Prostate cancer advice please- newly diagnosed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Re: Prostate cancer advice please- newly diagnosed

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Had my first PSA blood test yesterday following my 8 weeks of radiotherapy.Heard this morning that it has dropped to 1.8 , anything under 2 is normal.When i was first diagnosed it was 80.As you can imagine I am very relieved.
These 24 users liked this post: tim_noone ZizkovClaret turfytopper CombatClaret ClaretTony Burnley1989 spadesclaret Paul Waine Caballo Croydon Claret Tricky Trevor bfcjg ewanrob KateR ClaretPope MT03ALG lakedistrictclaret Zlatan chorleyhere k90bfc Funkydrummer JohnMac green_parrot nil_desperandum

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Good news TE!!
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Great News TE!

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm

The Enclosure. I was only thinking about you guys yesterday. What brilliant news that is. I imagine you'll have had to change your whole lifestyle/ diet etc but how well worth it is that. Keep doing what you been advised. Thanks for the update.

Hoping chorleyhere and Longside4evr are still doing okay.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Fabulous news, TE.
All the best !

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Fabulous news TE..

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Superb news The Enclosure and I look forward to chatting with you again sometime over the fruit & veg on our Sunday morning trips to Tesco.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Very glad to hear that news. Congratulations and here's to it remaining that way.

Good to get some good news these days.

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks guys for all your good wishes..it really is appreciated and believe me the support has helped through a difficult few months.
The Clarets really are a great bunch.Thankds again and yes Tony will look forward to that.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Finally some good news amongst all the bad. Best wishes going forward TE.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure k90bfc

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5084 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Superb news, great to hear .

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Great news TE, how you feeling after the Radiotherapy ?. My was on my neck, a year down the road...still not quite back to where I was. Dry mouth, throat and very little taste and god do my shoulders ache...but heyho I'm still here.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Hope everyone with cancer issues is bearing up. Purely by luck I finished my chemo just before the outbreak and, despite having screening stuff postponed for up to 6 weeks I'm happy that my chemo seems to have worked. Remission/cure is a strange thing as there isn't really a dividing line, always a chance of secondary occurrences, but good to be out of the woods for the moment. I've been social isolating for 6 months so another few months ain't gonna get me down!
These 3 users liked this post: lakedistrictclaret The Enclosure beddie

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm
Great news TE, how you feeling after the Radiotherapy ?. My was on my neck, a year down the road...still not quite back to where I was. Dry mouth, throat and very little taste and god do my shoulders ache...but heyho I'm still here.

The radiotherapy after effects have been fairly minimal to be honest...bowel movements were a bit erratic for a while and you dont think about sex quite as much lol.i drove myself to and from Preston everyday for 8 weeks and that got a bit tiring towards the end..
Saying all that it is a small price to pay if the treatment works.
I would just like to give a shout out for the staff at the Rosemere Cancer Centre at Preston.they really are angels and are always smiling and encouraging you along.Also all the volunteers who run the little cafe and work tirelessly for thr Rosemere charity.
Best wishes to you Ewanrob.
This user liked this post: beddie

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Great to hear that TE, ...haha with you on the sex. yep similar...drove myself to Leeds for my 35 stints apart from the last few when I was on the floor. Totally agree on the people on site, absolute marvels...and my MacMillan Nurse she is just fantastic.

Take care fella
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure beddie

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Great news TE !.

I had the second of my 3 monthly consultations over the phone with my surgeon. He was able to say that my PSA was undetectable and I was very glad to hear it. I have another 3 monthly check up at the end of June but he told me not to bother getting a blood test if Covid is still causing isolation procedures and he would ring me up again. Also challenged me over my stress incontinence and after discussion challenged me to forget the pads as they can become a psychological reliance so I gave up there and then and apart from using an occasional one when travelling to places without a definite toilet I can report excellent success. I do need to remember to use the loo and not put it off to do a couple of jobs or I end up rushing to prevent an "accident" !!!
I'm still taking a daily dose of Tadalafil and have been provided with a vacuum pump for strengthening the penile blood flow and helping somewhat with erections. My surgeon says this is to last for 2 years as this is the time scale for the rewiring of nerve endings down below. Thanks again to all who have kept in touch to enquire how I am going on.

To anyone else who is given a diagnosis of Prostate Cancer don't be scared or concerned to ask for a chat, there are plenty of Clarets out there who will be glad to give you support , advice and encouragement either through this post or if preferred by email or over the phone. Especially at a time of restricted appointments and operations and also of self isolating, a friendly understanding voice can do wonders for your mental health and state of mind.
Do just ask.
These 4 users liked this post: The Enclosure ClaretTony MT03ALG beddie

The Enclosure

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Brllliant Chorley....so glad you are getting through it.Are you on the 3 monthly hormone injections in your stomach?...They make your eyes water a bit lol .

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I'm only on the daily Tadalafil as I had the radical Prostatectomy so I don't need any further treatment. I just have to let the nerve endings rebuild as much as they possibly can to improve the ED over the next 18 months or so.
I did have to give myself the months worth of daily anticoagulant injections to prevent the problems of blood clots and rewarded myself with lovely chocolate from Thorntons after each less than pleasurable experience !!!!!!!!
Thanks for the enquiry and support TE.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 pm

That's brilliant chorley. Great to hear from you, you'll get there. Keep posting, it's good to know you guys are okay and keeping in touch.

chorleyhere

Post by chorleyhere » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks for your support.
My thoughts too, are with the blokes who had dates for operations or radiotherapy and had the consultations and actual treatment postponed. Hopefully there will soon be more NHS availability for this area of treatment. And so as not to be gender biased also thoughts for the ladies with the female cancers that have had the same disappointments.
This user liked this post: beddie