling goes down.
Hope this is not too much information lol

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Well am home but with another catheter in as I did not manage to pass water.Apparently this is commonplace after this operation.Got to go back in two weeks to the catheter assessment clinic.presumably when the soreness and swelling are better.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:30 pm

The Enclosure wrote:Got to do three pees now before i can go home...easier said than done as the uretha is swollen and tender after the .op. if i cant then its a other catheter for two weeks until the swelling goes down.
Hope this is not too much information lol
Whats your experience like with the catheter? You can swap the bag for a tap, depending on where you are, but how did you find it more confortable in terms of where to put the bag (strapped to leg or stomach for instance)?

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:02 pm

I like a leg bag best mounted on inside of leg above the knee.At night just attach a single use night bag for more capacity.Got bags made by Prosys with the on off tap on the outlet.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:19 pm

I hope this brings you some comfort. My father had prostate cancer for over 20 years and regularly took a Chemo tablet. He died earlier this year of old age, he was 96.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure chorleyhere

beddie

Post by beddie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:08 pm

The Enclosure. Glad your home, you'll feel better for that. It's down to patience now. Hopefully a few weeks rest will help. You'll get there. Best wishes.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 am

My dad chorleyhere had his op on Thursday and was back at home yesterday evening looking very tired but pleased to be back in familiar surroundings.
It’s his birthday today so whilst he can’t be sat next to me on the Turf I’ll be shouting the boys on extra loud to try and help bring home the points.
I’m sure he’ll be on here in the next few days to thank all of the well wishes and the amazing staff of the NHS.

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:01 am

Brilliant Jack ..give him my best wishes...the NHS staff really are Angels and so caring.
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

beddie

Post by beddie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 am

That's great news Father Jack. Please send your Dad my best wishes and tell him plenty of rest is required now.

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi to all who have offered me help, prayers and advice and the many who have wished me well. I am back at home and learning about my recuperation. I can only say how superb the care was at Royal Preston Hospital and the care from Mr Finney the Urologist and Mr Smolski the surgeon. I was kept well informed of all the procedures and the pattern of recovery and discharge. The timescale went to plan and I was home on the 25th October ready for a quiet birthday on the 26th. I have worked out ways to get to sleep and to deal with the catheter. My stitches are beginning to itch a bit , which my mum always said was a sign of healing.

Good luck with your recovery to The Enclosure - we seem to be mirroring our recuperation styles.

To all who have read the post and wondered what it was all about ......if you haven't yet had your PSA check either at the Turf or through your GP (insist on a test) please DO get it done. Mine was caught early because of Barry Kilby's PSA days and surgery or radiotherapy were both viable options. You can then put your mind at rest or follow up with another check and find out if you need treatment. My surgeon said 10 years ago I would have been in 10 days but he is hoping that refinement of techniques will eventually make the surgery into a day case !!!!

It's the end of one part of my life and thankfully the beginning of a new phase and being alive to share the future with family and friends is priceless !!!
These 2 users liked this post: spadesclaret The Enclosure

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm

chorleyhere. Good to hear that your recovery is going well. We often take for granted the work done by surgeons, sometimes without realising just how brilliant they really are. Make sure you get the rest required. It won't be long before you get some normality back in your life. Look forward to you and The Enclosure keeping us updated. Best wishes.
These 2 users liked this post: chorleyhere The Enclosure

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 pm

First match back at the Turf against City last night for me - the result wasn't the one I wished for but you can't have everything! Lots of fellow fans wished me well which was very much appreciated.
My recuperation continues slowly but steadily and I will have a PSA test next week followed by a meeting with the surgeon the week after and I am hoping for positive news.
I hope that The Enclosure is making good progress too.

Since I have had the operation I have come across so many men who have had treatment or surgery or who are just about to start treatment.
We do need to keep raising awareness of this disease to the men we meet and hopefully many more men will get a new lease of life.

