Danny Drinkwater

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:34 am

jrgbfc wrote:Don't worry if Drinkwater played for another club the same people defending him would be calling him all the names under the sun. Plus they don't want to admit that we've had another summer where Dyche and the Board have failed to adequately strengthen our team.
Not sure who’s defending Drinkwater to be honest. But he’s currently a Burnley player - he did something stupid has since spoken to the manager and they appear to have put it behind them with a view to him resurrecting his career and strengthening our team as a result.

The new video is part of the same incident. Are we going to wet our knickers every time a new snipet of information or a video from a new angle is leaked?

Dyche has had words with Drinkwater and they’ve both decided to get on with things. Dyche knows the lad better than you and I - he also knows more about the incident than you and I. So I would prefer to trust Dyche’s judgement here because he’s earned that - whereas you haven’t.

And this has nothing to do with defending the club’s transfer window. This incident occurred after we signed Drinkwater so unless Dyche and the board had psychic abilities then they couldn’t have predicted this.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Quicknick

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:38 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Jesus Christ and Muhammad are historical figures. God and Allah are myths.
Whilst Muhammad is certainly a figure in real history, almost contemporaneous with, let’s say, Charlemagne, and with similar contemporary accounts of his life and activities, Jesus is less so.
There is precious little contemporary corroborative evidence, outside of the Gospels, about his life at all. If you compare him to, let’s say, Caesar Augustus, of roughly the same era, it’s almost as if he never existed(and I am not saying he did or didn’t).
Compared to Muhammad, Jesus is a very shadowy historical figure.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:44 am

Rileybobs wrote:
And this has nothing to do with defending the club’s transfer window. This incident occurred after we signed Drinkwater so unless Dyche and the board had psychic abilities then they couldn’t have predicted this.
It has everything to do with the transfer window because of our failure to sign a centre mid we ended up scratching around at the 11th hour and having to take a punt on a lad who hasn't played for 2 years and clearly has some off field issues.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish boatshed bill

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 am

The video changes what? We knew he had acted a dickhead and been involved in a scuffle whilst drunk after trying to get off with a Scunthorpe players missus.

I’d have sent him back there and then when the story initially came out as it struck me that the guy cares more about getting rat arsed and getting off with lasses than trying to rebuild his career.

However, Dyche made his choice - and I support Sean Dyche’s decisions. If he believes there is something to recover from this transfer and that Drinkwater can still contribute then that’s it as far as I’m concerned. This video changes nothing to the narrative from the other week or the outcome after his meeting with Dyche. As far as I’m concerned the matter is closed, but he is obviously on very thin ice.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:54 am

jrgbfc wrote:It has everything to do with the transfer window because of our failure to sign a centre mid we ended up scratching around at the 11th hour and having to take a punt on a lad who hasn't played for 2 years and clearly has some off field issues.

It's been said almost a million times that the DD deal took around a week to complete, so hardly 11th hour.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Mods: I think we need to merge the threads - just in case someone thinks that the fight outside the night club and the video are two different events.

What's the difference between DD and many other sportsmen who've got themselves into "trouble" sometimes in their life? Didn't we all have Ben Stokes down as a hero - how soon can he gat an honour etc etc - and a little bit before he had been dropped by England and was up in court for events outside a club in Bristol.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:03 pm

AndyClaret wrote:On the grass.
He’s tvvwatted the person who filmed it?

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:03 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:It's been said almost a million times that the DD deal took around a week to complete, so hardly 11th hour.
It may not have been last last minute, but it was a. Wet late in the window, make-do-and-mend type signing, that our approach to actually improving the midfield of the First 11 has got us into.
He came, not ready for the First Team, and his off the field shenanigans have pushed him even further back.
I really hope we can turn him around and he then signs for us, but he was nothing more than a “he’ll have to do” signing.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Mods: I think we need to merge the threads - just in case someone thinks that the fight outside the night club and the video are two different events.

What's the difference between DD and many other sportsmen who've got themselves into "trouble" sometimes in their life? Didn't we all have Ben Stokes down as a hero - how soon can he gat an honour etc etc - and a little bit before he had been dropped by England and was up in court for events outside a club in Bristol.
Two different events if drinkwater was the aggressor inside the club, then later outside, the victim. Perhaps he only ever told dyche the victim version

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:10 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Mods: I think we need to merge the threads - just in case someone thinks that the fight outside the night club and the video are two different events.

