Clarke Carlisle

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Clarke Carlisle

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:03 pm

I know he’s had his well documented problems. But just seen him outside The Reebok stadium and gave him a loud and proud UP THE CLARETS!

His face showed exactly what Burnley meant to him. Massive smile and a fist pump of the air. Didn’t stop to disturb him. But great to see he looks healthy and happy!
These 5 users liked this post: Steve1956 turfytopper Colburn_Claret mybloodisclaret THEWELLERNUT70

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Clarke Carlisle

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Lovely fella.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Lovely fella.
As is Clarke.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:As is Clarke.
:lol: I see what you did there.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Lovely fella.
Somebody will be along shortly to inform you that lovely fella’s don’t make the mistakes he has.

I’m glad to hear he’s looking well
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:Somebody will be along shortly to inform you that lovely fella’s don’t make the mistakes he has.

I’m glad to hear he’s looking well
I've made many mistakes. ;)
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 ants_g

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I've made many mistakes. ;)
I bet I've made more Steve. My life is littered with gross errors of judgement (usually relationship ones). My worst failing is not keeping in touch - with anybody. I have had close friends in the past that now are just a distant memory. I think I am emotionally lazy - a shocking way to be. Even family who lived close by (sadly now departed this world) were rarely contacted or visited. The really strange thing is I am a caring person - perhaps I just don't care enough.

Anyway enough of this self-pitying melancholia - onwards and upwards. To infinity and beyond. :roll:
This user liked this post: groove

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:31 pm

It's hardly onwards and upwards if he's been spotted at Bolton Wanderers.... ;)

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 pm

houseboy wrote:I bet I've made more Steve. My life is littered with gross errors of judgement (usually relationship ones). My worst failing is not keeping in touch - with anybody. I have had close friends in the past that now are just a distant memory. I think I am emotionally lazy - a shocking way to be. Even family who lived close by (sadly now departed this world) were rarely contacted or visited. The really strange thing is I am a caring person - perhaps I just don't care enough.

Anyway enough of this self-pitying melancholia - onwards and upwards. To infinity and beyond. :roll:
Sometimes friends are just for that time and place in your life. Like at school. Like at college. Like at work. They come, they go. It’s just how it is. I’m pretty much the same. I had great friends in school. But that was it. Same at college, then work. I have mates on turf. But that’s all they are. I don’t see them other than the football.

Did they try keeping in touch with you?
This user liked this post: groove

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Dyched wrote:Sometimes friends are just for that time and place in your life. Like at school. Like at college. Like at work. They come, they go. It’s just how it is. I’m pretty much the same. I had great friends in school. But that was it. Same at college, then work. I have mates on turf. But that’s all they are. I don’t see them other than the football.

Well put that. A good way of looking at it.
As ive got older my circle has constantly gotten smaller. As much through my own choices as anything else. And lifes a lot better for it!

Smaller in numbers but much bigger in quality.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Dyched wrote:Sometimes friends are just for that time and place in your life. Like at school. Like at college. Like at work. They come, they go. It’s just how it is. I’m pretty much the same. I had great friends in school. But that was it. Same at college, then work. I have mates on turf. But that’s all they are. I don’t see them other than the football.

Now you come to mention it...
I think it's strange how people are and maybe we blame ourselves too much for things that aren't our fault. My 2 best friends from many years ago (we were like brothers) both disappeared, one to Greece (for a good few years), and the other to the navy (he's long since retired but has lived in Cornwall for more years than I care to remember). Having said that I was on holiday in Helston last year where he lives but made no attempt to contact him (my excuse is that mobile phones don't work in Cornwall - really - they don't - unless you are on Vodafone I think). I did contact him on Facebook after I got back (we do now sort of keep in touch that way - one of the great things about social media) and he confirmed that Cornwall is a technology free area. The guy who went to Greece I haven't seen in over 35 years and sadly I don't know if he is alive or dead.
If social media had been around in the 70s I think my life would have been very different (and everone else's I suppose).

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:03 pm

houseboy wrote:My worst failing is not keeping in touch - with anybody. I have had close friends in the past that now are just a distant memory. I think I am emotionally lazy - a shocking way to be.
Two years ago next Wednesday a very good friend of mine died at the age of 50. I'd not seen her in a while and, two years ago, I started a thread on this message board to let people know she'd passed away and I wrote: "I didn't see anywhere near enough of her in recent years, so there's a warning to people, keep in touch with your friends. I know real friends remain friends whatever but make sure there's at least the occasional text or phone call."

I've since tried to do that.
These 4 users liked this post: Bfcboyo cricketfieldclarets Suratclaret Dyched

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Two years ago next Wednesday a very good friend of mine died at the age of 50. I'd not seen her in a while and, two years ago, I started a thread on this message board to let people know she'd passed away and I wrote: "I didn't see anywhere near enough of her in recent years, so there's a warning to people, keep in touch with your friends. I know real friends remain friends whatever but make sure there's at least the occasional text or phone call."

Well done. Its easier than ever to keep in touch and make an effort. But in a way because of that its even easier to become lazy and blase about it. Because of social media and the like its easy to feel like you see and hear from people way more than you do

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Just seen the play off match on Sky (forgot that Utd had a man sent off!!) he was nearly in tears during the interview.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:30 am

ClaretTony wrote:Two years ago next Wednesday a very good friend of mine died at the age of 50. I'd not seen her in a while and, two years ago, I started a thread on this message board to let people know she'd passed away and I wrote: "I didn't see anywhere near enough of her in recent years, so there's a warning to people, keep in touch with your friends. I know real friends remain friends whatever but make sure there's at least the occasional text or phone call."

Couldn't agree more...living abroad makes it very important to keep in touch. Never put off sending an email or text.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:40 am

Burnley Ace wrote:Just seen the play off match on Sky (forgot that Utd had a man sent off!!) he was nearly in tears during the interview.
They had two sent off

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

I think it's inevitable to see friends less and less as you get older, for example the life you lead at 20 is probably totally different to your life at 30. It is happening to me, I haven't seen certain friends for years. I always have it in the back of my mind that I should arrange something with them, but it never happens. Social media really is a double edged sword as well, it's really good for keeping in touch with people but I found the negatives of it outweighed that and had to get rid of it altogether.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am

Grumps wrote:They had two sent off
But one was after the final whistle so we didn’t benefit.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am

martin_p wrote:But one was after the final whistle so we didn’t benefit.
Someone benefited though when he served his suspension.

I didn’t even know about that second red card until I got home and Sky never picked up on it.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:31 am

ClaretTony wrote:Someone benefited though when he served his suspension.

I didn’t even know about that second red card until I got home and Sky never picked up on it.
2 play off finals, 4 opposition players sent off. We don’t deserve to be where we are :lol:

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:45 am

I visited a good friend of mine from University the other day. It has been two and a half years since we last caught up. So glad we did.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:51 am

Chobulous wrote:2 play off finals, 4 opposition players sent off. We don’t deserve to be where we are :lol:
good point that Chobulous...but we never get a penalty! :(

UTC :D