Rugby World Cup

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 am

Italy v Namibia done and dusted.
Ireland v Scotland at 08.45. Key game for both with Ireland having been faltering a bit (from their high) in recent games and Scotland having a lot of flair players.
I'm neutral here but had a bet on Scotland to win by 1-5 points.

England should deal with Tonga after that but Tonga will give everything until they maybe run out of steam.
Difficult to fit showering/shaving & breakfasting in betweem all these morning games.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am

best moment so far

https://twitter.com/sparknzsport/status ... 3203603456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:44 am

Scotland taking a pounding 27-3 down in the last few minutes,Ireland heading for a bonus point win,thought this would have been closer,but the Scots have been dire,unless they drastically improve in their coming games it'll be an early exit.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

tiger76 wrote:Scotland taking a pounding 27-3 down in the last few minutes,Ireland heading for a bonus point win,thought this would have been closer,but the Scots have been dire,unless they drastically improve in their coming games it'll be an early exit.
World Cup? Scotland coming home early? ....nothing new there move on. :lol:

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Unfortunately, it will now probably be a shoot out between Japan and Scotland for the 2nd place spot, who will in all probability have the honour of a quarter final against New Zealand ...

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Italy was easy enough even thou they had a slow start .
Ireland were very good and made the Scots look poor .
England did what they had to do simple as that ,
Still waiting on the first big shock , now it will come

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:13 am

Tribesmen wrote:Italy was easy enough even thou they had a slow start .
Ireland were very good and made the Scots look poor .
England did what they had to do simple as that ,
Still waiting on the first big shock , now it will come
Well! that Japan-Ireland result was a coupon buster,19-12 to the hosts,throws Pool A wide open now.

How bad must the Scots be,they were hammered by Ireland,on current form you wouldn't favour them against Japan.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:58 pm

tiger76 wrote:Well! that Japan-Ireland result was a coupon buster,19-12 to the hosts,throws Pool A wide open now.

How bad must the Scots be,they were hammered by Ireland,on current form you wouldn't favour them against Japan.
Ireland were dire. Same old plodding rugby, nothing inventive in their play even when they were losing. They deserved to lose and will be out next round if they play like that again.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Strange performance from Ireland, they were excellent in every department against Scotland. If Japan beat Scotland, which wouldn't be a huge shock, that's the difference between facing South Africa or NZ in all likelihood. Certainly spices up that group!

Looking forward to England's first stern test, expect them to beat the pumas but I'm not convinced by Ford at 10, never have. I'm kind of hoping by the knock out stages we'll have Farrell at 10 with Slade or Joseph coming in at 13.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:56 pm

For all that Japan played absolutely top of their game (all credit for that), it was a very lacklustre Irish performance. It's difficult to know why that effort was so much down on the one v Scotland but the coaches need to work that out and correct it or they wont get a long way in the competition. If Japan win their remaining matches, Ireland will probably end up 2nd and face NZ in the QF.
I'm really looking forward to Wales v Australia tomorrow now. Oz were a real bogey team for Wales but Wales managed a very tight low scoring win last time the played- in Cardiff. Cant see it being a tryfest.

England not playing until next Saturday now - having played their first two pretty close together. I'd like to see Slade or Joseph at 13 too but Eddie seems to like playing Farrell 12 and Tuilagi 13 so I expect that will be it with Ford at 10.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Hell of an atmosphere at the Japan game today, it was incredible. That's rally ignited the tournament now.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:56 pm

The hooter goes for 80 mins time up,so the Irishman kicks the ball out on the full to end the game .. Must have had enough ..lol

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:05 pm

If England beat Argentina in their next game,next Saturday, do they go all out to beat France and probably meet Australia and then New Zealand if they win the quarter final, or if they lose to France they would play Wales in the quarter final?

Personally , I would prefer they go via Australia and New Zealand. They would have to beat the all blacks to win it at some point.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Wales v Aussies was a great game.

Any longer and the Aussies win that one. We have better replacements than Wales and will need to.

Wales were good early on but I think England can beat both tbh.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:41 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:If England beat Argentina in their next game,next Saturday, do they go all out to beat France and probably meet Australia and then New Zealand if they win the quarter final, or if they lose to France they would play Wales in the quarter final?

Personally , I would prefer they go via Australia and New Zealand. They would have to beat the all blacks to win it at some point.
TBH it doesn't matter who England face in the KO'S,would you really say Wales will be an easier prospect than either of the Southern hemisphere sides,just go out to win the group games and deal with the next round when it comes.