First, Ben Stokes doesn't play for Burnley.
Second, he was acquitted.
Third, he was suspended, and heavily fined.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Be good if we draw Scunthorpe in cup.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Not sure who’s defending Drinkwater to be honest. But he’s currently a Burnley player - he did something stupid has since spoken to the manager and they appear to have put it behind them with a view to him resurrecting his career and strengthening our team as a result.

The new video is part of the same incident. Are we going to wet our knickers every time a new snipet of information or a video from a new angle is leaked?

Dyche has had words with Drinkwater and they’ve both decided to get on with things. Dyche knows the lad better than you and I - he also knows more about the incident than you and I. So I would prefer to trust Dyche’s judgement here because he’s earned that - whereas you haven’t.

It would of been better for DD for the entire story and video to come out together.
But most of us thought he just got battered for being an arse, not deserving 6 lads trying to end his career.

The head butt changes the story completely.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2216 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It would of been better for DD for the entire story and video to come out together.
But most of us thought he just got battered for being an arse, not deserving 6 lads trying to end his career.

The head butt changes the story completely.
No, it doesn't.

It's just you being an argumentative arse :roll:

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:01 pm

How do posters know Dyche hasn’t already seen the video?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 pm

fidelcastro wrote:No, it doesn't.

It's just you being an argumentative arse :roll:
Wow

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:15 pm

What the club need to do is employ a manager to deal with incidents like this behind closed doors!

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:06 pm

It never ceases to amaze me, the speed with which some posters on here are willing to give up on people who play for the club. No one on here knows exactly what happened, perhaps the chap deserved a slap, we have no idea. The Scunthorpe player then got his pals to beat up Drinkwater, allegedly, shouting break his leg. Yet some on here are saying our player is a bad egg.

Beggars belief. Personally hope he puts this behind him and becomes a regular for our club.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Does anyone know if it's likely Drinkwater will be in the squad for Saturday's game?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Does anyone know if it's likely Drinkwater will be in the squad for Saturday's game?
I doubt it. I'd say it's more likely he's nowhere near ready.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Does anyone know if it's likely Drinkwater will be in the squad for Saturday's game?
He hasn't sobered up yet!
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I doubt it. I'd say it's more likely he's nowhere near ready.
Thanks. Fingers crossed that Hendrick gets through the Ireland match unscathed tomorrow then!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:24 pm

He won't be available the week after against his parent club so he's probably being aimed Sheff Utd onwards.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:He's probably being aimed Sheff Utd onwards.
I would be aiming him back down the M6/M42/M40

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2970 times
Has Liked: 2069 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Not really worked out so far has it ?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Who?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 pm

Last update was that he was working with the medical staff and would then need to get back full time and have some game time before being considered.

Will be interesting to see how close he is to making it for Sheff U.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Last update was that he was working with the medical staff and would then need to get back full time and have some game time before being considered.

To be fair, I've got about as much chance of playing for Burnley :D

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm

If you go Sheffield on 2nd Nov you've more chance of seeing him down Gatecrashers birthday celebrations than down Bramall Lane

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:18 pm

He owes us, but to be honest he also owes himself.
He isnt the first footballer to make an arse of himself, so long as hes learnt, and determined to come back stronger, he could still be a good signing for us. Does he really want to go down with that carry on as the last thing people remember him for. I hope not.
After what hes been through the last couple of years, he couldn't come to a better club, or to a better manager, than hes found here. The rest is up to him.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 pm

So many do gooders on here, personally I trust Dyche on this one, I think Drinkwater will be an asset for us when fit, excellent player.

Sure he made a drunken mistake but our own fans calling one of our own players a tosser? 1 even tried to spin it into a racist attack because the other fella was black, like what is wrong with you idiots?

Isn’t this the time we should be behind our own player and support him? I’m sure he knows he fked up and will suffer the consequences that come with it.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 pm

Depends what is up with his head KRBFC if he does have a problem in there.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 am

KRBFC wrote:So many do gooders on here, personally I trust Dyche on this one, I think Drinkwater will be an asset for us when fit, excellent player.

Sure he made a drunken mistake but our own fans calling one of our own players a tosser? 1 even tried to spin it into a racist attack because the other fella was black, like what is wrong with you idiots?