My thoughts are with Bob Willis' family at this sad time.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Best wishes Chorley.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Well done Enclosure really pleased and fight on
I have been fighting a different cancer battle to you
Been at it now over 2 grueling years.I went for a scan 3 weeks ago and got devastating news yesterday my cancer has kicked back and enlarged in my liver bowel lungs
They had to stop my chemotherapy for 8 weeks as my body was lacking all vitals of things in my blood calcium magnesium plates its been an absolute nightmare been put on twice weekly infusions to try and get my blood levels up
They are going to try this last resort chemo on me tomorrow this is all very hard to take in as if this doesn't work its the short and winding road
The crazy thing is if you looked at me you would never know there was anything wrong yet i am now at the stage it could turn on a pin

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 pm

That is so sad longside, I really hope you get some better news soon.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Good luck, hoping for good news.

cloughyclaret
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 458 times

Post by cloughyclaret » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Wishing the best news for you Longside

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:44 am

Chin up Longside...keep fighting mate and keep a positive head on.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Wishing you all the best in your fight Longside and hope you can win the battle.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Good luck Longside, I can't offer you any words of my own, I'm not that erudite, but hopefully these from Dylan Thomas will provide some motivation.

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light".

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 pm

7 years ago my old brother was diagnosed and he was given the same options he spoke with a friend that had the same cancer and he told my brother he saw it as a no brainer have it removed. Our kid went into Blackburn for surgery and I rang my sister in law to enquire as to what ward he was on as I wanted to visit she said he was coming home in the morning, the 3rd day I went up to his house expecting to see him laid up in bed and there he was stood in the garden with his baby grandson in his arms. Two little holes, no pain and no further problems, amazing. Good luck and God Bless

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Best wishes Longside - I hope all those around you are giving you their support and love which is something to appreciate when things are rough.
To mis -quote Joni Mitchell " Something's lost but something's gained in living life every day"

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you battle on.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Got the best Christmas pressie any body could get ...........an all clear PSA result after my radical prostatectomy. Now life is back in gear .
Hope you are on track to recovery The Enclosure?

Still thinking about you Longside.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Great news chorleyhere, a real weight off you and your family's mind, now enjoy your Christmas !!

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Chorley, that's absolutely brilliant news. I'm so pleased for you. Now go and enjoy your Christmas. Another one here thinking about The Enclosure and Longside.Hoping you both get better news.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:49 pm

So sorry to hear that update Longside, you were so supportive of me during my battle...i don't know what to say other than stay strong and keep fighting the evil f*****g disease.

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 am

Been driving to Royal Preston from Burnley for the past 32 week day mornings for radiotherapy.only 5 more to go next week and then I can ring the bell.Fingers crossed the treatment has been successful.
Anxious 6 week wait then for a PSA blood test result.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:14 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 am
Been driving to Royal Preston from Burnley for the past 32 week day mornings for radiotherapy.only 5 more to go next week and then I can ring the bell.Fingers crossed the treatment has been successful.
Good luck mate. It must be a difficult time both physically and mentally. Stressful and tiring. Hope you can make it to the Turf tomorrow and you come home with your spirits lifted.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 am

Thanks to the Barry Kilby initiative, I had a blood test at Turf Moor two and a half years ago. Unfortunately for me, my PSA was in the 'A bit high' zone and I was referred to my doctor. Within 24 hours I was re-tested with the same result and referred to Burnley General where biopsies were taken. These confirmed that I had Prostate cancer.

Although my cancer was considered low risk, I was offerred a robotic prostectomy by the surgeons but I was reluctant to do that. (I've had friends who had done so previously.) It was decided to monitor my PSA and see what happened. 12 months later, my PSA had almost doubled and I was advised to take action. Having had plenty of time to think about the options, I decided on radiotherapy and like others on here, I had to travel to Preston Royal on a daily basis for treatment. I had twenty treatments.

Throughout the whole process, I was treated very, very well and made a number of friends along the way. The radiotherapists are fantastic and the atmosphere there is just great. Rosemere Cancer foundation run a small cafe there and provide free drinks for all patients.

I finished my treatment on the 10th of Jan this year and was declared free of cancer and discharged last week and I feel fine. Personally, I have had no ill effects and I would definitely reccommend radiotherapy over a prostectomy
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg The Enclosure Tricky Trevor MT03ALG

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 am
Must be a stressful time for you,good luck for the coming weeks,your in good hands you'll be reet.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:46 am

Gordaleman and The Enclosure, I wish you both the very best.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie The Enclosure Siddo

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:24 am

SalouClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:46 am
Gordaleman and The Enclosure, I wish you both the very best.
Thank you. I think I have a bigger problem at the moment with my heart than my prostate though. More heart tests later today.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:14 pm

My best wishes to all you Clarets undergoing treatment for these foul cancers.