That's a hell of a statement by the Welsh this morning,so often they've come up just short against the Wallabies,tough shift for them in that 2nd half,but it'll do their self-belief a power of good that they held on given the Australian onslaught,Gareth Davies was outstanding in the first 40,deservedly named MOTM.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Are the English going to tank their game v France to try and avoid new Zealand?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Wales through after a bruising win over Fiji,could have come at a cost,they'll be hoping their walking wounded can recover in time for the QF,whether it's England or France they'll face.

Concerns regarding the weekend fixtures,Saturday in particular,as a typhoon is heading for the Japanese mainland,there's rumours that the England/France game might be relocated,but it's very short notice and a logistical nightmare,so this would only be done as a last resort.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Yes that Wales v Fiji clash was "very physical" indeed. Looked to be quite a few worrying Wales injuries by the end - especially Josh Adams, given the form he's been in this year on the left wing. Wales have a game against Uruguay on Sunday too but they should win that OK whilst resting key A team men. Then probably a week off before playing whoever comes 2nd in England/France group.

If the England v France game is cancelled due to the typhoon, seems it'd just be 2 points each with no re-arrangement; that'd suit England- winning group without risking the players in "Le Crunch"

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

LeadBelly wrote:Yes that Wales v Fiji clash was "very physical" indeed. Looked to be quite a few worrying Wales injuries by the end - especially Josh Adams, given the form he's been in this year on the left wing. Wales have a game against Uruguay on Sunday too but they should win that OK whilst resting key A team men. Then probably a week off before playing whoever comes 2nd in England/France group.

If the England v France game is cancelled due to the typhoon, seems it'd just be 2 points each with no re-arrangement; that'd suit England- winning group without risking the players in "Le Crunch"
World Rugby will make a final decision tomorrow,TBH if the Eng/Fra game is called off it's not a major deal.both have already booked their places in the KO'S.

It will give both squads more rest time before the QF,but this can be a double-edged sword as the rhythm of a tournament can be lost,the advantage for Wales is they are match hardened due to fierce battles with Australia and Fiji,the downside for the men from the valleys is the long injury list.

The bigger issue could come in the Ireland/Japan/Scotland group,Ireland/Samoa and Scotland/Japan are under threat of postponement,if this turns out to be the case Scotland will be out,surprisingly there is no leeway for group games to be played on another day,it would be typical of the sweaty socks luck for that to happen,but they only have themselves to blame for performing so poorly in their opener against the Irish.

If the final games aren't played in group A,amazingly Japan would top the group,not many would have predicated that outcome a few weeks ago.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:59 pm

I think in the 1974 World Cup, Scotland were the only participant not to lose a game, and still went home, having not made it through the Group stages ..

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 am

England/France game off,as is New Zealand/Italy,Ireland game set to go ahead,Scotland game still in doubt,i can't see how they can play one Group A game but not the other,even if this means finding an alternative venue,it would be the ultimate hard luck story for the Scots if they went home due to the weather.

Caballo

Post by Caballo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:30 pm

tiger76 wrote:it would be the ultimate hard luck story for the Scots if they went home due to the weather.

As opposed to getting beaten by Japan and going home, which there is a very strong possibility of.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Cancelling the Eng v Fr and NZ v Italy games was an easy enough call I think, given the likely disruption/danger threatened by the typhoon.

England & France were going to be the top 2 in Group C whatever, a Fr win would've put them above England but the only practical thing affected would be which of them plays Wales or Australia & not much difference between those teams given the 29-24 score in their earlier game.

NZ were going to finish top, SA 2nd and Italy 3rd in Group B anyway so nothing lost there- except a couple of retiring Italian players being unable to bow out of WC rugby.

Sc v Japan is a much more difficult one, it cant really be cancelled so that Sc dont get a chance to have a good win and climb above Japan; that would look hugely biased towards the hosts. They'll do all they can to get that one played somewhere.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Sergio Parisse saying NZ v Italy would not have been called off it it was NZ who needed the win. Sad to say I agree with him. You shouldn’t be knocked out of an every 4 years world cup because of the weather. They would probably have lost anyway but they have earned the right to play the match.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm

So are they going to reimburse the fans who've spent 1000s to follow their team ?