Isn’t this the time we should be behind our own player and support him? I’m sure he knows he fked up and will suffer the consequences that come with it.
Coming from you this is way way beyond irony
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Silkyskills1 Anonymous

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 am

Tricky one - the manager might use this opportunity to put him on the bench (although unlikely to play) as part of his mental recovery. DD is certain to get a good reception from the Leicester fans.

A big part of the player’s troubles is that he hasn’t been accepted by any other set of fans for years and has done nothing yet to earn support from our own. He is not a Claret yet.

Also the fans recognise the temporary nature of his loan and the limited time he has left - time wasted by his own stupidity. Given that Chelsea will want to recover some big money and the player will not want a big drop in wages, It’s difficult to see any future for DD at Burnley. The club will surely be looking for a long term replacement already for recruitment in January.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am

Unless we’ve done a deal to extend his loan or take him full-time it’s very hard to see him making an impact now.

We’re halfway through the 5 month loan. He’s yet to play a minute of PL football for us and doesn’t even have any U23 games under his belt since the latest setback.

Once he’s deemed fit enough he’s going to have to convince SD he’s worthy of a place in the first XI. That’d mean getting above Hendrick in the pecking order AND then rising above Cork or Westwood.

Chances of all that happening in the next 2.5 months?
Last edited by agreenwood on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am

IWOODLOVETT wrote:Tricky one - the manager might use this opportunity to put him on the bench (although unlikely to play) as part of his mental recovery. DD is certain to get a good reception from the Leicester fans.

A big part of the player’s troubles is that he hasn’t been accepted by any other set of fans for years and has done nothing yet to earn support from our own. He is not a Claret yet.

Also the fans recognise the temporary nature of his loan and the limited time he has left - time wasted by his own stupidity. Given that Chelsea will want to recover some big money and the player will not want a big drop in wages, It’s difficult to see any future for DD at Burnley. The club will surely be looking for a long term replacement already for recruitment in January.
IMO Drinkwater will never ever be a Claret.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm

He missed his big chance when Cork was injured.

Chances like that don't come around to often. I can't see another gap opening up for him whilst he is on loan with us.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5155 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 pm

This should have been his big chance to shine unfortunately.

But Hendrick has done superbly.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

claret2018
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:52 pm

I'd be surprised if he plays for us again, unless we have injuries towards the end of the year.

It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but what can you do.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Can’t see him starting a game for us. Hopefully we won’t need him and Hendrick can maintain recent performance levels which have been excellent.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:Coming from you this is way way beyond irony
I put a supportive post and out you pop to try cause a bite, let it go, it’s tedious and incredibly boring.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:51 pm

KRBFC wrote:I put a supportive post and out you pop to try cause a bite, let it go, it’s tedious and incredibly boring.
Not at all - I posted it because for years you find criticism in the team and Dyche many times for no reason and then when Drinkwater commits an act of total stupidity which warrants criticism you choose to come out and support him.
If you are going to post rubbish to seek a bit of attention then expect to be called out for it.
These 3 users liked this post: Funkydrummer Silkyskills1 Burnley Ace

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm

“That’d mean getting above Hendrick in the pecking order AND then rising above Cork and Westwood “

With respect to our highly committed workhorses the bar isn’t really set that high in all fairness . A fit DD offers far more than either of the 3 . Though barring injury I can’t really see him getting the chance he needs to establish .That said couple of good games and the odd goal in late Nov could put a whole new look to it all.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Last update was that he was working with the medical staff and would then need to get back full time and have some game time before being considered.

What exactly is his injury ?

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Maybe it's Drinkwater's presence that's inspired Hendrick to better performances.

In which case it's achieved something.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Maybe it's Drinkwater's presence that's inspired Hendrick to better performances.

That crossed my mind.
Or you could look at it as had DD been fit we may not have seen these good performances by JH.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1618 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 pm

jojomk1 wrote:What exactly is his injury ?
He's recovering from having his penis removed from his forehead.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 pm

jojomk1 wrote:What exactly is his injury ?
Ankle ligament injury

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7173 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:He's recovering from having his penis removed from his forehead.
Stupid comment.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Maybe it's Drinkwater's presence that's inspired Hendrick to better performances.

Hendrick has always been a decent performer

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 pm

joey13 wrote:Hendrick has always been a decent performer
You're quite right, I agree, but there's always room for improvement as has happened with Hendrick.