Get well.

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Gordaleman...agree with everything you say regarding the Rosemere cancer centre.An absolutely fantastic place.so professional and caring.And the free brews are a bonus lol.
Thanks allfor your good wishes andI will most certainly be on the Turf tomorrow to watch the lads demolish The Spurs.
UTC.

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:31 pm

The Enclosure. It's really good to hear your news. Yes it will be an anxious 6 weeks but just keep those positive thoughts going and then make sure you celebrate with the family.

Gordaleman.
To you too my friend I'm also delighted with your news. Well done. I hope you also get some good news about your heart too.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Gordaleman and The Enclosure, I wish you both the very best- as the original poster, I can confirm that the messages of support and the on-going chat with 2 or 3 fellow Clarets were/are, a great morale boost.
Whether you choose radiotherapy or an operation is very much down to personal feelings/circumstances and the advice of the consultants in the particular diagnosis.
The message to everyone is GET YOURSELF TESTED !!!! don't put it off - the outcome will change your life and hopefully in a very positive way. For anyone who has had Prostate Cancer and come through it , we do have a responsibility to tell others to get the test if at all possible.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Longside4evr wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 pm
Well done Enclosure really pleased and fight on
I have been fighting a different cancer battle to you
Been at it now over 2 grueling years.I went for a scan 3 weeks ago and got devastating news yesterday my cancer has kicked back and enlarged in my liver bowel lungs
They had to stop my chemotherapy for 8 weeks as my body was lacking all vitals of things in my blood calcium magnesium plates its been an absolute nightmare been put on twice weekly infusions to try and get my blood levels up
They are going to try this last resort chemo on me tomorrow this is all very hard to take in as if this doesn't work its the short and winding road
The crazy thing is if you looked at me you would never know there was anything wrong yet i am now at the stage it could turn on a pin
Saw the thread reappear and I hope you’re OK too Longside4evr
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Longside4evr

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:13 pm

chorleyhere. It's great to hear from you. I hadn't forgotten about you and was hopeful that you would post shortly. Hope everything is going okay for you and you're feeling more positive with in yourself.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks Beddie -it was a surprise to see my post appear again. Everything is going along nicely. I go for a PSA blood test next week ready for my appointment to see the consultant on March17th. I'm hoping it will be just as before with an undetectable score. I have to say the NHS have been brilliant and my GP the same. I've been driving again since the turn of the year and as a couple we get out for walks as often as we can. Slow and short to begin with but the latest was up Rivington to the gardens and then around the lower reaches without feeling tired. We have booked a couple of short UK holidays (virus willing ?) so we are looking forward which is always good. "Seize the day" is a favourite saying.

I would reiterate to anyone else who is interested in chatting about Prostate Cancer, I'm happy to chat on the phone or by email. It certainly helped me so I would be glad to help anyone else.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 pm

I hope you’re OK too Longside4evr. Still in my thoughts.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:23 pm

cheers fellas i am ok but the timing of this is ironic really only today the oncology unit are having an emergency meeting to decide were this is going with the next stage but going of said its unclear till go next Tue
i go there to see there decision making on to decide which course of action is going to take place
This user liked this post: Zlatan

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Longside4evr. I'd like to reiterate what chorleyhere has said. We're all thinking about you and praying for positive news next week.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan The Enclosure Longside4evr

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Today I had the last of my 37 radiotherapy sessions at the Rosemere Cancer Centre at Royal Preston Hospital.
It has seemed a long time since my first visit on the 23rd of January but at last it is over.
Now an anxious 6 weeks wait until my next PSA blood test to see if it has all been worthwhile.
Sadly no football for a while to help pass the time.
Stay safe everyone in these worrying times.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 pm

and you "The Enclosure"

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:46 pm

The Enclosure. You'll be glad and relieved to get those 37 sessions out of the way. You're now moving forward so we're all hoping that after the next 6 weeks you get the news you need to hear. Fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted. Still thinking about the other lads on here going through the mill and hoping we get good news from all of them. Yes what are we all going to do with no football?

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 am

Gordaleman: did you also take hormone tablets ?

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 am
Gordaleman: did you also take hormone tablets ?
I have to have hormone injection inplants every 12 weeks for the next 2 years.