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am

LeadBelly wrote:Sc v Japan is a much more difficult one, it cant really be cancelled so that Sc dont get a chance to have a good win and climb above Japan; that would look hugely biased towards the hosts. They'll do all they can to get that one played somewhere.
But they have already said it will be declared a draw if it's cancelled and Japan will qualify at Scotlands expense. That is the rules and what Scotland and every other country agreed to so Scotland haven't a leg to stand on and I doubt that their legal appeal will make any difference.

I think it absolutely stinks and will look like complete bias towards the host nation which to be fair to them it isn't. All Scotland can hope for is the weather be suitable for the game to go ahead. The only legal appeal they will have is if the game is cancelled and the weather is considered good enough to play in in Scotlands opinion.

It's a total farce that a country can prepare for the most important competition in the world which is only held every four years and then go out because of the weather. I really hope this game goes ahead, if it doesn't then I doubt I'll even bother watching the rest of the competition, it would really leave a sick taste in the mouth.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:34 am

It will be hilarious if the Scots go out in that way...

They should have beaten Ireland then they wouldn’t be in this mess... :o

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:40 am

Hibsclaret wrote:It will be hilarious if the Scots go out in that way...

They should have beaten Ireland then they wouldn’t be in this mess... :o
This isn't just about Scotland though, it's about a ridiculous rule that should never have been agreed in the first place. Imagine not qualifying in the Champions League or a team not getting promoted to the Premier League because they needed a win in their last games and the match was declared a draw because the weather was inclement when the match was due to be played.

I really can't find anything amusing about it at all. Regardless of the fact that it's Scotland, a whole squad of coaches and players will be let down by the system.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:43 am

As far as I can see Japan have played the same teams as Scotland and have a better record so deserve to go through at this point. Tough luck Scotland..... lol
Last edited by Hibsclaret on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:As far as I can see Japan have played the same teams as Scotland and have a better record so deserve to go through at this point. Tough luck Scotland..... lol
That's a totally unfair remark Hibs.. Scotland should be given the chance to play against the Japan side ..There should have been contingency plans put in place for this ..The rugby Yawnion hierachy are making an utter balls up of it.. :D

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Fair or unfair. Tough luck Scotties. Lol

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 pm

They have had so much advance warning all these matches could have been moved to a safe zone. Even if it meant minimum attendance.

Caballo

Post by Caballo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Worst thing that could happen to Scottish rugby. Not being beaten by the weather, not being beaten by Japan. Scotland have been awful this tournament if they lose to the weather and not Japan ( haven't seen anything to suggest a different result) then they wont go away and evaluate things properly with the opportunity to do things differently in future. They'll just whine it's not fair change nothing and get spanked all over Europe in the spring.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 am

Great to see the Scots get the chance to play.

Looking forward to seeing them whine when they either get stuffed today or in the QF.....it will all be someone else’s fault.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Great to see the Scots get the chance to play.

Looking forward to seeing them whine when they either get stuffed today or in the QF.....it will all be someone else’s fault.
Are you going to have a pint to celebrate. What is it you drink again? Bitter?

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 am

It seems the French were betting on the hurricane getting the win so Japan v Scotland has been replaced by some rather sickly soap opera omnibus.
Still we've kept it on in hope that some rugby players emerge from the cheap set.
Better than eastenders, I suppose.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Great game so far. Come on you Japs.... :o
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Japan 2nd try :D

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Bosscat wrote:Japan 2nd try :D
Fantastic. Great passing. Really top stuff

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm

日本に来て

Nihon ni kite

Come on Japan

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Japans open field running is a joy to watch. The better side so far.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Reckon the jocks got away with that high tackle....could have been a yellow for me

They probably threatened legal action....

Caballo

Post by Caballo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Reckon the jocks got away with that high tackle....could have been a yellow for me

They probably threatened legal action....
Not for me, started low, hit the shoulder first and japanese guy was falling into the challenge. Point of contact not direct to the head is a yellow, mitigated by the height of the tackled player. Decision penalty only.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Come on Scotland...said the wife,as I had a little giggle to myself :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Sexy rugby this from the Japanese.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Oh dear Ho dear Oh dear Scotland concede yet another try :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant :D

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Nips are taking the **** now.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:59 pm

23 people dead, 16 still missing and destruction across the country is not “inclement weather”

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Scotland fighting back here ... great match

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Cracking game this. Japan have tightened up again. Still time for 2 Scottish tries. Come on you Japs!!!